• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, I dont look down on people for cheating in a single player game, but it's not exactly bragging material either...

If this is considered cheating, all mods must be considered cheating as well. He is just modifying the game to better suit his preferences, like any modder does.
Reloading until you succeed in an assassination attempt? Yeah, that's probably cheating, but this? No sir, not in my book.

Cheers

If this is considered cheating, all mods must be considered cheating as well. He is just modifying the game to better suit his preferences, like any modder does.
Reloading until you succeed in an assassination attempt? Yeah, that's probably cheating, but this? No sir, not in my book.

Cheers

Thank you theleif I'm glad someone sees it as a mod and not a cheat. You are absolutely right about that reload cheat for assassinations and the old cheat of using your lowborn court members to get high stat councilors in matrilineal marriages. ;_) I eventually settled on 13.98% and it's working out nicely now.

Hopefully the addition of females to chancellor, steward and spymaster will help the AI as well since its been pitiful getting good males in those slots.

As I said I'm happy with it. Of course there will always be malcontents with anything you do if they have a chance to be. lol

Feel free to mod the game to your heart's content. I've added kingdoms all over, allowed female councilors in all positions, and created new holy orders. If you want to create the "every one has a claim on everyone" situation that we had in mid-game CK1, be my guest. Not my cup of tea, but most of all HAVE FUN! That's the whole point, ain't it?

I still don't understand the mechanic properly. I'm playing as England, and one of my vassals had three count titles in England and a claim on the duchy of Brittany. So I thought "That's great, I'll gain a nice big duke vassal by pressing his claim". Well...I won the war quite easily, and after enforcing my demands in the peace treaty, that claimant became independent, taking his three counties with him! I reloaded a save from before the war.

My best guess is he started war, which means as far as the game is concerned the victory was all his, even if you did almost all the actual fighting.

Because if you were the one who'd hit the declare war button he'd be your vassal.

Nick

Question:
How is it possible to cheat in a single-player game?

I'll grant you that too much gamey cheesiness can make a game un-fun, but in that case the only person you're actually cheating is yourself.

But this is not really that kind of cheat. He's making the game move faster, which will probably benefit his country because he's probably better equipped to deal with it then the AI, but it's also possible that it'll get him wiped out in year three when the Holy Roman Emperor notices he exists and forges a claim on his single county before he's got the troops to enforce the claim he forged on his neighbor.

I'm not gonna add it to my game, because it's extremely ahistorical to have lots of claims floating around in 1070. Medieval countries were a lot more static then most people (even those relatively knowledgeable about history) realize, and events like the Norman Conquest were pretty much unique. The Count of Toulouse finding a document proving he really owned the Dauphinate is something that should probably be impossible within the game mechanics, so making it more likely is obviously not something I'm gonna enjoy.

But if this guy wants to play an ahistorical game, which is much riskier for him when he's small, I'm not gonna call him a cheater. A philistine with no appreciation for history maybe, specially if he insists Paradox include his mod in the next patch, but cheater no.

Nick

I wish when I played the game I could modify the file to look like the original post.

I don't know you but sometimes "expanding" by marrying is looooong and tedious.

You marry, you accelerate time, have a son, accelerate time, wait for "you" to be death,
accelerate time if your son is not 16 years old, get married, acelerate time, wait for him to have a son,
accelerate time...

Yes, you can invite to court, and press claims, but sometimes it's kinda tricky when the claim
will actually be part of your dominion...

In the between, what do you guys do?, I played as Duke of Lombardia and was
awfully slow and kind of... "errr... now what?, oh yeah, a coffee").

The nightmare (and unfortunately, this edit is useless in that moment) is when
the HRE turns up the royal power or whatever is called so you can't fight wars.

=/

You get NOTHING for helping them get a Kings crown.

Actually, helping people get crowns can be used to balkanize countries that are in the process of blobbing. Such as the Jimena dynasty in Iberia. They get dangerous pretty quickly if they don't get crushed or carved up.
Also, if you press the claim of someone who's heir happens to be your heir, pressing kingdom title claims suddenly becomes a lot more... lucrative. (Read: I'm going to inherit spain.)

My best guess is he started war, which means as far as the game is concerned the victory was all his, even if you did almost all the actual fighting.

Because if you were the one who'd hit the declare war button he'd be your vassal.

Nick

It was me declaring the war, that's why I was so surprised by the result!

I'm fairly sure you can take a courtier and use a matrlineal marriage before you give him a title. Then his child will take the kingdom. Depending on the succession laws the child's heir may be you. Imagine how sad you would feel if your nephew/grandson/etc died and left you his kingdom..... So sad.

Calm down guy. It's modifying the game to suit him and have fun. What a sourpuss.

I am calm. I just think its silly to come to the forums braggin about making the game easier for yourself. Share it on the mod forums if you are editing the files to give you an easier time. I'd rather see constructive discussion about how to make the game more difficult because as of right now, its pretty damn easy.

Forging claims is a brute force method by design. It is not meant to be your primary tool to expand your dynasties holdings. The fact that a 3 page thread has developed about a way to make it easier baffles me.

Cheers

Most mods don't single out one feature working as designed, and make it significantly easier. This is clearly cheating, as much as using the free gold console command is. Most mods aim to make the game more difficult and rewarding, not dumb it down.

I wish when I played the game I could modify the file to look like the original post.

I don't know you but sometimes "expanding" by marrying is looooong and tedious.

You marry, you accelerate time, have a son, accelerate time, wait for "you" to be death,
accelerate time if your son is not 16 years old, get married, acelerate time, wait for him to have a son,
accelerate time...

Yes, you can invite to court, and press claims, but sometimes it's kinda tricky when the claim
will actually be part of your dominion...

In the between, what do you guys do?, I played as Duke of Lombardia and was
awfully slow and kind of... "errr... now what?, oh yeah, a coffee").

The nightmare (and unfortunately, this edit is useless in that moment) is when
the HRE turns up the royal power or whatever is called so you can't fight wars.

=/

The trick to this game, and the funnest part in my opinion, is to be doing all of these things at the same time.

I play on speed 4. I let message pop ups pause the game, and then un-pause afterwards. I never feel the need to increase the speed of the game to max. I'm currently playing as the von Habsburgs, and in one generation, I've gained a dukedom (by managing my liege relations), forged one claim and pressed it, pressed a claim of a vassal's, and married my second son to woman with a claim on a neighbouring county. As I sit right now I have quadrupled my starting position, and I'm set to double what I have now once my grandson inherits another duchy his mother is already the duchess of.

You can't always do everything in one generation. This game is played over the course of 400+ years. Delayed gratification is a key component to enjoying CK II.

Delayed gratification is a key component to enjoying CK II.

Ahhh but what gratifies one does not necessarily gratify the other. This isn't your typical "strategy" game by a long shot. I also don't play it as one as much as a SIMSlike or The Guild 2like game. For me the gratification and satisfaction is playing the EVENTFUL dynasty and diplomacy game and making everything happen faster and more often is MYii FUN and Gratification to enjoying CKII. I certainly don't want to just look at the screen and watch my technology increase and the occassional so-n-so did this make a choice popups. I want LOTS of WARS and revolts (not quite like that one i had in Savo though with one right after the other ended lol that was a bit too much) and to be generally able to be doing something every minute of play. What I have modded into the game is giving me that and there's lots of action on the map now that I can involve myself in. ;_)

I found something that I wasn't even looking for and it just made my game MORE enjoyable and gratifying and FUN (for me of course). I came to tell about it because I thought there were others out there (LIKE MEEEEEE) who would enjoy KNOWING about it and there are. ;)

I fully expected the malcontents and of couse Allthat4nothing to make comments as that's the norm on this forum really, cutting down everyone else's ideas and putting them down for playing a certain way and of course the BIG ONE telling them HOW they should play lol......isn't it death&d3cay? ;)

Wait, I still don't get the problem with fabricating claims. It takes like a decade, costs a fortune, and still usually only gets a county.

I fully expected the malcontents and of couse Allthat4nothing to make comments as that's the norm on this forum really, cutting down everyone else's ideas and putting them down for playing a certain way and of course the BIG ONE telling them HOW they should play lol......isn't it death&d3cay? ;)

When you post about your playstyle on the forums, you open it up to critique from the forum community. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.