• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
lol since when do us Americans "ignore problems?" Overreact to or handle improperly notwithstanding...

Yes, keep this discussion to its original, wholesome topic: incest!!
and delectable puns on the merits of proper ...

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

sword play

I think there should be greater penalties for being a product of incest in this game.
In my Kingdom of Ireland game at the moment, I've been marrying within the family for centuries with no ill effect. In fact at the moment I'm a Genius, midas touched King. That can't be right

How about we don't turn this into a political debate? There are other forums more suited to that.

it was one small comment made in jest. wasn't starting a political debate. you were a little quick to assume that

What? What'd I do? I just made a joke about incest being a preferable topic to politics.
Not you. Take a look at who I quoted. Doesn't say "Garak."

Well personally, I married my genius son to my genius niece. I didnt get inbred, but I did get two genius children thanks to it

I think there should be greater penalties for being a product of incest in this game.
In my Kingdom of Ireland game at the moment, I've been marrying within the family for centuries with no ill effect. In fact at the moment I'm a Genius, midas touched King. That can't be right

The game doesn't handle incest all that properly at all. You could have a string of brother-sister pairings for ten generations with only one person gaining the 'inbred' trait for an instant -8 to everything slam. That isn't how inbreeding works, neither 10-generations-with-nothing nor the instant-appearance-of-monster-baby is accurate.

By all rights, inbreeding should be a slow, progressive degeneration of a blood line due to reenforcement of negative traits and 'garbage' genetic code. The first generation of incest would be mostly fine (monster babies from the get-go is total myth), within tolerance levels of bad traits. But the longer it goes on, the worse it gets.

To simulate this in-game, I would suggest the following: (I'd do this myself, but I am no modder. Heck, I can't even figure out how to get that "awesome tooltip" code floating around here into the game...)

Multiple levels of the Inbred trait.
- Inbred 0 : Invisible to player and AI. Has no negatives or plusses by itself, merely marks the characters as being the child of incest. Make a roll on Congenital Traits table at +5% odds.
- Inbred 1 : -1 to Steward, Intrigue, and Learning. -5% Fertility. Make a roll on Congenital Traits at +10% odds.
- Inbred 2 : -2 to Diplomacy and Marshal. -4 to Steward, Intrigue, and Learning. -10% Fertility. Make a roll on Congenital Traits at +20% odds.
- Inbred 3 : -5 to Diplomacy and Marshal. -6 to Steward, Intrigue, and Learning. -30% Fertility. Make a roll on Congenital Traits at +40% odds.
- Inbred 4 : -8 to all stats. -60% Fertility. Make a roll on Congenital Traits at +80% odds.
- Inbred 5 : -12 to all stats. -95% Fertility. Make TWO rolls on Congenital Traits at +80% odds.

If the game detects an incestuous pairing (vanilla un-cheat-coded only allows Uncle/Niece and Aunt/Nephew currently as closest, but I would suggest First Cousins and Grandparent/Grandkid also qualify) it checks the two characters for any level of Inbred trait. Then it compares the two as so: (A is the higher of the two, treat characters with no Inbred mark (or non-relatives) as -1)
- If A=B or A=B+1, children are born A+1 (if A+1=6, make it 5)
- If A=B+2 or A=B+3, children are born A
- In all other cases, children are born A-1

This should be a reasonably accurate representation of how inbreeding can wreck a family. It also allows families to 'fix the damage' by bringing in new blood, or at least some suitably distant in relation. And yes, the extra rolls on the Congenital Traits table may result in a kid with 2-3 of them (if you include Inbred as one), I'd like to remind you that except for Genius, Quick, and Attractive, that trait table is full of really bad stuff. Odds are you'll end up with a really screwed up kid. A sudden outbreak of Genius is possible, but pushing your luck is just a bad idea all-around.

Last edited:
lol was you houses name Borgia by any chance. :)

I dont like that. It should be trait based. Youre playing the family. Not the man. So you shouldnt have total control sometimes over your man.

Notice, when you put the pointer over your character, it says "you".

You're playing that particular character as much as anything. It's the only one you have full control over.

Not being able to turn down an affair, although I've never had it happen to me, is absolute nonsense.

There should be some kind of code in the game that prevents marriages of too-closely-related persons.

Because I granted duchies to blood relatives over the years, they're starting to marry my nieces to my grandsons, for example.

But that wouldn't be historically accurate. European royalty was constantly marrying first cousins and such. And a lot of royal lines got wrecked because of far too much inbreeding over the centuries.

But that wouldn't be historically accurate. European royalty was constantly marrying first cousins and such. And a lot of royal lines got wrecked because of far too much inbreeding over the centuries.

My sister's son marrying my son's daughter? Wasn't that a bit too close for even that time period?