• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I already have 10% of production from elsewhere, so I think that I could get 33% production by taking their provinces. It sounds like I need to have 33% trading to dominate? I'm not much of a trading power...

Aren't slaves fairly worthwhile by themselves, or not?

They start out with the same value as grain or naval supplies. The demand goes up with colonization of provinces that produce cotton, tobacco and two other items. But they peak at some point and then as abolitionists come about their value plummets to where they are eventually replaced with grain.

Howdy fellow internet denizens!

Maybe my search skills are lacking, but I couldn't find a satisfying answer to what buildings are worth building in overseas provinces (i.e. those giving "tariffs")? I'm playing my first "colonial" game and buildings doesn't seem to do much for the income in those provinces. (And I know about the 1 ship/overseas province thingy).

Trade buildings are the only worthwhile ones for over seas colonies. Unless you plan to move your capital. You might also want a level 1 fort.

General question about trade goods: are colonial trade goods truly randomized or is it always the same good?

I think producing gives the bonus as well.

It does but its not a zero sum game. You can produce 40% that go through COT A. Other countries produces 60% that also goes through the same COT. Now someone with 5 merchants out of 20 at the COT control 25% and if they had just 16% of the other production they control 41% of the trade. Control and producing are two different metrics IIRC.

It does but its not a zero sum game. You can produce 40% that go through COT A. Other countries produces 60% that also goes through the same COT. Now someone with 5 merchants out of 20 at the COT control 25% and if they had just 16% of the other production they control 41% of the trade. Control and producing are two different metrics IIRC.
You only need to have 2 merchants in a CoT to be considered with the trade value. So if you have 2 merchants in a CoT where 40% of the tobacco (for example) goes through, you'll get the bonus.

You only need to have 2 merchants in a CoT to be considered with the trade value. So if you have 2 merchants in a CoT where 40% of the tobacco (for example) goes through, you'll get the bonus.

Please explain. A COT has 20 slots. So if 10 nations have 2 merchants each are you saying that all 10 nations get the bonus? I though the bonus only went to one nation at a time and they had to have the highest control percentage with a minimum of 33%. I am not aware (but could be wrong) that the bonus is given to multiple countries as long as they hit 33%.

General question about trade goods: are colonial trade goods truly randomized or is it always the same good?
They are randomized, based on what part of the world the province is in. For any given part of the world, only certain goods are available, and some are more likely than others.

I have a HRE/Personal Union question.

At the moment I am playing as Austria. I am the Emperor and have a royal marriage with Burgundy. The latter country has no heir at the moment, so I was thinking of claiming the throne and pressing my claim through military invasion. However, I want to know whether or not it is worth it. If i pull off this coup will I actually gain cores when I inherit Burgundy? They are a different culture from me, aren't they? I don't really want to go through all the hassle of a long war if, in the long run, I get stuck with loads of unlawful imperial territory once I inherit.

At the moment I am playing as Austria. I am the Emperor and have a royal marriage with Burgundy. The latter country has no heir at the moment, so I was thinking of claiming the throne and pressing my claim through military invasion. However, I want to know whether or not it is worth it. If i pull off this coup will I actually gain cores when I inherit Burgundy?
Yes, because they're a member state of the HRE. HRE members always gain core on the HRE provinces of other HRE members when they inherit them.

Please explain. A COT has 20 slots. So if 10 nations have 2 merchants each are you saying that all 10 nations get the bonus? I though the bonus only went to one nation at a time and they had to have the highest control percentage with a minimum of 33%. I am not aware (but could be wrong) that the bonus is given to multiple countries as long as they hit 33%.
1. I'm not sure how trader interacts with production, but both are taken in account.
2. Yes, it's precisely that. If 10 nations have 2 merchants, all of them get the bonus.

If they are still trading through an Animist CoT, don't worry. It's natural and as soon as they convert they should start trading by your CoT.

No no, they trade through my CoT in Lubeck. Yet when I hover over the Lubeck CoT button it registers only 7.7% of market share for slaves. On the same subject, how come 225% of the world's grain supply trades through Lubeck? How is that possible?

No no, they trade through my CoT in Lubeck. Yet when I hover over the Lubeck CoT button it registers only 7.7% of market share for slaves. On the same subject, how come 225% of the world's grain supply trades through Lubeck? How is that possible?
Ah, that is a reported bug. You must get in Trade Map view, approach a province producing the good which you want to check, and hover the mouse over the icon of the good in the province.

Ah, that is a reported bug. You must get in Trade Map view, approach a province producing the good which you want to check, and hover the mouse over the icon of the good in the province.

My mistake. Calabar is actually trading through Kongo (is it possible that it switched from Lubeck while I wasn't looking?). Hovering over my provinces says that we access 15% of the market of slaves, but that Lubeck only has a trading marketshare of 7%. I have a production market share of something like 27%.