• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kitten mittens or are they ESRB unfriendly?

Kitten mittens or are they ESRB unfriendly?

Whatever happens, Paradox must pay Blue Emu to be a tester and do an awesome AAR where he builds a corridor of spikey death and where goblins are mutilated with extreme gore by their thousands.

Despite involving dwarves It seems to me more like a dungeon keeper than dwarf fortress, hopefully it will not be the disappointment that Dungeons was

Despite involving dwarves It seems to me more like a dungeon keeper than dwarf fortress, hopefully it will not be the disappointment that Dungeons was

A dungeon keeper type game would be awesome. Though if it were just Dwarf Fortress Light that could be cool too.

As a longtime Khazadophile, I'll be following this game.

Whatever happens, Paradox must pay Blue Emu to be a tester and do an awesome AAR where he builds a corridor of spikey death and where goblins are mutilated with extreme gore by their thousands.

I would be over-joyed to have a job with Paradox.

I would be over-joyed to have a job...

Looks like this is going to turn out to be an interesting game, regardless of where it's going to fall on the dungeon keeper or dwarf fortress scales. Another game where I need to keep track of developer's diaries and such I guess. Atleast Crusader Kings 2 is coming out soon enough :).

Well dungeon keeper doesn't have crafting... so I don't really see the similarities.

TheWesterFront on twitter said:
A lot of people are comparing newly announced "A Gamd of Dwarves" with Dwarf Fortress. It is not DF, more in the vein of Dungeon Keeper.

It's more of DK not an DF

I hope its like Dwarf Fortress, if it is and it has a useable UI I'll follow it until its released.

I didn't find the UI for Dwarf Fortress to be such a problem myself- I'm one of those people who actually read game manuals, back when games had manuals instead of explanatory pamphlets- plus there's a variety of graphical mods available. What I did find frustrating was that the game had a bad case of double standards when it came to certain design priorities.

For example, I can respect both the position that "direct control allows for greater finesse" versus "autonomous behaviour helps to make the world feel more alive", but the game requires a vast amount of tedious book-keeping with marginal or nonexistant benefits vs. canny automation in some areas (e.g, most of the economy,) but denies the player direct influence in areas where there's an overwhelming justification for it (e.g, recruitment and population control.)

Similarly, I can respect both the position that "attention to detail increase verisimilitude" versus "abstraction improves efficiency", but why does the game model every individual seed within every cloth bag inside every wooden barrel in the world, yet overlooks the fact that beds need sheets and tunnels need supports? Why does combat record sword-blades shearing through multiple tissue layers complete with bleeding and infection, but dwarves can go for weeks without water, food or sleep?

The other problem, I felt, was that the dwarves' ostensible personalities don't actually seem terribly relevant to gameplay. If you're doing your job right, all your dwarves will be too busy fulfilling your orders to do much on their own initiative, so there's little to distinguish Dwarf A from Dwarf B in terms of significant decisions and personal motives, regardless of what their informed attributes might be.

Anyways, I've rambled long enough on that front. By the looks of things, the developers are planning to cut down on the micromanagement substantially, which is encouraging, and they're also planning to keep dynamically generated maps, which is crucial to a sense of exploration and discovery. But there are other aspects of DF that are well worth preserving- the sense of connection to a larger world, the use of a detailed skill set without relying on classes and levels, the dolls-house pleasure of constructing and furnishing your underground lair- that I would hate to see thrown out.

Well dungeon keeper doesn't have crafting... so I don't really see the similarities.

Really? The tunneling out a fortress, mining valuable materials, building different rooms with different functions, cartoonish visual style and humorous fantasy setting, all like DK.

Anyways, I've rambled long enough on that front. By the looks of things, the developers are planning to cut down on the micromanagement substantially, which is encouraging, and they're also planning to keep dynamically generated maps, which is crucial to a sense of exploration and discovery. But there are other aspects of DF that are well worth preserving- the sense of connection to a larger world, the use of a detailed skill set without relying on classes and levels, the dolls-house pleasure of constructing and furnishing your underground lair- that I would hate to see thrown out.

Didn't want to quote the whole post, but that was a good summation of what they would be wise to learn from DF. I'd add the virtually infinite replayability and open sandbox style, as well as how it joyfully embraces community modification.

Really? The tunneling out a fortress, mining valuable materials, building different rooms with different functions, cartoonish visual style and humorous fantasy setting, all like DK.

Didn't want to quote the whole post, but that was a good summation of what they would be wise to learn from DF. I'd add the virtually infinite replayability and open sandbox style, as well as how it joyfully embraces community modification.

Read the above posts guys :) TheWesterFront posted on Twitter that it is NOT DF, but more in the vein of Dungeon Keeper.

Oh well - I know DK has loads of fans - but personally, that's my interest gone.
There is already a graphically superior DF anyway called "Towns".
Captnduck did a video on youtube for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hf7r5_zckg

Shame though. I'll wait on for "Salem" - that sounds more like my sort of game.
Or or course "Haven and Hearth" - now it's fixed and everyone can mine etc.

Scritty

Oh well - I know DK has loads of fans - but personally, that's my interest gone.
There is already a graphically superior DF anyway called "Towns".
Captnduck did a video on youtube for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hf7r5_zckg

Shame though. I'll wait on for "Salem" - that sounds more like my sort of game.
Or or course "Haven and Hearth" - now it's fixed and everyone can mine etc.

Scritty

thx looks good will check it out, any other recomendations for DF like games! i like sandbox administration/building games!