• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
From what I've seen, nobody has been saying that Iberia is particularly easy as a location to play.

Depends, if you're willing to assassinate your relatives at the game's start, you might find it one of the easiest places to play.

This is a situation were a few of the Iberian christian kingdoms was going to be left out and sadly Navarra makes pretty good sense to be the one with out a de-jur chair at the Iberian king party.

It also serves to illustrate the silliness of the rigid dejure mechanic and another example of game mechanics not allowing things in game to mirror reality (kingdoms appearing and disappearing down the start date timeline but not in game. In what is mostly a great game this is an ongoing issue.

From what I've seen, nobody has been saying that Iberia is particularly easy as a location to play.

You don't need to even play from Iberia to form an Iberian kingdom though. The King of France could snatch a few provinces and add a second king title, then take Aragon as well which would now be even smaller and easier to make.

2 extra king titles just like that.

You don't need to even play from Iberia to form an Iberian kingdom though. The King of France could snatch a few provinces and add a second king title, then take Aragon as well which would now be even smaller and easier to make.

It's not like Philip IV didn't do exactly that with Navarre in 1284 ...

But it is made out of several Kingdoms. The game engine just calls them a "duchy" or "county", depending on size and importance. :)

One is the real-world title, the other the game mechanical representation.

And for gameplays sake, the Kingdom of Navarra is unable to be balanced.

Maybe if Paradox add in the ability to have overlapping De Jure borders, but as it stands, it is too small, which can only be fixed at the expense of two other kingdoms which aren't exactly large either.

In this case, like in Ireland's case, gameplay has been chosen over realism.

How is that any worse than any of the Iberian nations being able to reign over 5 kingdoms in a tract of land half the size of France?

Well, since I didn't do any extensive testing on this matter - as opposed to you, obviously - I concede that this might be the case. :)

Thats weird. Maturity on the internet. Hats off to you :)

How is that any worse than any of the Iberian nations being able to reign over 5 kingdoms in a tract of land half the size of France?

I didn't say it wasn't.

This isn't about that.

I think either Iberia or France need to be tweaked. Maybe both. I play a mod which adds Occitania actually.

And for gameplays sake, the Kingdom of Navarra is unable to be balanced.

Maybe if Paradox add in the ability to have overlapping De Jure borders, but as it stands, it is too small, which can only be fixed at the expense of two other kingdoms which aren't exactly large either.

In this case, like in Ireland's case, gameplay has been chosen over realism.

I agree, overlapping de jure borders would greatly expand this currently rather broken gameplay mechanic.

Currently, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place either way. Some of these "gameplay" balances require a rather large stretch of the imagination. "Oh no, the kingdom of Wales (for which the historical basis is also somewhat tenuous) is too easy too form - so let's just create an entirely new kingdom with no historical basis whatsoever" What's worse, it incorporates Cornwall, which was never even independant during the entire CK2 timeframe.

I can't help but wonder: what exactly is wrong with having tiny kingdoms? Yes, they are easy to form... and while they're nominally on the same level as other kings (such as France or England) the king of Navarre (or Cyprus) is in no way comparable to the king of France (prestige, income, vassal and levy-wise) just like the 'king' of Wales was in no way comparable to the king of England. Is that so bad, I wonder?

Could one not make Navarre a 1-2 prov kingdom, but make it only creatable by a Basque character? That would allow both for keeping Navarre as a de-jure re-creatable kingdom, without causing too much silliness.

Could one not make Navarre a 1-2 prov kingdom, but make it only creatable by a Basque character? That would allow both for keeping Navarre as a de-jure re-creatable kingdom, without causing too much silliness.
Yeah -- easily done too:

Code:
	# Creation/usurpation trigger
	allow = {
			culture = basque
		}

That's such a simple and elegant solution that it can't possibly be right. Someone must have thought of it already and decided against it for some reason. Honestly, that seems like a perfect solution.

Yes, the other day I changed it so that to form Navarra you must be Basque and Christian and to form Galicia you must be Portuguese* and Christian.

* In my mod it's called Galician and covers Galicia and eventually Portugal.