• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(489885)

Recruit
1 Badges
May 12, 2012
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
So like, this annoying double dragon headed guy asked me for an NAP and i was like, sure why not.

Then in the following turn, he immediately started casting Unity spell and i frothed at the mouth very fast.

Declared war breaking NAp instantly just to cast counterspell.

And everyone decide to accuse me of treachery. Too bad. they can sod off because unity is a terrible spell that ruins any fun I will have by ending the game prematurely. ^_^

Totally worth it cuz that dragon headed guy now dead. He couldn't hack it when facing my soldiers. I find it funny because it seems like the AI wanted the dragon head to unite them all. Instead they should be high fiving me for counterspelling his lame unity spell and ganging up on the dragon douche for daring to cast the unity spell. Oh and what's more, he assumed 66 gold and 51 mana is enough for me to give up and accept my defeat and let him cast unity spell peacefully. Silly. There's nothing in it for me.

Therefore, if you want to rule the planet, Send pretty women to keep me company and I'll let you handle all the hard work that comes with being the leader of a planet.

UNTIL THEN, I WILL KEEP ON COUNTERSPELLING EVERY ATTEMPT YOU DARE TO MAKE DRAGONHEAD!
And there's nothing you can do about it.

In fact, why is unity even in the game? The AI can't even kiss human's butt to make them let them cast unity safely. Its just a silly mechanism that don't make sense.

As it is currently, there isn't much hope for casting the Unity Spell in MP. 5k mana to cast AND it takes ten turns? I would think the Devs are going to tweak its implementation somehow before the MP patch- casting progress is saved , unity is not counter-spellable, cast it ten times at a one turn casting speed, or something.

As it is currently, there isn't much hope for casting the Unity Spell in MP. 5k mana to cast AND it takes ten turns? I would think the Devs are going to tweak its implementation somehow before the MP patch- casting progress is saved , unity is not counter-spellable, cast it ten times at a one turn casting speed, or something.

If that happened, then I'll never play warlock again ^_^ No biggie, no loss, only 20 bucks for me. Because screw unity. I dislike having my games ended prematurely. I like to keep on playing on a map as long as I wanna to and only Civ series can give me this. I think I will have to disable updates to prevent update douches from breaking my copy of warlock.

Oh and the dragonhead is currently crucified for trying to end my fun even when I'm the one who paid good money for this game not him.

All his bases belong to me and his corpse now no longer on ardania.

to be honest the wide dislike of the Unity spell means it needs redesigning. Disabling it will be a nice option while it's broken and not fun, but in the long run I'd like to see it fixed and worth being a part of the game.

to be honest the wide dislike of the Unity spell means it needs redesigning. Disabling it will be a nice option while it's broken and not fun, but in the long run I'd like to see it fixed and worth being a part of the game.

I don't personally understand all the hate for the unity spell. It is easy enough to stop it from ending the game after all and no one forces you to cast it. There is nothing wrong with having a more peaceful victory option and the current state of the "kill an avatar" victory path is pretty broken IMO.

I think a spell-based victory option suits the game rather well. The execution isn't perfect (what is), and the fact a player can easily prevent the AI from winning with Unity means it really is a player-only victory option. If you want to go for it, you can! If not, just make sure you have counterspell researched by around turn 100.

They probably will rebalance it by the time the MP is added. Since its current implementation would never work in MP. My guess is they will make it unable to be counter spelled but require a lot more turns to cast than it does now. They could also make it so everyone else automatically declares war on you when you begin to cast it. So it becomes a matter of can your capital survive long enough against the world to cast this spell? Rather than it just being try to cast it, counterspelled, 5000 mana down the drain never try again.

And for those that don't like it the victory conditions toggle should be in the game by then.

I've already started a few sessions but haven’t ended one with the unity spell so far. No idea if it’s already a feature, but casting the unity spell should have a huge negative impact on relationships to other mages making them start war to this casting mage. Otherwise, it’s like "thank the gods someone finally relieves us from our boredom here!".
The AI looks generally very random in starting war, no matter how good your relation was. Hard to judge without knowing the data and conditions well. One thing for sure though: if you keep bashing with your overbuffed veteran units on someones castle, they want to make peace very quickly!

Perhaps a 500? mana drain everytime someone Counterspells it. To get Unity off would take a massive amount of mana to overwhelm counterspells.

I like that suggestion. I believe the unity spell is a nice victory option that the player or ai should be able to counter. It should be achievable but neither too easy nor too hard. I think that conquest of all other warlocks should be the easier victory route but I do appreciate other victory options in a game. I think that giving players the option to turn off selected victory condition is great because those who don't like it can turn it off and those of us who do like it can turn it on.

I don't personally understand all the hate for the unity spell. It is easy enough to stop it from ending the game after all and no one forces you to cast it. There is nothing wrong with having a more peaceful victory option and the current state of the "kill an avatar" victory path is pretty broken IMO.

You obviously do not get it.

If anyone wants to play a long huge map the unity spell ruins it. You can have AI you have not even met cast it. Then you get ten or twenty turns to find them and kill their capital.

The AI ignores the unity spell. It will not declare war on that AI player. When actually the unity spell should be an immediate declaration of war to anyone not an ally.

On a long huge map what turn are they casting it on? On the big maps - as long as you are diligent with scouting- you should meet all the AI's well before turn 100. Turn 100 is the earliest I have ever seen the Unity Spell start. A single Counter-Spell (cost 85 mana, 1 turn cast time maximum) negates it.

What turns have you seen the AI cast Unity?

You obviously do not get it.

If anyone wants to play a long huge map the unity spell ruins it. You can have AI you have not even met cast it. Then you get ten or twenty turns to find them and kill their capital.

The AI ignores the unity spell. It will not declare war on that AI player. When actually the unity spell should be an immediate declaration of war to anyone not an ally.

I have to agree with this. Unless you're specifically trying to explore, you might not meet one or two of the AI before they get the Unity spell. Especially if you end up at war with people around you.

I have less of an issue with keeping the AI from winning, but when every AI is casting Unity, it means you will end up spending a lot of turn casting Counterspell. I have to spend 3-4 turns in a row casting 2 counterspells a turn to keep them all off victory, and they end up immediately recasting it the next turn.

I can't remember if it is 10 or 20 turns to cast the unity spell (20 for AI I think) but you don't have to keep counter spelling it immediately when the AI castes it, that would just mean you have to counter spell several turns in a row which would be annoying. I just wait until they have nearly finished casting it - you can track progress in the diplomacy window - and then I finally dispel it. This way it is much less annoying and means it doesn't interrupt my normal casting desires.

I do wait until they're almost done. I generally counterspell at the 80% mark. I do this in case I forget to check the next turn, which I sometimes do. It's still annoying to have to constantly check, and spend several turns in a row casting nothing but counterspells.