• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tef

Second Lieutenant
51 Badges
Jun 14, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
nipponbanner.jpg

This will be an ongoing AAR. I will be updating it as I play.
And may I add that I'm no pro, this will be my first try to complete the game (after many trails and errors trying to figure out all new features etc, plus i wasn't very good at HOI2 either :p).

Version: 1.1c Hotfix
Mods: None
Goals: Defeat the Chinese and Allies (Axis world domination :D)
Cheats: None
Campaign: '36
AI: Technology (occational player control), Politics, Army and Navy (I like to watch :cool:)

I start the game by reorganizing the North China Expedition Army, and building aprox. 90 IC worth of Triangel infantry (sorry, the idea to make this an AAR came to me after these divisions were completed so I dont remember exact numbers), followed by 5 TAC and 4 Interceptors that should be ready when the war starts. Only Garrisons are left to guard.

Front Line
hoi3jap01.jpg

Preparing for invasion.

Units
002wyv.jpg

003qrn.jpg

Unit statistics.

After preparing the army, I was invited into the Axis, and successfully secured war funds from the USA (allow dept and trade).

War! Shanxi quickly fell and was annexed. After that I launched an attack from sea with a much smaller force, occupying Shanghai and the surrounding provinces:
hoi3jap11.jpg

Situation 12 May 1937

Communist China fell and went into exile:
hoi3jap12.jpg

Communist CHina have fallen and the army keep pushing south.

More IC means more production, preparing for potential Pacific War:
hoi3jap13.jpg

Naval production 1/2

hoi3jap14.jpg

Naval production 2/2

Thats it for now, time for sleep! ;)

Last edited:
Even though you don't have an immediate need for them, I think you should start building ships (at least a carrier) right off the bat, though maybe after you've researched a few carrier (or capital ship, if that's your fancy)-related techs. Ships take so long, but the gain you get for Practical is so huge, that the sooner you get it rolling, the better, I think.

... I think you should start building ships ...
Imageshack might be acting up (I've reuploaded the screens now), but there should be 2 pictues under "More IC means more production". If you for some reason can't see that,
this is what I'm building:
3x Carriers
1x SHBattleship
2x Battleships
4x BCruisers
And several HCruisers, LCruisers and Destroyers

All parrallel, total 195 IC, and the smaller ships one or two serial aswell. :D

I'll be playing some more later today.

Last edited:
Trying to work with Photobucket as Imageshack is timing out. Not working so good that piece of crap either. :rofl:

Found an alternative Imageshack site that seems to work OK.

Sitrep!

General Terauchi is pushing the 1st N.CH North Army into Xibei San Ma, towards Golmud, trapping a small enemy force in the process, but 3 provinces in Communist China have been lost.
101ppg.jpg

North region.

Field Marshal Okamura continues to push south with the majority of the North China Expedition Army. And a small force from the Central Chinese Army is attacking along the coast trying to link up with Lt. General Koiso's forces in Shanghai
102bes.jpg

Main force of the North China Expedition army.

Lt. General Koiso and the Central Chinese Army is still holding his ground around Shanghai
103tcr.jpg

Shanghai invasion.

The Imperial Navy is raiding the Chinese Coast
104h.jpg

The IJN patrolling for enemy convoys.

Last edited:
Not sure what the problem might be with either hosting site - one AAR in this forum already has had its pics removed due to bandwidth issues but another using Imageshack as well has no problems. I'll be watching this one - and you stole my thunder! :D I was going to have the first Japanese AAR on here! :rofl: Ah well there's plenty of room at the table for all these AARs.

Think you can take China with what you have, or will you be content with just holding the important bits and leaving the rest, as Japan did historically, to focus on other things when the time comes?

A nicely solid start

Oops, silly me, I was very tired, and didn't see you were going crazy with naval construction :rofl:. It's a little disappointing that the default name for a SH BB for Japan (of all people) is "1st SH BB".

I'm curious if you are planning on focusing on any naval doctrine in particular, or if you're planning on building them all up. The China campaign will unfortunately not give you very much naval combat experience, but probably plenty of air combat experience.

Looks great so far, looking forward to it!

Last edited:
You are not building any infantry? :confused:
Nope, I don't think I will need any yet, as I'm steamrolling the Nationalists :rofl:

and you stole my thunder! :D I was going to have the first Japanese AAR on here! Ah well there's plenty of room at the table for all these AARs.
haha! You might have if it wasn't for the manual saving my butt on several things :D

Think you can take China with what you have, or will you be content with just holding the important bits and leaving the rest, as Japan did historically, to focus on other things when the time comes?
Yes, I reckon I can annex them before '39. But not as sure about Guangxi, as i learned from earlier trials.

A nicely solid start

Overrun China asap.
Then it shall all become a lot easier. :D
My plan exactly :D

Oops, I was very tired, and didn't see you were going crazy with naval construction :rofl:. I'm curious if you are planning on focusing on any naval doctrine in particular, or if you're planning on building them all up.
Hehe NP.
Not sure, I haven't really looked much into Tech, it's still a bit confusing some of the tabs in there for me :eek:o

So is the AI managing your tech then?

The Naval Doctrines are set to benefit certain ships in each branch:
Base Strike--CVs and CLs (also has CAG bonuses, obviously)
Fleet-in-being-BBs and DDs (also convoy bonuses)
Sealane Interdiction-CAs, BCs, and subs (also a smattering of weird bonuses for spotting and basing for some reason)

With enough Naval Combat Experience, though, you might be able to grab all three rather easily. Here's hoping Nationalist China provides the IJN with plenty of shooting practice :D

So is the AI managing your tech then?

The Naval Doctrines are set to benefit certain ships in each branch:
Base Strike--CVs and CLs (also has CAG bonuses, obviously)
Fleet-in-being-BBs and DDs (also convoy bonuses)
Sealane Interdiction-CAs, BCs, and subs (also a smattering of weird bonuses for spotting and basing for some reason)

With enough Naval Combat Experience, though, you might be able to grab all three rather easily. Here's hoping Nationalist China provides the IJN with plenty of shooting practice :D

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll have to look into that and possibly reorganizing my production line. :)
And yes, the AI is controlling Tech, but I go in and add a few things when I feel the need.

A combined assault on communist troops
105ima.jpg

Lt Gen Fujie's 2nd Central Army Corps and Lt Gen Ando R's 2nd North Army Corps retakes the 3 Communist China provinces that were lost earlier.

Qongj province pocket destroyed
106i.jpg

Gen Terauchi have defeated the Chinese pocket in Qongj province, and is moving further into Xibei San Ma.

I managed to free up some IC to build 3 Triangle Infantry divisions that will go to the Central China Army in Shanghai.
107feg.jpg

Shanxi uprising in Mandalat Sum!
108jvt.jpg

Manchukuo forces are moving in to eliminate the rebels.

Garrisons in Shanxi
109xlr.jpg

Japanese garrison troops have been ordered to hold key provinces in former Shanxi.

The Heavy Industrial Emphasis Law allows us to start the production of an Armoured division
110sla.jpg

N. Central and N. South Army groups are rolling through central China at great speed
111scu.jpg

Progress in the south.

Last edited:
Looks like the conquest is proceeding apace, though with a couple bumps here or there.

I would not put two tanks and one motorized in one division.
It only needs one tank to be a tank division.
And motorized units are cheaper. :D

Ouch.

Do you have a workable save?