• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, we're coming up on the Holiday season and you already know almost everything about Crusader Kings II. So instead of a regular dev diary, let's run a little Q&A session. So, let's hear those questions and Santa Claus might just answer them. :)

I remember when I played Sengoku demo, if I’m remembering right I could control marriages only of my children. Will it be same in CK or you’ll be able to control all your family, or entire court, if not will your court members marry automatically?

You only control the marriages of characters in your court. Once you give them land, they are on their own. This mechanic is subject to change however.

I asked in one thread about being able to name grandchildren too and someone mentioned it would be easily moddable if the naming system uses an event and it has some "on_action" trigger. Is that the case (I mean, would it be possible to mod)? Thanks!

I see. So the HRE for example has the Kingdom of Germany as its rightful possession, and the like?

Exactly.

1) in another topic a developer (possibly you) told me that Emperors are hard-coded locked out of creating kingdom level titles to prevent voting abuse, is there any chance this could be tweaked a little so that non-elective empires could create kingdom titles? I was really looking forward to letting some relative be solely responsible for all of those rebellious Nordic Dukes who are so far away from my personal demesne by making him a vassal-king. Or at least is there any chance it can be made soft-coded for modding? :(

Well, perhaps. I am not entirely happy with the current system.

2) How friendly is the map in regard to super expansion via modding? Is it possible to say mod the map to Mongolia or southern Africa or whatever?

It is untested, but probably possible though the performance would suffer.

3) How well do you think the game's performance will hold up against extensive modding? If we add hundreds of new provinces (and thus hundreds of new tags) will the engine start spitting blood and significantly slow down during game play like it did in EU3?

Of course it will slow down due to the added AI calculations. However, this time around, the AI is fully multi-threaded. RAM requirements could also be a problem with loads of characters.

Thank you for your time, sir. I wish you and all of the CK2 team a very merry Christmas. God bless.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas to you too!

Alright, great.
Final question: How does your liege react to converting part of his realm from his religion?

He accepts it as your right as his vassal. However, he might well send his own court chaplain to undo your work.

Alright, great.
Final question: How does your liege react to converting part of his realm from his religion?

If he didn't like other religions spreading around, why would he appoint a lord spiritual from another religion in the first place? :p

It would be like being a Sultan who doesn't want Christianity to spread in his domain who makes it so only Orthodox Priests are allowed to be Imams to the Muslim community. :p

I asked in one thread about being able to name grandchildren too and someone mentioned it would be easily moddable if the naming system uses an event and it has some "on_action" trigger. Is that the case (I mean, would it be possible to mod)? Thanks!
That would be great

It should be moddable, yes (though the guy who coded that is not around to ask.)

It would probably just be called Christian or some such, yes. Something like 6% chance per year on average. Depends on the skill of your Court Chaplain though.
Ok, thanks. :)

I just seem to come up with new questions, so here's more: in zone12's excellent video LP I once saw Holy Roman Empire become Germany on the political map mode. Later it was HRE again (and full of revolts). What happened? I reasoned along these lines: royal authority was increased or power otherwise centralized to the crown, which turned HRE into a more coherent entity (Germany) and later the emperor was forced to back away (and Germany became HRE). But what really happened?

Also, is it as easy to mod in creatable kingdoms as it's to mod in new countries in EU? That would solve the Dutch kingdom issue.

Ok, thanks. :)

I just seem to come up with new questions, so here's more: in zone12's excellent video LP I once saw Holy Roman Empire become Germany on the political map mode. Later it was HRE again (and full of revolts). What happened? I reasoned along these lines: royal authority was increased or power otherwise centralized to the crown, which turned HRE into a more coherent entity (Germany) and later the emperor was forced to back away (and Germany became HRE). But what really happened?

Also, is it as easy to mod in creatable kingdoms as it's to mod in new countries in EU? That would solve the Dutch kingdom issue.

Are you sure you were not just looking at the De Jure empire of Germany?

Why do you keep saying "Court Chaplain" ? Should we conclude that the "Lord Spiritual" is no more ? (and it was about time !)

We've known for some time now that they changed it to Religion-specific ones (so no "Chaplains" for Muslims or Pagans, to alleviate that concern in changing from the generic Lord Spiritual). :)

Speaking of which, what are the current names for Ásatrú/Norse, Romuva, Sunni/Shiite, Tengri and so on for the Lord Spiritual?

And are both Erik the Heathen / Blot-Sven Ásatrú/Norse religion this time? It felt mighty silly to have them as Catholic in CK1. I'm presuming so, because of the Civil Wars, but considering how all of southern Sweden was decided to be abstracted as Catholic for game-play reasons wouldn't Blot-Sven have more trouble than he should with his own people in the south-east?

Last edited:
About map modding, has it changed much since Sengoku? If i kept working on, say, my Westeros map using Sengoku, would I be wasting my time because the map has changed a lot or would most of it simply work with minimal changes?

Also, does the fact that Al-Andalus exists mean that Castille is going to get their de jure lands reduced, or does it mean that the same province can belong to different de jure kingdoms depending on religion?

Will religious minorities inside counties be represented. For example, if most of county X is Catholic, but it still has a significant Muslim minority, will it be represented somehow? Can it be modded?