• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Metz

Field Marshal
106 Badges
Nov 21, 2008
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
Crusader Kings 2 is a complex game, it is probably as complex as Hearts of Iron 3 but in a different aspect. This game is all about family relations and getting your family to improve itself and its name over the 400 years you are given (1066-1466). Even though Crusader Kings 2 offers a lot to do and a lot to look forward to every time a new generation is born (things like education, betrothal, having children, ensuring succession, etc) there still could be a few tweaks and small additions to make the game even better.

Dynasty to Dynasty Relations
I think a concept that is missing that could really benefit gameplay is that of dynasty to dynasty relations. In game there is player to player relations, such as things like making friends, having someone as a lover, helping someone out in a war or complying with a call to arms. Focusing on dynasty to dynasty relations could be really good on the long run. It would be you as a player helping out or associating yourself with another dynasty, by simple things such as maybe giving one of their relatives a holding in one of your provinces, paying off their debts (this should be added), ransoming imprisoned relatives (this should be added as well), arresting assassins who killed one of their relatives, defending their land from invasion, helping them in a war, or perhaps just fighting alongside them in a Crusade.

Unappreciative Lords and Vassals
I'm sure that everyone who has played Crusader Kings 2 has been frustrated by your vassals or lieges lack of appreciation whenever you are set out to help them. Sure you can get the modifier that you answered the call to arms and that you fought alongside in a campaign, but these modifiers are limited. What if you were helping your liege win a civil war that last for 5-10 years? There should be some sort of feature where vassals can become a lieges favorites by the actions they do, that way vassals can either plot together against their liege or work against each other to earn their lieges trust. This way you don't have to declare independence or fight your beloved liege for more land, you can kiss butt and hope you will receive an extra county or even a duchy every time you do something great. This can be similar to the Crusade system, where the ones who contribute the most get the most land in the Middle East. In a civil war, if you do the most to quell rebellion, you should get the traitors lands.

How is He Family?
It would be nice to see how your distant kin is related to you. I'm sure that it will be impossible or a pain to do for very distant family, but it could be done for closer family. It would be good to see things such as "Grandfather's Brother", "Grandfather's Nephew", "Cousin's Son", "Second Cousin's Wife", etc...

Family Ties
Playing with Elective Succession, I came across an interesting scenario. I had decided to make my first son a bishop, so that my second more skilled son could inherit my counties. I had Elective succession at the time, so then I was voting for my second son to succeed anyways. Anyways my second son came to power and as he was getting old and it was time to vote for a new successor, I chose his son. His brother who I had made a bishop then decided to vote for some mayor who wasn't even family. Maybe one could assume that the first brother was bitter about being skipped over so he wanted to screw over his family, who knows? But it would be good if family could favor each other for titles as well as trying to protect each other from assassinations and rebellions.

Splitting Army in Half
This feature has been added to EU3 and VIC2. I think that Crusader Kings 2 really needs it as well, it takes a long time to move soldiers from one army unit to the other, and if your playing in Multiplayer, I'm sure it would be really inefficient.

These are all my suggestions that I'm sure would make the game even funner to play.

if you have any suggestions, post yours..

Ya mostly good suggestions imho. Big emphasis on wanting Family to matter more. ATM , apart from final score , landing family is generally a bad idea (i do it though to try be realistic).

If i had to add an idea , it would be a feuding system. Where 2 big houses can feud with one another over stuff.

Family revolts way too much. Are there any real life examples where family revolted every 10 years on a kingdom wide scale? Instead of revolting, there should be plotting, if a family member wants to take you out and take your titles, there should be a complex web of planning with members of your council, courtiers, and other family members.. Perhaps the game can expand the scheme system where two opposing sides compete in an intelligence war to see who can take each other out first through assassinations, set ups, and traps.

Great suggestions.
Especially the dynasty-to-dynasty relations.

That's probably my only major complaint about CK2: there's no actual rivalries or centuries-long alliances between the dynasties. Those would, I think, make the game even more interesting.

Playing just now, I think that implementation would be that of a "Title Exchange". Suppose you have a good loyal mayor and you want to reward him by giving him a county. Instead of the Mayor being Count of X and Mayor of Y and having him rule two separate places far away, you should be able to tell him that he can be a count and must pass on his Mayor title to whoever is next in line.

Also it doesn't make sense that you get a betrothal accepted with a count's daughter after sending assassins to kill that same count's son and having them get caught. There should be like some sort of dynasty to dynasty communication breakdown. X years for having assassins sent and getting caught without succeeding, and Y years for having assassins succeeding and getting caught. Z years for divorce/betrothal breaking (divorce having more years of course).. But the marriage and betrothal would only happen if your not friends with that dynasty. There could be friendship degrees when it comes to dynasty to dynasty friendships.

I like most of the OP's suggestions.

What CK2 is missing the most is basing the score you see on endgame on dynasty results, and not just player's characters. In other words, make this score work like the score you see in DynasticGlory.

There should also be benefits for players to strive to be in the council. Being Chancellor, Steward, Marshall, Spymaster, or Court Chaplain should give special abilities to a character so he can perform tasks against other characters.

They really need to let you search for people who would accept an invitation to your court in the character window.

+1

And some semi-negotiation would be nice. I don't want to OP invites, but it should matter if I'd make him councillor or agree to press his claim. Disappointment should follow with serious consequences if I don't follow up.

I also like the idea of Dynastic relations. Maybe not all Dynasties to all Dynasties, that would be massive, but special case feuds and friendships would be great.

They really need to let you search for people who would accept an invitation to your court in the character window.

More people should be accepting court invitation. Family members abroad who's spouses died, courtier cousins, former employees, people who don't get along with the rest of the court or the court's liege, etc... All these have reasons to join your court rather than stay in someone elses..

Also:

Marriages
So a Count in Poland has access to brides ALL OVER THE WORLD? I think that playing as a count, one should only have access to local or regional brides. Playing as a Duke one should have access to neighboring real brides, and playing as a King or Emperor you should have access to European brides. An Irish Earl marrying a Ethiopian courtier doesn't make sense. DId Russian Dukes really marry Portuguese courtiers? What about Byzantine Doux's marrying Scottish Countesses? King of Sweden and Queen of Croatia?

Marriages should make more sense, they should be more regional depending on the status. A person of the time would feel more comfortable marrying someone of their same culture and religion, therefore the game should prioritize marriages to be more local depending on the rank a character has (count, duke, king, emperor, etc).

Cadet branches are probably the #1 thing, followed by simply improving the AI.

Cadet Branches would be a good way to expand the dynastic system in the game simulate real transitions like going from De Normandie to Plantagenet to Lancaster (they should add a dynasty evolution tree for this). Maybe the feature that a particular culture gets glued to a dynasty so that all characters sprouting from X dynasty are encouraged to act a certain way, marry a certain way, and follow the dynasty's religion, and name their children a certain way.

I'd like to see the option of pillaging and maybe the option to give back the prey in return for some diplomatic advantage.

You just reminded me...

The ability to transfer prisoners to other characters or your liege in exchange of gold or favors. There should be a favor system as well(can be something accumulative and abstract though).

Maybe be rewarded land if you really help your liege well in a war or battle (battles rarely though, should be more for like an important war campaign).

If your Liege holds land that you want (by want I mean that is within your DeJure) there is already a pretty good chance that your Liege gives it to you as a reward for being loyal or simply as a 'bribe' to make sure you stay loyal. An example is the Swedish Duchy of Östergötland (vassal to the King) which initially get´s a -25 relation due to the King holding the County of Södermanland. Plying as the Duke of Östergötland I am eventually rewarded with the mentioned County in almost every game as long as i don´t plot against my Liege.

I like most of the OP's suggestions.

What CK2 is missing the most is basing the score you see on endgame on dynasty results, and not just player's characters. In other words, make this score work like the score you see in DynasticGlory.

Seconding this.
There were something like a dozen kingdoms with rulers from my dynasty in the last game I played, and god knows how many other rulers were descendants of women in my dynasty, but the score only adds up from people I actually play? That makes no sense.

I like the OP's suggestions.

Even something simple like the liege making the highest contributor on his side in a revolt against him into his friend (and then targeting friends for good stuff later).