• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(Just power-read everything, most interesting indeed. Red Cesar betraying the Republic he swore to protect is a surprise in game if not a surprise outside the game ;-), King's support of the Reactionary government and betrayal of Chilean Democracy perhaps obvious both inside and outside the game, the usual suspects of Nationalistas quick to take positions to undermine Chile not surprising.)

This strong Republicano movement is most interesting, it would seem almost half of the former government still has some respect for glorious Chilean democracy. It gladdens my heart to see we have moved away from the era of accusing Badajoz of tyranny, and now can move onward to fight the true tyrant of Chilean democracy. Hail to the new boss, same as the old boss.

De Santadera was an appointee of Badajoz, interesting, and the current leader as well a close associate. Perhaps Chile can now see who the true betrayers of Chilean Democracy are? Certainly not the Liberales who now support Chilean freedoms, perhaps the fickle hearted who were quick to purge the Liberales so many years ago? Until "our glorious" emperor starts to burn the books of history, the people of Chile will see the truth.

Finally, General Carrow, how the angel falls so far ;-). At a time, you were once a strong Liberale and supporter of Chilean democracy.

(perhaps against my better judgement, I am feeling a stir to join this again. I assume the period to become agitators is over? In that case, I will mull my new character).

You can declare to become an agitator, zagoroth. However, doing so means that you will be disenfranchised for the next electoral term under the Imperial government.

hmm, then you are double tricky ;-). For some reason I just assumed you would join an eventual reactionary coup (since your character wanted to Coup much earlier on to eliminate the Liberales).

(Alright)

I, José Aragón, nephew of Badajoz, and a man who grew up appreciating glorious Chilean Democracy, will announce myself an agitator against los Lobes en el gobierno (the wolves in government). El Dictador has played his hand too much, and has seized our once glorious nation from the tracks of progress. Watch the masses of Europe stop immigration to our once sublime harbors, watch as the freedoms we once fought for as Chileans are erroded, watch as the government takes our land and demands our economy, watch as the land of Chile is awash with the blood of her children.

El Dictador has committed a crime against all humanity, against los chilenos, against the land of Chile herself, and deserves nothing better than a good hanging in front of Parliament en Santiago. We will not rest until all those who once preached democracy, while thought the thoughts of Desecrating our nation, are removed with El Dictador.

We will seize Chile back to her people, the people of Chile, the children of Chile, the most glorious in all the world. Los chilenos se respiran el aire de la libertad once again (The chileans will breath the air of liberty).

¡Chile para los Chilenos! ¡Chile para los Chilenos! ¡Chile para los Chilenos!

José Aragón, El Agitador extrodinair, pledge his services, his mind, his gun, to the rightful president of Chile in exile, and dreams to walk the streets of Santiago a fellow liberator.

King: I am honored ;-)

(cough)

chances are one of the exilees are the true Republican president, so I stand by my words...

((Then technically, none of the presidents were rightful, considering how the Congresa/ Electoral College (i.e., us) decided who was to be president.))

Thank you, Senor Aragon, for that bold statement of support! The Republic will be restored! The Emperor will be deposed, and the Congress will return triumphantly to Santiago!

Cesar/Disraeli 1861: Springtime in Chile​

The ambitions of the Empire of the Andes, under Cesar I and Disraeli, did not end at Chile's own borders. As the Emperor himself commented shortly before Disraeli's rearrangements to the government, the prize plum of Bolivia was too fresh and ripe to ignore. Bolivia, following its recent war with Brazil, had no standing army and it was a simple matter for Cesar I to declare the invasion of Bolivia. Under orders from the Emperor, Prince Sebastian Roseno (still grumbling from the loss of half of his army) marched into Bolivia at the dawn of the new year and easily began to occupy it, facing negligible resistance from the country's single band of disorganized conscripts.

Seeing his chance to strike while a portion of the Imperial Army was abroad, Antonio de Santa Rosa sent word to his supporters and soldiers scattered across the country that the time to strike would come soon, and now was the time to throw off the Imperial yoke. It was, he said, Springtime in Chile. The man in the street began to shout, rather than whisper, treasonous dissent against the Imperial Crown, and forces all over the country began to arm themselves in secret by night while railing against the Empire by day. Weismuller, though doing what he could, warned the Emperor and the Prime Minister that if present circumstances persisted they might soon lose control of the country.

Carrow, Roseno, and De Vallenare sat uncomfortable in their saddles as the obvious anger against the Empire built and built until, that autumn, Antonio de Santa Rosa finally sent the word to strike. The rebellion, a makeshift alliance between the Jacobins and Anarchs, struck on the 12th of September, just as the occupation of Bolivia was reaching its tail-end. More than 300,000 armed rebels had taken to the streets in Chile - more than 200,000 in Santa Rosa and Galante's so-called Republican Rifles, and another 100,000 in Zepeda's Anarch Rifles. Reports of some, but not mass defections rippled through the army as Francisco Rivera's final influences in the Chilean army were felt, and the port at Valaparaiso was blockaded by the so-called Free Chilean Navy under Alvarez, the half-built Imperial armada still in its docks.

Antonio de Santa Rosa himself appeared in Santiago, and with him appeared an army of tens of thousands that he had conjured as if by magic. Cesar's Imperial Guard held out just long enough to allow the Emperor and his court to escape, before being swallowed up by the tide of rebellion. Cesar fled north to Potosi, where the rebellion had been much thinner and sparser, where he and Disraeli took to planning their counteract. Though they still commanded some 84,000 soldiers, the rebels had more than three times that number - the largest uprising in the history of Chile. The loyalty of Cesar's court was about to be tested.

-------------------------

This is a major uprising, which I treat as coup declared by the game. Ministers and generals need to declare their loyalties, stating whether they support the Empire or support the Republic.

You have two days to declare (until 6 PM PST on the 2nd). I may or may not be too busy then to post an update, we'll see.

It would seem now is the time for redemption, for the lost flock of our representatives. Will they remain husks subordinate to el Dictador and be consumed by Republicano fervor, or join us, to bring peace with less bloodshed, to retain a say in the government which will rise out of the ashes El Dictador has spread, and join said road of redemption.

We will walk under the banners of Santiago as brothers and sisters united for Chile.

Viva la Republica!

Stand People of Chile! Stand for your Rights! Rise up against the Tyrant!

As the Romans phrase goes... sic semper tyrannis... "Thus always with tyrants." The men and women of Chile are tired of these shackles, these wars of aggression, and of "your Higness, the Emperor!"

Chile has been, and will continue to be, a Republic!

Rise up against your oppressors!

((And now it's Springtime for Hitler and Germany!

... oh... and I'm a warlock... That's how all those soldiers appeared...))

Members of the Court Imperial​

Look in your hearts, you all know (mechanically) that (in the game) our army is fully capable of defeating even this number of militia. The only threat we face is from within (also remember those who don't declare keep their standing affiliation, so you don't need to be worried about being on the losing side just because X person hasn't showed up and declared for us yet, if they are a member of the government we automatically get their support). All that we require to finally destroy the Viceroyalist movement, maybe not for all eternity but for a generation of peace at least, is loyalty.

We have the rifles! We have the men! All the Emperor requires is your loyalty!

Let me remind all of you that the Viceroyalists have repeatedly stated they would never trust you. Siding with them is suicide. I will not lie and say you would be summarily executed, but you would be stripped of all rank, disenfranchised, and tried - with execution being the most likely outcome.

And for the Crown Prince...my prince, never forget that the Viceroyalists have sworn a blood oath to destroy your family. I know that, despite your political leanings, out of love of your father and your brothers and sisters and the rest of the Imperial Family you will rise up and defend the Empire your father created.

(( Let me also add to all of you that after this term I cannot run again, following the game rules, and that more opportunity to exercise the tremendous power the Empire gives will be opened up to all of you with ambitions. ))

There is no looking backward. No time for blame or for fear. We must leap forward. Destroying these rebels is the first step to the everlasting glory of our nation....

THE EMPIRE OF THE ANDES

I shall stand with the Republic!

For a time, I had a fear, a fear so powerful that it pushed me to act. A fear that our Republic, our system, would fail. For take a gaze at all republics before us: Rome, Greece, the Italian states...all were failures. All fell to greed, corruption, and foreign invasion. My fear was grasped by Cesar; he whispered in my ear, told me of everything that could go wrong. And so I lost my faith in democracy, in liberty, in the Republic. I stood with absolutism, and tyranny.

Now I see my mistake. Now I see that our Republic and our freedom are worth fighting for, even dying for. Stand together, Chileans! Even if we lose here, even if the world falls on top of each of us, we will die fighting, knowing that we gave our all to defend freedom so that it may be passed down to our children, and their children, and theirs! STAND AND FIGHT! ¡CHILE PARA LOS CHILENOS! ¡VIVA LA REPUBLICA DE CHILE!

Last edited:
((A pamphlet distributed by Olózaga supporting Santa Rosa))

LIBERTY MUST BE RESTORED

The “Emperor” holds absolute power, restricts the god-given rights many of your countrymen fought and died for, kills indiscriminately based upon hunches, declares war at a whim, and answers to no man. A monarch must serve the people not see that the people be crushed under the heavy boot of imperial dictatorship!

In the name of liberty you must join with us and fight this crooked system. While his henchmen may label you traitorous if you do the reality is that it’s traitorous not to fight! Could you look your children in the eyes knowing they shall be raised under the black cloud of Cesar’s regime because you refused to act NOW?! Could you watch from the sidelines as your friends are beaten and killed by army thugs because you refuse to act NOW?! Could you truly bear to suffocate your own throat from saying that in which you believe for fear of state retaliation because you refuse to act NOW?!

It has already been decided that the dictator will fall, the question is when, and the answer lays with you the Chilean people, if you act now then we may taste the sweet nectar of democracy once again in our lifetimes. But if we do not we force the bitter imperialist yolk upon the later generations.

However as experience has shown the old system did not work, twice coup attempts were made and the latter was a success, ushering in this era of suffering. Liberty needs a protector, needs someone to restrict the power-lust of the executive, someone to stand by the constitution. For that purpose I urge you to support my cause, a cause that shall see a monarch representative of the people, rather than of his own interest. That shall see a fully-powerful parliament rather than the impotent imperial court. A system that supports democracy, rather than gives potential tyrants the opportunity to dispose of it. Only then can we see the return of freedom, and have it not leave our shores again.

No longer shall the people be forced to live under the tyrant Disraeli and the atrocities he and the Weismuller family have made against the people. Though I do not wish to fight against my father, I shall support the Republic and immediately end this useless war against Bolivia and aid my friends in the Republicanos. What remains of my army stands firmly behind me, and I hope the troops unjustly removed to form Disraeli's own personal army will as well. The Republic will rise again!

Thank you General Carrow! I suppose my message begging you to aid us was unneeded... ah, well! You have my gratitude, and that of all of Chile!

Now the incompetent Imperial regime sees their folly. I thank Roseno for his denouncement of the horrid Weismuller family. Their crimes against my family alone make them worthy of execution. I bid all free Chileans to join me in my battle cry!

Republic is freedom!

Republic is liberty!

Republic is progress!

And I will personally slit the throat of any landed Chilean who says otherwise.

-Proud Republicano Abelardo de Vasces, in a conservative stupor

The fallen angel returns, Carrow!

And Roseno puts on the sheep jacket to avoid persecution from the Republicano forces (that in character speech is hilarious (in a good way) by the way, taken in context of your character).

Edit: Keeping the post for historical purposes, but it is wrong because Roseno turned out to be actually Republicano.

Last edited: