• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome, Mr. Solotskon!

Also, I believe it is entirely proper to praise General Bradley for his service during this last bloody conflict; I have every expectation that he will continue to serve this nation well.

I give praise to those who fought against the evil fascists in America, now we sadly must do it abroad after the assault on American soil! I announce that the Kansas National Army guard, has eradicated all fascist party members and establishments in the state of Kansas and most have faced trial. Fascism is evil, we saved ourselves from it now we must save the world from fascism! We must all now put in to the cause of war, us women must work and get payed just as men, and join army corps in nursing and other fields to help America! I personally have joined as a volunteer of the defense and well being of the state of Kansas, while our national guard is headed to the Pacific coast to guard the state of California! Now, we must put an end to Fascism everywhere!

- Christina J. Blancharde, Congresswomen for Kansas's 2nd district

Ummmm BBB, are you ok? You just posted a 20 year old update.

The Horshingtons return to their formal position again, Secretary of State.
Congratulations to Mr.Cahill and welcome Mr. Solotskon
((Now that you say it Projekt 919 you are right))

((I've looked, and I have no idea what they're talking about... perhaps you all could show us?))

((I've looked, and I have no idea what they're talking about... perhaps you all could show us?))

((It has since been deleted but for a brief while AFTER the McCahill Update the Jarvis update was reposted. I should have quoted it. Just because I elected to oppose both the Fascists and the Government does not mean I am crazy))

((I survived! Yay! :D))

I am placing myself at the President's disposal to be used however best I can be used in the war effort. Massachusetts, or at least my constituents, stand with the President.

The Second World War
1939: Shock and Awe

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor proved to be a nearly perfect, small-scale version of the first year of the Second World War. Axis forces, more psychologically and technologically prepared for war, struck from readied positions at NATO forces that had barely been given orders for mobilization. The result was devastating; the United States Navy’s largest ship, the aircraft carrier USS Vallejo, was hit twelve times in the first wave, sending the pride and joy of the USN to the bottom of the bay in flames, taking 1,000 crewmen with it. Sixteen other ships were sunk or damaged, causing losses to the Pacific Fleet that would not be replaced until 1940.
In total, the attack on Pearl Harbor and bombs dropped on Honolulu by a group of Japanese bombers that had gotten lost killed 4,321 American sailors, soldiers and 322 civilians. The effect was both paralyzing and electrifying, placing the US Navy in the Pacific indefinitely on the defensive, while simultaneously creating a thirst for vengeance that saw volunteering surge in all three branches of the military. The best example of the general response of the nation to Pearl Harbor is likely Fleet Admiral Joshua Nimitz’s statement that “once we're through with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in hell.”

vallejosinking.jpg

1. The burning USS Vallejo, just outside Pearl Harbor, May 13th 1939.​

Before McCahill and the American people could recover and react fully to the first strike of the war, the Axis struck at their allies with a speed and strength that no one had considered possible. In less than a month, Poland fell to the Germans, their blitzkrieg tactics obliterating any and all organized resistance as the German Air Force, given more and more importance after its third-tier status during 1913-16, devastated Warsaw and other Polish cities. Before April was out, the Germans would be marching through the Low Countries as France struggled to mobilize its reserves, which had fallen to neglect during the economically uncertain decades following the Great War. Britain, unable to muster anything but a six division strong Expeditionary Force in the first months of the war, was forced to sit back and watch as the continent fell to Hitler and Kaiser Wilhelm IV.
In South America, Brazilian troops initiated the bloodiest conflict in the history of the continent by opening the South American Front on April 1st with a mass troop movement across its borders with Uruguay, Bolivia, Paraguay and Argentina. These nations would all hold on by a thread throughout the year, as the arrival of Chilean troops halted or slowed the Brazilian advance. Colombia, Peru and Ecuador responded by attempting to invade Brazil through the northern Amazon Rainforest. Here, the environment would prove the greatest danger as Brazilian and NATO forces engaged each other in a rainforest riddled with disease and death.

safront1939.jpg

2. Brazilian troops in northern Argentina, c. 1939.
In the Pacific, the Japanese followed up their success at Pearl Harbor with an invasion of the Dutch East Indies and the Philippines. By December 1939, the Empire of Japan had reached Papua New Guinea, thus coming close to strangling Australia of communication with the rest of NATO, succeeded in toppling the government of Siam and initiating and invasion of British Malaya and Southern Burma. American bases in Guam, Wake and Micronesia had also been captured, with Japanese naval and land forces there likely preparing for a push eastward to Hawaii or southward to the Solomon Islands and Australia.
Through all this, NATO forces had reeled in shock, responding with half-baked plans and hasty countermeasures that either failed or succeeded only partially in stemming the tide of Axis victories. Yet the British, French and Americans could all sustain the territorial losses they had suffered in the Pacific, having surrendered only a certain amount of strategic capability. Similarly, in South America the situation seemed unlikely to drastically deteriorate after the NATO counteroffensives by the Chileans, Colombians, Peruvians and Ecuadorians. To many, even the loss of Poland and the Low Countries was sustainable as long as NATO still held a significant foothold in Europe.
This however, changed in July 1939, when the Americans were still trying to reorganize to support a war effort for the first time in 20 years, having spent those years slowly but surely demobilizing more completely than any other nation on earth, and the British were still incapable of sending aid beyond guns, money and six divisions. The Germans had been in effective control of the Low Countries for almost three months when they finally initiated phase two of Operation Yellow. On July 4th, German tanks, cars, infantrymen and planes streamed over the Franco-Belgian border, burning everything in their path and making a beeline for Paris. French troops, lulled into a false sense of security by the German quiet, were swept out of the way with ease.

fallofparis.jpg

3. German troops in Paris, October 1st 1939.​

By October, Paris had fallen, French troops were in disarray, and the British Expeditionary Force had been pulled back across the channel after nearly getting surrounded in Normandy. Faced with complete defeat in the north and an impending Italian invasion in the south, the French government surrendered on October 21st, 15 days after Hitler and Kaiser Wilhelm had had their picture taken in front of the Eiffel Tower. In Britain, the new Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, called the month of October “one of the darkest in the history of mankind, and for France the first of many, to which there is no end in sight.”
Indeed for NATO as a whole, the next months seemed to promise darkness and defeat. Of all the many fronts of the new war, only South America seemed close to salvage, while Europe and the Pacific seemed ready for even more disastrous defeats as Britain and Australia came under threat. Against their clearly superior enemies, Germany and Japan, these two nations were unlikely to stand a chance without assistance, but whether the United States could rise to the challenge after a year of seeming paralysis was not up to Britain or Australia, but to McCahill, his staff, and the American people as a whole.

-------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

I know it was quick, but I was trying to give the essentials of the tactical situation for 1940; the first year that we really have a chance of hitting back.

Let’s get strategic.

I call upon all Americans to stand firm in the face of this great tyranny; this war can and will be won by the United States! I ask all men and women to join the Armed Forces, to donate to the war effort, and to help in any possible way they can; these warmongers must be stopped!

As a General in the United States Army, I implore all citizens to take up arms and join the army! I ask that the President do everything in his power to bring the full might of the United States to War. I request a position in Europe to lead out mean against the German Tyranny.

Effective immediately, I am resigning as a United States Senator and returning to the Army.

((As a random, and completely unrelated bit of information, I've finally just realized that the park, that I live next to, is named Ritter Park... must be named after some VP from an alternate history or something...))

((As a random, and completely unrelated bit of information, I've finally just realized that the park, that I live next to, is named Ritter Park... must be named after some VP from an alternate history or something...))

((That's pretty awesome :)))

I, Christina J. Blancharde will hereby declare that I am resigning as congresswoman of Kansas and joining the women's nursing corps in the army, may many women follow suite so that we can destroy fascism not just at home but around the globe.

35 women from her district did follow suite creating the Kansas women's nursing corps.

Last edited:
I wish to donate of my personal fortune to helping these nurse groups, and funding the war in general; I've also asked my relatives, who lead the various companies our family holds, to do the same.

((I thought you'd enjoy it, Avindian :) . It's a nice park too!))

I hereby request reassignment from my current position in San Diego to Fleet Admiral Joshua Nimitz's Pacific Fleet as commander of a battle group. Though the Axis may have started this conflict with their cowardly sneak attack, I intend to ensure that we're the ones who end it and the scourge of international fascism once and for all.

The treachery of fascism has spread globally much as it did nationally in the Great Coup. We must take up arms again to contain the fascist threat and show these dictators that the people of the world will not support their actions nor fall back helplessly in the wake of their fast advance. As we are separated by two seas and a canal, we must especially raise up our naval forces to effectively defend our supply routes to our allies abroad. The shipyards of America must stand side by side to reforge our fleets and in so doing break the back of the fascist advances.

And what then? We must strike at our enemies - first at Japan, and then at Brazil and Germany. To our West is the first target - Japan is overextending itself, arrogant in its military might, but still threatening. If Hawaii or Australia falls, we will have no foothold against a hostile and ruthless naval power with a free reign in Asia. If we are pushed out of the Pacific, how can we stand firm along the broad Pacific Coast of NATO? It will divert our supplies and manpower from important fighting as we extend ourselves thin across both oceans. No, we must fight back now. We must not let Japan secure itself in the mighty strength and manpower of China, or in the isolated fortresses of the Pacific Islands. While we still have our allies, while Japan is still fighting on all sides, we must force them back. Only then, with the Pacific front safe, can we put our full might - along with Australia and China and as much can be spared from South America - against the Germans.

In the meantime, we must make Britain a fortress with the support of American armies, fleets, and air force across the chokepoint of the English Channel. Let us keep the fortresses we still hold in the Atlantic, Africa, and the Mediterranean to disrupt the Germans and Italians and support the resistance of the free people of Europe. Then, when the time is right, we will return. It will not be an easy nor a painless victory, but we must persevere.