• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Speaking of which, I only have icons for games from the past few years showing, and none from earlier boxed game years. Do I assume correclty that the icon is linked directly to registration status for that game under the account?

Oh wow, I have no idea how the tech side of things works in regards to our accounts. If you registered games and they aren't appearing to be registered for whatever reason, you should PM whoever looks into those issues for us (dannie maybe?)

Ask yourself a question, make up an answer in your head, and then tell other people your non-evidence based answer is objectively correct, eh? You're an interesting guy, Dorbagar. :D

You're plugging your ears with your fingers and screaming nonsense if you don't believe what he says, its obviously the truth considering spending 2-5$ here and there is more appealing and less weighty on the pocket than 25$ in one sitting. Regardless, back to topic, I second the idea of making Muslim's playable. I honestly thought they were going to put that in CKII (I have no idea why I assumed that) and maybe Pagans could be bundled into that one all encompassing DLC that makes all existing "nations" in the game playable. I'm not to fond of the republic and theocracy idea, mainly because they wouldn't be real. This is the age of Feudalism, Republics weren't Republics in the sense we know them today and were extremely corrupt. No comment on Theocracies, although your faction idea sounds interesting, I have no clue how that would fit in with Theocracies.

Orthodox DLC, with Orthodox and Coptic portraits, patriarchs (Orthodox, Miaphysite and later Catholic for J. and A.) in Jerusalem, Antioch and Alexandria.

You're plugging your ears with your fingers and screaming nonsense if you don't believe what he says, its obviously the truth considering spending 2-5$ here and there is more appealing and less weighty on the pocket than 25$ in one sitting.

Please forgive me for ignoring all of the imaginary evidence pointing toward the staff at Paradox (people who have always bent over backward for us) plotting to "scam" us out of our money using DLC despite the fact that when this was announced it was right out said that this was being introduced so you don't have to buy features you have no interest in. How could I be so blind? Is there still time to join the conspiracy circle, guys? :p

Regardless, back to topic, I second the idea of making Muslim's playable. I honestly thought they were going to put that in CKII (I have no idea why I assumed that) and maybe Pagans could be bundled into that one all encompassing DLC that makes all existing "nations" in the game playable. I'm not to fond of the republic and theocracy idea, mainly because they wouldn't be real. This is the age of Feudalism, Republics weren't Republics in the sense we know them today and were extremely corrupt. No comment on Theocracies, although your faction idea sounds interesting, I have no clue how that would fit in with Theocracies.

There wasn't really a lot of reasons to expect Muslims to be playable. I mean, if you played CK1 you know that the game is for Christian feudal lords. It was also mentioned very early in the development cycle that Muslims would not be playable again. I kind of share your sentiments toward republics and the like. It's very out of theme. Although, with DLC you could put in the feature for those who want it, and you can I can just ignore it, really.

Orthodox DLC, with Orthodox and Coptic portraits, patriarchs (Orthodox, Miaphysite and later Catholic for J. and A.) in Jerusalem, Antioch and Alexandria.

I don't think the Orthodox Church gets a lot of attention in any Paradox game, so it might be particularly neat to have a flavour pack just for them. I could see myself buying something like that, I think.

So you would first buy the game and then pay the total sum of $80 for six DLCs? Are you kidding me? The whole idea of having to pay for extra content sounds like an elaborate scam and as a customer I don't feel like I'm being treated right. :angry:

Which makes customers feel worse?

"Our awesome new game XYZ is $70. That may seem high, but we'll be adding more content later. We don't know what it is exactly, but your money will be well spent to develop DLCs that at least some people would like to see."

or

"XYZ sells for $40. It is a complete game itself, but there are ways we could improve it or expand it in different directions in the future. We are going to add content in multiple DLCs. We don't know exactly what they will be - we will see after release what looks promising. Fortunately, you don't need to buy the DLCs unless you choose - we know many will not appeal to everyone, and everyone can play without the DLCs as they choose."

==========================

DLCs like patches can change mechanics, to the good. For example, I hope for Muslims and Pagan DLCs but ones that are not flavor bundles - instead, I hope for mechanisms giving substantive experiences that cleverly reflect the distinctive differences in those experiences as well as flavor.

After seeing the LPs, I think the game carries over easily for Pagans. The key difference is religious and cultural. The court chaplain, anti-pope, heresy, and investiture mechanisms among others can all be leveraged and repurposed to deal with pagan religions. Crusades against the pagans may trigger a fervent countervailing defensive response. Not all of this would be evident to other players.

Similar ideas could be spun differently way in the game for Muslim realms. The universalist impulse is toward a universal empire based on divine law ( the caliphate) rather than a universal church that stands apart from and as a guiding force over many independent realms. No pope, but many scholars who did not always agree and might compete for popular adherence to their rulings. There is ample room for religious conflict short of war as well as religious war. Family size and dynamics within a realm were different. With the Ottomans indeed were survival of the most ruthless in cases, but there are only so many ways that succession could occur and I think Paradox has covered most of the bases already. Events naturally flow from the dynamics, and historical research. I think it could be good fun with a good historical feel.

Which makes customers feel worse?

How about the Mojang's Minecraft sales plan

"You buy it now for $15 and receive all future content for free, because you already paid for the game"

But back to the original question about which DLC I'd like to see. To be honest, if the DLCs are to replace expansions, then I'd like some actual game changing content and not just graphical improvements or extra music.

How about the Mojang's Minecraft sales plan

"You buy it now for $15 and receive all future content for free, because you already paid for the game"

But back to the original question about which DLC I'd like to see. To be honest, if the DLCs are to replace expansions, then I'd like some actual game changing content and not just graphical improvements or extra music.

So as per the OP and post #24, what might you like to see in some DLC?

I'd go for gameplay and mechanics enhancements - i.e. mini-expansions.

Not cosmetic updates (I'm not playing PI games for the sexy graphics, huge explosions and action packed visual frenzy).

Not 'unlocks' (Surely its a simple flick of a coded switch to allow me to play muslims).

I'd like to see:

1) A character modding assistant tool
2) Muslim flavour DLC
3) Mechanics change so that de jure borders can be changed with events and decisions
4) Pagan flavour DLC
5) Naval combat
6) Rolled back timeline DLC
All of these are good ideas, certainly things I would like to have. Other things on my wishlist:
  • African Portrait Pack
  • Improved Crusades Mechanics
  • Expanded Byzantine mechanics
  • Addition of Greenland and Vinland
  • An interaction method with off-map countries like China and India
  • Trade mechanics
  • Historical counts in between bookmarked start dates

The challenge with any of these items is deciding what can be handled by modders, what should be mainline game improvements that come with patches, and what should be DLC. Without too much effort, timeline rollback, dynasty CoAs ;), Greenland/Vinland, and many other examples could be handled by modders. Others like a character modding assistant, African portraits, and Muslim flavor can be produced with more involved modder commitment. Items like better Crusades, naval combat, and trade will probably have to be done by Paradox.

So should we clamor for all of this to be done by Paradox, even the easy stuff? I guess we could, and I'd probably buy it if it was close to the $2 value. But maybe it's better to rely on unofficial support from the community on those items. Honestly, I would donate to a modder's PayPal account if they gave me something particularly valuable. I'd rather have Paradox do things we can't easily do ourselves, always bearing in mind which situation is appropriate to charge for these improvements. I would argue that certain content, flexible de jure borders in particular, should come with subsequent patches to the base game.

Like Makesin said, what's the difference between paying $20 for an expansion with four big features and paying $5 for one big feature? The difference is that if you only like new feature, you only have to buy one. If you don't care for those other three new features you don't have to waste money on the package to get the one feature you do want.

The difference with (Paradox) expansions is that they totally change the game - whcih is why I'd buy expansionesque DLC. EU3 1.0 is okay. EU3 5.1 is amazing. Spritepacks.... meh.

Which raises and interesting point... if you assume that an EU3 expansion is worth £20, then an EU3 patch is probably worth £3 or so... which leads to the interesting business opportunity of selling patches as DLC.

So to me - a patch is worth more that a spritepack.... though selling patches would be a stunningly good way of alienating the community.

The challenge with any of these items is deciding what can be handled by modders, what should be mainline game improvements that come with patches, and what should be DLC. Without too much effort, timeline rollback, dynasty CoAs ;), Greenland/Vinland, and many other examples could be handled by modders. Others like a character modding assistant, African portraits, and Muslim flavor can be produced with more involved modder commitment. Items like better Crusades, naval combat, and trade will probably have to be done by Paradox. So should we clamor for all of this to be done by Paradox, even the easy stuff? I guess we could, and I'd probably buy it if it was close to the $2 value. But maybe it's better to rely on unofficial support from the community on those items. Honestly, I would donate to a modder's PayPal account if they gave me something particularly valuable. I'd rather have Paradox do things we can't easily do ourselves, always bearing in mind which situation is appropriate to charge for these improvements. I would argue that certain content, flexible de jure borders in particular, should come with subsequent patches to the base game.

Well, the truth is that anything that doesn't involve changing hardcoded mechanics can be changed ourselves. That doesn't mean leaving everything that's softcoded to the community is good idea. One DLC pack you can pre-order now is something like 1,000 portraits for the Mongols. Could I make this myself? Yes, I could spend dozens of man hours manually constructing thousands of portraits. I'd honestly rather just pay $2. That's just me though. :p

As for your list, I just remembered we still don't have black people do we. *cough* I don't know for sure, but I think in vanilla everyone is either white or Arab again. Portrait DLCs might be a nice, cheap $1-2 solution.

The difference with (Paradox) expansions is that they totally change the game - whcih is why I'd buy expansionesque DLC. EU3 1.0 is okay. EU3 5.1 is amazing. Spritepacks.... meh. Which raises and interesting point... if you assume that an EU3 expansion is worth £20, then an EU3 patch is probably worth £3 or so... which leads to the interesting business opportunity of selling patches as DLC. So to me - a patch is worth more that a spritepack.... though selling patches would be a stunningly good way of alienating the community.

Like I said earlier, the great thing about DLC is that it's all optional. If you think a particular DLC is frivolous and not worth buying, then don't buy it, lol. You lose absolutely nothing by not buying a particular DLC. And of course because this new DLC model is replacing expansions, obviously major changes are going to happen through DLC.

Look at my list of requests in the opening. Is anything there particularly not significant in regard to the game itself (other than the modding tools of course)?

Well, the truth is that anything that doesn't involve changing hardcoded mechanics can be changed ourselves. That doesn't mean leaving everything that's softcoded to the community is good idea. One DLC pack you can pre-order now is something like 1,000 portraits for the Mongols. Could I make this myself? Yes, I could spend dozens of man hours manually constructing thousands of portraits. I'd honestly rather just pay $2. That's just me though. :p

As for your list, I just remembered we still don't have black people do we. *cough* I don't know for sure, but I think in vanilla everyone is either white or Arab again. Portrait DLCs might be a nice, cheap $1-2 solution.
Yes, portraits fall into that gray area of "a modder could do it but it's going to take a good number of manhours." Thus I consider them a reasonable DLC, but one that should be priced accordingly. $2 is more than fair. CoAs arguably doesn't meet that threshold, nor does filling in missing Counts. I'd be more inclined to wait for a modder to do such things (or do it myself) instead of paying money for it. Of course I get CoAs with my preorder, so I'm not complaining :).

A MAP EDITOR

Instead if just sprites and music and whatever, how about utilities for the game?

Basically I'd like to have a program which would load up the map and database and let me edit stuff and then compile my changes into a mod. The game most likely has unsurpassed potential for modding, but making a mod from scratch is like bloody hard. So a utility to make the process easier and simpler would be worth gold.

The more modding becomes easier and friendlier to average user, the longer the lifespan of the game will be. As it is now, making small changes in databases in Clausewitz game is easy, but doing it en masse is a horror. If I wanted to change the map, I'd have to edit thousands of files. Plus you have like half a dozen graphic files to mess with to alter map. land-sea, provinces, height, vegetation, rivers, city and port positions... its simply too much.

This is why I would like a util to streamline it. I'm pretty sure everyone would want it and it would be worth more than 1.99€.