• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have consistently supported both such reforms, and hope that my fellow Chileans see that they we should always seek to expand freedom and rights to our people.

Romano 1854-1855: War At Home, War Abroad​

1854 was very much a year of wars. In Chile, it was a civil war that dominated the news. Anywhere else, it was the series of earth-shattering wars that began and ended in that fateful annum. The Second Chilean Civil War lasted less than two months, as all government forces and civil authorities quickly lined up behind Romano and the conservative administration, much the surprise of some observers. The only question-mark was Minister of Interior Ana Alvarez, who was on vacation at the time and unavailable for comment.

The uprising in Potosi failed miserably. Reactionaries who had hoped to dislodge the army from Northern Chile, despite being far numerically superior, tenatively surrounded the Army of the North's positions and charged recklessly at them. Their leaders promised them victory and glory and the head of Santandera, claiming the army of the north would shortly rise up against Santandera and defect to their cause; in practice this never happened. After nine days of slaughter on Santandera's lines, the rear guard under Alvarez surrounded the reactionary forces, who surrendered that very evening.

The fight for Santiago was not so decisive. With virtually no soldiers to defend the city, Romano ordered Carrera to open the armory and defend the city with a roughly armed and disorganized militia for as long as they could, with the Congreso and the high officers of government still trapped inside the city. After more than a month of siege, Romano's gambit paid off as generals Roseno and Carrow arrived from the south and attacked the reactionaries; the siege of Santiago was broken on March 30, 1854. The Reactionaries formally surrendered the following day, and April of that year was a time of bloody purges as suspected reactionary sympathizers were hauled off in the name of military justice.

While brutal, the military's methods paid off, as Minister Ana Alvarez (returned from his vacation) informed the President that no organized reactionary resistance remained in Chile the following month.

Chile's war was not the only one that year, and it was very, very far from the largest. On April 7, 1854, France declared war on England, sparking one of the largest wars in world history. Germany, seeing the chance with England distracted, declared war on the Netherlands a week later with the goal of taking the Friesland. The resultant disruption to the world economy sent Chile spiraling further into debt.

Fortunately, there was a reversal of fate on July 28, 1854. On that day, Minister of State Gale, working in cooperation with the other ministers, was able to secure a contract for the import of steam engines from abroad, the culmination of years of work. This new machine was adopted almost immediately and Chilean agricultural and mining production exploded overnight. By August, de Vasces was able to inform President Romano that the treasury was drawing a large surplus. Rather than recruit brigades, Romano decided to use the extra funds to lower the exorbitant tariffs.

Just as 1854 was a defeat for the reactionaries on the battlefield, it was a defeat for the Liberals in the Congreso. With two competing proposals, one for expanded press freedom and other for a large electorate, the Liberales had hoped to pass at least one. However, between infighting between factors, disagreement about the benefits of either plan, and the President's opposition to both, the two bills were buried in committee.

1855 passed without incident, the NGF seizing Friesland from the Netherlands, England signing a White Peace treaty with China, and Russia seizing the Shushu region from Japan. England and France, however, remained at war. Romano ended his turn with this news story hanging over his departure from office. One of his last acts as President was to sign an alliance with Venezuela, arguing that they would be both powerful and helpful allies.

As he left office, Romano received a report saying that Chile had reached over 4.2 million people in population, but that 14 brigades remained in reserve and unraised.

News From Around The World:
April 7, 1854 - Jacobins enforce in the Netherlands
May 2, 1854 - Valley of the Kings in France
May 18, 1854 - Chilean-Venezulean Alliance
July 4, 1854 - Russia takes Shumshu
March 25, 1855 - NGF takes Friesland
June 1, 1855 - The Lambert Charter in France
November 12, 1855 - England White Peace with China

-------------------------

It's nomination time again so I need two things from you:

Nominees declare yourselves. Remember to name your respective parties. Those parties are: the Liberales, Conservadores, Nacionales, and Tradicionales. ((I realized we didn't really decide on the name very well for the Tracionales, but I think it's better than anything to do with a real militia group.))

Also, you can nominate another reform again, since we still have the necessary number of liberals.

I declare my candidacy for the Partido Nacionale. I will explain my platform in more depth at a later time, but to put it simply, I am a moderate. I support laissez-faire capitalism and keeping the government out of the economy as much as possible ((Laissez-faire)), the preservation of Chilean character and promotion of the Christian Church ((Moralism)), embracing immigrants with open arms ((Full citizenship)), keeping the possibility of tariffs open ((Protectionism)), and strong support for the military ((Jingoism)). I am, however, willing to compromise on any of these points if it is necessary.

"Once again, the forces of personal gain, treachery and corruption have been put to the stalk! We, as Chileans, continue to stand united in the face of any and all adversaries that dare challenge Chile's place in the sun! You will not be ruled by greed my countrymen. Therefore, I hereby announce my candidacy for the Nacionales primary candidate. The Fatherland shall rise again!"

-General Cesar Roseno

((Platform will be posted tomorrow.))

I, Armando de Vasces, would like to announce my candidacy for the Conservatoires. I promise to have the invisible hand of the government steer the economy in the most profitable directions, but without damaging amounts of direct interference. ((Interventionism)) At the same time, I will prevent foreign companies from dominating Chilean trade, allowing personal initiative of the Chilean people to power our industry. ((Protectionism)) As a former fighter in the independence struggle I recognize the need for a strong military, although I believe only a fool seeks out war. ((Pro-military)) Our nation was founded on Christian principles, and it is truly what separates us from savages. ((Moralism)) Finally, I believe immigrants must not feel alienated in Chile, and thus a citizenship system must be created, although immigrants must still prove themselves loyal citizens. ((Limited Citizenship))

-Armando de Vasces

With El Jefe, who gave me the opportunity to gain experience in the government as Minister of Church and Culture, retiring from presidential politics I feel my obligation to the Nacionales has passed and I am free to move towards those whose views are in line with my own, the Tradicionales. Being the source of the original traditionalist platform; out of the ashes of disorganized nationalists, conservatives, and monarchists; I feel that, second to the partido's founder Rivera, I am uniquely qualified to be the Tradicionale candidate for the presidency.

I consider this a formality; once Rivera enters the race I will drop out and endorse his run. In the mean time I think it is important for Tradicionales to be on the national stage and discussing Chile's future.

My fellow Chileans! For too long politics have been plagued by ideological bickering. We have been under a president that has done everything in his power to stall the progress of our nation. The Tradicionales, Nacionales and Conservadores are all just varieties of the same color, a somewhat sound economic policy, combined with a disastrous reactionary view towards the Middle Classes. The Liberales again, seems to always fall on an unsound economic policy. That's why I ask the political parties of our great nation to nominate me: Karl Weissmüller as an Independent Candidate for the presidency.

I support Free Trade, since tariffs only halt progress.
I support Interventionism, since while the Capitalists should run the economy, the State has a role helping out where it can.
I support Pluralism, all religions have freedom to exist in Chile.
I support Full Citizenship, Chile must open her borders for Immigrants again, I don't understand how some people expect growth without immigration. We need to attract skilled workers from Europe to come here and help building our future.
I support Jingoism, the Chilean army must be ready to defend our borders.

Furthermore I promise that if I am elected president I would do everything in my power to emancipate the Middle Class. We should strive for giving them the right to vote. I would also invest heavily in education. Learning is the way forward.

Support a Weissmüller candidacy!
Support progress!

My friends and countrymen. I have decided that I must put myself forward for the Liberales party. WE must ensure there is a balance in politics in this country and I am the candidate who can and will deliver this. I am new to politics and untainted by the scandals of before and have the following as my core beliefs.

We MUST do more to promote free trade for this is the way to economic freedom. Hand in hand with this is a removal of Government from the economy. The market knows best how to run itself without intervention from us. I am a firm believer in free citizenship as we should encourage people to our country and reward them for working hard to make our country better. And i fully support the military although not at the cost of the economy.

Please, vote for me and a better Chile.

Senator Andonie

"Fellow Chileans!

Once again elections are upon us, however as the consitution demands then I cannot run for president again. I must say it has been long ten years, and I am glad that my administration despite war and civil war, and a shift in the global economy have managed to save the Chilean Democracy, improve the economy and we have laid the foundation for an even stronger military. We have made great progress and the work of the Conservadores and Nacionales has paid off. Unlike my predecessor I will resign from office once a new presidente has been elected, and who ever it will be, liberale, conservadores or nacionales, then my administration has managed to improve the situation for the coming administration. 20 years I have been in government and I have already experinced a coup and a civil war, and I am proud to still stand before the Congreso in a democracy. This will all go down in the history books and will be remembered for generations to come. As for myself I will continue to work for chilean progress from my seat as a senator, or a Minister if a future administration requires it. I'd like to thank -all- my ministers and generals for helping me to lead Chile through tough times and they have been the seed of my success. Thank you."

- President Romano

President Romano, while I disagree with a lot of your policies one can never question your integrity and desire to improve Chile. And for this I wish you the best.

((Dang, Santandera's getting old. 62 years now by my count. Guess it's time to start tinkering on a new character))

"I shall not be running for Presidential candidate for the Tradicionales, as I feel my age prevents me from fully executing the responsiblities of the office. I hope that either Rivera or a younger member of the party will be able to assume the role of Presidential candidate."

Eberado de Cary
Senator for Valparaiso

I, Jorge Gales, will run for the Conservadores nomination for President! We have done great work with this country over the last five years, now let us continue it!

((Let's see if I can't unite both aars and become undisputed president of Vic2 AARLand. :)

thunderhawk, since we're voting, would it make any difference if we had switched to weighted universal?))

Presidente Romano, it was an honor to serve as your Minister of War. Your administration will always be remembered as one of the greatest, especially following the ruinous policies of the Liberales. I will always retain a deep respect for you and the rest of the Conservadores, no matter what the future may bring. I myself fully support General Roseno and his nomination for the Nacionale primary.

((Dyranum: I'm right there with you at 66, curse the disease that is age. We need to introduce zombies into this game :p

Welshdude: We can't just jump to weighted universal, game mechanics won't allow it.))

I will not actively run for Presidente; if my fellow Liberales, though, choose me, I will acquiesce. I fell that my station should be in the Mayoral mansion of Santiago, since its fine citizenry have begged me to run for a third term. I hope the Partido Liberal will continue to grow, and regain the Presidency, regardless of who the man is!

My platform, in detail:

Economic: I believe that capitalism and that allowing the free market to function as it was intended is the best plan for Chile. Thus, I support as little government involvement in the economy as possible. I will, however, follow President Romano's policy towards tariffs: if possible, we should avoid them, however if the budget is in dire straights, then I shall reserve the right to raise tariffs in an appropriate manner. ((Laissez-faire and Protectionism))

Social: The Chilean character and the role of the Christian church in every-day life should be preserved and promoted. Our culture, our way of life is what makes Chile the grand country it is, and therefore I support the protection of it by any means necessary. ((Moralism))

Immigration: Chile is a nation of immigrants. Some of our most prominent members are the sons or grandsons of European immigrants. While I support the preservation of the Chilean way of life, that is not to say I do not support adding to it; immigrants bring ideas, be they political, technological, or what have you, and these ideas can improve the Chilean character without drastically changing it. Thus, I welcome immigrants with open arms to our glorious republic. ((Full citizenship))

Military: I am a military man, myself, and let me tell you, we are always watching our borders with careful eyes, even down here in practically uninhabited Patagonia. South America is unstable; war is a common occurrence here, and no matter what doves tell you, it is only a matter of time until someone declares war against us, or until war is our only option. As such, our military must be as strong and alert as possible at all times, so that we are not taken by surprise when the time comes. ((Jingoism))

I pride myself on being a moderate however, and I am willing to adjust my policies if it is found to be necessary.

Vote Carrow for a strong, free Chile!