• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How can you expand that much while playing Ming? Do you keep the Temple faction at power all the time, or do you wait for others to declare war on you?

yep, the trick I use is to throw guarentees around like they are going out of fashion, sooner or later you'll get dragged into wars. The art is to lever every advantage out of every one. The problem is you run up infamy as you can rarely use BB efficient tools to take provinces. In my AAR, I'm up to the 1640s and have all of SE Asia (either owned or vassalised) and N India, as well as colonies in Australia and to Guam. In game I'm about 1780 and have a lot of the western side of N and C America.

After a while, I decided the Temple faction was actually the least useful, as if you really annoy someone like France they will feed you a nice regular stream of DOWs on you. Then you take revenge :).

Overall Ming in 5.1 is perfectly playable & I think nicely balanced. Its powerful but constrained, and you tend to have batches of time where you just do one thing (so bureaucrats - catch up on your building; eunuchs - get colonising; Temple - beat up the neighbours).

I'm playing 5.1 and Japan is conquerable, but some other annoying problems exist. 8 BB per province is plain stupid anyway, and forging claims gives 3/5/8 BB depending on success/failure/discovered or not.

Since more than five magistrates can't be stored, you effectively wasting the most precious resource in the game as Ming when Crats aren't in power. I don't see how it can be reasonable.

And the Hordes are messy and, again, far from historically acurate.

Beta patches and mods are OK, but properly working official version is always preferable. I wish Paradox spend more time on AI instead of putting shackles on particular nations, just to make things "more balanced".

One thing you can fix for example is the cheat people use to gain imperial authority using hordes. Well, I'm just sick of this really.

Well, for that one you can just...you know....not do it?

But really, its seems that if you dislike all the changes made in DW, and you don't want to Mod it up, nothing is stopping you from playing HttT or another Pre-Daimyo/Celestial/Horde release.

But really, its seems that if you dislike all the changes made in DW, and you don't want to Mod it up, nothing is stopping you from playing HttT or another Pre-Daimyo/Celestial/Horde release.

But what if someone else does it in mp?

I just made all the mini Japanese states vassals of Japan and removed their Daiymo status. It works well for if you don't play Japan (which I don't).

I do not own any pre-DW version of the game. I have no choice but to play with the broken Japan.

However your stance is absurd. There is no reason for Japan to be broken. This isn't like there are two choices and it is up to personal preference. Japan is broken in a very fundamental way. Paradox's unwillingness to fix it has caused me to be very cautious about purchasing Paradox products. I don't own a copy of Crusader Kings II partly because of the problems with Japan in EU3.

I would also recommend that you fix all the other problems that came with new things in the game, from what I remember the mission system was introduced later wasn't it? And it's still buggy.
Nothing wrong with the mission system, just some old missions need to be updated to go along with other changes in the game since In Nomine. Little by little these are being fixed.
One thing you can fix for example is the cheat people use to gain imperial authority using hordes. Well, I'm just sick of this really.
I believe this is fixed for 5.2:
changelog said:
- on_hre_wins_defensive_war will no longer fire for nomad wars.

Nothing wrong with the mission system, just some old missions need to be updated to go along with other changes in the game since In Nomine. Little by little these are being fixed.

Well, there is *tons* of missions that doesn't work, and many very annoying missions that fire (like build a fleet when you don't want one) etc, and perhaps vassalization missions of nations you would rather have a PU with (though ..yeah)

And I am on probation, so I can't see what changes are being made.

Mission system is very, very buggy in many aspects. Checks for mission choosing are ill-scripted and quite stupid many times. Ever had 'Make Bohemia vote for us' in first game decade? Or 'RM with Ottomans' as nomad GH? And there are tons of such examples. Plus AI never disable current missions. Get one of these near-impossible ones and they are screwed.

Mission system is very, very buggy in many aspects. Checks for mission choosing are ill-scripted and quite stupid many times. Ever had 'Make Bohemia vote for us' in first game decade? Or 'RM with Ottomans' as nomad GH? And there are tons of such examples. Plus AI never disable current missions. Get one of these near-impossible ones and they are screwed.
The attack prestigious rival often doesn't give the core as well. I just use the magical save/reload trick when I rolled a bad mission. Not like I often do missions anyway.

Plus AI never disable current missions. Get one of these near-impossible ones and they are screwed.
AI automatically cancels missions after a certain period of time.
Some missions are difficult or near-impossible and some are very easy. If you don't like them cancel or just ignore them.

One issue with missions (and events/decisions) is just how tooltips for some effects are displayed; if the effect is directed at a random country/province then the one shown in the tooltip is not necessarily the same one that will be picked when the effect actually happens. It should really just say "random" instead of showing a specific province/country.

For someone who has no adequate idea about MP you sure like to talk a lot about it. Let me reassure you, if someone exploits something its usually noticed and something is done about it. There are also exploits that are done by everyone and pretty much seen as fine.

Well, major difference between EUIII and other games is that I don't have to watch so my co-player doesn't exploit the game >_>

Well, major difference between EUIII and other games is that I don't have to watch so my co-player doesn't exploit the game >_>
Have you played WoW, Starcraft, CS, CoD, Battlefield or other competetive games? Aimbots, Farmbots, etc. are a big problem in most games, at least you wont ever have to accuse a fellow player of using a "Tradebot" or something like that.
Also you need to closely monitor every action your neighbours take anyway, so if you miss an exploit you probably also miss him rasing his military maintenances to DoW you...

I still can't figure why Japan provinces should cost so much infamy and warscore , compared to the rest of the world
they cost 8 piece , unless you have a core , which can be gained with spies , at a cost of 5 , +2 or 3 if you are discovered ...

Have you played WoW, Starcraft, CS, CoD, Battlefield or other competetive games? Aimbots, Farmbots, etc. are a big problem in most games, at least you wont ever have to accuse a fellow player of using a "Tradebot" or something like that.
Also you need to closely monitor every action your neighbours take anyway, so if you miss an exploit you probably also miss him rasing his military maintenances to DoW you...

True, but those are external things, aimbots and farmbots, there isn't a fault in the actual game that can be exploited. And aimbots and farmbots are so relevant for EUIII aren't they? =P

I WISH my enemies would have an AI bot doing their warring, piece of cake.

But said games have some bugs that can be exploited by the players, yes, a lot of them.

Japan is not broken in 5.2, and the game will never be perfect like you think it should be, no game ever will (at least at present time)

But said games have some bugs that can be exploited by the players, yes, a lot of them.

Japan is not broken in 5.2, and the game will never be perfect like you think it should be, no game ever will (at least at present time)

Well, I can't try 5.2 myself, but people have created threads and said Japan is still broken in 5.2.

And I haven't played all those games (haven't played World of Warcraft for example), I also now Battlefield is pretty badly made. Call of Duty I never played, nor CS (but I think I tried it once)

Well, I can't try 5.2 myself, but people have created threads and said Japan is still broken in 5.2.

No offense meant, but it's rather pointless to make assertions about 5.2 when you don't actually have access to it and the people who do are telling you the opposite. I'm not personally using the beta patch at the moment, but if the issues you mentioned are reported as being fixed, then you should satisfied that PI took the time to fix them and not dubious that they can or will.