• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hes-a-waiting on me General R-O-S-E-N-O, I am still mulling over cabinet stuff

(I actually think I remember that. Unlike the name of our favorite general down South.)

If Colonel Carrera wishes to resign his post as foreign minister, the position is open to a Conservadore who voted for me this election.

Also, Kinguter please empty your inbox, Pallen empty your inbox, Seek empty your inbox, King5000 empty your inbox, shhh no conspiracy here!

(joking, just you General Zepeda).

Emptied.

People of Chile, the cabinet is ready. We must wait for an update from TH soon.

Maybe El Presidente should get to look at this cabinet ;-)? Yes, the cabinet is basically done.

I put my support behind Senator Romano. Although I do support the laissez faire economy, the lack of any government support to the economy is dangerous when it is so fragile. I find pluralism a disruptive and unnecessary policy. Giving citizenship to anyone who happens to come into our country is sure to attract 100,000 criminals to our shores. Considering you would not be in office without our support Badajoz, I think you are being far to thoughtless to our needs.

-Armando de Vasces

I acknowledge the lack of support Laissez Faire gives, and as apparent in my Seperation of Economy and Government Act proposal, I support Interventionism when the budget of Chile is in danger. Your cries of economic control are not unheard, I just want to make Interventionism the exception to the rule.

King5000: The "main army" s currently led by Riccardo up north, Seek has control of the Rear Guard, and General Roseno is in command of the South. Thus, I assume you want to remain colonel under the infantry brigade under Riccardo?

The cabinet:

Interior Adviser: Zepeda
Adviser of Economy: Romero
Foreign Adviser: Welshdude
Military Adviser: Gloa

I think thats everything, please remind me if I forgot an important cabinet slot.

((Thanks, now it makes sense, and I'll accept that position.))

It warms my heart to hear of my return to my dear brigade. I will gladly accept the position. I do question the wisdom of putting an Admiral of a not-as-of-yet existing Navy as the Advisor for our entire Military. Would not a "Chiefs of Staff" be better suited to such a purpose?

Okay, I got zagoroth's final policies a little while ago. I'll give you an update as soon as I can, but as it turns out I'm busy tonight. Give me a bit.

Whats with this Chief of Staff? I have never heard it being used for the military ;-). I chose Gloa, because I hope his admiralship will make him unpartison in terms of the military. An admiral without a fleet can use something to occupy their time.

Whats with this Chief of Staff? I have never heard it being used for the military ;-). I chose Gloa, because I hope his admiralship will make him unpartison in terms of the military. An admiral without a fleet can use something to occupy their time.
((I think he's referring to something like the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It seems in Chile at the time, at least according to the briefest of searches about it, had a Ministry of War and the Navy at the time, although just slightly previously the two were separate Secretariats which just happened to often be headed by the same guy.))

I will gladly accept this position as there is little use for an admiral with - as others have pointed out - little to call a "navy" at this time. It is sad that we no longer have the Armada de Chile [Chilean Navy] that protected our independence war so bravely, although understandable in some ways given our current position.

I will of course listen to input from the commanders in the army and navy when making decisions.

General Roseno: I have not forgotten your plight, but as the powers at be may inform us (Thunder Hawk), we dont have the capacity to make more brigades. It will be one of my priorities to increase the army at least one or two brigades, balanced economy so helping, and you will get something more substantial. As it is, we have 6 brigades with only 4 able to be maintained.

Badajoz 1841-1845: Death, Taxes, and the Navy​

((WARNING: LONG!))

A wise man once said that there are no such things as doves in Chile, only hawks and vultures. He was probably right. All candidates were in favor of war with Argentina in late 1840 - the only question was timeframe. Michael Badajoz, the once and future President, famously declared "Chileans cannot be aggressors" and refused to simply declare war on Argentina in the name of expansionism. For the time being then, Chile would have to concern herself with domestic matters.

Badajoz promoted Zepeda to his Minister of the Interior, widely regarded as the most powerful position in Chile behind the presidency itself. General Antonio de Santa Rosa replaced Zepeda as the head of the Grand Army of the North (recently renamed), and General Sebastian Carrow was recommissioned to man the rearguard. Carrow returned to the field a much changed man - charismatic and a deep thinker, the cavalry unit he was placed in charge of said they would gladly follow him. General Roseno did not move. Having eradicated the last of the Royalist elements from the south in previous years, Patagonia had become his second home.

Zepeda and Admiral Gabriel Alvarez, the newly appointed Minister of War, strove to improve the Chilean military however they could - many agreed that under their direction, it became one of the best organized and disciplined forces in South America. Sen. Romano, still Minister of the Treasury, continued his pro-mining policies to great effect. Perhaps the greatest unsung hero of the administration was Senator Jorge Gales, newly appointed Minister of State. Under his careful direction and pursuit of Badajoz's pro-immigration policies, the country experienced an immigration boom like none before in its history. The country's population swelled from 2 million (total) in 1841 to 2.6 million by 1846 under Gales' direction, though his achievements were little discussed in the media.

Decline in relations between Chile and Argentina were immediate even though war was not, and by February 1841, they had become positively acidic. The plummet in relations would lead to the Argentinian military buildup in the fall of 1841, the size of their military swelling from 3,000 men to 16,000 in a few short months. Ecuador would offer an alliance to Chile in June which the Badajoz administration would turn down on the grounds "the burden would be on us to defend Ecuador but not on them to defend us."

Minister Romano's first success came in November 1841, when an extremely rich iron deposit was discovered in Chillan - Romano's pro-mining policies were largely said to be the cause. Despite this, however, the treasury took a plunge for the worst as Brazil declared war on Bolivia on April 8, 1842, demanding the return of parts of the Amazon. Argentina would follow suit and declare war against Bolivia on April 21, laying claim to Jujuy. Though Chile was not asked to join the war, and indeed did not, the economic fallout would very nearly drive the treasury into the red. Chile maintained strict neutrality throughout, rejecting a request from Bolivia for military access in January 1843. 1842 also saw the Education Act coming into force, and enrollment in schools saw a healthy rise.

In May 1843, Romano's second great success of the administration came through as he succeeded in securing several free trade agreements with neighbors and countries around the globe, resulting in an economic boom. For the first time in Chile's history, the government was running a surplus it could not reasonably spend on mundane budgetary matters - the army was fully supplied and funded. After some urging from Admiral Alvarez, President Badajoz commissioned the Chilean Navy in October 1843, as shipyards in Valparaiso layed down the hull for a new frigate, the San Martin. At this news, General Roseno supposedly wrote to President Badajoz saying that he would like another brigade more than a frigate. Badajoz wrote back saying, "Were it rifles and not men you needed, General, I would gladly give them to you, but our recruiting stations are empty."

The Bolivian Wars ended in 1843 with a disastrous defeat for Bolivia, who surrendered both regions to her enemies. Meanwhile, construction of the new frigate did not proceed exactly as planned. The necessary artillery for the ship could not be found in all of South America, Romano and Gale reported - all available supplies were being directed to Britain for her use in the Belgian-Dutch War in distant Europe.

On February 1, 1844, Badajoz instructed the treasury to rid itself of a large surplus by providing a one-time instant tax cut to the upper classes. Though the entire value of this package amounted to 1,000 pounds Sterling, the effect was immediate - capitalists finally secured sufficient funding for the construction of a glass factory, which was completed in early 1845. It now employs some hundreds of men and turns a modest profit.

As the Belgian-Dutch War ended in June 1844 with the Treaty of London, artillery again became available on the market. The San Martin's construction began in earnest and was completed December 1844.

-------------------------

There's another update incoming. I've broken this post into two pieces.

Badajoz 1845: Argentina​
The dawn of 1845 looked as if it was going to be the last year of a mundane term for President Badajoz. In March 1845, Badajoz wrote to Roseno saying that he could finally make good on his promise - he had commissioned a new infantry regiment which he intended to assign to Roseno's command, the first new unit in almost a decade. This was to be the news of the month, Badajoz believed.

He was wrong. On March 26 1845, Argentinian troops crossed the Chilean border and exchanged fire with some of General Roseno's Grand Army of the South -- accidental, perhaps, but leaving several of Roseno's men dead. Chile had bee waiting for this moment for five years. Badajoz obtained a declaration of war within hours. On March 27, 1845, Chile was at war with Argentina with the goal of reconquering Northern Patagonia "as a bulwark against Argentinian aggression." Brazil and Columbia joined Chile against Argentina just two days later.

Roseno crossed into Bariloche immediately with orders to seize Patagonia, but with his one brigade he was soon beaten back by a far superior Argentinian force, costing both sides two thousand men. Roseno returned to Chile on June 20th, where he met with the new brigade of infantry that Badajoz had dispatched to him and launched a second attack into Argentina - this time to stay.

Carrow and Antonio de Santa Rosa advanced into Argentina at the same time, quickly invading pieces of the country's north, but after Roseno's defeat in Patagonia, the Argentinian army marched to meet them. The Argentinian Army, 12,000 men all told, outnumbered the entire Grand Army of the North. They unexpectedly flanked around and attacked Carrow - his single cavalry regiment fought valiantly but was defeated at Salta before de Santa Rosa could relieve him. Santa Rosa joined Carrow's shattered unit with his own command and took up defensive positions at Equia.

The Argentianians dislodged Santa Rosa in a bruising defeat and gave chase, but the arrival of 12,000 reinforcing soldiers from Columbia (who had arrived in Chile by boat in November) gave de Santa Rosa the wherewithal he needed to deal Argentina a heavy blow at Jujuy. Argentina's entire four-brigade army collided with with the combined force entrenched at Jujuy and were punished for it: they were sent fleeing to Salta three days later with 7,000 men dead, at the cost of the same number for the coalition. Santa Rosa's victory came on New Year's Eve, 1845.

((So, zagoroth, you sent me three bills and atomicsoda proposed one as well. I'm going to allow one of zagoroth's bills on the table. You can't make bills related to party formation. It's not within the power of the Congreso and I need to keep a handle on it for balance reasons.))

The Chilean Education Act:

Chile will actively help subsidize teachers and clergymen pay to increase the literacy of our Sublime Citizens.

Teacher subsidies will range from 70%-100% at all times, with the leeway to lower to 70% in times of Chilean Economic crisis and the ability to raise to 100% in times of economic gain.

-------------------------

Ministers and New Coup Rules:
Okay, here are the new coup rules. The President of the Republic may, in addition to the appointment of generals, appoint various ministers to his cabinet (we're going to call them ministers and not secretaries even though both terms were used in this period because... I say so!) The President may appoint up to five ministers (who have direct power in the AAR rules). These ministers will create effects based on their past policies. They are:

Minister of the Treasury: Gives bonuses related to trade and the economy. For example, Romano might give a bonus to mining efficiency.
Minister of State: Gives bonuses related to international affairs. For example, Gales might give a bonus to immigration.
Minister of War: Gives bonuses related to the military. Generals do not incur a penalty for serving in this position.
Minister of the Interior: Gives bonuses related to any area he chooses to specialize in. The Minister of the Interior is the most powerful minister and the position is similar in prestige to Vice President.

...and an additional minister specializing in an area of the President's choosing.

The President may appoint fewer than this number of ministers if he wishes, including appointing no ministers whatsoever, though this will incur penalties in-game.

In the event of a coup, the cabinet ministers control the loyalty of the mobilization and the capital stack even though they are not assigned to units directly. The more cabinet ministers support one side, the more mobilized units and the greater the portion of the capital stack will support that side. The capital stack is always the last to desert the status quo government after the entire mobilization pool has gone.

Thus, when a coup is declared, the ministers vote in the same way generals do. They may also declare a coup (a "civil coup", instead of a "military coup") at any time, as generals do.

If all cabinet ministers and all generals and admirals support a coup, the coup is said to be a Velvet Coup. This type of coup does not incur as large a militancy penalty as bloody coups.

Self Coups:
When the President supports a military coup, the coup is said to be a self coup (and is extremely likely to succeed). Self coups, if used to ignore the results of an election, produce extremely high militancy. They may also be used to implement junta voting to make the administration's bills more likely to pass and to change the government type (democracy to monarchy, for example), in which case they do not incur as large of a militancy penalty.

Player Actions Needed:

It's Primary time once again. All those wishing to run should say so loudly as well as which party they're running for. Please bold your announcement. ((Zagoroth, as you've now served two terms I have to ask you to step aside. Chilean presidents typically didn't serve more than two terms and someone else needs a chance anyway.))

Sample Announcement:
Juan Doe, Candidate for the Conservadores

Additionally, you need to vote on both the Chilean Education Act (above) and the Separation of Economics and Government Act ((enforces interventionism or Laissez-Faire until repealed)). Current tally on the latter is below.

Yes: 4
No: 11
Abstain: 0

Sample Ballot:
Chilean Education Act: Abstain
Separation of Economics and Government Act: Abstain

NOTE: Union tickets last only as long as the election. If you want to form a new Union ticket between two parties, you'd better start discussing that now so we can vote on it in the primary. The old unions need not exist. As always, the floor is open to bills.

((ARRRGGGHHH. Why did I schedule the last chapter of Ambition and a Shadow of the Andes update for the same night?))

Well, I am happy to say that the border has stabilized, thanks to our Colombian allies! Hopefully, once our troops have rested (and possibly Brazilian reinforcements arrive), we can recommence the invasion. I wish to congratulate President Badajoz on an extremely successful presidency, thank him for his support, and hope the Liberales can nominate a man who is as capable as him! As well, I will to apologize to General Carrow; we did not hear of the attack until it was too late. I am happy that at least some of your men were saved... it's sad we couldn't show the Argentine army the full might of Chile! And, well done General Roseno; I hope we can at some point coordinate an assault on Buenos Aires!

Well, I am happy to say that the border has stabilized, thanks to our Colombian allies! Hopefully, once our troops have rested (and possibly Brazilian reinforcements arrive), we can recommence the invasion. I wish to congratulate President Badajoz on an extremely successful presidency, thank him for his support, and hope the Liberales can nominate a man who is as capable as him! As well, I will to apologize to General Carrow; we did not hear of the attack until it was too late. I am happy that at least some of your men were saved... it's sad we couldn't show the Argentine army the full might of Chile! And, well done General Roseno; I hope we can at some point coordinate an assault on Buenos Aires!

Whoops. Forgot to mention that the Brazilians are currently advancing towards Buenos Aires unopposed.

Also, a list of events that don't concern us but happened:
April 3, 1841 - USA passes Fugitive Slave Act
December 19, 1842 - French Foreign Legion
May 3, 1843 - UK intervenes against the Dutch
August 26, 1843 - Nashville Convention
April 5, 1845 - Die Groot Trek
April 21, 1845 - Russia declares herself Defender of Eastern Christendom

Perhaps the greatest unsung hero of the administration was Senator Jorge Gales, newly appointed Minister of State. Under his careful direction and pursuit of Badajoz's pro-immigration policies, the country experienced an immigration boom like none before in its history. The country's population swelled from 2 million (total) in 1841 to 2.6 million by 1846 under Gales' direction, though his achievements were little discussed in the media.

((Look, I'm quite happy about this, but next time I become a minister could someone tell me please? it's alright for this, but I'd hate to miss becoming El Presidente, for example))

((Look, I'm quite happy about this, but next time I become a minister could someone tell me please? it's alright for this, but I'd hate to miss becoming El Presidente, for example))

Sorry -- I'd assumed it had been previously discussed with you.