• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know you are afraid of the right, and we in the right are afraid of you.. but couldn't you just leave that matter be for some time, until the war with Argentina is over? Having those armies, the largest ones in the whole armed forces and the entirety of our fleet, away from the argentininan enemies but instead guarding the capital is something very ineffective for the war. I am not a tactician or a general, just a holy man, but I know that having 70% of our forces defending the capital from a unprobable coup isn't going to do this war any favours...

I am a military man though and am aware that the entire Argentinian army is one brigade. I honestly think half our commanders are timid to be afraid of such a small army. True we took a bruising last time, but they were stronger then and we had inept generals. That is not the case now.

Chile has enough strength to destroy Argentina 20 times over. The size of the military is becoming an embarrassment to the country - half of the army should be deactivated and constituted as part-time militia, Guardia Nacionale.
- Guerrero out

I know I'm supposed to guard the capital. But if you are REALLY afraid Argentina will beat your men send me there. Otherwise shut up. The military are united behind the government, the president and the Chief of Staff.

De Conti 1896-1898: Invasion​

Schmidt's ongoing coup and turmoil within the military severely delayed President De Conti's planned invasion of Argentina as the heavy losses incurred during the May coup necessarily required a period of recuperation for the military as a whole. Additionally, several new brigades had to be raised for De Conti's expanded military to exist: the combined delays amounted to months as the Congreso continued to consider how best to deal with the split between De Conti and Rios. The point was further delayed in April 1896, when the President ordered the invasion of Argentina, and the army of Patagonia and 1st and 2nd Armies of the Republic thundered into Buenos Aires, Chaco, and Jujuy. The 1st Army of the Republic suffered a humiliating loss to Argentina's one brigade (reinforced by 12,000 conscripts) in the Jujuy mountains; the army of Argentina thereafter evaded Chilean forces until after cutting through La Pampa, the Argentinians laughed a foolhardy attack on the Army of Patagonia in Trenque Lauquen in September. The entire Army of Argentina was destroyed in the bloody battle that ensued, and the 1898 Treaty of Rio Cuarto surrendered both Chaco and Jujuy to Chile.

The Germanist government, however, had not lost control of Chile - if anything, Germanism seemed to be expanded. In UPCA, Germanists very nearly overthrew the government, only a timely enactment of the draft saving the republican government. Even so, the Central American state continued to battle Germanist rebels well into 1898. The Germanists met with more success in Spain, where rebel movement succeeded in overthrowing the government in late 1897, a development the Chilean government reacted to with alarm. "We must work to halt the global spread of the Germanist and Andonist philosophies," said President De Conti in a famous speech on the eve of victory in Argentina. "It is a battle for the survival of our way of life and all we hold dear." De Conti found an odd supporter in the Russian Czar, who sent his agreement via diplomatic channels after the publication of "A Manifesto on the Unshakable Autocracy" the same year.

The end of the war also saw a resumption in the Congreso's attempts to clarify the legal standing of the President versus the Chief of Staff, and the showdown between them - which had been delayed two years - finally came to a vote.

-------------------------
Emergency Resolution Initiative

1. The appointments currently proposed by the President shall be placed into effect,
2. This will be a single-instance act, authorising the appointments in this term only,
3. The following term, appointments shall be carried out in conjunction with the Chief of Staff as typical.

Military Non-partisan Act.

1. During CoS elections, candidates
I. Are not allowed to formally attach themselves politically to any presidential candidates
II. Are not allowed to voice their support for any political group in the Congreso
III. Are not allowed to accept campaign donations from any political group

2. During his time of service, the CoS
I. Must not be publicly affiliated with any political group ( registered independent)
II. Must not voice public opposition or endorsement of any political issue or creed

The National Industry Encouragement Act:

-Taxes lowered on every strata by 5% to increase buying power;

-An import tariff of 2% to increase local industry by making Chilean goods 5% cheaper with the tax cuts, while still making international products 3% more affordable than they were.

Player Actions Needed:
As a reminder, you shouldn't normally personally attack other players or call for their deaths.
We have three bills to vote Yes or No on: the Emergency Resolution Initiative, the Military Non-Partisan Act, and the Industrial Encouragement Act (again).

Sample Ballot:
Emergency Resolution Initiative: Yes/No/Abstain
Military Non-Partisan Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Industrial Encouragement Act: Yes/No/Abstain

If the Emergency Resolution Act fails, the status quo will remain in place. (I decided not to have a vote on individual generals because Rios hasn't proposed an individual general appointment for each army.)

Emergency Resolution Initiative: Yes
Military Non-Partisan Act: Yes
Industrial Encouragement Act: Yes

Military Non-Partisan Act: No
Industrial Encouragement Act: NO** (changed it from YES)

I am a military man though and am aware that the entire Argentinian army is one brigade. I honestly think half our commanders are timid to be afraid of such a small army. True we took a bruising last time, but they were stronger then and we had inept generals. That is not the case now.

Your ambition and your proudness has costed lots of lives, Rios. We lost the battle of Jujuy to your petty conflict of interests. We cannot tolerate this any longer.

Last edited:
Surprise, surprise, my paltry first Republic Army had a loss in the war.

Oye vey,

General de Porto

Will the Emergency Resolution Initiative re craft the armies to what the president initially intended?

general de Porto.

Emergency Resolution Act: No, it's an illegal piece of legislation, made to create a coup.
Military Non-partisan Act: Abstain
Industry Encouragement Act: Yes

I fear for Chile. We are on the brink of tyranny. The right is plotting a coup, something that might radicalize the left. I grew up in a Republicano village during the tyranny of Cesar Roseno. My mother's village was attacked by the Imperialistas, one of those soldiers were my father. My mother was not willing.
No Chilean should ever have to face tyranny again. I will fight anyone who tries to abolish our democratic republic and our democratic constitution. No matter who you are I will fight you. I am a servant of Chile, the Constitution and the Republic. And that is what I will serve to the end. So when the day of reckoning between the right and the left comes, and believe me, it's coming. I predict the following: Next election the right will use their dominance over the military to launch a coup. My brothers of the workers will finally be pushed too far and rise up in a revolution, but not one for the Republic, but one for a Worker's State. When that happen I can't join either side. That is all.

Where is your proof that the right is plotting a coup? THe Supreme Court has already ruled that personal messages between two individuals is not grounds for treason. I have yet to see any signs from the right that would indicate any comming coups. It seems far more likely that Rios would attempt a coup, stuffing his majority in the Army with his own supporters and keeping them close to the capital. He may say he is protecting the Republic "from the right", but who is protecting the Republic from him?

-Christiano Ferarri

Emergency Resolution Initiative: No
Military Non-Partisan Act: Abstain

Military Non-Partisan Act: No
Industrial Encouragement Act: No

The Emergency resolution sets a very dangerous precedent. Yes, I know it is a bill for this single occurence. But if we pass it now, Presidents of the future will push their appointments through the Congreso, and COS's will not stand up to them again. We might as well just abolish the system.

I am disgusted as how most of us fall for the President's tricks, I thought we would finally have a President with good intentions, but as usual this one seeks power for himself and we are helping him by signing his Emergency Resolution Initiative. Remember why the CoS position was made in the first place!

~ Ernesto F. Fuentes

How fitting, that the Army of the Republic itself split asunder...

Emergency Resolution Initiative: No. The duties of the governmental branches in military appointments needs reforming, but we set a dangerous precedent (and a dangerous action in its own right, no offense meant to the President) if we give power over entirely to one man to determine the army against the intent of prior laws of Chile. With no wars looming now, the system as it is sufficient for defense until reforms can be made or new elections or appointments taken to resolve the issue. It is the lesser evil to leave the military in this divided state rather than to leave it all united but without clear checks to any one person's power.
Military Non-Partisan Act: Yes. Aside from voting and serving in court, I see no need for Chief of Staff candidates to be involved in the politics of Chile.
Industrial Encouragement Act: Abstain. Other people have better information on the economic state of our growing industries than I do.

Military Non-Partisan Act: Yes

I am pleased that the Congreso sees the merit behind my Industrial Encouragement Act; we will be able to readily employ it to rebuild our own economy and those of Chaco and Jujuy during this post-war industrial period.

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo