• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Blingerman

Second Lieutenant
82 Badges
Aug 3, 2009
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
I think this is a bug. Bishops should not be able to be married or be already married. They could only have the ability of having bastard children. I am frustated of seing my bishops looking for a fiancé or to be able to nominate bishops that are already married. Please fix it.

I think this is a bug. Bishops should not be able to be married or be already married. They could only have the ability of having bastard children. I am frustated of seing my bishops looking for a fiancé or to be able to nominate bishops that are already married. Please fix it.

it's really not that big a deal. it's the only way the game can reflect that some clergy simply didn't care

Because this was indeed possible until the around the 1120's. Fellow history buffs - back me up!

you are indeed correct

seconded. Papal Bull passed after the game start. I assume that if that bull was to happen during the period the game occurs, then we should get a notice or something. I thought it was in the 1300s and seem to be having trouble finding any more details..

edit: wiki saves the day. 1123 and then 1139 -
The Second Lateran Council (1139) seems to have enacted the first written law making sacred orders a diriment impediment to marriage for the universal Church.

In 1322 Pope John XXII insisted that no one bound in marriage—even if unconsummated—could be ordained unless there was full knowledge of the requirements of Church law. If the free consent of the wife had not been obtained, the husband, even if already ordained, was to be reunited with his wife, exercise of his ministry being barred

1120's and 1300's -> Everybody wins!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy

Last edited:
seconded. Papal Bull passed after the game start. I assume that if that bull was to happen during the period the game occurs, then we should get a notice or something. I thought it was in the 1300s and seem to be having trouble finding any more details

According to wikipedia it became canon law in 1139. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priesthood_(Catholic_Church)#Clerical_celibacy.

I'm not sure if it's important enough to make it an event in game and wouldn't do much for actual game play but could still be a nice add.

According to wikipedia it became canon law in 1139. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priesthood_(Catholic_Church)#Clerical_celibacy.

I'm not sure if it's important enough to make it an event in game and wouldn't do much for actual game play but could still be a nice add.

It wouldn't be a big change, but having Bishops not marry may mean less Bishops since they want to get down. Also less legitimate children from said Bishops and less marriages so it would change up your list of Courtiers.

It wouldn't be a big change, but having Bishops not marry may mean less Bishops since they want to get down. Also less legitimate children from said Bishops and less marriages so it would change up your list of Courtiers.

Probably not less Bishops just more bastards. Maybe it could lead to more events such as a Bishop asking you to look after/find a new home for his bastard etc.

Well, I didnt know that it was possible till 11XX. However, I still find it strange as the game lasts till 1453. Perhaps an event should fire to prevent it. Could this be modded?

Historically, bishops could marry during the early period of the game, but keep in mind, too, that this isn't a simulation of the period. It's a sim-flavored strategy game. The sim stuff is well-researched--I especially like the mind-bending distinctions between the two "persons" of the ruler, the individual, and the state--but it isn't meant to be completely accurate.