• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rusky

Major
68 Badges
Feb 15, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I've been playing CK2 and loving it so far, but i wanna try something more empire building.
Is it still worth getting this or Vic 2 or is it just better to wait till Magna Mundi comes out and get that?
Also How is this game compared to Vic 2?

It's definitely still worth getting EU3. It's better than it's ever been, surpassing all their previous games with the late expansions in my opinion, and there's still official development being done on a new patch. And you can get it for next to nothing these days.

I tried Vicky 1 couple of times and rather disliked it. Too crowded and overcomplicated. EU3 was much cleaner prior to last two expansions, and more fun to play, main focus being macro economics, war, diplomacy and colonization. I wouldn't recommend whole EU3 pack with expansions, but only first part, EU3 itself.

I tried Vicky 1 couple of times and rather disliked it. Too crowded and overcomplicated. EU3 was much cleaner prior to last two expansions, and more fun to play, main focus being macro economics, war, diplomacy and colonization. I wouldn't recommend whole EU3 pack with expansions, but only first part, EU3 itself.
Ricky 1 and Victoria AHD are completely different games, that's like comparing EU2 with EU3+expansions.

Vicky continues where this ends. For the historiophagists like me the code is 'get both'

(Only that I still haven't been able to order Victoria 2)

Well this is just a terrible recommendation. EU3 is far better with the expansions and the new divine wind patch that's being developed will solve a lot of problems with the divine wind expansion, if not all of them. You should absolutely get the EU3 chronicles pack for the base game + all expansions.

Well this is just a terrible recommendation. EU3 is far better with the expansions and the new divine wind patch that's being developed will solve a lot of problems with the divine wind expansion, if not all of them. You should absolutely get the EU3 chronicles pack for the base game + all expansions.

I disagree. EU3 and EU3+DW are two different games. Later introduces interesting tweeks but original is far better. Again, this is my personal opinion. And I don't think EU3 is far better than EU2.

Get it. DW is still the I go back to when all other Paradox games became (temporarily) boring.

It's a classic.

I disagree. EU3 and EU3+DW are two different games. Later introduces interesting tweeks but original is far better. Again, this is my personal opinion. And I don't think EU3 is far better than EU2.
Well, what do you consider the original? EU3 1.0? I've followed the development from the beginning, and I think Paradox has improved on the game with every update and every expansion, and the point where EU2 was left behind was around the time of the third iteration, In Nomine. HTTT adds a lot, and DW brings in the current, much prettier, world map.

Last edited:
Hm.... will defiantly have to give this game a try then. What are the problems that this game has atm?

HttT and DW are quite different with introduction of magistrates and new Horde mechanics. While I might appreciate new maps, gameplay, consistensy and reasonable simplicity matter a lot, and later two are missing in DW. And by original I mean 1.0 plus patches. Can't comment on NA and In Nomine, since jumped directly to DW.

If you aren't a fan of magistrates and hordes, IN is probably the right choice. I started with complete then moved up to chronicles later. IN was very good, but I feel DW is better overall.

Since you're asking this on the EU3 forums, most people will be biased toward EU3, mainly because most people only own one of the games. Therefore if you posted this in the Victoria 2 forum, they'd tell you to get Victoria 2 instead of EU3, which we tell you to do.

It's really about preference.

Since you're asking this on the EU3 forums, most people will be biased toward EU3, mainly because most people only own one of the games. Therefore if you posted this in the Victoria 2 forum, they'd tell you to get Victoria 2 instead of EU3, which we tell you to do.

It's really about preference.
I don't know that that's true, since the question is which one to jump to from Crusader Kings. EU3 is more mainstream and central in the Paradox library, whereas I understand Vicky has had a more limited crowd.

If youre buying Eu 3 don't even consider buying anything lower than IN (Complete). People debate of wich one is better, but Dustman here is the only person I've met on the forum, that thinks the orginal game is the best. Everyoen else go for either IN, HttT or DW. I think DW is the best, yes it might have lots of features for a beginner, but you can just ignore half of them on your first few games anyway, and on those game the learning curve is so steep , no matter what version you are playing, that you will want to restart a lot anyway, becouse you realise all the things you did wrong.

I personally HATE the Casus Belli system in IN, and I doubt I could ever play anything before HttT again. If you got the extra money, I would go for DW, but HttT is good too. If you dislike some of the new features, you can mod any or all of them back to how they were in HttT. I currently play a modded version of DW with the horde system removed, and I'm probably removing the Japan system soon (although I think I like the Ming factions system,) and it is some of the most fun I've had playing a video game in a very long time. I like it more than CKII.

Buy Chronicles and get DW. Thats the only one that's still get updates. No matter what the developers are changing there will always be some "old school" guys saying they don't like the changes.

Buy Chronicles and get DW. Thats the only one that's still get updates. No matter what the developers are changing there will always be some "old school" guys saying they don't like the changes.
You're crazy, with your silly modern language. We should all be speaking Latin, ahh now that was a language.