• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(146453)

Sergeant
1 Badges
Jul 20, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III
Hi. I already pre-ordered the game 2 days ago (found out about it 4 days ago), so when I saw the demo I was psyched to get an advanced look.

I do have to ask though, is it true that we are limited to one map, the same map, you cannot save, and there are no other game options available? If that is true, it means having to start over every time from scratch, which for me is a pretty much bummer.

I was hoping to really be able to see some inner and outer working of the game, but I have started 3 times and so far it has been the same map everytime and I have had to restart everything 3 times.

Did I miss something? If I did not, is that the way it is going to stay? It's only about 11 days until release, and I already own it, I just wanted more of a taste from the demo than the same 1 game and having to start from scratch each and every time.

Thanks!

Hi. I already pre-ordered the game 2 days ago (found out about it 4 days ago), so when I saw the demo I was psyched to get an advanced look.

I do have to ask though, is it true that we are limited to one map, the same map, you cannot save, and there are no other game options available? If that is true, it means having to start over every time from scratch, which for me is a pretty much bummer.

I was hoping to really be able to see some inner and outer working of the game, but I have started 3 times and so far it has been the same map everytime and I have had to restart everything 3 times.

Did I miss something? If I did not, is that the way it is going to stay? It's only about 11 days until release, and I already own it, I just wanted more of a taste from the demo than the same 1 game and having to start from scratch each and every time.

Thanks!

Were you expecting something more? Its supposed to be a taster. So you can make a judgement if you like the game. Surely 50 turns is enough for that?

Ah so you want early or pre-release access then. Im afraid that unless you were fortunate enough to get onto the closed beta or the IGN early access beta youll just have to wait! Sorry. But its less than 2weeks.
Yeah, and thanks. I know, I can wait a few days. I guess I was just bummed hoping to get more of an exposure about what it is, options and characters and the like, and having to start over each time kind of drives me crazy.

Soon, though, and I am glad I bought it. Should be a lot of fun!

I agree

I preordered the game while I was downloading the demo and I can't wait for the full version to come out. The 50 turn limit is frustrating!!! In my last play through I had just built my first unit of mages, but didn't have a chance to get them into combat, and was rushing a settler to the elven village to see what kind of units that gave (quality-wise) when the time expired! I was amazed at how quickly time went by (reminds me of my first experiences with MoM and the first couple Civ's) and I absolutely love the guns or butter mechanic with the resources...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunjah_Kahn View Post
First time I've ever heard that; would you mind explaining the meaning of it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_versus_butter_model

That's a good description of the overall concept. With regards to the game, I like how most resources have a couple options for development. One improves your economy (gold, mana, research, food, etc.) the other improves your military (unlocks new units or adds upgrades). You have to decide if you want to improve your economy or your military with a given resource, you can't do both.

For example, silver deposit that you start with in the demo. You can build a silver mine, which gives you a big bonus to gold, or you can build a silver metalsmith, which allows you to upgrade your troops with silver weapons. I've seen similar options for gem deposits, elven village, the halberdier structure, and a few others...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunjah_Kahn View Post
First time I've ever heard that; would you mind explaining the meaning of it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_versus_butter_model

That's a good description of the overall concept. With regards to the game, I like how most resources have a couple options for development. One improves your economy (gold, mana, research, food, etc.) the other improves your military (unlocks new units or adds upgrades). You have to decide if you want to improve your economy or your military with a given resource, you can't do both.

For example, silver deposit that you start with in the demo. You can build a silver mine, which gives you a big bonus to gold, or you can build a silver metalsmith, which allows you to upgrade your troops with silver weapons. I've seen similar options for gem deposits, elven village, the halberdier structure, and a few others...

I agree, I love how this is done.