• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The religious conversion aspect makes sense, but I don't really agree with being able to change culture at the click of a button -- or indeed being able to request someone else do so. It's better if culture is handled generationally via education or specific events such as the English Melting Pot.

As a vassal I can convert at the click of a button.

If not at a single click, then I think the council action idea would work - it would take time, but by sending your councillor there to actively educate (as you say) it can happen quicker.

Either when converting to another culture or religion, there's a difference between an individual or a province. Converting a province should always take effort and could take generations.
On the individual level this is rather different, adopting another religion probably is the quickest; changing culture will take some more time, however people tend to only contemplate changing culture after they have been influenced by that culture for a while. For a minority this could be the dominant realm culture or the culture of the liege, however a definitive conversion probably is best at the end of an event chain or at least requires a few preconditions.

Move ALL diplomacy modifiers to defines.lua at the minimum.

Wishlist would be moving diplomacy itself out to moddability. So many aspects of the game hamstrung by the hardcoded diplomacy + modifiers.

Can be gotten around by a jury-rigged system of decisions + events but it's ugly as hell and I don't know why it wasn't moddable in the first place.

One thing I would like to see (though I'm not sure how likely it is to change at this point) would be to have England as Feudal Elective in 1066, but with an event changing it to Primogeniture if William wins. The event wouldn't need to fire if either of the Norse claimants become king because their realms are already Feudal Elective. I think that would be a good (and realistic) compromise.

Make the crusades more realistic in terms of Papal involvement. For instance, when I was playing as the Kingdom of Jerusalem the Papacy sent around 10, 00 men while everyone else sent about 500. Also make a modifier making it impossible for the Muslim countries to declare Holy War on the Ethiopian kingdoms. It is unrealistic how much the Shia Caliphate cares about them so it should be impossible to declare Holy War on the any Ethiopian Kingdoms.

1. I'd like to see the de jure kingdoms of empires be able to drift. I.e. the de jure kingdom of byzantium should be able to expand even though it is an empire.

2. Protectorates! I'd like to see the option to force states into becoming protectorates which could mean they could become a kind of one-sided alliance where the protectee is strongly obliged to join its protectorates' wars in return for tribute. The protectorates though would be more independent than vassals and no de jure drift could occur between them.

3. The ability to make vassals autonomous / independent without (too many) negative consequences provided it was not forced on the ruler.

I'd like them to FIX the Ruler Designer DLC. You spend time tweaking your ruler looks only to find once you start a new game it's been a waste of time. The look you were hoping to have is not there. It resets or something. Very irritating.

I really would like to see a kind of 'court notoriety' in terms of plotting introduced. It pains me to see naive disgruntled pretenders to the neighbour's throne meekly accepting invitation to a court where blood must be running like rivers - to, predictably, experience yet another 'suspicious accident'. This is plain stupid.

Someone should create a thread in order to unify all the criticism pointed towards CK II.

Three obvious and crucial things regarding the dynamics of gameplay:

1. No military access. This is particularly senseless. As an small Italian state I thought I was somewhat sheltered from the Islamic armies by the Norman states to my south through alliances with them. Furthermore I was just squashed by Genova, who out of nowhere declared war on me and marched halfway through Italy to invade me. You lose a lot of potential by leaving out such features. I was ready to become a diehard catholic loyalist if the The Papacy could secure my northern border by denying my enemies military access.

2. The Papacy seems to be without any real significance. I was hoping I could gain a little influence by at least pushing through a loyal cardinal or two. This was the case with Medieval II Total War, where you could take part in papal elections, although it was pretty simplistically executed.

3. Few ways to earn money. It would be nice to become a moneylender. Unpaid loans with interest rate would of course mean a casus belli.

EDIT: Nice mods...!

Last edited:
Someone should create a thread in order to unify all the criticism pointed towards CK II.

Three obvious and crucial things regarding the dynamics of gameplay:

1. No military access. This is particularly senseless. As an small Italian state I thought I was somewhat sheltered from the Islamic armies by the Norman states to my south through alliances with them. Furthermore I was just squashed by Genova, who out of nowhere declared war on me and marched halfway through Italy to invade me. You lose a lot of potential by leaving out such features. I was ready to become a diehard catholic loyalist if the The Papacy could secure my northern border by denying my enemies military access.

2. The Papacy seems to be without any real significance. I was hoping I could gain a little influence by at least pushing through a loyal cardinal or two. This was the case with Medieval II Total War, where you could take part in papal elections, although it was pretty simplistically executed.

3. Few ways to earn money. It would be nice to become a moneylender. Unpaid loans with interest rate would of course mean a casus belli.

EDIT: Nice mods...!

The Papacy is pretty significant. Try getting excommunicated and see what happens. :p Also, not sure why you bring up mods here, in a wishlist of features for the next patch, as that's something the users do, not Paradox.

I'd definitely appreciate more options to the Pope and development of the church in the game: cardinals, holy inquisition, more influence of Pope on catholic rulers and so on.

The Papacy is pretty significant. Try getting excommunicated and see what happens. :p Also, not sure why you bring up mods here, in a wishlist of features for the next patch, as that's something the users do, not Paradox.

Yes, and also the Anti-Pope feature is quite interesting, however there are still a lot of unused potential here in my opinion. The Papacy feels like a regular state in terms of collaboration. There should be lots of papal events. Regarding my edit; I just registered the game and discovered a lot of decent mods, partly satisfying some of these needs!:happy:

It seems like imprisoning, executing, or banishing someone shouldn't require that a ruler have piety greater than or equal to a certain value. For example, one needs to have at least 10 piety to imprison someone without cause, and 20 piety to execute someone. However, imprisoning and executing is exactly the kind of thing a ruler with -500 piety would do. So, instead of requiring that a ruler has a certain amount of piety, it should merely subtract that amount regardless of the ruler's starting piety value.

I'm not really an expert in game design and balance, but here are my two cents. Please feel free to criticize and contribute:

For simplicity's sake:

- A new Ruler Demesne map mode (which showed not only your ruler's, but also everyone else's (If I recall correctly, other rulers' titles can already be seen in their characters pages, but to find where their counties are located you need to click on each one of them, one at a time, which is somewhat cumbersome).

- The return of the game summary feature from EUIII that chronicled the history of your dynasty (and if possible, make it less repetitive and more like an actual history book).

- Give the "arrange marriage" UI a new tab/sorting option to more easily find out characters that would accept matrilineal marriages.

- The ability to search for characters by name, just like you can search titles

And for fun's sake:

- Some more permanent solution added to the intrigue mechanics when it comes to your dukes scheming against you. A sort of compromise between asking to end a plot and imprisonment, something that don't force me to choose between risking (yet another) rebellion, and asking my scheming duke to pretty please not steal the Kingdom of Ireland from me because I know EVERYTHING about his plan and his backers just for him to two weeks later start the same scheme again. Often with the same backers.

- The ability to rename your Kingdom (possibly at the cost of prestige, if there must for some reason be a cost involved) and, more ahistorically, for a ruler with sufficiently high prestige to create an entirely new Imperial/Kingdom title out of nowhere (I'm thinking a ruler being able to declare the Empire of Iberia, or somesuch) that wouldn't GIVE prestige when created, but COST a high (I'm thinking in the house of the thousand or two thousands) amount of prestige since it's basically your ruler being megalomaniac, and that would start VERY weak (relation penalties with both your dukes, your immediate neighbors and possibly The Pope, as well as increased revolt risk) but that would gradually stabilize itself and come to be accepted both internally and externally (perhaps by being sanctioned by the Pope).