• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Prussia reloaded

Praise Johan! The new version of 4.1b seems to fix the issue that corrupted my game - I was able to play 30 years with no corruption...(I started from scratch)

Without further adieu, let's go go go!

Deja vu is good for us, not Saxony.
p01adowsaxony.png

The start of game wars:
Brunswick v. Lunesburg
Holstein v. Bremen
Tuscany v. Modena
Palatinate v. Baden
Bavaria v. Ansbach

We RM France on the hope for a PU after Louis XIV kicks the bucket.

May 12: Hesse offers Alliance. This won't last, but why not?

July 4: Saxony's 2K army is wiped out in Potsdam, and we start the sieges. Snooore.

November 1: Slider move to Quality - we get a commandant. Because we need more discipline.

January 18, 1689: PU with France! Hrm. Guess we're going to be at war a lot. On the bright side, France has 10x as many troops as me currently (128K to 13K)
p01apuwithfrance.png

Kick it off by DoWing Munster, bringing in Mantua, Parma, and the Netherlands.
p01adowmunster.png

Unfortunately, Wurzburg got to Thuringen first and has that siege from Saxony.

February 1: DoW Palatinate. This should keep France busy.
p01adowpalatinate.png

March 29: Ansbach is the first casualty of the game, being annexed by Bavaria. Hrm...deja vu all over again. :)

April 17: Bremen declares war on Brunswick.

September 18: Denmark offers alliance. We accept.

December 8: All of Saxony (except Thuringen to Wurzburg) has fallen, but Sweden has invaded from Vorpommern. Unfortunately for Sweden, our armies manage to turn them back outside Berlin.
p01abofbrandenburg.png

The Palatinate has fallen to French forces, so we vassalize them. Force vassalization is useful in this patch, since diploannexing is a stabhit, not a centralization hit.
p01avassalizepalatinate.png

February 4: Sweden's army surrenders in Vorpommern. We quickly assault the province to keep Sweden out.
p01abofvorpommern.png

February 11: Hansa takes Luneburg and Brunswick from Brunswick.

March 1: Saxony cedes Thuringen to Wurzburg, and everything else to us, rendering them an OPM.
p01apeacewithsaxony.png

The new map:
p01amapofbrandenburg.png

Chapter 2 (again): The first Polish war

September 16, 1690: The Hanseatic League declares war on Bremen. They're trying to blob just like me. Awww...

December 24: Munster's army is wiped out in Westfalen.

January 9, 1691: France takes out Parma, and we force-convert them for lack of anything better to do. In return, Russia sends us war subsidies. I could get used to this (it's more than my normal monthly income)
p02aparmapeace.png
p02arussiaws.png

May 1: Government 33 gives us a new idea. We take Cabinet.

May 16: The war in Munster starts becoming a problem - France can't get there, and the Netherlands is just strong enough to keep me from assaulting.
p02abofosnabruck.png

November 22: To avoid a border with the Netherlands just yet, we just take Westfalen from Munster. We also force the Netherlands to release Maldive and Makassar.

December 1: War college started in Brandenburg.

February 9, 1692: Declare war on Hanseatic League. Time to see if we can take Poland.
p02adowhansa.png

July 28: Poland goes right after Memel and Ostpreussen, taken Hinterpommern (driving my fleet out to sea of 2 Merchantmen and killing them)...then gets stopped cold in Brandenburg. We peace out with the Hanseatic League for Luneburg and Brunswick, since we can't seem to keep Poland off our back. We're too poor to have 2 armies yet...
p02abofbrandenburg.png

p02apeacehansa.png

August 13: Fort decays event. We eat 100 ducats. This event is a consequence of being Offensive. Defensive is better for my style of play, but I can't afford slider moves for it yet.

September 11: Poland tries again in Brandenburg. Same result.
p02abofbrandenburg2.png

September 30: Poland attacks Brandenburg again before I can regain morale. This time, my infantry bugs out. My main problem is that I'm running short on Manpower.
p02abofbrandenburg3.png

October 23: The Poles are kicked out of Potsdam now that my army has morale.
p02abofpotsdam.png

November 9: Russia sends more subsidies: 47.47 ducats/month. The Polish army gets wiped out at Berlin.
p02abofbrandenburg4.png

January 5: I can beat the Polish armies, but I can't chance an invasion, so we peace out. It took this long for Poland to give me a good deal (seeing as they still occupy 3 provinces, but have lost a lot of battles and men).
p02apolishpeace.png

Yayyyy. You're back! :)
Russia was sending you a lot of war subsidies, do you know what their monthly income is/was?

So, you just go France in all your games? :rofl:

This, like your previous games from the same starting point, reminds me what an interesting time in history this was.

JDMS: Never occurred to me to check. Heh.

Malurous: Given that Louis has been king 40+ years at game start and starts with no heir, it's an obvious ploy.

Enewald: Besides them holding Danzig and Warmia?

I was hoping to update tonight, but the schedule is all hosed. Expect an update tomorrow!

Chapter 3: Keeping Big Brother Blob busy

April 22, 1693: We can't stay at peace, so we DoW Hesse. The Swedish war is still ongoing anyway - we have captured Vorpommern, but Sweden refuses to see the light and give up.
p03adowhesse.png

July 23: Weeping song event - lose 2 WE for 40 ducats. Not a hard choice.

February 27, 1694: Austria offers us alliance. Hell yeah! We celebrate by OPMing Hesse.
p03aopmhesse.png

March 4: DoW Bavaria. Austria bails, but Poland comes to Bavaria's aid. Again, our tactic is to take out Bavaria first - since we have a lot of level 2-3 forts, Poland can't just blitzkrieg through us. We eat 2 stability and 2 WE for having good relations and an RM - can't really be helped, though. We need provinces that they have to form Germany, and they have a lot of provinces to take.
p03adowbavaria.png

March 12: More Russian war subsidies: 49.29/mo.

April 17: Oh noes! They should have named this expansion "Rise of the Regency Councils"
p03aregency.png

May 11: Wurttemburg cedes Konstanz to Bavaria. More for me!

June 5: Venice offers alliance. We accept.

October: Hey look: French troops and Brandenburgian troops are fighting in the same war at the same time! Before, it was always one or the other. 2 problems: Bavaria's problem is in the battle, and our problem is that France is getting these provinces. Not good.
p03auhoh.png

April 19, 1695: More war subsidies from Russia: 52.08/mo.

May 3: Since France took most of the provinces and is beating us to the rest, we peace out for Anhalt and Thuringen. Crap.
p03abavarianpeace.png

June 7: Poland takes Berlin just in time for French and Brandenburgian soldiers to show up.
p03abofbrandenburg.png

November 5: Unfavorable relations event - we get tossed out as an elector. Pooh.
p03aunfavrelations.png

February 27, 1696: Petition for redress. Free slider move to Free Subjects.

May 14: More war subsidies from Russia: 51.93/mo.

July 11: Favorable relations event - we become an elector again. Austria seems to be conflicted...
p03afavrelations.png

November 11: After retaking Berlin and Hinterpommern, we sue for White Peace from Poland. No point eating lots of infamy now, when I can use a CB later.

In better news, Sweden finally gives up Vorpommern. We eat the extra infamy so we don't have to go to war with Sweden again and try to cross the Baltic without a fleet. The war lasted this long partly because Sweden had taken Guadaloupe (in the Caribbean) from France and was sitting on it.
p03aswedishpeace.png

November 13: We form the Kingdom of Prussia, and take Prussian Military Reforms. Let Europe tremble in our path!
p03akopresult.png

p03aprussianmilitaryref.png

Uh oh. We've made a mistake. Can anyone guess?

Switching out of Brandenburg dissolves the PU with France?

Just like to say that having read your other AARs I'm immensely impressed by your grasp of the game. I'm still struggling to play the majors properly.

Those subsidies from Russia were pretty useful - I have a feeling they may one day regret being so helpful.

You're at peace, can't DoW because of the regency and the French don't like that?

This seems good, the Casus Belli system in HTTT is interesting, could anyone describe it? I have EU3 Complete, so I play IN. I found Brandenburh rather hard to play at this time period, its a wonder how you are managing so well.

Chapter 4: Insults and Reverse nationalism

February 12, 1697: The first French insult arrives, since we're not at war with them and they have a much larger army. I could probably build a large enough army, but I'd have to mint a lot to pay for it and pay upkeep, so we'll just have to endure some insults.
p04afrenchinsult.png

March 7: Diplomatic insult event. I need this event more often.
p04adiploinsult.png

April 22: Venice declares war on Genoa. No big deal, except Austria and I are allied to Venice, and Spain is allied with Genoa. We join in, which turns out to be a bad idea, since there's nothing worth doing in this war for us...

April 26: Let's get a new general before our tradition burns away: 6/3/5/2. Too bad he dies before I can start a war. C'est la vie.

May 29: Cologne DoW's Mainz via the nationalism CB.

August 1: Weapons manu in Meissen and Potsdam.

January 12, 1698: Huh...no wonder I've had revolt problems. 10.26 WE, Spain's blockades are reducing my WE burn to .06/month, and I can't get any good advisors due to no cultural tradition. Spain also won't let me out of the war cheaply, the bastards.

March 23, 1699: Poland warns us not to declare war on our neighbors. Maybe the AI should look to see if we can declare a war before warring - it does this a lot.

August 23: Hinterpommern assimilates to Prussian.

January 4, 1700: A Spanish army shows up.
p04abofnassau.png

February 24: The Hansa annexes Brunswick.

September 12: The best event ever. I didn't get a chance to mod in the "OMG IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!!" option, where you get a titanium space shuttle, some nukes, and Steve Buscemi as an advisor.
p04acomet.png

January 7, 1701: The Hansa does a great Prussia impression by DoWing Mecklenburg via the nationalism CB. It's so cute how they beat up on their OPM neighbors...

December 3: We finally manage to diplo-annex the Palatinate on the 5th try at Unlikely. With the new patch, it's -1 stability.
p04adapalatinate.png

May 21: Cologne warns us. Meh.

July 12: Cologne declares war, using the Nationalism CB. WOOHOO!!!! This is a mutual CB, so I'm gonna get some new toys to play with.
p04acolognedow.png

December: Hrm. England, you're doin' it wrong!
p04aenglandfail.png

January 1, 1703: Cologne is forced to become protestant, cede Koblenz, along with the usual other stuff. This will turn out to perhaps not be such a good idea...
p04acolognepeace.png

July 11: WE is down to 5.56. Not being able to shake Spain is getting to be a problem.

September 1, 1703: When Hansa declared war on Mecklenburg, somehow the Netherlands got it instead. This is useful: Mecklenburg is Protestand, and Netherlands are reformed, so we make use of the new spy action: Support Fanatic.

September 13: Hansa declares war using Nationalism CB. Mmm...tasty provinces. I think the AI looks at my WE, relatively small army, and war with Spain and thinks I'm weak...except Spain never attacks, my army is small but in once place, and my WE is less of an issue when they attack, due to the new modifier that gives an RR reduction in same-culture provinces (i.e. all of mine) when someone attacks you. In short, the lone piranha thinks it's gonna eat a tiger shark with a paper cut.
p04ahansadow.png

Novermber 7: The Hansa's army gets pulverized in Altmark. This is my new deathstack, but I didn't have time to get all the infantry and cannons in (it will later be 4/12/12). My cavalry paid for that.
p04abofaltmark.png

January 19, 1704: Sweden declares war to try and regain Vorpommern. Please. The Netherlands and Denmark join in. Not good for the Netherlands - now I can protect my fanatics in Mecklenburg.

Look ma, sieges! I can't remember what war Oldenburg jumped in on, but as you can see, Big Brother Blob took them out for me. I think they just anulled treaties.
p04asieges.png

April 19: Fortification Works (siege engineer event) gives me a free level 4 fort in Brandenburg. This will be useful, since half my enemies are 1 province away from my capitol.

June 1: England breaks.

June 29: National decline event.

November 1: Caesar von Hohenzollern rises to the throne. Our relations with France are about -150, and the cost to bribe them back up will be high (at 3 diplo) for a PU I no longer need, and won't be able to inherit for years. Thus, once Caesar dies, it's adios to the Big Brother Blob.
p04acaesar.png

January 1, 1705: Slider move to Max Quality.

January 5: New general at about 75% tradition: 6/4/5/1.

May 27: The Netherlands tries to dislodge me from Osnabruck. Not happening.

January 1, 1706: England collapses. Their capital ends up moving to Ulster. And yes, that's Cologne. If I hadn't converted them to protestant, I wonder if it would have been me or Hansa that would have gotten those provinces...
p04aenglandfail2.png

January 6: Scotland asks for an alliance, presumably to kick England while they are down. Why not?

February 20: War Subsidies from Austria (26.15/mo).

March 11: Hansa is OPM'd again. As a note: when the war ends, the subsidies go away, so I only got one payment from Austria.
p04ahansapeace.png

Last edited:
This seems good, the Casus Belli system in HTTT is interesting, could anyone describe it? I have EU3 Complete, so I play IN. I found Brandenburh rather hard to play at this time period, its a wonder how you are managing so well.

Sure!

The CB system essentially lets you choose war aims when you go to war with someone. However, you can only choose 1 CB when declaring war, and you can't change midstream. Some of the CB's mimic functionality in IN (the Holy War CB, for example, lets you take provinces at lower infamy from heathens before 1650, just like IN, however, it also reduces the war score cost of provinces).

Every CB lets will reduce the infamy, increase prestige, and reduce peace cost for certain actions. It also affects the war name (no more 241st War of Brandenburgian Aggression). Some CB's are triggered, and have a fixed time limit (such as Conquest CB's for missions, dishonored call CB's, etc).

Two examples:
Nationalism requires Government Tech 30, and halves the badboy and peace cost for provinces of your culture group, or to annex nations in your culture group. You can only use it against nations that hold provinces of your culture group. The war score costs and infamy cost is selectively applied only to eligible provinces, so I can't use it to take Polish provinces from Poland, for example.

Liberation requires Bill of Rights, and the target must either have vassals or be able to release nations. It halves the war score cost to force the target nation to release nations or vassals, and remove nations from their Sphere of Influence (an HTTT mechanic that gives you a CB if anyone does pretty much anything to the target nation).

At the beginning of the game, you won't have as many useful CB's, but as the game goes on, you'll get more, and you have to be careful which CB you want to use. For example, I can use Imperialism or Conquest on Poland - Conquest since I have the mission to connect the Prussian Lands (0% infamy and 25% war score to take Danzig and Warmia), and Imperialism since I'm an Absolute Monarchy (one of 5 govt types that get this CB, giving 75% infamy for all provinces). If I take conquest, then I'll pay dearly to take anything but Danzig and Warmia, but if I use Imperialism, I don't get the reduced infamy/war score cost for Danzig.

Sure!

The CB system essentially lets you choose war aims when you go to war with someone. However, you can only choose 1 CB when declaring war, and you can't change midstream. Some of the CB's mimic functionality in IN (the Holy War CB, for example, lets you take provinces at lower infamy from heathens before 1650, just like IN, however, it also reduces the war score cost of provinces).

Every CB lets will reduce the infamy, increase prestige, and reduce peace cost for certain actions. It also affects the war name (no more 241st War of Brandenburgian Aggression). Some CB's are triggered, and have a fixed time limit (such as Conquest CB's for missions, dishonored call CB's, etc).

Two examples:
Nationalism requires Government Tech 30, and halves the badboy and peace cost for provinces of your culture group, or to annex nations in your culture group. You can only use it against nations that hold provinces of your culture group. The war score costs and infamy cost is selectively applied only to eligible provinces, so I can't use it to take Polish provinces from Poland, for example.

Liberation requires Bill of Rights, and the target must either have vassals or be able to release nations. It halves the war score cost to force the target nation to release nations or vassals, and remove nations from their Sphere of Influence (an HTTT mechanic that gives you a CB if anyone does pretty much anything to the target nation).

At the beginning of the game, you won't have as many useful CB's, but as the game goes on, you'll get more, and you have to be careful which CB you want to use. For example, I can use Imperialism or Conquest on Poland - Conquest since I have the mission to connect the Prussian Lands (0% infamy and 25% war score to take Danzig and Warmia), and Imperialism since I'm an Absolute Monarchy (one of 5 govt types that get this CB, giving 75% infamy for all provinces). If I take conquest, then I'll pay dearly to take anything but Danzig and Warmia, but if I use Imperialism, I don't get the reduced infamy/war score cost for Danzig.

Ah, finally missions give you CBs!
Spheres of Influence sound like a godsend for those nations which have 200 relations, alliance, RM, etc but still dont want to be vassalised.

Ah, finally missions give you CBs!
Spheres of Influence sound like a godsend for those nations which have 200 relations, alliance, RM, etc but still dont want to be vassalised.

The downside is that once under someone's sphere, the AI tends to not renew guarantees, so it actually is easier to take out the nation inside the sphere of influence, since only one major nation is protecting them. Other than that, it's quite neat. :)

The downside is that once under someone's sphere, the AI tends to not renew guarantees, so it actually is easier to take out the nation inside the sphere of influence, since only one major nation is protecting them. Other than that, it's quite neat. :)

Sounds good. So does nationalism, I guess its pretty useful in Germany.
You said you didnt have a good chance of inheriting France. Isnt inheriting a fixed 10% chance per monarch?