• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There's a spelling mistake in the title. I believe it should be "The Return to Outishmore".

You kiwis and your horrible puns.

I hvae noting againt kiws.

I think a mistake has been made here. j_L should have let pever call this "Mafia". Why? Public perception.

If people had come into the game expecting it to be very different from normal Werewolf, they would be more inclined to play.

By the way, I find it a touch annoying that noone protested against pever's rules before he posted the thread. He quite clearly posted an example set of rules, and while there was some general noisemaking against it, noone said a THING before he posted the thread despite several warnings that the game would be different. :(

I think a mistake has been made here. j_L should have let pever call this "Mafia". Why? Public perception.

If people had come into the game expecting it to be very different from normal Werewolf, they would be more inclined to play.

By the way, I find it a touch annoying that noone protested against pever's rules before he posted the thread. He quite clearly posted an example set of rules, and while there was some general noisemaking against it, noone said a THING before he posted the thread despite several warnings that the game would be different. :(

I think there are some who don't want change, however it's presented. As for me, to be blunt, I only played the last game for Vainglory. I'm hoping the changes will be what it takes to spark back some interest in what had been a rather tired status quo, at least to me.

The main critisism is valid, taii. If you go to play a game online you expect to have some kind of inkling what the rules are. Asking the GM to post a list of roles and traits should be a strange thing, because the GM at least posting a list with most of them is a common courtesy, not some kind of optional luxury.

The rules, roles etc themselves being different - fine, I can live with that. Not knowing or at least not having a bit of an idea what I'm in for? That's .. well, at least we have something of an idea now :p

As for people not reading the General thread - well, I for one am not surprised. A lot of people don't even read the rules before they start playing.
I told you guys from the start that the ride may be a bit bumpy. Why did these bumps come as a surprise?

Oh bloody hell, fine, I'll do it.

IN

But I won't enjoy it.

Won't be any trying unless we get the players... I don't understand this reluctance to even try, if it were a permanent change I'd understand the boycott, but this....
We've had some really poor games involving "hidden roles" which I think is the same as pevergreen's "closed setup" so I can understand the hesitation to join. I also think the combination of hidden roles with a lot of unfamiliar roles all at once might be a bit much for some potential players.

You must remeber that these Werewolf games are played for the enjoyment of the players and *not* for the enjoyment of the GM which is something that is often forgotten by more innovative GMs.

The size of the crowd you get for your games depends on how games you hosted earlier were perceived, how many friends/contacts you have at this forum, how many former player you spam/flatter/blackmail to join, how realiable a player you are, how fun/nice/polite/unpolite you are etc.

Or maybe it is all just because the skiing season? exams? the time for the deadline (personally I don't understand why people think that matters)?

In.

For this game I predict absolute chaos. With probably a small minority being really active and confusing the living hell out of the less active players.

I would also like some clarification on the following: Since it's not permitted to claim a role or hint towards a role in PM's. If I post my role in the thread, can I point towards that, since it's public information. Nothing like:
a post said:
The scanner must be really sleeping on the job since we haven't heard from him yet.
and then PM-ing
a PM said:
I am very sleepy
since that's clearly hinting, but something like
a post2 said:
I am the most awesome scanner in this game
a PM2 said:
I posted my role in post 2
or
a PM3 said:
I posted my role in the thread
or even
a PM4 said:
I am the most awesome scanner in this game
I am not sure about the rules here, since when something is stated both in thread and in PM it's no longer revealed privately. It seems your rules seem to be build around the premise that all information should be available publicly for everyone to use and once it's public it's free to use, however since in a PM it generally carries more weight if something is posted, I am not clear on your stance on this point.

You must remeber that these Werewolf games are played for the enjoyment of the players and *not* for the enjoyment of the GM which is something that is often forgotten by more innovative GMs.

You should put that in your signature, it's good advice.

In.

For this game I predict absolute chaos. With probably a small minority being really active and confusing the living hell out of the less active players.

I would also like some clarification on the following: Since it's not permitted to claim a role or hint towards a role in PM's. If I post my role in the thread, can I point towards that, since it's public information. Nothing like: and then PM-ing since that's clearly hinting, but something like or or even
I am not sure about the rules here, since when something is stated both in thread and in PM it's no longer revealed privately. It seems your rules seem to be build around the premise that all information should be available publicly for everyone to use and once it's public it's free to use, however since in a PM it generally carries more weight if something is posted, I am not clear on your stance on this point.

You are right, there is a bit of a gap there.

Once something has been posted in thread, you can use that information in any of your PMs. If someone claims scanner, or vigilante, you can say so in your PMs, but you can't then reveal the results privately, even if the person already knows you would be scanning.

Any public information (anything from this thread) is fine to go into a PM.

Regarding possible hidden roles: I've had the occasional silly role, but not inishmore. This game is based in reality.

This really should be renamed Mafia I as someone pointed out.
First of all because it is Mafia, not Werewolf.
Second, because as johho pointed out some people attract more players than others. A new player like pever doesn't know enough people here to amass the required amount of players when half of the regulars are going to stay out because it's not Werewolf. Calling it Mafia would also have allowed for the new influx of people to this forum to view this as something new rather than the same old Werewolf we have been doing for years. There would have been greater chances for new blood IMO.

And pevergreen, I will just give you a hint: You seem to treat this like one of many of your games, a sequel to some other game in some other place even. It isn't. Consider this the very first Mafia game on these boards, because AFAIK it is. Everything that anyone would need to know to play the game needs to be in the OP, for the sake of clarity. Perhaps you should consider an open setup for this game, just so the crowd can adjust?

In just because I'm playing this kind of set-up and need to cut my teeth on a more familiar audience.

Also, I would seriously advise the GM to adjust for a 20-ish person set-up instead, given that most current players WILL be unfamiliar with how this kind of game plays out.

meanwhile-in-australia.jpg

This really should be renamed Mafia I as someone pointed out.
First of all because it is Mafia, not Werewolf.
Second, because as johho pointed out some people attract more players than others. A new player like pever doesn't know enough people here to amass the required amount of players when half of the regulars are going to stay out because it's not Werewolf. Calling it Mafia would also have allowed for the new influx of people to this forum to view this as something new rather than the same old Werewolf we have been doing for years. There would have been greater chances for new blood IMO.

And pevergreen, I will just give you a hint: You seem to treat this like one of many of your games, a sequel to some other game in some other place even. It isn't. Consider this the very first Mafia game on these boards, because AFAIK it is. Everything that anyone would need to know to play the game needs to be in the OP, for the sake of clarity. Perhaps you should consider an open setup for this game, just so the crowd can adjust?

I agree with your second point but I disagree with your first. Mafia and werewolf are the same game, it's just that the set of rules on this board has been shaped by years of playing and the set on this other board has been shaped in a very different direction.

In a way, what pevergreen should have done is take the rules he's been using translate them to our vocabulary. Those kill points we had recently: everyone understood how they worked and in what way they changed the game as we play it, mainly because we could see the similarities.

But here, everything's being hidden behind the claim of a 'closed setup' and we can't see those simililarities, nor the differences. That's what's scaring people off, I think.

I agree with your second point but I disagree with your first. Mafia and werewolf are the same game, it's just that the set of rules on this board has been shaped by years of playing

Im not amercian Falc, im english, we may have started the same but were are of completely different sets of rules now, thus this game is MAFIA I

secondly, times have changed, this isnt the werewolf forum anymore, this is the OT games forum so again this should be called mafia not werewolf.

Thirdly why is Capt. Kiwi dressing up as an old school Reis91... when did this happen, you didnt have a swapzies party game.. not after the one many moons ago that left some Moderator with a huge headache and im sure some infliction points to dish out.

Fourthly, Euro should be appointed "The Saviour of Werewolf" and all games should to be hosted by him for the near future... when should elective hosting return you ask.. when we start treating werewolf with respect.

Fifthly, OUT i am going skiing in Bulgaria.. not snowboarding i hear you ask... no there Different rules

This is not a set in stone ruling but should be workable if the players cooperate. I can change the title over to mafia 1 and we can start a WW thread with the same number after getting another WW GM BBUUTT that WW game cannot start without this game ending. Terminology aside this is the same type of game with the same playerbase size goals. Timing should not be a huge issue as this game is unlikely to get 30-40 players unless a simply name change induces a load more to sign up. Pictures wont change any of this. :p

I will be back to this in a few hours if anyone else has any ideas/opinions/comments.