• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So there are not alot of pepole signing up to compete, thats sad, i want to see more competitors here.

What could i do to make this contest more apealing?
Please tell me your opinions and suggestions.

Not enough reward maybe?
What about 60.000 Blue Coins for the first price?
Thats enough to buy Victoria 2 on Gamersgate for example.

So be it.

The first place winner will recieve:

60.000 Blue Coins on Gamersgate.

2nd and 3rd place AAR´s will get:

30.000 Blue Coins and 20.000 Blue Coins on Gamersgate.

Hush hush writers, sign up for the win! ;)

Go and compete and give me something to read!
:)

If you have further questions or also suggestions on how to improve the contest, just post here.

Last edited:
Woooooooo! With a new prize, everyone should sign up! C'mon people, this is a chance to flex your AARing muscles! I'm not sure which muscles those are, but they need to be clenched regularly for proper health! :D ;) So get ye all here, and let's have us one heck of a writing party! If a shut-in like me can do it, you can too!

I suggest you remove ALL requirements, except two. (1. use MIP, 2. must be a new AAR) I'm sure people don't like to be told how to write.

Thank you for the suggestion :)

Its not my intention to tell anyone how to write.
I am just giving a guideline to make the AAR´s alittle even and judgable in a timely manner.
The Judges will have to read every AAR´s first 10 chapters, what if someone decides he writes 20000 words per chapter or only 10?
And the 2 chapters per week are there to make sure the AAR´s will get 10 chapters to judge to be eligible for the contest.

There have to be some restrictions, sorry if that feels too much, but in my opinion its neccesary.
I will handle these rules surly as flexible as possible, but some rules have to be there.

@Communitarian!:
Thank you for the enthusiasm :D

Last edited:
Hey, np. I love writing, and this gave me a great excuse to start an aar!... My goal is to try to keep trimming it down until it's contest-perfect, but given my luck, weeeellll. xD My hope is that I'll get to read lots more, and it'll also encourage me to comment more instead of being more of a lurker. As an example - I think my first chapter was 2102 words, this one was 1512, and I'm hoping to get into the 800-1200 next chapter. Plus, when I explode past chapter 10... All bets r' off! ;P

Tanzhang, I think you make a (very) valid point, but I also want my walls-of-text (if that's a writing style, I figure that it'd be my forte, heh) to be legible to judges; and given that this is actually for a contest, it's only fair to make it easier for judges who might not have too much time to have the first chapters be easier to read. Hrmn... Maybe I'll break up the first chapters into a smaller format... Anyway, keep posting, guys! I'm all fired up!

Actually... i thought about it, quite alot, and i decided to up the suggestion for the upper limit of words to 2000 words.

I really dont want to put too many limits on the writers and i want anyone be able to tell a good story,
but there has to be some limit, because those who judge also have limited time for it
and i cant put upon them the burden to read whole books, as good a read they might be ;)

So keep it under 2000 words per chapter if possible and it will be good :)

And thank you for the 2nd chapter Communitarian!, it was a good read again.

Last edited:
Might I suggest a compromise on length that might help some hesitant to participate? In truth, some might withdraw interest if they think they need to write even 10 chapters. We've had a few of these contests in the past and what seems to work the best is 1 to 3 posts per mini-AAR. With desire to see a graphics mod, one could see stretching it, but the goal would be short stories rather than novels. :) Maybe capping it with 5 or less instead of 10? An idea to consider.

You might also consider posting a link in OT, blogs or a social group.

Might I suggest a compromise on length that might help some hesitant to participate? In truth, some might withdraw interest if they think they need to write even 10 chapters. We've had a few of these contests in the past and what seems to work the best is 1 to 3 posts per mini-AAR. With desire to see a graphics mod, one could see stretching it, but the goal would be short stories rather than novels. :) Maybe capping it with 5 or less instead of 10? An idea to consider.

Ok, thank you for the advice, i can go with that.

So i adapt the rules:
At least 5 chapters are necessary to be eligible to win,
of course you can write as many chapters as you wish,
and if you write more then 5 then the first 10 chapters will go into the voting.
Also the update frequency necessary is reduced to at least 1 chapter in a week

I allready advertised in my Blog and in 2 social groups where its appropiate.
Not sure if i should advertise in the OT, i think about it, thank you :)

EDIT:
Not sure, maybe i could put a thread in the general Victoria 2 Forum?
I dont want to spam or annoy pepole with it, but i want pepole to see the contest (obviously).

Last edited:
I live in kind of a rural place, but I'll be glad to spread the word. Who knows, maybe there are secret paradoxians hidden around here?

Again, thanks for the rule changes; it'll make it a lot easier to enter. :) Hrmn, let's see - what else can I do to help promote this... I think posting in the OT'd be fine, I mean - it is a contest, with a verified prize and all the goodies of competition. It should be more exciting than the next round of Werewolf. ;P (If that's played in the OT here, seems like there's always a game most forums I go. That or Mafia.)

I'm thinking of starting a new AAR for this, but am mostly waiting on 1.2 before doing anything. I have quite a bit planned, but before moving into gameplay I want 1.2 =)

@Communitarian!:
Well, i guess after patch 1.2 is finally out we will see some more pepole joining up, thanks ;)
I am sure its more exciting than that Werewolf game, at least for me it is :D

@mjj55409:
Thank you for your participation, i will link your AAR in the first post.
Good Luck! :)

@TekcoR & tuore:
Thank you for the response, i hope to see your entrys soon (and the patch too ;) ).

Great to hear that, hope to read your entry soon, as well as seeing the patch myself :)

You allready tried out if my mod works on your Mac?

Last edited:
contestheader1.jpg

:)

I asked Castellon and he was so nice to grant me permission to post 3 threads,
one in the general Paradox & V2 Forums and one in the OT Forum :)

Love the recruitment poster - as an entry prize, will contestants recieve a pickelhaube? ;) hmn, I think 1.2's gonna kick things up a notch!

Status
Not open for further replies.