• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Any mainland possessions will have to wait until a fleet gets built. I'm guessing that's going to be a long wait.

Nice update, with a well fought war and a crippled enemy. I don't suppose you can check to see what reducing them to -3 stability did to their continental possessions? Anyone back-stab them?

That was a costly war for Spain in terms of manpower and stab hits. Now operation Burn Infamy begins. Then, lines up Portugal. Unification, around the corner.

Your navy is rather behind the europeans. Hadn't realised it was quite that obsolete.

Nice job defeatig the Spaniards, will the Portuguese be next?

Thanks! Actually, believe it or not, there might be a higher priority. That's a surprise to me too, I certainly expected that it would be Portugal after Spain.

However, I'm looking for some way to fight Portugal without getting Spain involved. I don't expect to get such an opportunity, but if one comes then I'll pounce immediately.

Next time you shall invade their main land ;D

And take Gibraltar

Probably not next time, but I expect to do that eventually. :)

Soon, our lands will unite!!!

Soon is a relative expression. ;) Stuff comes up that delays the connection - both choices by me and circumstances outside my control.

I also demand Gibraltar as the next war goal. :cool:

The next war goal? I'm shocked - I never thought of you as the resident pacifist. You really want me to stay at peace until I'm capable of conquering Gibraltar? :p

Any mainland possessions will have to wait until a fleet gets built. I'm guessing that's going to be a long wait.

This. Though long is also relative, I don't expect to wait an eternity. But there will be a notable wait: I need to tech up and the fact that Spain's fleet is so huge complicates things.

Nice update, with a well fought war and a crippled enemy. I don't suppose you can check to see what reducing them to -3 stability did to their continental possessions? Anyone back-stab them?

Thanks. Not much of an effect - I think there were a few rebellions but nothing problematic. After all, they had lots of men in Europe by the time they were at -3 because that's where they rebuilt after I destroyed their South American troops. A Greek province did defect to Basileia ton Romaion however.

And unfortunately Mallorca, the only real threat they have next door, is a Spanish ally, so no danger of backstabbing there...

Do you plan to expand in Europe? Like 'Americans colonize the European continent'?

Yes, eventually. When I'm able to beat some major in the naval game and then beat them up in Europe - I don't want to get entry by pounding on some weakling or using military access tricks because that would be a pretty lame way to enable an invasion of the magnitude I'm picturing. :D

That was a costly war for Spain in terms of manpower and stab hits. Now operation Burn Infamy begins. Then, lines up Portugal. Unification, around the corner.

Yup, that's how it is in a nutshell. But as stated earlier, there are delays and some priority changes as well.

Your navy is rather behind the europeans. Hadn't realised it was quite that obsolete.

It pretty much has to be - remember, I've only had the ability to build ships at all for 25 years! Until that point it was useless to research naval, not to mention that doing government and trade techs full steam was mandatory for colonization.

After westernization, I had my hands full with making my army competitive. If I had strayed from the land tech beeline to help the navy, I wouldn't have been able to fight that Spanish war as far as troop performance goes.

Yes, eventually. When I'm able to beat some major in the naval game and then beat them up in Europe - I don't want to get entry by pounding on some weakling or using military access tricks because that would be a pretty lame way to enable an invasion of the magnitude I'm picturing. :D

Sea Mongols!

Good work there, I guess you'll need to keep hammering away at Spain and Portugal for a few more wars but they'll be getting weaker...

You'll want to do something about the religion and culture of those provinces. A shift of national focus - roads, missionaries, culture. Your beat up Neapolitan allies pulled their weight. I can see them getting into a war and asking for Incan help.

Sea Mongols!

:D

Wow, nice work on the Spanish. I just wish you had a less costly way to claim stuff infamy-wise. Can't wait to see what your next goal is. Japan?

Cheers! Japan is something that I've had in mind (along with working the Americas and some type of European presence) but there's no hurry with that, unlike something else.

Unfortunately I don't think a pagan has many ways to get infamy discounts in MEIOU. :( Imperialism perhaps? But that's still some ways off.

Good work there, I guess you'll need to keep hammering away at Spain and Portugal for a few more wars but they'll be getting weaker...

Yes. Now it's time for some recovery however - and unfortunately something gets in the way when I'm closer to attacking them again.

I surprise everyone by declining.
Well you certainly surprised me, I thought that was your segue into saying that you hit the wrong button by mistake and would have to do it all again...

I believe that the EU III AI peace negotiation logic is based on a belief that spamming enough ridiculous offers will eventually lead to the human player clicking the wrong button. :D

What YOU are not gonna take GIBRALTAR... Shame on you :p

You show me a feasible way to do that now without cheating or using gamey tactics to abuse the AI and I'll do it. ;) All in good time.

EDIT: Wanna play Vic II MP sometime ?

Sure. I'm not sure when "sometime" could be however, it seems that I'll have a very busy next month and a half and I estimate that most of my computer time will go to updating and following AARs. On top of that, I still have A LOT of learning to do in that game. :eek:o So I guess I'll get back to you in two months! :rofl:

You'll want to do something about the religion and culture of those provinces. A shift of national focus - roads, missionaries, culture.

There's nothing I can do to help that before nationalism runs out. The conversion chance is too far below zero to make it positive now without investing so much that it doesn't make any sense in the long run. I.e. why spend a total of probably more than a thousand ducats to help the conversion chance in a bunch of very poor provinces when it improves on its own in a few decades? After that, they very well might get the national focus to help with the conversions and make cultural assimilation more likely. But that's something for the future and not a high priority as the provinces really aren't good. Other than their strategic location, that is.

Your beat up Neapolitan allies pulled their weight. I can see them getting into a war and asking for Incan help.

Yeah they did a good job, better than I could have hoped. We're not allied anymore however - I have no idea how that happened, a few months into that war there was just a message log entry that said "Our alliance with Naples has ended." or something to that effect. :confused:

Chapter Forty-three
1614-1622

I immediately hire a diplomat to help a bit with the infamy. In addition to the reduction bonus, he gets us under the infamy limit right now.

46_01.jpg

The conquest of a Spanish sugar province (in addition to a bunch of sugar colonies that we've added lately) upgrades our sugar producer category...

46_02.jpg

...while taking heathen provinces helps our infamy in exchange for some RR.

46_03.jpg

I'm not happy with some of the Spanish-made fortifications, so I start upgrading them.

I also figure that I'm going to need some more troops in South America. I have longer borders with rivals now, and further colonization will only add to this. I'll have over 250000 men in total when it's all said and done a few years later.

In January 1615 I notice that my choice of next colonization target might not have been the right one. I start working southeast from Wai Wai instead as this might block English colonies.

46_04.jpg

Yes, Tuscany has one colony south along the coast of the English holdings.

February sees land tech 25 for better infantry and artillery.

46_05.jpg

Very nice - no more infantry disadvantage against the Europeans' current units! Granted, most of them should be close to the Gustavian level that gives them the advantage again.

Like mentioned earlier, Switzerland is now dishonorable scum. By June that has led to them being under a dogpile consisting of HRE Milan, Bavaria, England, Savoy, Nice, Hungary, Lorraine, Nuremberg, Artois, Brittany, Alsace and Saluzzo. The outcome? A lot of countries handing a total of approximately fifteen-thousand ducats to the Swiss, headlined by a generous 5039 ducat donation by Alsace. Seems like these guys are unstoppable.

Tenharim (the newest colony) starts producing Brazilwood in July. Good, that's profitable enough.

Azcaptzalco and Wixaritari core in November; my current lands in Mesoamerica are now fully cored. Pretty.

46_06.jpg

January 1616 features naval tech level 10 (shipyard) and production tech 17 while government tech 24 (administrative kingdom) is discovered in August and production tech 18 and naval tech 11 in November. I'm investing in Naval now.

Tamaholipa converts in February, followed by Tzintzuntzan in June and Mixe in September.

Tenharim grows into a city in March 1617 and we restart efforts in Maku before it dies out. Later we find out that Maku, too, produces Brazilwood.

We get production tech 19 (textile manufactory) in June and naval tech 12 in October. Next, trade 23 in June 1618 and naval 13 in September.

Xallixtli is the next province to embrace Inti in October and Wixaritari follows suit in June 1619, while production tech 20 is reached just before, in May. The last conversion causes a sad side effect:

46_07.jpg

Well, it's been a good run. There are only a handful of distant overseas Nahuatlan provinces left, so this doesn't have much of an effect on us.

Land tech 26 is researched in May 1620, while we get naval tech 14 in June. This enables blockades and therefore pirates from my shores, but I was prepared for this - I've stationed single cogs in any remote ports so pirate spawn is impossible.

Maku grows into a city in September, and I build the next one in Aparai. It's in an interesting place:

46_08.jpg

England isn't very strong and they don't have strong allies right now, so I'll want those provinces sooner rather than later. However, the time for that is not now - military modernization is right around the corner and I still have some WE as well as infamy.

Land tech 27 is reached in July 1621 - after this, I no longer have maximum neighborhood bonus in land. It's also a nice tech:

46_09.jpg

I now have the ultimate New World units. No more upgrades outside artillery without modernizing. Thankfully, my Sapa Inca only has to survive a year more and I'll be able to modernize... Also, it was important to get to this tech level before modernization as these units are better than the Western ones of same tech level.

WE is finally zero when 1622 rolls around. Took a while, but it was in the low double digits when the war ended.

We get production tech 21 in April and government 25 (administrative republic) in June.

Also in June and more importantly, a slider move becomes available. I move centralized and...

46_10.jpg

BAM. :D I've been very fortunate here. Tupac Hualpa II, with 33 years on the throne so far, has allowed me to go from a New World tech nation to a fully Western one in one reign.

2 months !!! Hell no im not gonna wait that long :p
and the game is verysimple i learned it throught after playing it about 1-2 week
and to get Gib you must build ships lot lot lot of ships... :D

Again very nice work. The Swiss are cracking me up. You should definitely ally them at some point. Try to appeal to your shared mountain people experience.

Can't wait to see what's next. An emergency intervention against the Netherlands? Helping out your Neapolitan allies against the Ottomans?

I should have seen that last bit of westernization coming. Yes, it would appear you were lucky with that Inca ruler hereafter known as "the Westernizer".

You've thrown a load of colonies across the breadth of South America to the English colonies- the English have, it would appear, learned the art of joined up colonial government.

A level 6 diplomat- very nice.

I loved that info about Switzerland -dogpiled and still given lots of money.You've told us about your WE shrinking to 0, how's the infamy? How long to wait until Portugal gets it?

Last edited:
When do you plan to destroy that tiny Mesoamerican OPM? I assume that not in the nearest time:) with that -6 stab hit.

Very nice, I assume you're happy you're ready to handle anything that comes at you in the next few years.

That result from that Swiss war can only be explained that Swiss built DOOMfortresses in the Alps.