• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
no, you need to host the images elsewhere - photobucket/imageshack et al, here's an idea how I lay it out (its from the last update to my EU3 AAR:

In effect the numbers 1/2 etc relate to an image, I then upload that image and embed it at the spot I've indicated. If I work on an update offline (say a long train journey), I may embed more code into the text (eg ..[/b}, and also the colours I use to indicate different speakers) and so on so its near ready for posting when I get back on line though.

You can embed the links into the document if they reference an image already uploaded, I've never done this as I can't see the gain - I use imageshack's 'uploader' to put the images onto the web and its as easy to copy and paste from that direct into the on-forum post as to the core document.

So you write your AAR offline???? How?

So you write your AAR offline???? How?

Well I can do all but the final upload offline. I prefer if I can to write an update one day, leave it, review it the day after and post it then - this depends a bit on how clear I am about what I want to say (if I can hear voices in head, or have a really clearly narrative, I will sometimes write, revise and post in a short period of time but that is rare). The balance between off-line and on-line varies. But at the least, I'll draft something out while selecting the rough set of images I'll use (sometimes combined) as I tend to take a picture of everything at the time and worry about it later on. I'll then use paint.net to prepare the images. I then tend to rework the text as I now have a better idea of the flow/length, what I am going to show and so on.

If I am still off-line, I may add mark up text to the open office document, otherwise I put the text onto the forum, upload and embed the images, then use the forum utilities for things like bold/centre/colour text etc, check with preview, and put it up. So its a sort of mixed process.

Well I can do all but the final upload offline. I prefer if I can to write an update one day, leave it, review it the day after and post it then - this depends a bit on how clear I am about what I want to say (if I can hear voices in head, or have a really clearly narrative, I will sometimes write, revise and post in a short period of time but that is rare). The balance between off-line and on-line varies. But at the least, I'll draft something out while selecting the rough set of images I'll use (sometimes combined) as I tend to take a picture of everything at the time and worry about it later on. I'll then use paint.net to prepare the images. I then tend to rework the text as I now have a better idea of the flow/length, what I am going to show and so on.

If I am still off-line, I may add mark up text to the open office document, otherwise I put the text onto the forum, upload and embed the images, then use the forum utilities for things like bold/centre/colour text etc, check with preview, and put it up. So its a sort of mixed process.

Riiight...But how do you embed pics?

Where do you actually go within the Paradox forum page to start writting your AAR?
What button do you click? Does someone has an page where I can follow the steps on how to write it?

I already have an very pleasant story I want to tell. Just need a bit of help to find things around here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Where do you actually go within the Paradox forum page to start writting your AAR?
What button do you click? Does someone has an page where I can follow the steps on how to write it?

I already have an very pleasant story I want to tell. Just need a bit of help to find things around here.

This General AAR forum has subforums for each of Paradox's newest games Crusader Kings III, Europa Universalis IV, Hearts of Iron 4, etc. The subforums contain AARs based on the their respective games. If you are writing an AAR based on an earlier version of the game, for example CK2, there is a subforum within in the Crusader Kings 3 - AAR forum for CK2 AARs. So just start you AAR as a new post in the appropriate subforum.

In this general AAR forum, there are stickied posts with some good information such as one with FAQ, one with rules for posting an AAR, and another with discussions on writing an AAR and just writing in general, all which may help you.

If you read through the different AARs in these threads you will see all different types of ways to present a story, there is no hard and fast rule on how to write an AAR. The bottom line is to write the story the way you want to tell it.

Good Luck and I look forward to what you come up with.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you Dunaden, I've come to the subforum of CK2 but I want to know what button do i click once I am there?
Just the thread button in green?

That's what i want to know to be sure I am at the right place, otherwise I'm positing a thread instead of an AAR

Thanks once again

• 1Like
Reactions:
An AAR is just another thread in the forum with your story in it.

So to start a CK2 AAR just go to the Crusader Kings II - After Action Reports (AAR) subforum and start a new thread with the post thread button with the title of your AAR as the thread title, and then add new chapters as new posts in the thread. People will start commenting on your story in the thread once they discover it and you can address their comments as new posts. You can use the threadmark feature within the thread to highlight the actual story chapters to make it easy for people to track the story and skip over the comments if they just want to follow the story.

Reactions:
I don't mean the text itself, but during your game session. Do you take notes on paper?
For example '1100: marriage x to y.'. Or do you write or do something else?
What are your suggestions for someone who wants to write an AAR?

jedi-dragnet01.png

Ladies and gentlemen, the account you are about to see is from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away—from the Legends Continuity, which is the real one. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

This is the City. Coruscant. Triple Zero on the standard Galactic Navigation Chart.

coruscantcityscape_crt.jpg

The most populous planet-wide city in the known cosmos, which started out as a dark, inhospitable, smog-choked, pock-marked ball of rock and metal hurtling around a small yellow star, in slow orbit around a Bermuda Triangle of supermassive black holes. In those respects, it hasn’t changed much since.

According to the latest official census, 1,165,210,872,453 human and extra-terrestrial souls, decent and otherwise, call the 5,127 storeys of real estate here home. With that many sentients to account for, you can bet that it’s awake and bustling at all hours. A lot of things get made and shipped here in Triple Zero. That’s because it’s the biggest industrial centre, and the hub of commerce across twenty-eight separate galactic shipping lanes. A lot of toxic gas and solid waste also gets made and shipped here. That’s because it’s the seat of power for the Republic. Politicians, advisers, aides, accountants, secretaries, filing clerks, think-tank denizens and other less-than-savoury operatives of official business seem to crawl out of every ventilation duct and take up all the oxygen. Too often, those less-than-savoury operatives engage in less-than-official business, and the number of decent inhabitants inexplicably goes down. That’s when I go to work. I wear a robe, and I pack a lightsabre.

revan_gauss.png
It was Friday, May 6th, Year 21,094 of the Republic, 9:42 AM Galactic Standard Time. It was fair and clear in Coruscant’s Upper City, though with a thick covering of the usual smog. We were working day watch out of the Reconciliation Council. The boss is Master Dorak. My partner is Bastila Shan. My name is Revan.

A Sergeant in the AAR precinct, a fellow member of the CSF surnamed Pepper, service number 092, was looking for some pointers on documentation. When you work in law enforcement like we do, proper documentation is incredibly important. Small details, even ones that might seem insignificant, can make or break a report to your superiors, and in a hard city like this one, getting broken is not something easy to recover from. Having a standard system for taking notes really improves your chances when you're taking account of the facts, and just the facts.

Speaking for myself, I don't trust to just my memory. Believe me, when you've been on the Force as long as I have, you can suffer some serious memory problems. Couple of times when I was under deep cover I even forgot which side I was working for. That caused everyone a shipload of problems. Particularly for my rather by-the-book, stodgy partner, who has a tendency to be edgy, critical and overly secretive at the best of times. Truth is, you can't do without the grey matter between your ears. But when it comes to accounting for facts, you really need to have some backup. A well-built assassin droid or even a utility droid will often do the trick, but remember that their memory is always fungible. And when you don't have those, you have to consider your other options.

When you first arrive on the crime scene, before you even begin writing your report, Fn+F11 - the screenshot - is your very best friend. Photography has always been a part of forensic science, and the wonders of technology whether newfangled or legendary and ancient will never cease to amaze. It's funny how looking at a crime scene from several different angles can bring a sense of clarity, sharpen your perspective. Taking a full account of the crime scene can be incredibly valuable, particularly if a crime of passion happens out in a secluded grove on Dantooine, and both of the suspects brought in for questioning sound like they've got something to hide.

Problem is that you can run out of film, or drive space, quite quickly if you don't know what you're doing. And screenshots alone don't give a sense of continuity unless they're organised in some way. When that happens, what I'll do is I'll start cataloguing suspects (characters who might be involved in the action) on a notepad. Often, quite literally, Notepad. Or Word. Usually I'll have a list of suspects, some general facts about their lives (DOB, home address, relationships, personal habits), and I'll keep the whole thing organised in a document entitled, for example, 'Rychnovsky Rulers Version B.doc' in the 'CK3 AARs' folder on my hard drive.

And if you're like me and you want to take account of the bigger picture while you're on a case, you might also want to build a research resources folder for historical references. Have any crimes like this happened before? Have other hypothetical scenarios in other versions of history played out similarly in another past? I don't really go in for metaphysics, I've got my hands full with the reality I live in. But occasionally, finding and then using history books or journal articles on sites like JSTOR or Google Scholar can be a very powerful way of recreating the crime scene for the benefit of the department chief, or the next fellow down the chain of custody, or a jury. Audiences are generally appreciative, but they can be tougher than a judicial review panel of selkath in Ahto City, when the life and reputation of a retired Republic Army officer with a penchant for sleeping with the enemy are on the line.

Well, that's just for starters. It can be a hard city and a hard life, but there's a certain amount of satisfaction that comes with writing after-action reports, and knowing that you're doing something worthwhile that will improve the community. There's a reason I do what I do. I sincerely hope that our friend Sergeant Pepper, service number 092, over in the AAR precinct will find the effort similarly rewarding.

jedi-dragnet-closer.png

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Smoking, thinking, observing, and music. Sometimes booze. More frequently but less than the first three, reading. I've been on a mini-Jane Austen kick lately - Pride and Prejudice, currently reading Emma. The Queen's Gambit sandwiched in between (the Netflix adaptation was better overall and in many ways, thanks to Anya Taylor-Joy's literally mesmerizing performance as Beth, but the novel's still worth a read, as it does some things better)

For the gameplay portions, like everyone else, screenshot (via PrtScrn) and Microsoft Paint, uploading to IMGUR these days.