• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ouch. That certainly isn't fun.

If Transvaal is in your sphere, doesn't that mean you can't attack them? I assumed you were going to snatch them up along with Oranje.

really? This seemed nonsensical to me -when would ever give access to your natural enemy? for one thing, doesn't it make it harder to DOW them?

Nonsensical to let MA to attack Denmark? Yes. But Austria could have needed the access to attack Russia or France, in which case I'm sure the Prussians would have been happy to oblige.

Chapter 4: Preparing for the Scramble

Chapter 4: Preparing for the Scramble

Welcome back, everybody! I've been able to get in a lot more Vic2 time lately, can't promise that this pace will continue, but let's enjoy it while we can, shall we ;)?

When we left Denmark, it was 1850, and I am slowly trying to overcome having one of my few home provinces taken away by Austria. Grrr.....

Portugese Persist Profitlessly

It doesn't take long for war to break out again, as in July 1850 Portugal DOWs me again, trying again to take 'Ulundi' (Zululand) from me. Portugal doesn't scare me, but their allies, Prussia and Sweden, do. Luckily, Prussia bails on the Portugese (whew!). Less luckily, Sweden does not.

While I am far too weak to attack Sweden, I do have, thankfully, enough of a navy left that I can keep them from walking into Copenhagen.

On the land front, as last time, the crucial battle happens almost immediately, as the sole Portugese force attacks mine:

18512debutante.jpg

Having a 'strange debutante' lead your armies is not such a wise move :), and I win. The rest of the war proceeds in a less interesting, but positive fashion, as I once again conquer my way up the east coast of Africa. I make a mistake when, in December 1851, Portugal white-peaces out. I should have thought to add a wargoal, but just forgot - I promise myself not to repeat this mistake next time.

It's better to be lucky than clever

Towards the end of last session, I had decided to take a bit of a 'luxury' investment in Technology, going for 'State and Government', a level 3 Cultural tech which would let me switch to a consitutional monarchy, mainly because I like the Victoria2 political system, and actually understand it ;) - see my magnum opus on the subject.

This turns out, to my surprise, to actually have been a clever move, as one of the prerequisites ((1) below) for this maneuver is to have CON <= 3, and when I get this tech it's at 2.87 and climbing ((2) below)! I lucked out - I go ahead and make the switch, getting the effects shown in (3):

18521govt.jpg

Speaking of Technology...

Normally I don't really talk about which technologies I pursue, as with rare exceptions it's kinda boring and breaks the narrative flow. Except for certain special occasions - like this! The 'special occasion' is that I am pointing Denmark towards the 'Scramble for Africa', and so I sit down for a few minutes and plan out a Technology battle plan. My plan has to achieve 4 goals:

(1) let me colonize Africa as soon as possible
(2) While keeping (or even adding to) my research advantage
(3) while investing in enough Army and Navy tech that I can deter attacks,
(4) while investing in enough Industry that I have some money to do/build things!

A hard balancing act. The way I go about it is to look at the technologies that are 'must haves', and decide them into 3 groups - ones I can't research until 1870, ones I can't research into 1860, and everything else. The list winds up looking like this, where the number after a tech is its level (1 is easiest, 6 is hardest)

1870 -
Machine Guns(4) -- need for colonization
1860 -
Empricism(3) (+50% to RP),
Iron Steamer(3) (gives ironclads/monitors)

other/pre-requisites
Nationalism and Imperialism (4) -- need for colonization
Breech-loaded rifles(3) -- need for colonization
Steamer(2) -- need for Iron Steamer
Mechanical production(2) - need some industry

To make a long story short, I wind up, in this session, hitting these technologies, with enough room to spare that I also invest in the tech (positivism) that helps Educational Efficiency (it's all about the RP), early railroad, and, my one nod to commerce, the one that increases tax efficiency (might have been a waste). My research continues in full roar, I can knock off L2 techs in about 18 months - a nice change from playing Persia!

Two notable accomplishments are:

In 1862, I get Monitors, and start slowly upgrading my fleet - out with the men-of-war, in with the Monitors. Out with the clipper transports, in with the steam transports. Out with the frigates, in with the commerce raiders. The net effect is that by the end of this session, my navy has only grown by maybe 50% in size, but far more than that in power.

Also in 1862, I get a whopping 40 Prestige points from inventions unlocked by Empiricism - that RP-enhancing brance of the Culture tree is very, very nice!

Diplomacy

On the diplomatic quest, I spend this entire session engaged in a fruitless attempt to move Sweden into my SOI - every time I get near 50 influence, Russia knocks me down. Sigh.

I engage in the same game with the Netherlands, but with a slight twist. For some reason, France (my tug-of-war opponent for the Netherlands) takes it eye off the ball, and in 1868, after 20 years of effort, they briefly enter my SOI! Gives me hope for Sweden. It doesn't last that long, as we'll see below, but it's nice while it lasts.

Prussia almost does something

A head-scratcher in this game has been that Prussia has been totally inert. Things change a little bit when in 1854 France DOWs Prussia. They wind up not doing much, and white-peace out in 1856, but it has several advantages for me. First, as part of the war maneuverings, both Sweden and France ask me for military access, which I grant - this will make it harder for them to DOW me in the future.

Second, about a year after the war ends, Prussia asks me to ally with them! They don't have to ask twice! I wrap the Prussian security blank snugly about me - for a bit...

Now, THAT's a fleet

I had been getting all proud about increasing my navy from 9 ships to 10 when the main French war fleet strolls by on its way back from the Prussian war - Gulp:

18564frfleet.jpg

Bullying Oman

We're now all the way up to 1859, and my infamy is now low enough, and my armed forces strengthened enough, that I start casting my eye about. Way back when, I had mentioned that there are only 2 non-GP footholds on the coast of Africa - Zululand (which I grabbed), and Omani Somaliland (which I didn't). I decide that it's time to remedy this, and I DOW Oman - the war is a cakewalk (I don't think I ever see an Omani soldier), and by July 1859 I have my second foothold on the coast of Africa:

18597somaliland.jpg

I immediately start building a naval base there, again looking forwards to the 'scramble for Africa'

the Eye of Sauron falls on ... the USA

The UK is so over-powered in this game that I think about it like the 'Eye of Sauron' in the Lord of the Rings - a nearly omnipotent force that you just pray will fall elsewhere. For some reason, in this game it falls on the USA, and in two wars thrashes it, taking American New England in the first, and New York in the second! And that's not all - check it out:

186411usa.jpg

(1) and (2) are New England and New York, now British
(3) is the CSA, alive and well
(4) is Mexico, which has retaken Texas, and never lost the West.
(5) is Russia, which has gotten into the act, taking Oregon and Idaho.

This incredible fail puts the USA all the way down to 5th place. Wow. Wouldn't it be something if Denmark could beat the USA? Hey, a badger can dream :)

Portugese Punishment

So here we are, all the way up to 1868, when decades of effort pay off, and the Netherlands allies with me. It turns out they have quite the glittering set of allies - check it out:

18521allies.jpg

from left to right, that's the UK, Russia, Austria, Denmark, Spain, and I-don't-know-who. 4 GPs - impressive!

This becomes particularly useful as the very next month, Portugal DOWs me for the 3rd time, once again seeking Ulundi. Like the Netherlands, Portugal again has an all-star cast of allies, but thankfully every one of them declines this time. The only slight bummer is that Prussia was allied with both of us, and breaks with both of us - no more security blanket for me :(

This time I wage the war correctly. First of all, my armed forces (when augmented with the Dutch!) are now much stronger than the Portugese, and we are able to blockade the Portugese coast - blockading a capital moves you war score way up:

18687blockade.jpg

This grab also shows my spanking modern navy.

Secondly, as I once again chew my way through Portugese east africa, this time I add a wargoal - Lorenco Marques, their southernmost province.

No more GP for me!

Sadly, I lose my GP status in December 1868, while fighting this war. Drat. While I am doing swimmingly in Prestige, and decently in military, my lack of industry is becoming a bigger and bigger problem.

Lorenco Marques for me

Other than losing GP status, the war goes extremely well, and in July 1869 Lorenco Marques ((1) below) moves from Portugese to Danish ownership:

18697map.jpg

This turns out to be a particularly yummy treat, as
(a) the Portugese had kindly put in Level 3 railroads there
(b) it has another naval base
(c) it makes a very good income - here' my ledger, and you will see that the 3 'green' provinces, which represent Lorenco Marques, are 3 of my 10 most profitable provinces:

18697production.jpg

Also, the 'gold' provinces are the other African ones - you can see what a positive impact they're having. (Except for St. Thomas - whoops!)

The last unexpected benefit is that there is a chunk of Africa (I think this is around Zambia) which Lorenco Marques 'unlocks' - I can colonize it without even waiting for machine guns:

18697targets.jpg

Today's whine - population

Thinking about it a little - why aren't my danish provinces far more profitable than my african ones? The main problem seems to be population - while I have every POP-increasing technology there is, many are emigrating, mostly to my colonies/states, but it's still a big problem - here are the details for the province with Copenhagen:

18708emigration.jpg

This is also why my Industry is lagging so far - not enough people to work there (and I found in an earlier games that you basically can't get Farmers to become Craftsmen until the RGO fills up). Oh well, not much I can really do about it, but it is making me think that the 'Scramble for Africa' will be more like 'the Inching into Africa'

Speaking of the Scramble for Africa

In August 1870, almost the earliest possible, I get....

18708machineguns.jpg

Machine Guns!

By the way, I have found my enjoyment of the game has gone up since I've adopted a house rule that whenever you discover 'machine gun' technology you have to play the YouTube video of 'Bikini girls with machine guns'. You're welcome :)

In addition to letting me watch this video :), and their obvious military advantages, Machine Guns (with the earlier techs I had already researched) let me unlock Africa - here we see the initial candidates:

18708colonies.jpg

Sadly, I only have one NF (same old story - not enough POPs), so this won't be quite the Oklahoma land rush I had hoped for, but it should still be nice!

I think this is a good place to stop - next post will probably be a 'state of the world', as we're now exactly 1/3 of the way through the game.

Last edited:
Towards the end of last session, I had decided to take a bit of a 'luxury' investment in Technology, going for 'State and Government', a level 3 Cultural tech which would let me switch to a consitutional monarchy, mainly because I like the Victoria2 political system, and actually understand it ;) - see my magnum opus on the subject.

Did you get much reform desire from the Liberal Revolution and Springtime of Nations events? As Prussia I was able to pass all bar one of the political reforms by 1849. It's nice that you can convert to HM Government via decision.

Also in 1862, I get a whopping 40 Prestige points from inventions unlocked by Empiricism - that RP-enhancing brance of the Culture tree is very, very nice!

I have a feeling that the prestige-boosting inventions should be moved elsewhere or at least made contingent on having researched another branch of the culture techs. At present, there's no reason not to beeline the philosophy techs and the extra prestige is just icing on an already-rich cake.

On the diplomatic quest, I spend this entire session engaged in a fruitless attempt to move Sweden into my SOI - every time I get near 50 influence, Russia knocks me down. Sigh.

I engage in the same game with the Netherlands, but with a slight twist. For some reason, France (my tug-of-war opponent for the Netherlands) takes it eye off the ball, and in 1868, after 20 years of effort, they briefly enter my SOI! Gives me hope for Sweden. It doesn't last that long, as we'll see below, but it's nice while it lasts.

The SoI game can be frustrating, but you can win it with patience. Has anyone SoI-ed Sweden yet? If not, the trick lies in attacking Russia's other spherees while slowly building up influence in Sweden. Keep Russia off balance until you get to 65 influence and then you can just ban them for a year and build up to 100 influence.

When you sphere a country you want to keep it's best to build influence back up to at least 65 so you can ban anyone else who gets too close. As they need 100 influence before they can do anything to you you should always win this race.

First, as part of the war maneuverings, both Sweden and France ask me for military access, which I grant - this will make it harder for them to DOW me in the future.

I'm not sure this is the case - at least directly. You'll get a relations boost for allowing access, but I don't think the access agreement itself has any special bearing beyond that.

Today's whine - population

Thinking about it a little - why aren't my danish provinces far more profitable than my african ones? The main problem seems to be population - while I have every POP-increasing technology there is, many are emigrating, mostly to my colonies/states, but it's still a big problem - here are the details for the province with Copenhagen:

18708emigration.jpg

This is also why my Industry is lagging so far - not enough people to work there (and I found in an earlier games that you basically can't get Farmers to become Craftsmen until the RGO fills up). Oh well, not much I can really do about it, but it is making me think that the 'Scramble for Africa' will be more like 'the Inching into Africa'

Like I said, healthcare reforms are about the only way you'll be able to do much with Denmark as things stand. Losing territory to Austria has only made that worse, but there's not much you can do about that now.

You could research business banks for the 'Commercial Retailers' event which cuts farm size by 20%. This will help fill up your RGOs faster and release POPs for industrialisation. However, it's a state-level event so you can't really control when and where it will fire.

Nice to see Madagascar under French rule, normally Russia takes it in my games.

Also, why do you want peace with Sweden? Scandinavia could grow to be quite the power.

Thanks for the inputs!

how did you solve the money problem?

It's the oddest thing - there was never any real technological change that caused this, but over about a 10 year span my income just grew significantly - maybe it's just the natural exponential growth left alone to do its thing? Also, being at peace makes a big difference.

Did you get much reform desire from the Liberal Revolution and Springtime of Nations events? As Prussia I was able to pass all bar one of the political reforms by 1849. It's nice that you can convert to HM Government via decision.

I got neither of those events :(. I haven't been able to do any reforms, support isn't above 25% for either type yet. The POPs are getting restless, too - support for 'trinket pensions' is at something like 23%.

I have a feeling that the prestige-boosting inventions should be moved elsewhere or at least made contingent on having researched another branch of the culture techs. At present, there's no reason not to beeline the philosophy techs and the extra prestige is just icing on an already-rich cake.

Yes, I'm sympathetic to Paradox here, though - in 1.1 these techs were losers, so maybe now they've over-reacted and made them too good.

The SoI game can be frustrating, but you can win it with patience. Has anyone SoI-ed Sweden yet? If not, the trick lies in attacking Russia's other spherees while slowly building up influence in Sweden. Keep Russia off balance until you get to 65 influence and then you can just ban them for a year and build up to 100 influence.

excellent suggestion, I had thought that by putting all my eggs in the Swedish basket I would be able to out-influence Russia, but I think you're right, a "broad front offensive" is a better way to go. Of course first I have to become a GP again :(.

[re military access deterring DOWs]
I'm not sure this is the case - at least directly. You'll get a relations boost for allowing access, but I don't think the access agreement itself has any special bearing beyond that.

don't they have to spend a diplomat breaking the access before they DOW you, hence giving you warning? Or am I getting mixed up with EU3?

Like I said, healthcare reforms are about the only way you'll be able to do much with Denmark as things stand. Losing territory to Austria has only made that worse, but there's not much you can do about that now.

You could research business banks for the 'Commercial Retailers' event which cuts farm size by 20%. This will help fill up your RGOs faster and release POPs for industrialisation. However, it's a state-level event so you can't really control when and where it will fire.

Yes, I'd do healthcare reforms if I could only get the parties to go along with it :(. Thanks for the 'Commercial retailers' pointer!

really? In my first two games it went French each time.

Also, why do you want peace with Sweden? Scandinavia could grow to be quite the power.

Yes, I would love to form Scandinavia, but I'm far too weak to attack Sweden militarily, and also they are allied with Russia - it seems like influence to SOI is the way to go.

As far as i know France has a event for Madagascar that puts it under French rule, not sure about what its called or whats needed to fire tough. (only saw it once fire)

Poor US... Great you managed to get something from Portugal! So... when are you DoWing Austria? :D

Why would he DoW Austria? Just because they wanted a northern beach? Why would he be so vindictive about that? :D

Why would he DoW Austria? Just because they wanted a northern beach? Why would he be so vindictive about that? :D
Because it's a Danish Beach :)

Yours is Yellow and Black at this stage...

Hmm... true, well... then that beach counts as a permanent loan, to prevent further mishappenings with Danish ships and Austrian ship cannons i guess. :p

Chapter 5: the world in 1870

Chapter 5: the world in 1870

It's 1/3 of the way through the game, seems a good time to take a moment to go over the status of the world.

Here's the world map:

18708world.jpg

(1) the USA, in sad shape
(2) in Europe, nothing has changed, really, except for an outrageous assault on Denmark that shall not be forgotten!!
(3) France has expanded into Hedjaz and Madagascar. Otherwise all quiet in Africa, except for the glorious Danish victories that shall not be forgotten!!
(4) This could be big - Russia has marched down through Afghanistan and Kalat, and is just one little unciv away from a port on the Indian ocean!

The rat race

18708rankings.jpg

Denmark is in 9th place, just behind the Netherlands, just ahead of Sardinia-Piedmont. Not much else to say, really :)

Denmark: the populace

Taking a look at the POP screen, and the top header:

18708pops.jpg

(1) population has quadrupled, to just over 2 million. Nearly half of that is colonial, but still overall a nice gain.

(2) notice no glowing green hammer (capitalists have refused to build anything so far, including even railroads!), and no glowing red craftsmen :(

(3) #5 in prestige (yay), #11 in military (good) ... #23 in Industry (boo) :(

(4) RP have almost tripled since game start - literacy percentages have gone down due all the colonial expansion.

(5) The political decision available is 'valley of the kings', which I did once and cost me a little infamy in return for ... losing a little prestige. Seems a booby prize.

(6) Stuck at 1 NF, but the good news is the militancy could hardly be lower!

The Political Situation

18706politics.jpg

(1) a whopping 20% of the upper house is Socialist, much greater than it's popularity in the population at large. Odd, that the upper class should be the ones that are disproportionally Socialist!

(2) Outlawing slavery has been the only reform so far, and that via event - the upper house has never come near to allowing anything else :(

(3) Trinket pensions are getting quite popular

(4) The previously discussed 'valley of the kings'

"outrageous assault" and two exclamation marks...

I wouldnt have thought the Danes get so mad when they loose a small part of their vast ammount of beaches. :D

Here's the world map:

18708world.jpg

Actually, your US doesn't look all that bad - all its provinces are contiguous and there's no Russian America visible. My current Germany game has a much more battered looking US which has lost New England to independence and New York to the British. Even I (reluctantly) went to war with them when my Russian allies decided to reconquer Alaska.

(5) The political decision available is 'valley of the kings', which I did once and cost me a little infamy in return for ... losing a little prestige. Seems a booby prize.

I seem to remember this was pretty good in 1.1. I never beeline Nationalism and Imperialism, so generally its not an option by the time I get it, but I think it gives you a slight constant prestige boost (0.01 per month) and the chance of discovering Tutankhamen's tomb for a big one-off gain.

(1) a whopping 20% of the upper house is Socialist, much greater than it's popularity in the population at large. Odd, that the upper class should be the ones that are disproportionally Socialist!

Yep, the ever-present oddity of socialist capitalists. I'd have thought if they wanted better pay and conditions for workers they could just do that themselves. In a way it makes sense though - you do sometimes hear businesses calling for mandatory regulations because then it's a level playing field.

Are there any soft targets in Europe that you could use to increase your population/industry?