• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tgiencke

Recruit
3 Badges
Apr 28, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
I wanted to get the word out that Crusader Kings 2 plays very well on the current iPad.

The key ingredient is the app Logmein Pro, also known as Logmein Ignition. The difference is Pro is a subscription app that costs $10/month or $70/year to connect to one PC/Mac. Logmein Ignition app is "Pro" with a one time cost of $130 with unlimited connections to PCs/Macs.

Another possible option is when Onlive Desktop Pro $10/month starts. It might be possible to install PC games on your slice of the Onlive server and not need a PC/Mac. I have been using their MS Office from my iPad and it works great. And it's free, try it out.

The reason for these VNC solutions over the many others is these are the only ones I know of that stream video in HD resolutions that is needed to read the small text.

Ok how to get this all to work:

-Get Logmein installed on the iPad and PC.
-CK2 must be played in windowed mode on the iPad so a few changes need to be done:
The in-game resolution needs to be changed to something smaller than native resolution of your monitor. I use 1366x768 on my 1080p monitor. CK2 needs to be set to play in windowed mode, this is done by going to the CK2 settings file which is default located at C:\Users\*your user name*\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II. Change "fullscreen=yes" to no. Do not be concerned about the resolution, you can stretch the window to "full screen" on the iPad.

To increase the ease of PC gaming on the iPad I highly recommend getting a bluetooth keyboard and using that instead of the onscreen keyboard.

Try it you will like it. It opens a huge library of PC strategy gaming on the iPad.

Tell us your experience of PC strategy gaming on the iPad

Please don't make this into a hardware flame-a-thon.

I just wanted to share my work-around to doing PC strategy gaming on the iPad.

"Paradox in a Post-PC world"

And you don't wan't to turn this into a flame-a-thon? People are bound to take this as the first jab regardless of your intentions, which I doubt are anything other than promoting Logmein. Maybe find a better choice for your thread title if you really don't want this to turn into a "flame-a-thon".

Fred Wester said something about getting some Paradox games on the iPad, but I guess it's legit to do so, as long as it doesn't blow the EULA. I don't own an Apple device, but thought I'd say that.

Thanks for the tip! I'll certainly check it out. Though the PC is supreme, it's difficult dragging it all over the place. Conquering Sweden seems like an excellent train activity.

It actually runs well?
He's not running the game on the iPad technically, its still running on the PC. Its just being streamed via a VPN to the iPad.

I use VPNs regularly for work (albeit Laptop -> PC normally) so can understand what he's explaining. All that the iPad essentially processes is the controls and streams that to the PC which does the legwork and streams back the images.

Please don't make this into a hardware flame-a-thon.

I just wanted to share my work-around to doing PC strategy gaming on the iPad.

You made it a flame thread when you titled it Post PC world. It's not post PC- I LIKE my large screen, mouse, keyboard interface, and easy chair, and not having to contort to be comfortable when playing a long game. Plus the superior hardware speed I have.

You made it a flame thread when you titled it Post PC world. It's not post PC- I LIKE my large screen, mouse, keyboard interface, and easy chair, and not having to contort to be comfortable when playing a long game. Plus the superior hardware speed I have.

Given Apple's (or was it Steve Job's) well known description (or hope?) of the evolutionary direction of computers, it seemed like a not terribly esoteric reference to iPads or tablets more generally. (Whether Apple is right is a whole different question that we can leave for another forum to sort out.)

Last edited:
Don't worry about it, PCs aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:
PC > any other form of 'game'-station thing.

Agreed. And I also agree that titling the thread "..in a post-PC world." was begging it to be flamebait. Besides, your post seems suspiciously like a sales pitch, especially with the "Tell us your experience of PC strategy gaming on the iPad" part.

Wouldn't this require you be on WiFi or 4G to connect to your remote PC? Still an interesting idea.

I too am curious as to what kind of bandwidth you've got going between the iPad and the PC. It's been the case forever that complicated graphics are the most troublesome over these types of connections (i.e. remote desktop, logmein, etc).

You're not playing CK2 on your iPad, you're playing it on your pc. The iPad is just a virtual window to your pc. So much for "post PC world".

Logmein better have some pretty fancy data compression techniques to send complex graphics over a mobile link. It's probably only really suitable for in home wifi at the best, so hardly a consideration for playing anywhere you have an internet connection.

Personally I think the iPad is a useless platform for pc based games, given the resolution restrictions, keyboard and connectivity issues.
I like the comfort of playing serious games on my pc at my pc with all it has to offer.

The iPad is good for RDP to work ;)