• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for all the work you some of you guys are doing trying to get HoI3 working under WINE - as a linux user i will definitely be looking to go down this route - game arrives tomorrow i hope so will give it a go

Doc

I managed to get it to work ! Here are some screenies, as you can see the EU3*border bug exist also inside HOI3. I tested all three OffscreenRenderingMode values :
- "backbuffer" has border issues
- "pbuffer" made the game to crash while loading «processing flag»
- "fbo" has border issues and is smoothlier than «backbuffer»

Sound is working, music also. The game speed match windows XP (without intensive playing).
I run ubuntu jaunty x64, wine 1.1.27 on a Athlon 4200+ with a radeon HD*4770.

Last edited:
Talking about linux. Will there be a port for Macs? Because if the port is correctly made, a linux version should not be much more complicated than a simple recompile. I guess the port to OpenGL is the toughest part. I cannot tell how much i would love to see a port to linux. I never got anti-aliasing to work for directx games with wine, and it also gets a performance hit. I am sad to see that most games ported to linux are FPS/action. I keep a copy of 7 just to play PI games. :)

I managed to get it to work ! Here are some screenies, as you can see the EU3*border bug exist also inside HOI3. I tested all three OffscreenRenderingMode values :
- "backbuffer" has border issues
- "pbuffer" made the game to crash while loading «processing flag»
- "fbo" has border issues and is smoothlier than «backbuffer»

Sound is working, music also. The game speed match windows XP (without intensive playing).
I run ubuntu jaunty x64, wine 1.1.27 on a Athlon 4200+ with a radeon HD*4770.

congrats - great news for us linux users

what exactly did you do in wine to get this to work :)

is there a howto somewhere that you can link too?

thanks

i have a new install of ubuntu and have been using winetricks to get Civ4BTS set up - maybe it will work without further tweaks - lets hope the postman is early tomorrow

doc

Finally, I can post here :O But still cannot create new threads.

Okay, I'm the guy currently maintaining HOI3 in the AppDB. As soon I may create threads here (my own HoI3 copy arrives mid of next week), I will create a thread similar to the EU3 one. If someone else feels like he could do this faster, feel free to do so. BTW: Maintaining HoI3 in the AppDB is volunteer work, so everyone may become app maintainer and help this great game to finally reach platinum state. :)

Cheers,
Daniel

EDIT: Doctoxic, link would be http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17439
There is a HOWTO just before the comments start...

Talking about linux. Will there be a port for Macs?
Paradox does not port its internally developed games to any other platform than the PC. Presumably the projected market for for people who would buy Linux or Mac implementations and not buy a PC implementation is too small to make the considerable extra work and testing worth it, not to mention the extra hardware and skillset needed spread over the small team.

Any porting is done externally. I guess that Virtual Programming Ltd is in charge of the mac ports or related to whomever might be - they certainly seem to be in charge of the publishing.

I think it's very unlikely there will be any port to Mac or Linux. If you start to make a game using .NET there is no easy way to change this back. You can't create a DirectX application and simply replace it by OpenGL. After all we should be glad there is WINE and Paradox seems to care to make it compatible.

EDIT: As there is a MAC port for EU3 I eat my words and claim the opposite.

Last edited:
I think it's very unlikely there will be any port to Mac or Linux. If you start to make a game using .NET there is no easy way to change this back. You can't create a DirectX application and simply replace it by OpenGL. After all we should be glad there is WINE and Paradox seems to care to make it compatible.

EDIT: As there is a MAC port for EU3 I eat my words and claim the opposite.

Well, i did not say it was easy. But if there is a mac port the bulk of the work is already done. For the .NET stuff, i think it is only for the launcher. Maybe mono could help here. I think the rest of HOI3 is just C++ and Lua, correct me if i am mistaken.

Otherwise of course i am glad it works under wine but that's far from being an ideal or easy solution.

deleted due to me doing a dumb thing when trying the linux install

Last edited:
Finally, I can post here :O But still cannot create new threads.

Okay, I'm the guy currently maintaining HOI3 in the AppDB. As soon I may create threads here (my own HoI3 copy arrives mid of next week), I will create a thread similar to the EU3 one. If someone else feels like he could do this faster, feel free to do so. BTW: Maintaining HoI3 in the AppDB is volunteer work, so everyone may become app maintainer and help this great game to finally reach platinum state. :)

Cheers,
Daniel

EDIT: Doctoxic, link would be http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17439
There is a HOWTO just before the comments start...

thanks for the link Irrlicht

doc

One point must be cleared : when installing dotnet and vcrun through winetricks, set the windows version to win2k beforehand (with regedit). It'll clear the missing manifest errors.

hi

how do you do this?
i know how to use regrdit and find keys etc - just don;t know where to look to do this

actually, thinking about it, can't you do this in winecfg as well?

thanks

doc

HI

When i try and install dotnet through winetricks i get this error:

sha1sum mismatch! Rename /home/doctoxic/.winetrickscache/dotnet20/dotnetfx.exe and try again.

but rename it to what, there is a file called that already? i think this is to do with me already having dotnet 1.1 installed?? I seem to remember trying to install dotnet2 for some other game and it wouldn't let me because 1.1 was already installed.

Doc