• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good day to you Lieutenant Colonel, I did not realize that the war took such a personal toll on you... Such is the great folly of war! May we all work and pray to see a day where man does naught but work with his fellow man.

Senator Howard I would like to invite you for a speaking tour throughout the mid-west with myself and several other prominent members of congress and state governance, these ideas of Vinogradism are dangerous to our way of life and we must to our all to let others know of the path that following them would lead to our devastation. All true thinking Americans are invited to attend...

Edward Wilkinson Governor of Indiana

Greetings Col. Quantrill. Thanks for your brave service in the war.

On the vinogradists, they are spreading a lot of radical european ideas that are not applicable to a free nation like ours. I don't think we need to take them too seriously at this point as I do not believe the American people would embrace these dangerous foreign ideas. But I welcome all speeches warning Americans about this dangerous ideology.

Last edited:

On the vinogradists, they are spreading a lot of radical european ideas that are not applicable to a free nation like ours. I don't think we need to take them too seriously at this point as I do not believe the American people would embrace these dangerous foreign ideas. But I welcome all speeches warning Americans about this dangerous ideology.

Will you be running again Mr. Williams?

Senator Howard I would like to invite you for a speaking tour throughout the mid-west with myself and several other prominent members of congress and state governance, these ideas of Vinogradism are dangerous to our way of life and we must to our all to let others know of the path that following them would lead to our devastation. All true thinking Americans are invited to attend...

I would be more than happy to attend, Senator Wilkinson. However I will not be able to attend every meeting. The mid-west is after all a long way from Boston.

Thomas Howard
Senator of Massachusetts
Defender of Equality and the freedom of choice

Good day to you Lieutenant Colonel, I did not realize that the war took such a personal toll on you... Such is the great folly of war! May we all work and pray to see a day where man does naught but work with his fellow man.

I would be honored to speak against Vindogradism with you and other great members of our countrys governence. Luckly for me unlike some others my age I was not contamitated in colledge by such lies.

Thank you Mr. President I agree completly, and if you need any help at all in the Reconstruction call on me sir. Also Mr. President, it was the rebel's military and goverment that caused this war not the people of the south themselves, and due to our soldiers many of the southerners now have stories much like mine. Ive tried to make peace with the demons of my past, but not every person tries so hard to frogive...

((I put in ideology Projekt))

Thank you Mr. President I agree completly, and if you need any help at all in the Reconstruction call on me sir. Also Mr. President, it was the rebel's military and goverment that caused this war not the people of the south themselves, and due to our soldiers many of the southerners now have stories much like mine. Ive tried to make peace with the demons of my past, but not every person tries so hard to frogive...

((I put in ideology Projekt))

May I remind you, Colonel, that the military was made up of people of the South and generally supported by the people of the South. A soldier is not the same as a cannon. He is a man, just as any other. The soldier puts his life on the line so that others will not need to, and as admirable as that is it does not change the fact that he is a person just like any other and is therefore responsible for the crimes he has committed and the harm he has done to another.

Welcome Colonel Quantril, I look forward to working with men such as yourself in my appointed duty of rebuilding the South. I too do not see the Southern people as the traitors that need be punished, but as the most severe victims of this aweful war.

The American Civil War
1861: The Final Moves

The election of 1861 was close. Early on in the race, it became clear that the election would be between Williams and Jamous. Vandrove just couldn’t get his foot in the door during debates and events, but was always cast aside by the furious energy of the New Democrat and Republican battle. In the end, Vandrove managed to carry only New Jersey and Connecticut. When the results were announced, both Williams and Jamous could credibly have come out the victor.
The final result ended up hinging on New York. The state was torn between the two candidates, being close enough to the war to want revenge, but not so close for Jamous’ calls for leniency to be lost in anger. Throughout January 20th, the ballot boxes of the state were counted again and again, each time coming to a different conclusion. In the end, Jamous and Williams broke the deadlock of their own accord. New York went to Williams, and Jamous was allowed to oversee reconstruction.

election1861.jpg

1. The results for the election of 1861 [1].​

Williams immediately went back to overseeing the end of the war. The eyes of the nation focused on Charleston, where General Davis was making a final stand. As the guns of the Union Army pounded Charleston, Union infantrymen advanced through the city block by block, facing fanatical resistance by every citizen, an attitude which seemed to fade as soon as Union troops had traveled through the city block once. It was as if Davis was projecting some sort of aura that was being pushed back by the advance.
Meanwhile, General Johnson made his last stand at Gainesville. Haldane’s force attacked the Confederate positions early on February 19th. The attack faltered late in the day, and the two forces licked their wounds all through February 20th. The next day, Haldane ordered the final assault and after two hours of fighting, Johnson surrendered the last Confederate military organization.
The last battle of the Civil War between two organized military units cost the lives of 1,279 Union, and 1,050 Confederate soldiers. The Confederate Army, which had held for three years against one of the world’s most advanced militaries, and in the process become one itself, was no more. The state government of Florida surrendered to Haldane in Miami a week later.

saluteofhonor.jpg

2. A painting of the Surrender at Gainesville.​

In Texas, the final Confederate holdouts surrendered on April 3rd, bringing an end to the war in the west. All that was left of the rebellion was now holed up in Fort Sumter, under constant bombardment from Union guns. It was here that Davis devised his last plan to keep the Confederacy alive. On April 27th, he sent out an envoy to General Young.
Young expected an offer of surrender, but instead it was simply a request to let those civilians still trapped in Fort Sumter and unwilling to live in the United States sail out to Cuba. Young contacted President Williams, who approved Davis’ last request, and ordered Young to assault Fort Sumter the moment the ships left. What neither Young nor Williams knew was that the Confederate government, including figures such as President James Davis, was also on the ships.
This was revealed to them when a Union sniper spotted the rebel president boarding with his advisors. He immediately contacted his superiors, who contacted Young. Young sent the president one more telegram, asking Williams if he should order the navy to fire on the ships. The president ordered Young to have the ships boarded, although the very final decision would be in the hands of the navy’s commander.
However, when the navy vessels drew close to the three rebel ships, the crew threatened armed resistance. Unwilling to go through with the heavy civilian casualties that an armed boarding action would entail, Rear Admiral Alexander Fuller ordered the United States Navy to stand down. The civilians from Fort Sumter, and the Confederate government with them, passed through to the Atlantic, and on toward Cuba, unharmed.

fulleralexander.jpg

3. Rear Admiral Alexander Fuller, “The Man who Saved a Hundred Lives”.​

Two hours later, Young ordered Union troops surrounding Fort Sumter to commence the final assault. The final battle of the Civil War lasted four days. The walls of the fort were breached on May 1st, and the ensuing battle saw all but twelve of the defenders die in either close combat or a hail of bullets. General Jonathan Davis’ body was found against the fort’s last completely intact wall. He was clutching a rebel flag, and had 16 bullets and 12 bayonet wounds in him. The battle for Charleston and Fort Sumter saw 3,982 Union soldiers, and 13,562 rebel soldiers and volunteer fighters die.
The Civil War was officially ended on May 6th 1861. On that day, Generals Young and Mandrake arrived in Washington. A room had been prepared, in which generals Lee and Jackson sat at a table opposite that intended for the Union generals. They shook hands, exchanged pleasantries and then sat back down at their tables. A single document was brought in. It was signed first by Young and Mandrake, and then handed over to Lee and Jackson, who signed it considerably slower than the Union men had. It was, after all, an instrument of surrender. The document was taken to President Williams, and the four generals, who had for been at war for three long years, went to a small bar in Washington, and toasted to peace.

roccosurrender.jpg

4. A painting of the meeting, at the desk are Jackson and Mandrake, the two men shaking hands are Lee and Young. The other officers were added by the painter, and not actually present.​

The American Civil War cost the lives of 273,638 Union, and 258,510 Confederate soldiers in battle. Disease killed at least 100,000 more on both sides. Civilian casualties, estimated today to be at 250,000, bring the total death toll of the war to a staggering 982,148 deaths. This makes the “American Unpleasantness”, as it was known in Europe at the time, the bloodiest war in American history, and also the worst of the entire nineteenth century.
The Union lost 7.88% of its 1857 adult male population to the war. The South respectively, lost an even more horrendous 14.40%. In all, out of a pre-war population of 28 million, 3.5% were killed by the Civil War. Yet the population increased, as by 1861, with the re-inclusion of the South, the American population stood at 31.69 million people.
At its height, the CSA was counted as one of the great powers of the world. Yet even this was not enough to stand against the righteous might of the United States. For all the horrors of the war, the CSA did create something. Before the Civil War, people would refer to the USA in plural; “the United States are”. Afterward, even in the South, they were a single entity; “the United States is”. Indeed, for the first time in its history, the US seemed one nation, ready to rise from the ashes of the war, and face the challenges ahead.

[1] - Oklahoma was not eligible to vote, despite its official status as Union territory, due to the perceived heavy presence of Confederate sympathizers.

------------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

None really. It's just finally over. 3.5% of us may be dead now, but as they say "the night is darkest just before the dawn".

The update on the first post-Civil War term should be up tomorrow.

It is finally over. I commend Rear Admiral Fuller for his decision to spare the innocent civilians as they set sail to Cuba. The time for bloodshed is over, it is now time for the pen to triumph over the sword. Let us use our diplomacy, unmatched throughout the world, to peacefuly prevent the Spanish from allowing our citizens into their territory while traitors seek to escape justice with them.

I would also like to include into any future monument constructions, for the dead of the South to also be remembered as well as that of the most honorable General Davis.

The War is finally over. The war for freedom, democracy, unity and progress. The Southern aristocracy is broken, and no American will ever again be a slave. We're entering a new era. And from here on we can only move forward. We have hopefully learned our lessons from this war. We will hopefully never again allow a small oppressing elite gain as much influence as the Southern Aristocrats gained. We will build our nation in the spirit of freedom, democracy and equality. But there's one thing left to say:

LONG LIVE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

Jonathan Nightmore

Translated Excerpt from the Basque daily Lan Eraikitzen

"...and with this horrid war finally won, with the Negro finally emancipated from chattel slavery; the workers, soldiers, and farmers of the United States must turn their gaze upon the destruction of wage slavery. The oppressed classes have won a great victory against division and slavery, but we must now battle for the unity of all workers and the emancipation of our class from the bondage of capital. Forward to victory! For the Workers' Commonwealth!"

-Joe Hayden

Translated and published in several immigrant papers.

It is finally over. I commend Rear Admiral Fuller for his decision to spare the innocent civilians as they set sail to Cuba. The time for bloodshed is over, it is now time for the pen to triumph over the sword. Let us use our diplomacy, unmatched throughout the world, to peacefuly prevent the Spanish from allowing our citizens into their territory while traitors seek to escape justice with them.

I would also like to include into any future monument constructions, for the dead of the South to also be remembered as well as that of the most honorable General Davis.
I agree with the senetor; it was a wise decision to spare the lives of the civilians, when the confederate goverment will soon doubtlessly be returned to face justice. Also I would catution the senetor aginst building monuments to rebel leaders immidiatly after the civil war. That might offend some in the north.

May I remind you, Colonel, that the military was made up of people of the South and generally supported by the people of the South. A soldier is not the same as a cannon. He is a man, just as any other. The soldier puts his life on the line so that others will not need to, and as admirable as that is it does not change the fact that he is a person just like any other and is therefore responsible for the crimes he has committed and the harm he has done to another.
That is most certenly true, but how many of those soldiers would have risen up without the leadership of their generals and politicions, some hard-liners surely but not the massive amount we witnessed.

(BBB, did you get the fact about the singular United States from National Treasure? ;-). )

Finally, we can put this war behind us and move on to deploy ourselves into the world.

((I am finally Dead. I Thank BBB for allowing my persona to go down honourably and not dishonour himself or the south with surrender))

So My Uncle-in-Law is dead? It is all the same, he would have wanted to go down in such a way. For eternity my Family and our people will remember his Heroic, if misguided, Sacrifice and Struggle.

(BBB, did you get the fact about the singular United States from National Treasure? ;-).

((That was the first thing I thought of as well :D))

I agree with the senetor; it was a wise decision to spare the lives of the civilians, when the confederate goverment will soon doubtlessly be returned to face justice. Also I would catution the senetor aginst building monuments to rebel leaders immidiatly after the civil war. That might offend some in the north.

I do not seek to have monuments to the rebel leadership erected, but ones to honor the dead of the South who were blindly led into this war, for their deaths were invain and a message must be sent that we will still honor them as citizens of the United States. As for their leadership, I only mentioned General Davis due to his close friendship with the late General Khur, and his previous attempts to prevent such a splitting of the Union even sooner then it has happened.

Well, the first place I heard it was in National Treasure. I'm pretty sure it was in Keegan's book on the Civil War though. :D

I Would Like to ask President WIlliams, Admiral Fuller, or General Young what has or will become of my Uncle-in-Law's Swiss cheese body. ((Im assuming it looks something like bloody siwss cheese given the 16 bullet and 12 bayonet wounds))