META THREAD: Warlock Wishlist - Post ALL your Suggestions here...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Building tree. An overview image of build-able standard buildings/race. If not in game just a pdf you can print out.
2. Keybindings at least a next unit key button.
3. Summary screens. Mainly city list but a unit list would also be nice.
4. Unit swap positions.

Criticisms I've heard of the game include:

1. Alternate worlds are so hard to conquer that by the time you can do it, you might as well just destroy the other players. Reduce the difficulty of invading and/or increase the rewards from doing so (perhaps unique terrain types only the alternate worlds have that provide super-units?)
2. The magic is a bit weak for a game about wizards. You feel like you're playing Civ 5 and maybe doing a bit of conjuring on the side.
3. World-changing magic is pretty much absent. I want to see spells that affect the entire world. One suggestion I heard was a spell that destroyed the main game world, leaving you only the alternate worlds to fight over. Now THAT'S magic.

I'd love to see modding and multiplayer - the community could have some of these issues cleared up in hours with even basic modding support (EG: Changing the stats on spells)

1. Victory conditions -- ( this should be added as soon as possible, a must for such a game!!! )
2. Hotkeys, hotkeys, hotkeys -- ( dont know who made the interface and forgotten to add enough hotkeys, a major fault! )
3. Give us the programms to unpack the files so the community can make mods, this will enhance the game in a very short time.
4. Add a possibility to use the water hexes for city improvement, maybe fishing boats or something like this.
5. Fix the ability to destroy buildings -- ( a very nasty bug )

More categories for spells. Direct damage, unit buffs, unit debuffs, city spells, global spells for example.
A written message flashing up telling you what spell you have just researched.
Numbers on the path of moving units telling you how many turns it takes to get somewhere.

* Another vote for optional mouse button change please.
So after having a unit selected, right would move/attack, left somewhere would just deselect.

* Option to just disable diplomacy altogether (obviously improved would be good too).

* Perhaps have an enhancements display where you could dispel from there rather than have to track down each unit.

hot keys - lots of hot keys
More perks / starting spells, especially low valued ones - and maybe a game option to start with more points. Perks to start with an extra minor unit.
More races
Spell colleges
Less lava and mountains - everywhere looks bad to settle when most hexes are lava mountain or lake.
Not start at the edge of the world by a lake. I started two games both time I was on the Southern edge of the world beside a lake. The first time my city expanded I only got about 4 extra usable hexes.
Buildings for lakes - mer-people resource, fishing fleet (requires fishing village)
Centre on unit / city when selected by notification / hotkey - instead only if completely off screen.
Better order to notifications - so unit built comes before unit idle (means it is in the city you built it in when you click it and can easily order a new unit). War first - not after you have moved everything.
Option to turn off the research complete voice.

Select and do on different mouse buttons - so you don't move a unit have 1/2 a mp left and "select" a city only to find you have instead ordered the previous unit to move.

Research times are too short compared to casting rate - the result is most spells researched are never cast. Would need to alter the requirements for unity spell so that it appears before the end. Would also make research points more valuable.
A way to remove unwanted spells from the research list - especially if you increase research time.
Cantrips - quick spells that do very little. Useful for casting after something else, to use up the 0.2 time, or to finish off a monster on its last hit point. Lesser healing nearly falls into this category.

More spells - enough so you can't see them all in one or two games.

I wish most for AI improvements:
- AI is terrible at war, it seems to only attack cities withing 3 hexes of its borders
- AI never upgrades past Training Grounds units and basic healers/mages
- AI builds way too many low tier units (with above, when I attack at the end of the game, I fight 30 veterans against a gold dragon)
- AI overvalues low tier units (it tries extremely hard to save summoned rats!)
- AI makes ridiculous demands and goes to war (and then fails to attack unless directly adjacent)

I wish that Developers will continue the support of this game with patches, addons and such!

I suggest that Developers will play other 4x games, and incorporate best parts from them in this game!

Most of mine have been mentioned but i'll say them again for emphasis:

Victory Conditions setting. Unity spell win might make sense for keeping multiplayer game length reasonable but it ruins single player.

Right click option setting for movement/attacking

Units able to trade spots with each other if both have movement points for it. Let rival ships/units not at war pass through each other.

Climate setting for main world map. Frozen, Volcanic, Tropical, Balanced, etc.

More Steam features like Achievements and Cloud Save option.

I'd really like it if when I click on the Idle Unit icon, the screen centers on that unit. I've noticed that it only does this IF the unit is currently off screen. If the unit is on screen, it doesn't center. I find this to be a problem because sometimes the selected unit is covered by a menu/popup screen or is at the edge of the screen and then I have to look for the path markers to find out where the unit is.

I know (now) you can click on the unit portrait, and yes, that does work and it helps some. I'd just rather have the Idle unit centered on screen each time I click on the Idle Unit icon...one less click (OK, so I'm lazy :p)

p.s. This was posted this in a separate thread before this one got stickyed. Thought I add it here as well…

1. Vsync!
2. Water tile structures? (Near-shore fishing boats, Pearl Divers, Crab fishery, Amber fishery... etc.)
3. Spell research in a tree structure. Not Random?
4. Custom names for units... lets say 3-4 at max? Let us have the 'Hero feeling' My OP Pirate Ratmen with 40 melee want to be named ;D
5. Unit move+shoot range indicator on the map. With toggle option on some hotkey most probably.
6. Some sane AI. They tend to raise stupid demands while having only 1 city surrounded by enemy(me, usually) and the only response to refuse, is declare war.
7. Better diplomacy, AI is trampling my cities while we have peace, but reduces my relations with them when I go explore their territory?? Possibility to refuse demands without starting a war would be nice too.
8. Remember the Master of Magic, mana+power system? Something similar, so we can increase the spellcasting frequency a bit. (Single +100% enchantement does not cut it). Maybe some buildings with +% casting speed?
9. More spells. Some reasonable summons, those that are availaible are much weaker than second tier city units.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Just finished my first game on normal and here are my thoughts on what i'd like to see added/changed.

1) I find a lot of what I view as important information not being communicated effectively or at all with the player. What I mean by this is when you research unit or city blessings/buffs the tooltip tells you how much the spell cast costs and how long it will take to cast but it does not cover upkeep costs, whether it stacks with similar buffs or will overwrite the existing buff. As a result I found myself playing terribly inefficiently. I had almost 10k mana banked (without even trying to econ for mana) and almost none of my units/cities properly buffed. It certainly didnt prevent my ability to win but it left me feeling like I wasnt playing properly.

2) Teleporting... I would like to see this change not in how it works but in how the game communicates what stage you are on. Are you selecting the unit to teleport? Are you selecting the tile to port to, is this tile unavailable to be teleported to? In my head it should basically function like "click the spell icon, select the unit to teleport, then select the tile, while giving you a different cursor for every stage of the teleport. I know part of this is just the learning curve of the systems in place but the game seems heavily focused on having a smaller-ish army thats heavily upgraded than a large army of rubbish units that dont do much of anything its incredibly important to be able to move your units swiftly around your kingdom to handle quests, threats or simply to allow you to faster position your troops for a push.

2b) Mass teleport. Simply put give me a mass teleport that selects the same size tile set as firestorm or Armageddon. With no roads, and harsh pathing for units its often really hard to move your army in bulk from a portal plane back to the front lines.

3) Im not sure how the AI works exactly but it would be nice to be able to deny an enemy demand without straight triggering war.

4) Start locations/Capital city health. Its seems strange to me that on an XL map tileset with only 5 rival mages I would start with a enemy capital 6 tiles from my own but what I found to my shock and dismay is that all capitals start with 250hp. I would much prefer to have that health be like every other city if your going to have the RMG allow such close positions.

5) City fortifications. I find it frustrating that I can take an enemy city but cannot fortify it or actively participate (without spell casting) in its rebuilding even still by even early game standards the spells used to rebuild cities are awfully weak and have no impact on mid-late game war.

5b) I would love to see the ability to fortify cities with use of city walls/fortresses as well as making the "forts" buildings able to be improvements on existing buildings allowing you to not have to sacrifice city effectiveness for being able to defend against the "monster" faction. Its fine if you want to make the cost of upkeep steep but im often finding it difficult to give my cities enough room to grow properly without having to worry about tiles used for defenses.

6) Victory conditions. This has already been covered many times but please give me an option to remove the victory through unity spell. It wasnt a problem in the last game I played but at turn 180 (the turn my game ended on) I couldnt shake the feeling that at any moment I would see a game over screen in spite of my total domination of the other players.

7)Building/upgrade pre-requisites. I cant tell you the number of times that I sat staring at my screen trying to figure out what I was missing in order to allow x upgraded unit or y structure. Im not sure exaclty how to encourage you to handle this problem but I definitely feel that its not adequate in its current form.

8) Temple quests and temple units. It would be nice if temple quests would only "pop" when youre in control of a holy ground and or able to build the appropriate temple. Additionally I would like the game to NOT be able to prompt you to build a temple you have already built. It would also be great if the tooltip for the unit unlocked with the temples tooltip would show which unit it upgrades. Some are very obvious but others are not.

9) Unit/city conversions. I would really like to see the player able to convert a cities and units from one race to another (albeit for cost). I found it very frustrating to be using the same basic units but with no idea how to upgrade them via buildings. This partly is a problem of player learning curve but its also a problem for people who simply dont wish to use undead/monster/goblin cities.

10) I dont feel like the tooltip for the perk pathfinding to properly explain what it does.

11) Custom color set. I would love to be able to select both the primary and secondary colors of my race.

12) Unlockables. I would really love to see the game unlock both additional perks, mage portraits, and additional points to spend as you play. Perhaps not so much that you double or tripple the number of perk pts you recieve but getting up to 12 or 15 would be really nice.

13) Regenerate map option. I tend to be the kind of player who will restart a game again and again till I like the starting location. It would be really nice to have a regenerate map button available at the start of each map allowing you to use the same settings but to create a new map.

14) Coastal cities. In civ5 your coastal cities quickly become some of the most profitable after some initial investment. It would be nice to see there being someoceanic options for cities allowing you to be able to control land choke points with cities but not having those same cities be absolutely worthless outside controlling land movement.

15) Open borders. I would like to see this option for diplomacy and force any non-at-war players to respect your borders unless they are willing to declare war or gain permission from the player.

16)Consolidate the water walking, and levitate buff into one and allow that to also let levitating units attack flying units. Stubborn Knight Dragon Slayers HOOOooo!!!

17)Stubborn Knights upgrade? Every other unique unity building can upgrade their units but you cant upgrade the stubborn knights. Kinda a bummer since im so attached to "CHeee-Arhge!"

18)Secondary/Tertiary uses for resource nodes. Most resources already have a secondary use but It would be great if each had a resource/upgrade/unit upgrade available from them. So in cases where you already have the unit creation option, and the upgrade available you can still gain benefit from controlling them rather than them being a resource drain for having backup structures.

19) Im not sure if you can intentionally destroy your own buildings to make space but if you cant you should be able to and if you can the interface should explain it more clearly.

20) Madatory damage. While its not often a big problem its very frustrating that when engaging in combat units take a mandatory 1hp loss (excluding range). Its strange to me that my full hp Paladins of Duros at over 100 attack damage take a hp of damage from a non-upgraded set of basic bats that have 1 hp. The regeneration options for this are mostly good enough to make this a non-issue but often ill find my first couple unit through the portal taking excessive damage simply due to that mandatory hp loss when engaging in melee combat.

21) Fortify command. I understand the desire to have the pacing of the game be fast and furious (which I enjoy) but even at this pacing there are sometimes that a fortify command would be exceptionally welcome.

22) Fix whatever causes your mini-map to go black after alt tabbing.

Im sure some will disagree with my personal wish list but I love the game, and I cant wait to watch it continue to develop. Its great now and I can only imagine it getting better and better with time.

Hi all!
In my game, normal level, when an opponent is at war with me and has only one town, he offers only "peace" EVERY turn. It would be more interesting if he offered gold, mana or spell.
Of course also a "Warlockopedia" in game or some other short-cut info (eg: right-click on the ground hex) would be great.
With a few tweaks, Warlock will become truly a masterpiece!

• Make the other worlds more different from each other in terms of monsters and resources that you can encounter there.
  • Make the game remember the starting settings, so when I start again, the settings from last game are used (including customized wizard).

My own wishlist after finishing my first (very long) game, in no particular order:

1) BETTER MAGIC! The game is called Warlock: Master of the Arcane, but a better name would be Warlord: Master of the Armies. Magic needs to be more useful and more powerful.
2) Ability to right-click inspect buildings the same way you can inspect units (on the map and the build screen).
3) Ability to build upgrades inside the cities themselves, like walls (more HP) or ballistas (stronger city attacks).
4) Ingame tech trees for buildings, units and magic (or as a printable PDF).
5) Better AI all-round. AI seems to build random buildings, doesn't build high-tier units, doesn't properly prioritise targets, isn't aggressive enough when at war and wastes his time when at peace.
6) Better diplomacy. Or at least keep the AI from making the exact same request every turn 10+ turns in a row.
7) Some way to improve infrastructure between cities, like building roads.
8) A label under unit/building names saying who it belongs to (either wizard name or Neutral/Monster faction) when hovering the mouse over it. I am partially color blind and sometimes it is very hard for me to see what faction a city belongs to just by looking at the colored border.
9) An overview screen displaying all your cities, their production values, and what units they can produce. It's currently a bit of a pain to manage your kingdom if you have lots of cities.
10) And overview screen of all active spells, both your own and your enemy's.
11) An option to set the amount of Neutral cities when starting a new game, or even disable them completely.
12) Some way to use water hexes. Currently coastal cities are worth a lot less than land-locked ones because there's no way to use water tiles in any way.
13) Some kind of penalty for having too many cities. The game currently forces you to keep building more and more new cities, because every new city only brings advantages. This makes games on a big map very tedious.
14) More variation in unit upgrades. A lot of units currently share the same or very similar level-up bonuses. It doesn't make sense to me that a Vampire gets the exact same upgrades as a Wizard.
15) Late game should be more about big armies and rival wizards fighting it out, less about endless monster spawns. It's annoying to be swarmed with weak monsters just because you found a spawn location that hadn't been destroyed yet, especially if they're flying monsters and you don't have a ranged unit nearby.
16) Units should have the choice to chase after a defeated or fleeing enemy or hold their location. I shouldn't be forced to leave the defense of my city in order to chase a fleeing enemy I don't care about.
17) Ranged units should be able to move into defeated cities after attacking, when they're in an adjecent hex. I've seen several times that a ranged unit defeats a city, then can't take the city because he can't move after attacking, and the next turn the city has been repaired a bit so you have to defeat it again, repeating many turns.
18) More character creation options. More mage portraits, more bonuses to pick (and also better balanced bonuses), and more playable races.
19) Ability to completely destroy buildings and cities.
20) Ability to migrate cities to a different race (destroying race-specific buildings in the process).

-Right click to move
-Right click on unit to delete a future move order
-Left click to select
-Left click on emtpy square to deselect
-Hotkeys displayed in the button descriptions

There could probably some alternative selection and movement options that players could choose from, especially if someone already got used to the current method and does not want to change.

Edit:
-Add a ring around the color selection to show the actual color that you will have. The flags aren't that helpful at least to me
-A button that fast forwards through all remaining AI moves

Last edited:
Behind the scenes numbers being VISIBLE.

For example, I know my unit can travel 5, but I do not know how much of that is used up for swamp/forest/hill/plain/lava/city/etc. until I go through. A listing of all these type of "behind the scenes" numbers would be awesome, and from all aspects, not just tile movement.

Also, I would suggest the old standard left mouse button = select, right mouse button = action...it is kind of weird the way it is, it seems left or middle are both select and action, and the only way to deselect is by selecting someone else.

Oh yeah, and giving me 1,000,000 gold for all of those idiots who keep demanding money (the last one was a joke, sort of).

Status
Not open for further replies.