• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's the problem with fish ?

Having food production (as fish) as limiting factor for natural population growth could be a good thing. In vicky1, food was never a problem - while historically speaking, one of the aspect of the XIXth century was the (mostly winning) fight against famine. Posen alone shouldn't be able to feed the whole german population of 1900.
Overall, methinks the concept of illimited RGOs in vicky1 (eg; producing 9/10 of the world's total iron supply in immigrant-friendly wallonia) is a bit weired...

EDIT: As of the screenshot: Island of Man is going to be one of the funniest OPM to play - ever ...

:confused::confused::confused: but we don't know anything at all about the interface?

On the plus side, I loved the economic model from V1 so I'm happy it's more-or-less being kept, and the coast of Ireland is, to all intents and purposes, perfect. I can almost spot my house on it.

Ok I'll give you this for free, the world market interface was the thing that told us there wasn't enough fish to feed the world.

Ok I'll give you this for free, the world market interface was the thing that told us there wasn't enough fish to feed the world.

Aahhhhhhh.... now that is a damn good improvement. So, if one had industrialised early on, it might be in one's interest to deliberatly under-produce, say, steel or machine parts in order to keep the advantage?

Aahhhhhhh.... now that is a damn good improvement. So, if one had industrialised early on, it might be in one's interest to deliberatly under-produce, say, steel or machine parts in order to keep the advantage?

Yes you could try that, but I will explain (starting next week) why that is not as easy as it sounds.

Looking at the map, Briistol really covers Gloucestershire, so it should really be remaned Gloucester, unless it's going to have a port, in which case, I can live it remaining as Bristol.

Bath for Somerset really should be renamed after the county town Taunton though.

As for the economic DD, sounds like it's continuing with the theme of evolution rather than revolution, to cut down on development costs presumably.

(about hoi-like round flags)
yes, it will look that way as it looks great.

(about possibility of having formations rather then doll-like soldiers)
no, we want to have good looking soldiers to feel more like victorian era game.
Kinda like tin soldiers on a big map.

:( :( :(

Economics is one of the cores of Vicky IMO (politics is the other), so I hope that little information today means more work needed to have satisfactory outcomes. I mean: don't rush this issue.

Well first off, not all Diary readers are actually familiar with Victoria so giving them a Victoria economy basics would be quite nice. Also I am bit disapointed that none of you noticed that thanks to our improved interface we are already spotting balance issues that made it into Victoria 1.0.

Agree on the first point, but I don't understand the suggestion that the improvement of the interface wasn't noticed.

It's more that we're spoiled with lengthy DDs like no 2 and 3 where design ideas are fleshed out.

I don't mean to criticize, it's a thrill that you're are making the game and involving the community in the process.

Counters perchance?

Counters are not good looking. I tried them once in HoI2 and hated them. Movement shown as a green mark at the side of the counter was a reason enough to move back to sprites. I never noticed if they were moving or attacking something. :D

Anyway, those 3D-models are way better looking than counters.

Looking at the map, Briistol really covers Gloucestershire, so it should really be remaned Gloucester, unless it's going to have a port, in which case, I can live it remaining as Bristol.

Bath for Somerset really should be renamed after the county town Taunton though.

As for the economic DD, sounds like it's continuing with the theme of evolution rather than revolution, to cut down on development costs presumably.

As per naming conventions in Victoria 1, provinces, with the exception of small islands/archipelagos, are named 99% of the time for the major urban center of that region during the Victoria period.

the province of Bristol includes Bristol and Gloucestershire. If this was EU3, where region names are used, then the province would be Gloucestershire. But in Victoria, this defaults to the principal urban center, in this case Bristol.

As for Bath vs Taunton, you can go either way with that one, Clio chose Bath because as a cultural center for the region it was more important than Taunton, and would be more familiar a place to those outside of Great Britain. Hence the decision to go with Bath for the the name of the province.

For those who might prefer Taunton to appear in their games instead of Bath, the names of provinces are easily moddable with a ten-second tweak to a file. This holds for any province name individuals may or may not like. And is a massive advantage over the old map system for V1 where province names were directly part of the artwork for the map. In V2, as in all other Clausewitz-engine based games, province names are "projected" onto the map by the game engine based on data in files.

Some like counters, some don't. I do, it makes me feel all generalish. If that is even a word. Which it isn't.

Edit: Seriously though, one reason I like counters is that I find them more clear. If Victoria 2 ends up with a Great War type crescendo, it could be a nice option.

Last edited:
Counters are not good looking. I tried them once in HoI2 and hated them. Movement shown as a green mark at the side of the counter was a reason enough to move back to sprites. I never noticed if they were moving or attacking something. :D

Anyway, those 3D-models are way better looking than counters.

Yeah, better then counters for sure. I just wonder if it will be possible to group them into formation - edit pic and group together. Shame I haven't got a clue about 3d modelling.

when you attack the arrow turns from green to red.

Hmm is it just me or does the UK have less provinces?

And no big ben at capital :(

Liverpool is south of Manchester