• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seems like a great reign for sure. Cool additions, solid reforms and a good BB situation left for the next ruler.

Ok, the last two people on the list haven't been on lately, so I'm skipping back to TheLoneGunman.

If there is anyone who wants to be on the list but isn't, please PM me about it. I think there is someone who requested to be put on there but I have since forgotten.

I know I need to update the AAR links.....

Ok, the next person is actually Malurous.

Okay! It's past midnight here now, but I'll set up an HTTT copy with this patch and check the save (it's the 1642 one from last page, right?) now and start playing tomorrow.

If anyone has opinions about our direction, do voice them in the thread before I do my thing. I will then either take them into account or ignore them. :D To me, the combination of low BB with Cabinet and disconnected empire is just asking for efforts at making the borders a bit neater, but we'll see what the game throws at me.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, as I've never made an AAR, getting my bearings when doing that part might take a little while. However, I have no problem writing or editing images generally and I'm off work next week, so I suppose it won't take forever. Besides, at least I won't disappear, that much I can guarantee.

Last edited:
To me, the combination of low BB with Cabinet and disconnected empire is just asking for efforts at making the borders a bit neater

Scratch this, turns out we've vassalized Europe more completely than I assumed. However, I do see a couple of directions where I could take this.

Okay! It's past midnight here now, but I'll set up an HTTT copy with this patch and check the save (it's the 1642 one from last page, right?) now and start playing tomorrow.

I believe the save is on the last page, and the proper patch is linked to on the title line of the first post.

If anyone has opinions about our direction, do voice them in the thread before I do my thing.

You're the king, do whatever the heck you want! :)

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, as I've never made an AAR, getting my bearings when doing that part might take a little while.

Seriously? You comment so regularly and yet you haven't done one yourself? Wow.

I have now updated the first post.

Pellucid, you need to check the links to your pics. A bunch of them are appearing as black squares.
Yeah, I deleted them all from the site I was hosting them on, since it's more of a personal website and I didn't want to take up all the space (also I started deleting them without thinking, haha). I intend to move them to another site at some point but I'm not sure when I'll get around to it.

I believe the save is on the last page, and the proper patch is linked to on the title line of the first post.

Yeah, I had noticed that.

You're the king, do whatever the heck you want! :)

Will do.

Seriously? You comment so regularly and yet you haven't done one yourself? Wow.

Yeah, although I'd like to do one, I'm just too much of a perfectionist when it comes to writing, and doing it in a foreign language doesn't help. So I feel that without building a ridiculous backlog, I couldn't keep any AAR running in the kind of schedule where people would remember what's going on. And I'm a bit hesitant to build such a backlog when I have no idea if anyone would start following. The nature of my job - pretty short days and silent for long stretches, with periods of intense stress sprinkled in that pretty much consist of only working and (little) sleeping - would also lead to irregularity.

But who knows, I might change my mind if someone enjoys what I write here. :D

Oh, and I've started playing and writing. Expect something in this space tonight or, if I'm socially occupied, tomorrow.

Good luck Malurous! :)

If the list reverts back to me, I should be home on Tuesday, because I'm out of town and on the laptop for the weekend.

Good luck Malurous! :)

If the list reverts back to me, I should be home on Tuesday, because I'm out of town and on the laptop for the weekend.

Thanks!

No worries there, you won't be up before Tuesday unless Johann Theodor I decides to die pretty young.

I've got plenty of material now for the first update, so it should be up in an hour or so. I just have to work out how I'm going to put it up here.

I decided to go for a light literary style with dry humor and gameplay captions in italics.

I didn't play an optimal game, not even close, as I didn't think that was either necessary or entertaining in this case. So I roleplayed like hell instead.

I've got plenty of material now for the first update, so it should be up in an hour or so. I just have to work out how I'm going to put it up here.

I decided to go for a light literary style with dry humor and gameplay captions in italics.

I didn't play an optimal game, not even close, as I didn't think that was either necessary or entertaining in this case. So I roleplayed like hell instead.
Well we all like humor. And One Last HurRAAh showed we really like humor, even potty humor. Hehe, I said "potty"....

And RP'ing can be exactly the thing that makes a good AAR.

Johann Theodor I - Chapter One

Johann Theodor's reforms

Johann Theodor I had always been in slight disagreement with his brother Ernst about army composition, so when his reign started on February 10th, 1642 he decided that it was time for changes in that regard.

However, growing up as a gifted individual, Johann Theodor could always rely on his many talents and never had to work especially hard. That resulted in him becoming a tad lazy and arrogant. So, with an overwhelming numerical advantage compared to most rivals, Johann Theodor couldn't be bothered to coordinate his army reforms on a large scale and didn't trust anyone to be capable enough to delegate the effort to. Instead, he only fine-tuned troops in key areas such as the British and Polish borders. A couple of possible extra dead Bavarians meant nothing to the King if they enabled him to slack off. However, he did shuffle troops around, reinforce some armies and institute a new one. Military access was negotiated with vassal Bohemia so more troops could be placed on the Polish border.

A big believer in artillery as the future of warfare, Johann Theodor also ordered the manufacturing of more cannons and training more men in their use. The training of men was also in order because Johann Theodor had read reports that Bavarian military researchers were close to a breakthrough in cannon technology, making them more vital.

The King inherited Bavaria's infrastructure in good shape, so few adjustments were necessary. He organized building projects in Sinai and newly-acquired Orleans, and financed a Church mission to bring the true faith to the heretics in Lothringen. Like his brother, the new King was a devoted Catholic.

While Johann Theodor was now happy with how the country was set up, he stumbled upon a shocking sight in one of his inspections: government officials just lounging about, doing nothing! This could not be tolerated as Johann Theodor expected everyone less talented than him - everyone, period, in his view - to work extremely hard to compensate for their natural shortcomings. The King decided that it would be fitting to send them off to manage government projects in some remote hellhole with insufficient administration.

He researched the matter and learned that the two most prominent areas with lacking administration were the French territories and the Cairo area in Africa. Being an extremely arrogant man himself, Johann Theodor found French people to be entirely normal and reasonable to deal with, so as a zealous Christian he thought that having to oversee the dirty heathens in Africa was a more suitable punishment.

bav1_1.jpg

I tossed the National Focus to Cairo because it feels proper to focus on that area rather than the stable France, even though Cambray would have been more efficient. Cairo is by no means a bad place for it, though.

Wait - there were no heathens to oversee near Cairo? Well, that was about to change if Johann Theodor had his way.

Planning the war against the Mamluks and their Bengali overlords

With his older brother having started a war that he didn't have time to finish, Johann Theodor had a fight in his hands from the beginning of his reign. As he hadn't had any discussions about the conflict with Ernst, he knew only what was public about the Bavarian war aims: the liberation of the oppressed people of Hawran. As Johann Theodor had no inside information whatsoever on what was going on, he had to improvise a plan. With Bavarian troops already fighting deep in India, there was no time to waste. After all, those soldiers wouldn't be thrilled if they heard that their King had no idea why they were pushing into a jungle on the other side of the world.

Being a bit of a diplomacy expert, Johann Theodor knew that the international community worked in mysterious ways. Everyone agreed, to some extent, that the Bavarian claim to Hawran had merit, and that their crusade against the Mamluks was just. However, as the Mamluks were ruled by the Bengali Sultan, the negotiations for Mamluk territory had to nominally go through Bengal. In Johann Theodor's mind, this difference should have been just a formality.

However, that formality was, for some reason, enough for the rest of the world to take a 180 degree turn and claim that Bavaria was intending to outrageously steal those provinces from Bengal. Johann Theodor felt that this was completely illogical and that no-one else was using any common sense. Heck, he thought that everyone seemed to be blindly following a slightly faulty rule set of some game. For a brief moment, he imagined a parallel world where this section of that rule set had already been corrected.

But it was time to wage war, not to invent universal theories, and the King had to play the hand he'd been dealt. He figured that he could only wrestle so much from the Sultan, especially since the Bengali ruler knew that he had little to lose as Johann Theodor was aiming for Mamluk land. Hawran was a given, as the Church insisted that helping the oppressed locals was the will of God. Johann Theodor also wanted to return Christianity to one of its early centers, Alexandria. The area being filthy rich was a welcome bonus, as was getting the officials some heathens to suffer from.

Some advisors feared backlash from other nations and warned the King of craving any more land, but Johann Theodor paid no attention to the inferior minds. He was not going to leave the Christians of Delta under heathen rule. The British had controlled the province before and converted the population, and the Catholics had persevered ever since despite falling under Mamluk rule again. To the zealous King, this perseverance was a sign. Therefore the province had to be conquered.

bav1_2.jpg

The provinces I want are in pink. They are 88 % peace cost so there won't be much more available. Both are connected to existing territories and Alexandria and Delta connect the Red Sea coast holdings to the Med.

Besides, Johann Theodor had no doubt that he could use his immense diplomatic talent to mend fences with any offended rivals. He does indeed deserve some of the credit, but in addition to the silver-tongued King, the well-oiled machine of Bavarian diplomacy had important contributions from a cabinet hard at work, high-level diplomats, as well as men of cloth.

bav1_3.jpg

With BB burn at 3.30 per year, I can afford the full-price provinces without having to sit around too much.

Speaking of diplomacy, the King took a suspiciously strong interest in Swiss business. Bavarians therefore started influencing Swiss politics with a heavy hand. Johann Theodor insisted that these dealings were peaceful, but there were rumors that he needed to control the rich iron deposits near Zürich to supply his expanded army with equipment. Besides, the King was reportedly mad at the Swiss for not attempting to cleanse the Protestant heresy in Zürich. While Johann Theodor was reluctant to conquer land from member states of the Empire, let alone Catholic members, the opportunity to take care of the heresy might be too much to resist.

Similar meddling was also directed towards Flanders.

Beating up the Bengali - part 1

As Johann Theodor rose to the throne, Bavarian troops had pursued and were now disposing of the last vestiges of the Sultan's main army in the province of Koch.

bav1_4.jpg

Apart from the damaged main army, Bengal only has small armies. If I make sure that they can't combine, this will be easy (but time-consuming) going.

The war wasn't much of a challenge for the Bavarian military: it consisted of chasing the main army around for a while, sieging for a long time and destroying any reinforcements. The war dragged on for some time, mostly due to the fact that the Bavarians had to map uncharted territories while they advanced. To speed up the process, Johann Theodor ordered the troops guarding Aceh to be shipped to Bengal. The navy stayed on standby should the men be needed back in Aceh. With the prolonged but easy warfare, the King could divert some of his attention elsewhere.

Johann Theodor I's first European war - part 1

Johann Theodor was enraged that people had been allowed to make a mockery of the faith for such a long time. While he tolerated his Protestant and Reformed vassals - for now - the thought of force-converting nations or conquering provinces to convert excited him. The rotten heretics of Flanders were his first target.

The small nation wouldn't be a threat by itself, but it was allied with Sweden. Johann Theodor couldn't be bothered to prepare an assault of Sweden, so he just ordered his navy to cover the area.

The Defender of the Reformed faith, Bavaria's vassal Holland, was also critical of Johann Theodor's plans.

Still, on October 27th the King declared war on the insurgents.

bav1_5.jpg

The war aim as far as provinces go is Vlaanderen, which moves their capital to Valenciennes. I will also force-convert so the resulting OPM will be Catholic. Just vassalizing would be an option, but Vlaanderen is rich and will connect Antwerpen to our French holdings. Unfortunately, the peace cost for Vlaanderen, force-converting and vassalizing is too high, so they'll remain free.

Sweden and, curiously, Holland both joined Flanders in the war. Curiously in the sense that they seemed to change their mind pretty quickly, offering white peace just four days after joining in the war. Johann Theodor was pleased to accept this as he didn't want to fight a vassal.

Vlaanderen was defended by a rather small infantry army, while Valenciennes was controlled by rebel armies. Bavarians made short work of the forces in both provinces, defeating the defenders on November 12th and 17th, respectively.

bav1_6.jpg

With troops from Burgundy and Cologne joining Bavarians in Vlaanderen, there were enough men for an assault. It quickly succeeded on January 9th, 1643.

bav1_7.jpg

This also enables me to move the army to Valenciennes and attempt an assault. It is unsuccessful though. Also, Flanders would accept ceding Vlaanderen and converting to Catholic at this point, but I decide to milk some cash (not that it's really needed) and renouncing their claim on Calais. So I need more warscore.

Johann Theodor knew that it would be possible to end the war quickly by sending more troops to Valenciennes and organizing an assault. However, he felt that there was no hurry and coordinating the effort would be too much work.

Meanwhile, the Bavarian navy sailed the seas around Sweden, sinking stray vessels, including the entire Swedish transport fleet. This meant that the threat of a Swedish landing was over.

Beating up the Bengali - part 2

In Bengal, the Sultan's main army was finally destroyed, giving the Bavarian army free rein to massacre smaller armies and then spread out for sieges.

bav1_8.jpg

Johann Theodor ordered his armies to first capture the capital and adjacent provinces before pushing further into terra incognita.

Johann Theodor I's first European war - part 2

In April 1643, Sweden had had enough, offering white peace. Thanks to the sinking of their transport fleet, launching any operations had been impossible for the Swedes for the past three months, and Bavarian and vassal ships were blockading Swedish ports. However, the Swedes insisted that Johann Theodor signs peace with Flanders too, so accepting wasn't an option.

In late May, the Bavarian siege army managed to breach the walls in Valenciennes. The King reacted by sending the other army - earlier moved to Bavarian soil in Cambray to avoid attrition - back in the province. An assault succeeded on June 21st.

bav1_9.jpg

This allowed Johann Theodor to negotiate peace with the enemy. Peace was signed on July 10th, just after Bavarian troops had reached friendly provinces again. The King got what he set out to get, including a part of the Flanders treasury.

bav1_10.jpg

Sweden accepted white peace four days later, ending Johann Theodor's first successful war. The war added a rich province to the nation.

bav1_11.jpg

Our French holdings after the war. I like the fact that Antwerpen is now connected to our other provinces in the area.

Miscellaneous events

During the wars, Johann Theodor of course also had to take care of other matters of state. One that he was particularly delighted of was reacting to a miraculous healing act by a saint. The devoted King of course saw this as a sign.

He also organized more construction efforts in Sinai, Orleans and Aceh, as well as Vlaanderen after the capture. Additionally, government officials were working hard this time to improve Cairo.

An agricultural revolution in Judea allowed for more taxes from the province.

There was some unstability in Africa: a small revolt of Mamluk supporters in occupied Kargah was easy to take care of, while some tension on the Cairo border gave the Byzantine Empire a Casus Belli.

Johann Theodor also decided to further centralize the government. This angered some people who felt that their power base diminished, but the resulting revolts were nothing Bavaria couldn't handle.

Especially since the province with the largest revolt, Anjou, had 25k Bavarian troops sitting in it when the unrest began.

A boundary dispute gave Bavaria a core on British Finistere. However, there was another nation that, by angering Johann Theodor during the war against Flanders, painted an even more obvious target on her back...

Great work. Is that nation Sweden?

Great work. Is that nation Sweden?

Thanks! :)

Nope, Sweden is off limits anyway for five years due to the truce, and this conflict comes much sooner.

The nation in question offended us with two separate dastardly acts during our war against Flanders. I neglected to mention those in the writeup to hide our direction for now. :D

I've played what could constitute a short update, so it's possible that I post one tomorrow. But I also might play some more, I haven't decided yet.