• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
edit: One big downside is lack of foreign investment, though.
I thought they would allow this for L-F again in 5.1? Have not played yet.

With LF you can still build railroads abroad

1. With L-F can't capitalists build foreign factories/railroads etc?

2. With Planned Economy, it says Factory Owner Cost -100%. If I remember right in vanilla, wasn't it +200%, or am I going mad? Does planned economy make factories cheaper for the state to build?!

EDIT: 3. Also is there also any way to cancel capitalist's projects before they are built?

Last edited:
1. Nope.

2. I don't remember what it was like in vanilla.

3. Build something else in that state.

1. Nope.

2. I don't remember what it was like in vanilla.

3. Build something else in that state.

Ah thanks. @2. I had a look, it says -100% in vanilla. But I am sure it was 200% once.

What will make a factory cheaper; +100% or -100%?

EDIT: I have been looking at the game files. It says (for planned economy): factory_owner_cost = -1 #negative costs, can't build.
I am going to guess this is so capis cannot build factories, but does it make it cheaper for the state also?

Last edited:
Ah thanks. @2. I had a look, it says -100% in vanilla. But I am sure it was 200% once.

What will make a factory cheaper; +100% or -100%?

It's talking about the cost for Capitalists to build them, and in this context prevents them from doing so at all.

So do the LF capitalists produce factories that are useful for your state? My problem is I will invent aircraft or barrels and the capitalists will just refuse to build factories for them, leaving me in a awkward position when modern war erupts. Are they smart enough to build these kinds of factories or is there a way to give them a nudge toward what your nation needs?

So do the LF capitalists produce factories that are useful for your state? My problem is I will invent aircraft or barrels and the capitalists will just refuse to build factories for them, leaving me in a awkward position when modern war erupts. Are they smart enough to build these kinds of factories or is there a way to give them a nudge toward what your nation needs?

Use your NFs to suggest them, in states where factory workers are abundant. The Capi AI is generally a lot smarter at sniffing what will make a profit now, anyway.

The biggest problem I had with capitalists is that they filled up all of the states with wineries and lumber mills before Edison, Ford and Wright Bros appears. And you can't free up space unless you have direct control on closing down and manually building since even if you close down, they keep re-opening old stuff. Also the reason why late-game items never get produced enough.

Even when I forcefully demolish stuff and build tank factories etc and give them the reins back, they close down those because it didn't profit like a week because it had only 15 workers during that period. And they put a canned food factory in the place of an plane factory then..

Victoria II is meant to be realistic and in real life, Liberals have no idea what to do with an economy, so its only fair that Vicky II reflects on their undesirable, erratic actions, which destroy your economy. :D

Victoria II is meant to be realistic and in real life, Liberals have no idea what to do with an economy, so its only fair that Vicky II reflects on their undesirable, erratic actions, which destroy your economy. :D
modern liberals are vicky 2's conservatives.

Just saying.

Actually, what is the benefit of Planned Economy, other than not having Capis build where you want to?

I play this game 1 year now and still haven't figured to be honest.

I just call it terrible and tell everyone to avoid it unless they want to RP commies.