• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Hi and welcome to a new dev diary. Today’s will be pretty short but contain a few pictures to make up for it!

Theater Interface

Many of you have noticed the new yellow button in the top menubar in previous screenshots and its contents is now in a state where it can be shown (although there are a few bits and pieces behind the scenes left to do so don’t take the numbers too seriously for now).

theatre.png

The idea behind this screen is to let you get an overview of how your theaters are doing with more detailed information about separate parts of the front. It also lets you browse your allies fronts to see what they are doing and if they run into problems (the green dots will go yellow or red when they are having difficulty). As you can see at the bottom of the screen England's Middle East Command theater has two fronts that are doing well although the Saudi Arabia one would like some more air-power. You can either give a command for building from here (and it will be assigned to the theater after construction) or request spare units from a nearby theater if any are available. There is also a stance shown each front where you can experiment with attack or defense and get feedback for that front. For example the Polish defensive front towards Germany as the war starts would report that it does not have enough men to mount a sufficient defense and expect the lines to collapse shortly. There is also some general information about the theater at the top, you can for example see where AI theaters are planning invasions and from where they plan to stage them from.

Other Goodies

We have also been keeping our ear to the forum and fixed two things people have been requesting. First of all many of you start off a game by reorganizing leaders and we have made this simpler. There is now a button for unassigning all your leaders with one click.

leaders.png

The second thing is making the OOB browser a bit more useful. You can now drag-and-drop directly from deployment window into the browser and this works for both divisions and brigades so you can reinforce existing divisions with new brigades much easier.

deploy.png

Can we set objectives for each allied HQ instead of just their country as a whole through the new theatre screen, or can we just view information on them?

Rest of the changes look great.

Glad to see the ability to drag and drop to the OOB.

Can you please PLEASE PLEASE give us the ability to filter officer traits when assigning leaders? IE just show "panzer leaders".

wow comsubpac got beaten to first post for once :D good job DoomBunny! its mainly an information screen for allied theatres so you can not give more detailed orders, however we will be looking into making allied objectives count as more important for the AIs but I'm not making any promises until we tried.

@lobosrul I'm aware of the problem with a lack of leader filter. Its at the top of the todo-if-we-get-time-over list so its not forgotten.

I know it's a bit late in the game to mention this but I would like to see the "Build" button be more than an all or nothing approach. I normally don't want to swamp my production que with one theatre and leave all the other ones out. This becomes more relevant depending on who you play, USSR being the worst offender. Maybe click on the unit pic in that window then request quantity then it builds. Otherwise I'll probably continue to do it all manually :(

Looks good.

Fixing those small annoyances like unassigning all leaders in one go makes the game much less of a chore to play. Would be great if you could spare the time to do more of these, like organizing the ships losses / land battle loss screens like what have been suggested on the forums. Currently it is all clutter, which could be resolved by clever use of color codes and organizing losses for each side on left/right.

Keep up the good work.

Awesome DD! Great interface improvements.

I have several questions, though.

1. How are the fronts determined?
2. What is "Front planning"?
3. How does "Assign spare" option work? Do we deploy units from the force pool or what?
4. Can we attach divs to HQs in the production screen?
5. Is the "Build" order improved or will it still build strange divisions like 3xLARM?

It looks really good. Some surface improvement which we all can useful need.

Just a question fist. Is this theatre tab with these green and red points also available for sub-command HQ's?
Its only possibly with theatres or also with a Heeresgruppe Mitte for example?

Greetings

I know it's a bit late in the game to mention this but I would like to see the "Build" button be more than an all or nothing approach. I normally don't want to swamp my production que with one theatre and leave all the other ones out. This becomes more relevant depending on who you play, USSR being the worst offender. Maybe click on the unit pic in that window then request quantity then it builds. Otherwise I'll probably continue to do it all manually :(
Yes, I agree. The "build" button is adequate for theaters that are somewhere other than where the action is and where the requirements are low -- and even then I tend to edit what it chooses to build -- but for your front-line needs you have to control it yourself. Don't know whether there's an opportunity to give this any attention.

wow comsubpac got beaten to first post for once :D good job DoomBunny! its mainly an information screen for allied theatres so you can not give more detailed orders, however we will be looking into making allied objectives count as more important for the AIs but I'm not making any promises until we tried.

@lobosrul I'm aware of the problem with a lack of leader filter. Its at the top of the todo-if-we-get-time-over list so its not forgotten.

i knew i shouldn't have read the DD first... :D

I would crawl over broken glass to kiss the feet of whoever made the final decision to add the one-button leader-removal tool. I have been begging for this for years. THANK YOU!

'We have also been keeping our ear to the forum and fixed two things people have been requesting. First of all many of you start off a game by reorganizing leaders and we have made this simpler. There is now a button for unassigning all your leaders with one click.'

nice!:)

'The second thing is making the OOB browser a bit more useful. You can now drag-and-drop directly from deployment window into the browser and this works for both divisions and brigades so you can reinforce existing divisions with new brigades much easier.'

awesome!:D

these two additions alone will save thousands of mouse clicks.

Statistics/Ledger

All these additions are great! Im exited about 'For the Motherland' ... I cant wait! :)

Q: Do you have any plan to improve the functions of the Statistics/Ledger interface?
What I mean is for example if it could be possible to click on a name of a General (while inside the Statistics/Ledger) and get straight to that General in the Leaders Organizer or to that General's Division (on the map)?

The Ledgers used to be more advanced on earlier HoI games I think.

Last edited: