• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In general I've found that since AHD 2.1, it's not necessary to always have the best Philosophy techs. In fact, I've found that you can gimp yourself pretty bad (in certain scenarios) if you're always grabbing the next +% research tech. In the year or two that it takes to get the next Philosophy tech, you could have gotten 2-4 industry (if you want to temporarily monopolize certain goods), commerce (if you want to fix your economy), naval (if you want to out tech the AI on the sea *this is a really good reason*), or army techs.

Mathmatically, if you want to have a broad range of techs, it makes sense to stay 1-2 levels behind in the Philosophy tree. Being a huge country with a ton of divergent priorities means that it makes less and less sense to sacrifice valuable army/navy/economic tech that you could have _right_now_ for a Philosophy tech that doesn't even do anything in and of itself. Although, it's kinda silly to have 5 levels of Political Thought tech. If you're going to go "high" as opposed to "broad" in the tech tree, you really do need to have more than 1 level of Philosophy.

Nobody is researching a philosophy tech ever year - but every 15 years. It is also perfectly possible for the Russian AI to be up-to-date on both philosopy and economical techs at once. Not that it ever is, but it's possible.

I agree with you perfectly that the philosophy tech shouldn't always take priority, like if you need money fast or you're in the middle of a war. But otherwise, it always should.

A philosophy tech typically boosts research by 1/3 and takes 2 years to research, which means that only 8 years after you starting researching the tech, it has paid you back every RP and will start making profit after that. That's a damn good investment in peacetime, and quite crucial if you want to play efficiently.

Industry isn't really that important early on because you can easily catch-up later in the game. That is in stark contrast to technological progress, which is almost impossible to play catch up against a competent opponent.

Nobody is researching a philosophy tech ever year - but every 15 years. It is also perfectly possible for the Russian AI to be up-to-date on both philosopy and economical techs at once. Not that it ever is, but it's possible.

I agree with you perfectly that the philosophy tech shouldn't always take priority, like if you need money fast or you're in the middle of a war. But otherwise, it always should.

A philosophy tech typically boosts research by 1/3 and takes 2 years to research, which means that only 8 years after you starting researching the tech, it has paid you back every RP and will start making profit after that. That's a damn good investment in peacetime, and quite crucial if you want to play efficiently.

Industry isn't really that important early on because you can easily catch-up later in the game. That is in stark contrast to technological progress, which is almost impossible to play catch up against a competent opponent.

Now convert tht into the technology.txt....

Mathmatically, if you want to have a broad range of techs, it makes sense to stay 1-2 levels behind in the Philosophy tree. Being a huge country with a ton of divergent priorities means that it makes less and less sense to sacrifice valuable army/navy/economic tech that you could have _right_now_ for a Philosophy tech that doesn't even do anything in and of itself. Although, it's kinda silly to have 5 levels of Political Thought tech. If you're going to go "high" as opposed to "broad" in the tech tree, you really do need to have more than 1 level of Philosophy.
Considering that the boost from philosphy is tremendous, I can think only of few scenarios where you want to forgo an instant research:
(1) You want to colonize ASAP. That is - in fact - a good reason to skip Analytic Philosphy in 1870.
(2) An upcoming important war. Either you rush an army tech and try to steamroll the enemy (Military Directionism, Machine Gun, Bolt-Action Rifles) or you are an underdog and know that the AI is coming for you. Then it is necessary, but still not preferrable.
(3) You skip Idealism because you want Ideological Thought first, since the plurality boost gives more RP and the additional benefits are nice. A valid reason, imo.

But considering that each level of philosphy is roughly a ~20-30% boost to your available RP, it will usually pay for itself within 5-10 years. So there is almost no reason to not research it asap - and absolutely no reason to stay more than one level behind!
If you are short on money, cut funding for a few years until you have another power tech. Hell, even go in debt if you need to, but don't skip philosophy for money!

Plus: There are only very few techs that you really need to rush. A thing I learned from my AHD games (roughly 30 finished ones so far) is, that the industry techs do NOT need to be rushed. In fact, most of them are rather weak. Electricity and Combustion sounds nice on paper, but you will lack rubber to start producing significant amounts of goods. And once enough rubber is available, other countries will already start to build some factories. And the most profitable late game factories are in fact not in the industry tree: Commerce has Synthetic Oil (a real moneymaker!) and Culture has Radios. Both have low ressource input requirements while their outputs sell like sliced bread.

The only techs that are really more important to rush them are Machine Guns for colonizing, Military Directionism for Gas Attack roflstomp (although that is more like a gamble) and Management Strategy to hurt the economy of your enemies badly for a few years.

But Russia doesn't just need to be up to date in commerce techs. It also needs industry techs for the economy, needs Political Thought for the NFs, needs army techs obviously, and naval techs because it's capital is easy to blockade. A Russia that obsessively researches Philosophy is going to be worse off than it is now.

Also, 8 years is a long time to break even in Vic2. I generally run games with a horizon of 5-10 years, and unless I'm absolutely going to avoid war in all those years I skip the Philosophy techs. 8 years is especially a long time when you have to do it every 10 to 20 years. You're spending 40 of the game's 100 years "paying back" the time you spent researching Philosophy, for a supposed benefit in the future, when there's nothing better at predicting future performance than current geopolitical position. I'd much rather have 3-5 extra regions after 8 years, than to break even on RP investment.

Of course, I also research Philosophy techs, and prioritize them when I do, and there's prestige bonuses from Philosophy techs that make the tech worthwhile in and of itself, and in your example in the OP Russia really should get at least 1 more level of Philosophy if it's going to grab level 4 techs. But I don't think that this is a big problem with the AI.

Economical techs = industry techs + commerce techs.

8 years isn't a long time if you gotta do it every 10 years, because you profit every time. To say it likes this: you could've gotten more industry techs over a 10 year period if you researched the philosophy tech, than if you didn't and instead went all-industry.

As I said, if you are looking at an upcoming war, need plurality or need money fast, go for it and don't rush philosophy. But researching any non-essential naval techs or commerce techs, like the AI does, over philosophy techs is a mistake 100 times out of a 100. .

Russian AI is useless. Are you kidding me? It didn't even research idealism by 1878. This is a HUGE problem which needs allot of attention, because it makes Russia really backwards for no good reason.

I generally run games with a horizon of 5-10 years
Well, that is the difference between us. I usually think about how I want my country to look around 1900, so why should I care about short term issues in 1870? :p

Apart from that:
(1) Industry mostly boosts RGO, while commerce boosts factories.
If you want to play an agricultural Russia, go for industry. Otherwise: Just research enough industry techs so your treasury is evened out and then switch to Commerce Organisation.
But while money is short during the early game, it is mostly not an issue after 1850 unless you have a huge army or plan to build an enormous DN fleet. In fact: Money is mostly useless in this game for any decent sized nation.

(2) Philosophy has a lot more benefits than just more RP.
Remember that in these 8 years, you will aready benefit by having more daily RP, thus other techs are finished faster and their benefits apply more quickly as well. There is a HUGE difference between 700 and 500 days of research for a tech. :)
So even if you want to rush army techs, it will only take 3-4 years until you have again reached the same tech level vs. a person that has skipped the tech. Plus, as you mentioned: Prestige.

Short calculation:
Tier IV techs for 14.000 RP. You have 30 RP/d, with Analytic Philosophy you get 40 RP/d. You save up one year of RP in 1869 (10950 RP).
The first tech will be finished in early April 1870. Now let's compare the situation for army tech vs. AP + army tech:
April 1870: 1 army tech vs. 0+AP.
April 1871: 1 vs. 1+AP.
July 1871: 2 vs 1+AP.
April 1872: 2 vs 2+AP
November 1872: 3 vs 2+AP.
March 1873: 3 vs 3+AP.
February 1874: 4 vs 3+AP.
March 1874: 4 vs 4+AP.

I'd much rather have 3-5 extra regions after 8 years, than to break even on RP investment.
Russia has no need for expansion. It has already so many pops - why should you pay a costly war and risk upsetting other GPs for a few hundred thousand more people that may not even be of your culture?
In fact, in SP, most nations you play do not need to wage a single war and still can be #1 in 1936. That's the beautiful thing with Vicky 2: You can warmonger if you want, but the gameplay does not make war that benefitial.
Okay, certain goods like tropical wood, rubber and oil can be worth a war to be directly under your control, but most of the time you can sphere the nations that produce it. ;)

Last edited:
Russian AI is useless. Are you kidding me? It didn't even research idealism by 1878. This is a HUGE problem which needs allot of attention, because it makes Russia really backwards for no good reason.

increase the weigting of those techs after the 60's then,

n.b machine guns and other colonise techs are very heavily weighted after the 60's

Well I tried doing that, and then the Russian AI researched philosophy techs while all other nations ignored it.. sigh like opposite of what is going on now.

So that's why I asked naeulus for how the AI tech logic works.

Okay, certain goods like tropical wood, rubber and oil can be worth a war to be directly under your control, but most of the time you can sphere the nations that produce it.
In the next expansion they should add artificial rubber. Either that or massively increase the amount of natural-rubber in the vicky2 world... the demand is like 3-4 times the supply typically.

btw the AI tech logic isn't the only issue, also the AI sometimes forgets about its armies (much rarer in 2.2 than in 2.1 tho) and it often bankrupts itself by buying national stockpile resources while in peacetime..

nasaeulus: isn't it possible to just use scripts, like in HoI3? How does this system work anyway? Is modifier additive to the factor, or multiplicative? Or does it overrule the factor?

How does AI tech selection work?

The factors are multiplicative. It works pretty much like this:

The AI calculates the factors for every tech that is available to pick from.
It then puts these into a weight table, and rolls on it.
Wherever the roll 'lands' is the tech it researches.

So let's say that Russia has 25 possible techs to research (as it nearly always does). 12 of those techs have factors of 20, 1 has a factor of 50, 6 more have factors of 100 each, and the remaining 6 have factors of 500.

That's a total of 3890.

Effectively, the AI rolls an imaginary 3890-sided dice. the numbers 1-20 will be the first tech, 21-40 the second tech, etc etc, with the last techs having 500 numbers each, as that's their weighting.

Obviously, the 500 factor techs are much more likely to be picked - but if you look at the whole thing, then even with 500 weighting, the chance of that tech being selected is still only 1 in 8.

So let's say we give one 5000 weighting. Now it's chance of being picked is about 2 in 3. Even with ten times the chance of any other tech, it's still not going to be picked 30% of the time. Moreover, you've also made the AI unresponsive to other factors - so it'll go for that tech 2/3rds of the time even if it's ludicrously inappropriate for it to do so, like when it's massively outgunned by a hostile neighbour. So then we have to start adding in situational code.

But we're adding that to all 25 different available techs. In fact, it's worse than that, since this situation will keep occurring all the way up the tree, so we're doing that for 150 technologies. Suddenly, because you're increased the weighting on Education, Russia can't colonize and Prussia takes that province in Archangelsk every game. Or Russia stops teching military and it's army gets curb-stomped by Sweden. Or Russia stops researching commerce or industry, and goes bankrupt every five minutes - and worse, since it's not teching the RGO improvement techs, a lumber mill in Germany can't get inputs, and so the American ship industry crashes, and suddenly anyone playing an unciv can't build a navy.

So yeah, that's why we don't say things like 'it's not difficult to fix' or 'it's very simple to change' in relation to, well, almost anything you do in V2. Almost everything turns out to be zero-sum in nature, and ties into everything else in the game, so you end up cocking up 20 other things whenever you change one.

I was asking if the "modifier" command was multiplicative or additive, ie if factor = 50 for researching tech x with a modifier command of "modifier=10" for a certain condition, will the chance be increased to 60 (50+10=factor+modifier) or 500 (50x10=factor x modifier)?

But as for the AI tech logic, this sounds like a decent system. Well, except that it doesn't explain why every great power except Russia manages to research all the philosophy techs.. I ask again, does this happen only with me? I got the correct checksum and all.

I mean, what are the chances for Russia researching 15 techs (or doing 15 "rolls") and NOT researching even idealism? That's way too small for it being random, especially if it happens in every game. Giving philosophy techs factor 95'000 should solve this problem, right? Maybe make the 1870 philosophy tech have only a factor of 5000 so that at least a few random AI nations get to research machine guns for early colonization?

As for unpredictability: Come on, Russia researching philosopy techs regularly won't hurt anything significant... It's just one country, even if a big one. Ah I'll test this anyway.

Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate your time! :)

Last edited:
The first NF tech is a much better choice for Russia to go for first anyway, since it adds the same RP bonus from the pluralty inventions and it gives you an NF as well - which Russia rather needs. And I do see it getting the philosophy techs sometimes, anyway.

Modifiers multiply the factor in AI chances, always.

well, it looks like russia wants to be able to field a lot of resilient and fast reinforcing but shitty in doing actual damage armies and fleets and get most out of their RGOs

...which would actually be pretty realistic, considering Russia at the time. For reference, the huge army and industrial modernization project that so worried Germany and Austria took place 1910-1915.

Going screenshot by screenshot:
*The choices for Army techs are basically what I would choose. The artillery choice is a little weird, but understandable, and the focus on defensive techs fits well into the combat mechanics.
*Naval techs are a little fubar. There's no need to focus on the +damage/-damage techs unless you have a large and very diverse navy, which I never see Russia have. Even more concerning is that most of those bonuses don't even apply to ships that Russia can build. the Naval Leadership techs are worthwhile techs, though, so not everything is screwed up.
*Commerce techs. About what I would expect. A lot of those techs aren't going to do a lot of good unless you have good administration, which Russia doesn't. I'd get some of the +% taxes techs, but whatever.
*Culture techs. We have another "Naval" phenomenon. There's very, very little reason to spend so much time on the +reinforcement techs when there's free slots in the Army tree (maybe there weren't?). The Political Thought techs are good choices for Russia. I'd get Empiricism, but that's not a huge problem.
*The choices for Industrial techs are good. The +supply techs are a must for large armies (which Russia has), the railroad techs are necessary for moving them around quickly, the the Power tree is obviously necessary for a country that relies on RGOs. The only suggestion that I would have is to get Mechanical Production (which has such large bonuses that I think it should be heavily weighted), and Cheap Iron (Russia has a lot of iron RGOs).

On balance, these are good tech choices as AI Russia. Almost all of the non-Army/Navy techs it chooses have *something* to do with their military, which is realistic considering Russia's reliance on its military. If there were something to tweak, I would suggest moving emphasis to the Ship Construction tree from the Naval Engineering tree within Naval techs, and moving emphasis from the Psychology techs to the Army techs. I don't think researching Psychology would have resulted in a better Russia, and considering that they're in the GP club on the strength of their military alone, it might even result in a worse Russia. It's 1905 and Russia is number 7 in the world with a huge military, a middling economy, and poor prestige. That's a pretty good simulation of what actually happened.

The only strange thing is that Russia starts with (and apparently keeps) the Academic Intelligentsia administration. Given that their tech choices are almost entirely based around their military, I think that AI should be better at switching academic administrations.

So, there's 3 things I would change in regards to that example: AI Russia should change its academic establishment, should research Ship Construction instead of Naval Engineering, and should leave the Psychology tree alone. None of those things have anything to do with researching Philosophy, and in fact if Russia DID research Psychology instead of some military techs, they'd probably drop off the GP list.

TLDR: The AI's choice of techs is okay, and while it isn't perfect I think it does the job very well.

thanks to minificelle for checking his game.. it obviously confirms that the tech AI, Russian in particular, is completely useless.

Paradox, can you give a comment?

Naselus: thanks :)

I wouldn't call those tech choices 'completely useless', tbh. The heavy psychology weighting is a bit odd (tho probably down to mil fixation), but other than that they're pretty good choices aside from the lack of philosophy techs.

What I'd be more concerned with is the dreadful state of the culture tech school, which means the Russians have a lot of penalties and very little bonuses.

They should've at least researched clean coal, mechanical production, philosophy techs and (the only useful?) naval techline, ship construction... meh is it only me who gets annoyed when the AI does such strategic mistakes?

I unfortunately won't have time to fix the tech files this week, so I'll call paradox on this thread and hopefully make them check out this problem.

Last edited:
They should've at least researched clean coal, mechanical production, philosophy techs and (the only useful?) naval techline, ship construction... meh is it only me who gets annoyed when the AI does such strategic mistakes?

I unfortunately won't have time to fix the tech files this week, so I'll call paradox on this thread and hopefully make them check out this problem.

what order did they pick there techs, why would those be better for russia then the ones they picked

OK, so I did paradox's job and fixed this "always research philosophy techs" stuff yesterday. I also took the liberty to make the AI research mechanical production and a few other cost-effective techs (like biologism if it has low literacy and the naval ships techline if it has a decent coast)). In addition I made the less useful techs (tax efficiency, naval leadership military planning etc.) cost less to research, so that if the AI does research them it doesn't hurt it too much.

The result in my Haiti game (I'm at 1913 now) is that Russia industrializes by roughly 1870, Germany, Russia and France fight over 2nd 3rd and 4th places. If it hadn't been for the ridiculous prestige bonus from colonizing, I reckon Russia would overtake France and Germany. I need to fix that.

If anyone wants my fix, just shout out and I'll upload it. Anyway I think my changes objectively makes the game much better, because now the AI actually researches techs intelligently, instead of doing retarded stuff.

Last edited: