• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I must say, Paradox has come a long, long way regarding graphics in the past few years. Especially with the CK2 and Sengoku maps. I assume that from now on, all Paradox maps will feature proper elevation instead of being flat? I'm loving what you've done with terrain in these two games, a great improvement.

Looks really stunning so far! I bet you'll make some gorgeous samurai and ninja models :)

Ah, true that.

EDIT: Well, thinking a bit about this, I'm not sure how much of Hokkaido was "known". Yes, they probably knew there was an island up there, but not how big, and what precise shape. So, also from a gameplay point of view (only have lands that are needed for gameplay), I can understand the decision to keep Hokkaido out of the map.

This is probably a stylistic as well as historically based decision not to have Hokkaido. The Japanese were certainly aware of the island, but as previously stated, since it wasn't colonized until the Meiji Era, it was left off most maps of Japan. Almost every Sengoku game released in Japan leaves out Hokkaido as well, its just not part of that 'vision' of Japanese history.

So, have you folks played Sword of the Samurai, or...?
Also, I've concluded that it must be the air in Sweden that makes Paradox so interested in Japanese history.

Out of curiousity, how does one play this game in Windows 7? I have a downloaded zip, but when I extract it, the Start.exe doesn't do anything.

Sword of the Samurai is one of my favourite games, I am still hoping for a remake or spiritual successor one day...

Innocent Beard: Try using DOSBox for Sword of the Samurai, Win7 doesn't like DOS games without an emulator.

I haven't checked the thread to see if anyone else said anything, but I really like the portrait shown. Infact, it kind of makes me envious since CKII thus far has rather lackluster/poor portraits. Both games are in alpha so it kind of worries me. :(

The Great

No more, as seen in Dev Diary 6...

I didn't see this one coming. Definitely looking forward to it.

Yes, Sword of the Samurai is great stuff. It's neat to see others who have heard of, let alone played, it. :p

And the cover art...
sengoku_packshot_2d_esrbtmp_cd_lores.jpg

This cover art is made of pure effing awesome win.

The map looks great, the one criticism I have is that they do something about the drab sepia look of it all. I'd like to see more color in a game about this period.

EDIT: The cover art looks excellent.

Liking the look of the new map.

Very nice and appropriate for the game setting. :)