• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Marconius

Emperor
112 Badges
Apr 6, 2007
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Gettysburg
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
I'm curious if holdings -below- count level build various buildings on their own. I noticed that in counties I own, I can build into all the holdings personally. I'm wondering if I -have to- in order to make progress or if these holdings build stuff on their own?

I'm curious if holdings -below- count level build various buildings on their own. I noticed that in counties I own, I can build into all the holdings personally. I'm wondering if I -have to- in order to make progress or if these holdings build stuff on their own?

Baronies and cities do, I'm yet to see a Bishop upgrade anything (I suspect they either give everything to you or the Pope).

You can invest in them to help them get started. Bishoprics have buildings that help spread technology, just as cities do.

They don't give everything to the pope. I've had catholic baronies build stuff just fine. The Orthodox ones seem more prone to building, but that's possibly due to Byzantine tech rather than religion.

Baronies build more stuff if you jumpstart them by building their income buildings. Sadly the AI doesn't seem to do this. Give a holding a few levels in it's income buildings and it'll start to make stuff.

They all do, as long as they have the cash. So if you're loaded, but they're not building anything, either build FOR them, or give them the cash to do so.

Note, they sometimes seem rathe obsessed with walls rather than the tax-increasing buildings.

They all do, as long as they have the cash. So if you're loaded, but they're not building anything, either build FOR them, or give them the cash to do so.

Note, they sometimes seem rathe obsessed with walls rather than the tax-increasing buildings.

Yea, walls seem to be high on their priority when they build stuff, along with increasing fortification level.

I tend to build both tech increasing buildings in all bishoprics I own, and at least one tax increasing building in each city and barony, just to help them along.

It's kinda hard to follow who starts building what, but church buildings seem to be low-priority so that counts/dukes favor upgrading cities and baronies over them. If you want the tech bonus built for your count or duke, you better fork a lot of cash to the bishops.

Baronies build more stuff if you jumpstart them by building their income buildings. Sadly the AI doesn't seem to do this. Give a holding a few levels in it's income buildings and it'll start to make stuff.

That pretty much goes for all 3 types of holdings. Even cities tend to build slowly, if at all, without you 'priming the pump' by building infrastructure. They build even less the more you raise their levies, as that costs them upkeep, and not you.

It can get really annoying when you build up the 800 gold to upgrade a university and then find out that the mayor has commisioned a new barracks that'll take 2 years to finish and yoy might as well spend some of that 800 right away.

Even with income buildings, they upgrade much slower than my liking, to be honest. I wonder where they spend all their money....
Assassinations :D (Some guy apparently changed the cost for assassinations and noticed his vassals building a lot more because they couldn't afford the assassinations. I'd take that with a pinch of salt though, given how rare actual assassinations are (although at times it is indeed raining daggers).)

Doges upgrade a lot more than Dukes do, I've noticed. In fact, I'll probably not have many dukes at all in my next game, seeing how all my dukes are still sitting on underdeveloped stuff and the doges are BATHING IN MONEY and investing it at the same time.

To test this out, I eddited the save to give the bishop of the church holding in my capital province a rediculous amount of gold.

He kept building until he ran out.

Handing out multiples desmenes to the same vassal (for example, 3 cities for the same mayor) will also favor construction, I'd guess. Since the vassal secures more disposable income he has more coin available to spend quickly in his own desmenes.

Id guess it's the same thing with Bishops.

This gives just more reason to concentrate your vassalized holdings into the same hands. Less people to worry about.

Upgrade the 100 and 120 income buildings for the mayor and he should have enough income to build the rest up over time and you will in turn increase your income indirectly. The more cash the mayor earns per month the more you will earn :)

1) I give them a heads up. If I create a city, I'll build their first two port upgrades for them. From there on they have enough income and you see them start building themselves.
2) I try to give the city to a major that already has a second city. This way he can use his income from the first city to build in the second city.

Doesn't sound that unnatural to me, from the perspective of a small time noble. He'd want to feel secure in his holdings since that's all he has, and he feels the loss of his tiny domain to siege more intimately than you with your big kingdom and many such tiny vassals under you. ;)

Handing out multiples desmenes to the same vassal (for example, 3 cities for the same mayor) will also favor construction, I'd guess. Since the vassal secures more disposable income he has more coin available to spend quickly in his own desmenes.

Id guess it's the same thing with Bishops.

This gives just more reason to concentrate your vassalized holdings into the same hands. Less people to worry about.

As king, I've even seen powerful dukes (not sure about counts) erect whole new barony/bishopric/city holdings on their own.