• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vote Count!

Aragon: 6
Teutonic Order: 3
Naples/Milan: 3
Vijayanagar: 4

Aragon is the winner!
To be honest, I kind of expected Aragon to win, considering noone really ever plays Aragon all that often.
Thanks to everyone that voted!
First update later today!

**Sorry about not posting this yesterday. my internet was down (again... *sigh*)**

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PART OF THE AAR WAS LOST. JUST SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE NEW PART 1.

How To Be Completely Mediocre In Divine Wind Part 1

Well ok, here's the very first update. Hopefully there will be many more to come. Anyways, the settings for this game will on be on normal(being the mediocre player I am).
The very first mission for Aragon is always to vassalize Navarra. This is an extremely easy mission, and requires absolutely no skill or effort. The only negative effect of this war is that I don't move my slider just yet, in fear of a massive revolt popping up somewhere.
As for my economy, it's decent for the game start. I'm making a yearly profit, and gaining no inflation. Personally, I always like to have full stability at all times, so I am investing fully in it right now. Once I get 3 stab, I will invest in government to get my first idea.
unEnC.jpg

Now, I unpaused the game, passed the naval recruitment act to gain 1 innovative, and attacked Navarra. Soon after doing this, I received great news. A new heir! This is good, because now I don't have to worry about making royal marriages with people. During this time, we also get a move to aristocracy at the cost of 1 stability.
Gn3Jv.jpg

I have built up my military slightly now, so I feel safe enough to go one move centralized. It costs me one stability, so I guess I never had anything to worry about.
POZl7.jpg

Soon after, we capture Navarra, and make them our vassal. This gives us one stability, and a new mission. Which is to reclaim our core on Sardinia, another relatively easy mission.
yKlOo.jpg

Sardinia is guaranteed by the Papal State, so we might gain more than I had expected from this war.
RnbFv.jpg

Sardinia falls quickly and we are given a new mission after annexing them, which is to protect against Portugal. I'm not really too worried about completeing this mission right now, as it has no real benefits for me.
In the meanwhile, we get a monetary reforms event. I choose to get the 3 inflation because I really hate having low stability. We also complete our mission(I don't really know how, but whatever), and receive a new. This one is to have a naval race with Portugal. Yay...

On the military standpoint, we have finally occupied all of the Pope's land, and are ready to make peace. I decided to vassalize the Papal State, because getting excommunicated really sucks.(and so does having uncored territory separated by a body of water)
r2fIv.jpg

After building a few galleys(and disbanding them soon afterwards), we get another mission, which is to improve relations with Foix. This is very easy, and will take a year or so to complete.
Then I get a Great event! National Institutions. +1 centralization, for just -1 stability.
mbX1K.jpg

After becoming good pals with Foix, I get an extremely annoying mission. Attack France. Right now, the only way I could possibly win a war against France would be to fight with Burgundy at the same time(and possibly England or Savoy), and separate France's forces. Right now, however, that isnt going to happen, so I will just cancel this mission once I'm able to.
6Gz1M.jpg

During this time period, I get dragged into several wars with England. Each of which have no effect on me, and I am able to beat back all of their advances on the mainland, while they occupy all of my islands. Then, I just wait for them to give a white peace offer.

Now, sufficient time has passed for me to cancel our current mission. Unfortunately, we run into an equally impossible mission to achieve if I try and do it. So I'll see if I get lucky and Castille disbands their army or something like that.
VL40s.jpg

Government tech 4 is researched! With this I can take national bank as my first idea. I like national bank, simply because this is basically the only way to be able to mint, without costing any negative side effects. The only other option I considered was Grand Army(I think that's what it's called), for it's morale boost. I decided that it wasn't worth it though.
pIjYC.jpg

After Castille is somehow reduced to a 7000 man army, I complete our mission. Next, we get another naval race with Portugal. This time though, I don't want to waste ducats on building any more ships, so I will just cancel it eventually.
At this time, I take another step towards centralization. Not much to really say about that.
As for my investments, I am fully investing in land tech currently, so that I can reach level 5 and get some higher quality troops. I am also brought down to 1 stability around this time(1412) due to events.
I get another mission, to protect against Castille. Hooray. I just love these missions. They sure do vary a lot don't they? Luckily I can vent my frustrations on Morocco, who has a Holy War called on them. I just couldn't refuse the offer. The pope is my vassal after all!
ziWiv.jpg

Unfortunately, Morocco's navy is stronger than mine, due to the fact that theirs has 11 big ships. Meanwhile I lose another stability.
Luckily for me, I fight their navy off of their coast, so I am able to land my army on their provinces while we are in a naval battle. Once landed, I am easily able to occupy Morocco, along with my fellow Christian Crusaders.
I forgot to take a picture of the peace with morocco, but after I had beaten them I attacked lowly Algiers as well. Algiers was swiftly occupied, annexed, and completely wiped from existence.
adowy.jpg

And with that, I bid you all adieu. Next time, I hope to gain more land, in hopes of eventually becoming powerful enough to fight Castille.
So long!
yMFMe.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive progress! The idea you were thinking of, BTW, is Military Drill. National Bank is still a good choice, though. Looking forward to future updates!

Here are few observations from one mediocre player to another:
Did you forget to trade, or is it a part of your brilliant strategy :), I played Aragon a while back and their trading sliders are quite good.
Also that first slider move towards aristocracy is a bit unstandard, but I guess it makes sense if you`re ignoring trade.

Last edited:
That awkward moment when you lose your savegame....
Yeah, sorry guys but I lost my save game. Unfortunately, this mean that I will be starting over as Aragon... *sigh*
Well I guess this just goes to show how mediocre I am at managing saves. Hopefully this time, I can keep hold of the file...

But, anyways, I will post a NEW first update soon!

Thanks everybody!

Oh dear.

Well, Aragon is one of my favourites, so subscribed!

Looking good so far! I've always been interested in reading an Aragonese AAR. From personal experience TO is a bit tricky to survive the initial pol/lith onslaught but munching on the HRE bulks you up incredibly quickly. Might I suggest going for Italy? High tax minor nations to assimilate there!

How To Be Completely Mediocre In Divine Wind Part 1 (Again)

Hello to all of you (hopefully) more skilled at this game readers. Once again, I have lost the save to my very first update of this AAR (see part 1 above), so I have decided to just make a new one instead of raging and just playing as France on very easy with no inflation like I usually do. I am again playing the country of Aragon, on all default setting, except that there are no lucky nations.

As I first join the game, I get my mission to vassalize Navarra, like always. I decide to make a National decision called "Pass Naval Recruiting Act" to gain one innovative. I decide to hold off on moving my actual sliders as well, because having a 7000 man revolt while also fighting a war at the same time is bad news. My army consist of 1 cavalry regiment, and 4 infantry regiments. They are all promptly given a leader and sent off to crush Navarra.
On the diplomacy standpoint, I get royal marriages with France and Portugal, while Castille unfortunately rejects my offer. This is bad, because it probably means that Castille will hate me forever now. I also get an alliance with Burgundy to help with any possible wars with France.
After my grand army occupies Navarra, I vassalize them and receive a new mission. Right after doing so, I make a move towards centralized.That can't hurt, can it?
SmWmd.jpg

I declare war on Sardinia, which is guaranteed by the Pope. Hopefully I can vassalize the Pope in this war as well.
XrgYp.jpg

HOWEVER, someone has to come in and ruin the fun. Apparently, Savoy was at war with Sardinia as well, and they conquer them. Instead of the AI's usual strategy of taking all of their cash money, Savoy annexes them! In retaliation, I declare war on Savoy. This may not look like too bad of a war, but believe me, many,many, many other nations join in later on.
xAFpZ.jpg

cowpd.jpg

During this war, I spend a very long time fighting the ships and landing parties of Venice, Scotland, Corfu, Naxos, Hungary, and Mecklenburg. I have split my armies into two groups, 5000 men to conquer Sicily, and 6000 men to defend Aragon itself. In time, Venice and Scotland combine to have a 9000 man army at some point, so I am forced to recruit some mercs. I also take some stab hits during this war as well, as I wait for a chance to make peace with everyone except Bohemia and Savoy.
FN0k9.jpg

Fortunately, as of April 1406, I am still making a profit of 9 ducats a year without minting. Right now, my inflation is at 2.1 due to the mercs, but it is not rising. No technologies have been researched as of yet.
As for diplomacy, 2 reports stand out VERY much. This could mean a war soon. Very soon.
POKJl.jpg

In 1407 at some point, I reach full on War exhaustion. This will cause many revolts once I reach peacetime. Luckily I get some events that lower the risk by 2.
HipTm.jpg

Then, on Januray 15, 1408, tragedy strikes. I am attacked by Castille. Burgundy refuses to join me, but Portugal is all to happy to join Castille.
77rWc.jpg

Before this had happened, I had almost fully occupied Savoy. Now I figure I should just finish that job. That way, I will have more land that Castille must conquer, and it's separated from the rest of Aragon.
I receive war subsidies from many nations, which might help keep me afloat in this war. I also receive alliance offers from about 5 Italian nations, including Milan, Naples, and the Papal State.
Right now; however, it is time to make peace with Savoy. I know my mission is to take Sardinia, but annexing them right now is probably the way to go.
w4iSl.jpg

Once Savoy is taken care of, I head over to my homeland to see what is going on. Portugal and Castille are moving around army stacks of a considerable size, while rebel armies pop up in multiple places. My army's position in this image right here is the closest it will get in this war to actually getting into a 10k versus 10k men battle with Castille or Portugal. Needless to say, the homeland falls within 2 years.
OMX9g.jpg

I make a white peace with my old Bohemian enemy, as one war is more than enough for me right now, thank you very much.
A peace with Portugal is reached. I lose my Navarran vassal, and am forced to also pay a small lump sum. In my opinion, removing one of my two enemies is a very good thing, and this deal was well worth it.
XqknX.jpg

I retreat my army through French lands to Savoy. I plant my army in Cumeo and wait for Castille to attack me. This leads to a repetitive "game" between us that has 3 steps along with a couple of other variables.

Step 1: Castille lands 6000 men with their 6 transports in Nice. My army and leader rushes to attack them from Cumeo.
dvcCD.jpg

Step 2: My army beats theirs, and they retreat to Cumeo. My army goes with them in hopes of destroying them. Sometimes, rebels spawn as well.
UVBXd.jpg

Step 3: Both armies arrive in Cumeo, where my army destroys theirs. I then rest my army in Cumeo until the next 6000 men arrive. During this time, my great friend Milan deals with rebels, and Castille sends me peace offers that consist of me releasing both Sardinia and Savoy as independent states. This will not do.
DzdoG.jpg

A slider change is in the air, so I make a move towards quality, for just another small edge in this war.
tBLjW.jpg

And now: the evolution of Castillian peace offers.

Early offers: Are you kidding me? NO WAY
ZABAh.jpg

Mediocre offers: Don't try and be me, Castille. I'm on to you...
ePtkW.jpg

Highly advanced and respectable offers: Shut up and take(none of)my money!
kwNjE.jpg

So, in summary, I make peace with Castille to annul some treaties and release Sardinia. This is ironic, considering I have now done the exact opposite of what my mission wanted me to do. Oh well.
This war has crippled me with war exhaustion. I am at my limit. My economy is also on the brink. If I keep my troops funded to stop revolts, I will have to take a loan, but if I defund them to keep my economy afloat, I will be taken apart by rebels. My plan right now is to hopefully let Milan take care of Savoyard rebels, and have my army concentrate on Aragon itself.
V43Iq.jpg

This is going to be a tough time. And it's only 15 years after the start of the game...

BudnQ.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive progress! The idea you were thinking of, BTW, is Military Drill. National Bank is still a good choice, though. Looking forward to future updates!
Thanks, I will probably do the same thing this time as well.
Here are few observations from one mediocre player to another:
Did you forget to trade, or is it a part of your brilliant strategy :), I played Aragon a while back and their trading sliders are quite good.
Also that first slider move towards aristocracy is a bit unstandard, but I guess it makes sense if you`re ignoring trade.
Trading is too mainstream :p, actually, I dont really think trading is worth it. (And I'm lazy, but, whatever)
you're going to roleplay *yourself* as well in this AAR? :p
Why of course, after all, who else could be this mediocre?
Oh dear.

Well, Aragon is one of my favourites, so subscribed!
Hehe, well be prepared to "Oh dear" many more times
Looking good so far! I've always been interested in reading an Aragonese AAR. From personal experience TO is a bit tricky to survive the initial pol/lith onslaught but munching on the HRE bulks you up incredibly quickly. Might I suggest going for Italy? High tax minor nations to assimilate there!
Yes, italy is a good place to attack, but it is also a good place be attacked as well, so we will see...

Some good but hard-earned gains. If Savoy becomes overrun with nationalist rebels, consider just releasing them as a vassal. Vassals are almost as good as directly-controlled land since they will give you half their money and you don't have to pay to take care of them.

Remember to have the Savoyard provinces leave the HRE asap! Otherwise the emperor is going to ask them back.

Being a player that loves Aragon myself i must say :
First thing you should have done was to ally France.

no lies, Castille won't attack you and the french are usually loyal.

But doesn't Aragon sometimes get a mission to attack France ? Wouldn't be England a better ally ?
Would you have started that war with Bohemia and Venice btw ? Maybe Aragon should stay quiet for a while and make money trading before starting risky wars. Annexing Savoy for 16 (!) infamy didn't seem a great idea to me either, such a high infamy may be also the reason why the AI isn't keen to make peace.

Last edited:
Some good but hard-earned gains. If Savoy becomes overrun with nationalist rebels, consider just releasing them as a vassal. Vassals are almost as good as directly-controlled land since they will give you half their money and you don't have to pay to take care of them.
Yeah that is a good idea. However you will see that I do waste time in doing this, to my chagrin.
I don't know whether to be more impressed by your war exhaustion or that rather large Tripoli. Either way, it's entertaining.
Tripoli always seems to do well in my games. And thank you!
Being a player that loves Aragon myself i must say :
First thing you should have done was to ally France.

no lies, Castille won't attack you and the french are usually loyal.
Yeah, I might have, but at the start of this game I forget to get allies, so I was left to choose ones who didn't have 3 already.
Ouch. this is gonna hurt ...
Eeyup
Remember to have the Savoyard provinces leave the HRE asap! Otherwise the emperor is going to ask them back.
Yeah, about that.... look at my magistrate count in the last image...
But doesn't Aragon sometimes get a mission to attack France ? Wouldn't be England a better ally ?
Would you have started that war with Bohemia and Venice btw ? Maybe Aragon should stay quiet for a while and make money trading before starting risky wars. Annexing Savoy for 16 (!) infamy didn't seem a great idea to me either, such a high infamy may be also the reason why the AI isn't keen to make peace.
I started a war with Savoy, and Venice/Bohemia joined in. Also, I believe that getting Savoy was worth it, considering that their land helped me defend against Castille. Also, the reason I think they didnt want peace, is because they were kinda occupying my entire mainland.