• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
All I want to do is take your money

(the unofficial song for this post is M.I.A's "Paper Planes")

Capitalism is a funny thing. In a later, alternate time, it would be lauded under the idea that Greed is Good, that Greed Works.

The idea of profit was not new. When the Phoenicians built an empire on trade, taking what was plentiful in one place and selling it in another, it was already an old idea.

The oddities came in the rules of what you could sell and not sell.

Crime.jpg

In some places, the world's "oldest profession" was illegal. In others, the selling of government services was illegal, in others, the selling of government offices was illegal.

What makes a thing illegal? Why was some profit good but not other profit? Why could a man lay off hundreds of farmers made unnecessary to the farm through better fertilizer or some other innovation, but not buy their votes? One caused misery and some amount of poverty, the other spread wealth. Was greed truly good?

On the ground, from the point of view of farmers and factory workers, it was was a distinction without a difference. Greed might be good, and greed might be bad, but greed ran the world.

Could they be blamed for pooling money to organize the power of the government in a way that they perceived as helping them? After all, the jobs given by a spoils system and the services provided through a political machine were real, tangible things, things which improved their lives, or at the least made them less miserable. What, compared to that, was the theoretical purity of a political system that had never functioned as it was supposed to?

Nor was this failure of the political system a new or particular thing. it was not Mexico alone, neither that time, nor that place, defined this phenomenon. To imply that something is corrupt, one must point to a time when it was pure, but when had any straight thing out of the crooked timber of humanity ever been made?

In fact, the politics of the time were, compared to the older days, positively pure. These instances of sold votes, services, and so on exceptions to an overall new order that was born out of an increasing monopoly, on the part of the Mexican government, on the use of force and on the sale of certain kinds of services. In these cases, the existence of these areas of "crime" represented not so much failure of the system as areas where the old order still held sway, and the modern "hygiene" of proper government had not yet arrived.

This was not true of everything however. Some kinds of criminal activity, were, needless to say, thoroughly modern.

Mafia.jpg

Victor Leon arrived with his mother and younger sister in Durango at the age of 14 hoping to work in the mines and make some money.

It had not gone as well as he had hoped. There was a new game in town, and his name was Alfonso Feliz. If you wanted protection, you paid him on time. Mostly, you needed protection from him, thus the money.

There had been people like this back home, but this thing was much more organized. "Los Hombres Felices" were the government, army, and police force of the area. All, under his control. Not that they really amounted to much. They were maybe a dozen of them. But they worked together, and they had guns.

Things were ok until his Mother got sick with the flu.

Flu.jpg

What little money he had put away had vanished to pay for the Doctor. She had gotten better, thanks be to God, but now the protection money was due.

He stayed up late the night after he realized they wouldn't have the money in time, wrestling with what to do. Finally, it came to him, it was obvious.

The other men would be going around to the factories to shake down the owners and collect the protection money. Most of the common people, however, simply came to "Don Feliz's" office and handed over the cash: they were not important enough to be collected from, they were expected to come forward to pay, knowing full well the consequences of not doing so.

His father had died up in Texas, but he had left Victor a gun and the knowledge of how to use it. It was an old thing, but Victor knew, just knew, that he could get in close and use it. It was so simple.

He picked up the gun, tied it to his waist with a rag that held up his il fitting pants, putting it in reach and hiding it at the same time, and walked off.

Don Feliz's office was busy in the morning, people from all over coming in to pay their "rent." He waited, out of sight, waiting. It slowly died down as people headed off to the factories and the mines.

He walked in, Alfonso didn't even look up, his slightly balding head looking down at the table, counting his money.

The hate Victor felt for him at that moment was a perfect, transcendent thing, and the gun seemed to fire itself.

He made sure to take the money when he left, walking, not running, lest his flight be remembered. Act like nothing is wrong.

As he walked home, it occurred to him. These guys didn't really know how to play this game. They pretended to be an army, but they weren't really. From his Father, he knew the difference.

Well, maybe he could do better...first, to get some recruits..

That's a very nice update you've got there. It would be an awful shame if something were to happen to it.

This is probably one of my favorite AARs of all time, the way you delve into the lives of your citizens and turns every event and decision into a personal story is simply brillian!

great stuff, absolutely spot on that the goal of organised crime is selling protection not actually carrying out crimes (just the protection is from themselves). But now we have a new gang leader on the streets?

again, seems you are playing with some classic film concepts - in this case Godfather 2, but brilliantly linked to the story you are creating

I am simply awed by your ability to make this events where I would go, "Oh gosh, Flu Epidemic again?", and you make an impressive story/ministory out of it.

Mr. Sometimes- "That's a nice update you have there..." I LOL'ed. Glad you liked it.

Loki- Sharp eye! That was, in fact, very much playing with a particular scene from The Godfather 2. :)

Prince of Savoy- I've had that Flu screenshot for awhile and have been trying to use it this that or the other way, but it never fit, the idea to use it here came on to me as I was writing the update. :) As I think I've mentioned before, this particular set of updates has been harder because I just haven't had *enough* random events related to the story I'm telling, making it difficult to have something to hang the story on. :) Thankfully, once this chapter is done, I have more screenshots for the focus of the next chapter than I can shake a stick at/can probably actually use.

---
Expect the next update on next Thursday. :)

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold

Elko1.jpg

Elko was not the frontier. "Frontier" has a sense of adventure, a sense of discovery.

Elko was very far from adventure or discovery. It was very far from everything.

Jorge Torres was pretty sure that Elko was hell.

Couldn't be purgatory, the people who arrived her were not going any place better, no sir. This place broke you, drove you insane.

He wasn't sure why his Father has moved out here, a generation ago. He only knew he didn't leave because he could never scrape up the money.

And just like hell, this place kept filling up with people, most of them bad.

Mining was tough work, and the company made it tougher. They all lived on housing owned by the company. The only store was owned by the company. Half of their meager paychecks went right back to the company.

Iron was in more demand out in the rest of the republic, but that had made little difference here. We produced more of it, dug deeper, harder, got more out: made no difference, same paychecks. The main thing working in the mines got you was another day of food and shelter to keep you alive and working in the mines.

Down there, darkness ruled everything. You learned not to think about it, learned not to think of the heavy weight of earth and stone pressing down over your head, strangling the sun, the air, the breeze. If you thought too hard about that, you went crazy. Sometimes the poverty, the alcohol, and the powerlessness combined with the hell of the mines drove you crazy anyway. Almost all the men were drunks, drunks off alcohol bought at the company store. Women didn't have to head down into the depths, but every day was a day waiting and hoping that their man would come back.

The deaths were infrequent, but not too infrequent. They were just frequent enough to keep you on edge. Sometimes, Jorge thought to himself that at leats in death there might be peace, to go up to heaven and join the heavenly Father.

But of course, the life of the miner was one full of sin, so he was pretty sure that, for most of them, this was just training for down below. A way station to the Devil's home.

He had started working the mines as early as he could, around eight years of age. Had to keep food on the table. For awhile, with him and Dad working at the mine and Mom and his Sister doing whatever work they could scrape together here and there, things got better.

Then in '44 the flu came through and Mother died, and things got hard again. And still people came. Every year, more workers going down into the depths.

Elko2.jpg

The years passed, and things got easier again. His Sister was increasingly absent from home, and seemed to have fund a way to make up for the loss of income from the death of their Mother. He noticed Father didn't ask too many questions, and so he himself decided to turn a blind eye. To notice would be to damage her dignity, and all any of them had left was a little bit of that, if even.

It wasn't enough to change anything, of course, not really. Just enough to return them to the way things were before Mother died. You could never get ahead.

The worst part was how the work drained everything out of you. You couldn't think, couldn't even *plan* once you were done. Maybe if the hours were shorter or the work less demanding they could not live in a constant state of numbness, but that was life. Even if you didn't touch beer, you were a drunk. It made it hard to see hwo to get out, or even have a conversation with anyone at work. People trudged in, overseen by managers and other such scum, constantly pushed to dig more iron out of the rock. There wasn't even the camaraderie of working together, each man seemed to exist in an island of his own troubles.

Then one day, they hit a new lode of iron. Thing is, it was a bitch. The rock around it was unstable. Jorge saw the thing, and he knew, just knew, that this way station to hell was about to be doing a much more brisk business..

BloodandIron.jpg

Last edited:
Arise, ye workers from your slumber

Jorge Torres woke up, as every day, until he went to sleep for the last time, he must continue to wake up.

Father was dead. The mines had killed him.

No. Not the mines, the owners. He paid with his life, but it was they who had made the profit. Their need for gold which had caused them to dig, dig deep into the earth, past where any man should go.

And more men were still going down, every day, into the same mine. Waiting to be killed. Not truly alive. But was he better? The need for food, substance, life had kept him going. He hadn't even really given himself a chance to mourn, just buried himself in the always benumbing fog of working in the same dark tomb that had buried his father.

He would head down, a mass of miners, each of them alone. You would think the railroad would change things..and it did...for the worse.

ElkoRR.jpg

More men arrived with the railroad, more people went down into the mines, more deaths occurred even as more precious iron came out.

Worse, the fact that a lot of them were immigrants from Poland or god-knew-where made ti so the immigrant community spoke like ten different languages and existed not as a whole, but in fragments.

And that was the thing there: they were all alone, like lone drops of water floating unconnected to anything in a sea of humanity that was barely human.

He left the shack his sister and him lived in.

For whatever reason, both the fog of exhaustion that normally filled him and the newer fog of grief and hopelessness had lifted. its as if he was in the very eye of his own personal storm, and he could finally see clearly for the first time in years. the clarity was not a natural thing, but a thing of seeing the deep weirdness of the normal world for the first time, the bizarreness of the mundane.

As he walked towards the mines, he saw his fellow workers, streaming in, in ones and twos, to join the increasing tide into the mines, tiny little drops of water forming streams, streams forming rivers...rivers headed towards the ocean that would engulf them all in its depths...

There was very little talking. The men just shuffled together, becoming as cogs in a machine.

Without the moment of clarity, it would have never occurred to him. But perhaps, there was something here. The owners clearly knew how to unite them together for their own good..perhaps they could do the same? Perhaps they could, as individuals fingers, come together to create a fist? The separation, the alienation, it was part of the point, right? It was part of the plan? How else to keep them together as a mass of workers and yet apart? Their very nature and existence was as a unified whole!

His mind moved faster, spinning with thoughts he could barely process or comprehend, but he peeled off the mass. He knew he must follow this up, or join in his Father's fate. There must be words, ideas, people out there who ahd grasped this, who would help him realize it. He could not be the first.

And if he was? Very well, he must still learn, explore, find out how to put thought into action.

Each of his workers was their own individual story, their own life, but there was a commonality here, one that dominated and shaped them. He felt the power of something akin to a faith that had long ago ceased to mean much of anything: these stories, these individual lives, were made up of common experiences, common sufferings..and common foes.

If he could just figure out how to get people to see that. they might unite to forge a common solution....

Collectivism.jpg

again, completely compelling, this is a rendition of V2 in a form I've never seen anyone attempt before ... makes me embarrased at all the pop ups I just click and discard

Agreed. When I get events like that, I just say, "Collectivism? Great, more plurality..."

Thanks so much. Your compliments and comments mean a great deal to me, as well as your patience with the sporadic update schedule. :)

The last post concludes this chapter, the next one will be dealing with Politics, and will once again go back in time. Plans are that this is the last time we will go back to 1836. At the conclusion of this chapter we will finally be dealing with entirely new events and developments when we start with chapter 6. I may organize the first five chapters as a "Part One" of our overall tale and then go forward with the idea that the general five chapter structure to each "part" will be the overall format for the rest of the AAR. We'll see.

If I had to posit a reason why no one does this, by the by, its because its, well, slow. I haven't really touched this particular game in a month or two other than to load up a save game at a appropriate time to take a screen shot of a province in a particular moment in time, or something similar. That can sometimes make it hard to keep momentum.

I hope that the next chapter will be easier for me to post on a more regular schedule as I have an absolutely absurd number of screen shots and the primary problem is going to be eliminating them to pick the wheat from the chaff. No guarantees however, as while I am less busy in summer, I'm still taking classes and sometimes having more free time actually doesn't help with the regular update posting.

On that note, my *plan* and *hope* is to update this Friday. No promises, as I have learned better than to make them. :)

I have to say I'm impressed with your weaving of minor events in the various narratives, its a very cool idea. Keep up the good work.

Your new AAR looks interesting. :) Thanks for the compliment.

Great stuff once again, I see that Mexico finally reckons herself a Great Power! Congratulations! Excellent use of events as usual to create a strong atmosphere and I really enjoyed the glimpse into the pains that the miners have to live through. Still, their sacrifices will see Mexico through to a better era. Have kids and keep your chin up, Torres!

Great stuff once again, I see that Mexico finally reckons herself a Great Power! Congratulations! Excellent use of events as usual to create a strong atmosphere and I really enjoyed the glimpse into the pains that the miners have to live through. Still, their sacrifices will see Mexico through to a better era. Have kids and keep your chin up, Torres!

I was wondering when someone was going to notice that. If you look at one of the screenshots of the last post of Ch2., which chronologically occurred at around this same time, you'll see it there as well. Needless to say, the next chapter will be exploring that development. :)

Originally, this chapter was going to occur right after Ch 2 and was, in essence, a "response" to Ch. 2. I still think it works that way, but I do wonder how the interruption of Ch. 3 effects how that work out,.

Not that I'm complaining, Ch.3, imho, is my best chapter in this AAR so far, and represents some of the best writing I've ever done, as was occurring in a particular personal context that made it the most personally meaningful (I was taking a class discussing the questions around which Ch 3 concerns itself..).

Ch. 5: The Shadow on the Wall

Bureaucrats.jpg

Near what would one day, in an alternate reality and perhaps also in this one, be the Plaza de las Tres Culturas, stood a building.

It was a squat, ugly thing, with very few windows. I clasped the letter in my pocket, and walked in.

Inside was a maze, shelves of books, piles of paper, records, none of it very well organized to my sense of order.

I was here because my Father, in his wisdom, has used money and connections to get me a job. My oldest brother would be the one to run the family business, my second brother went to the church, which left me, and the government. Money, God, and Government, the modern trinity.

Most of the men inside were not, needless to say, promising individuals as regarded my future. Alot of them seemed disillusioned at life and more than slightly defeated.

After a set of directions extracted painfully from more men than was strictly necessary, I arrived.

I knocked on the door, and a voice, cool and abstracted, told me to come in.

His office was different and yet the same. It was chaotic, true, but the chaos seemed to have meaning, purpose, a design. He had one of the few offices with a window, the weak winter sunlight pouring in on a map of Mexico on the desk.

He looked up, his eyes asking a question, his mouth remaining silent. I hand him the letter. He opens it, the crinkle of paper sounding like judgement day. He reads.

"Hmph."

Time passes.

"Sit down."

I do so with speed at the one other chair. He seems to gather his thoughts for a moment.

"So, it seems I have a protege. Very well."

He considers me some more.

"Well, this should be educational. For both of u, if in different ways. Why don't we start with seeing what you know. Explain to me, as best you can, how the government currently works."

PoliticalReforms.jpg

And so I did. Bicameral legislature. Presidential candidates selected by the senate, the supreme court, and the ministers and elected by the lower house, so on and so forth.

When I finally wind down, he then asks me the next question.

"And so, in this situation, who holds the power?"

"The Senate?"

"Not a bad answer. But nonetheless incorrect. The Senate has the power to prevent, but not to do. Only the President has that power..and the President can close Congress, and with it, the Senate, as well as the Supreme Court. A check on yur power you can disband is not much of a check."

He smiles slightly, clearly enjoying himself as I wait in anticipation of his next move.

"How does the President derive his power?"

"From the constitution?"

He shakes his head.

"No. He has two sources of power. The People, and the Army."

He leans forward, pointing at the capital.

"This is your most important lesson, my boy, so pay heed."

"Power is an illusion. A shadow on the wall. A highly effective one, but an illusion nonetheless. You have power because other people choose to let you have power. The President can use the army to ignore Congress, but likewise the Army can, if it wanted, pick a new President, and the lowliest Soldier could shoot a General, the President, whomever."

He gestures out the window.

"From here, we can watch it unfold. More or less safely. The next few years will show you the truth of my words. And also this: many think that this will change. I? I do not. The surface may change. But Man? Man never changes."

Last edited:
very intriguing ... if a little bit damning of humanity and all our failings .. :unsure:

Well, the older man is, shall we say, a bit cynical. His views do not reflect mine, or, arguably, reality. :)

Needless to say, like alot of the other arcs, I'm going to deconstruct this in a number of different ways.

Very interesting update. It's clear the old man is overly cynical, but I'm not sure that means all of his points are unfair. Some of it is very very true and needs to be remembered and taken cautiously. I'd much rather have a pragmatic and quietly pessimistic bureaucrat than one who ignores the facts of life! I will say though he's a little ivory towerish in his approach. The bureaucrats are hardly immune to the struggles of the People, Army and President.

Very interesting update. It's clear the old man is overly cynical, but I'm not sure that means all of his points are unfair. Some of it is very very true and needs to be remembered and taken cautiously. I'd much rather have a pragmatic and quietly pessimistic bureaucrat than one who ignores the facts of life! I will say though he's a little ivory towerish in his approach. The bureaucrats are hardly immune to the struggles of the People, Army and President.

Indeed. :) There's no right answer, per se, but I hope to explore the complex dynamic you describe here. And you are absolutely right, he imagines himself as an objective and disinterested observer, but such a thing is difficult, if not impossible, to be. :)