• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pavo Krispin stands quietly and motions for the current speaker to be quiet, he then says in an eloquent voice...

"Senator Krupt, it is my belief to first hear everyone else's opinion and their plan of action, before stating my opinion and plans...I will be addressing the chambers shortly..."

~ Pavo Krispin ~

Senator Erodel's motion is most commendable, we should send a diplomat forward to warn Eurpan. Eurpan should not be allowed to grow any stronger than it is now, but neither should Eurpanxo be allowed to grow stronger - For this reason, we should also send a warning to Eurpan, telling both these nations that the might of our military will fall on either of them should they go to war with the other.

- Alexite Wardoxan

"Are the Eurpans not in reasonably good relations with the Norrans, and they are both our rivals, so they may unite if we seek hostilities with either of them. Anywho, it is foolish to be trying to make enemies with everybody around us, as that would just make us a target. We need to deal with the enemies we already have. We should seek an alliance with the Eurpanxo, as a preventative measure against the Eurpans."- Auron Desimodius

I see the hawkish plutocrats have decided, despite disowning responsibility for the frontier, undermining the aristocrats who DO take that responsibility, and filling their own coffers with the prosperity bought with the blood of the commoners, to make enemies of the entire continent. As if your will and loud voices can accomplish what the devoted lives of our ancestors have failed to do for 10,000 years! No, Auron speaks the truth - seek friends, not enemies.

((To the leaders of the Populares and the so-far unnamed Merchant Party; I need your party platforms. As I told Maxwell500: I need "Goals, slider opinions, name if the party doesn't have one. General "feel" to the party. Maybe a history. It is up to you."))

Atlantis!
Name:Erodel Krupt
Patron: Beaumerlin
Background: This guy came out of nowhere!

Ostarian Llan on the future war with teh Urollan horde

"We, are on the brink of war. Every day, every hour, every minute, every second we draw just a little bit closer to an inevitable war with the Urollan hordes. I predict that before the decade is out, we will have a war on our hands. Now, war is a dangerous thing, even after all teh fighting is said and done. While many are arguing about how the Urollans should be treated, my peers seem to have a unanimous view. Conquer the horde. This, I strongly believe, would bring about at least a century of near-constant warfare across Atlantis. The sudden removal of one of the main powers upon Atlantis would cause a sudden shift in the balance of power, and more importantly, a massive power vacuum that each and every Azlanti state would try to fill. Instead, we should simply teach the Urollans not to mess with us, not to trifle and stay away from our borders. Force a fairly large tribute from their leaders, until they regain the courage to strike again. We'd be forced to fight many a war against hte Urollans because of this, but it is truly a better alternative than risking an age of endless war upon Azlanti. I would hope my peers would hear me out and stand with me against this madness."

-Ostarian Llan

Marcellus Smigt (pronounced sch-might)
Culture: Northern blood but tempered by a cosmopolitan lifestyle and background, so considers himself an Azlanti
Born: 15th April 1310 ((though they wouldn't have used the Gregorian calender...))
Profession: High Judge in the Court of Appeal, the highest court in the Republic ((I imagine the city is rather like Rome, just later in time...))
Patron God: Advisor Baltor
Background: Raised in one of the city's wealthiest families, Marcellus received the best education money could buy. At the age of 19, his father's company collapsed amid a scandal orchestrated by some embittered rivals at the merchant's guild. Eager for justice he pursued them to court, where, despite losing to their lawyers bought with dirty money, he went on to have a distinguished career, first as a barrister and then as a judge, fighting corruption in his own profession being his favourite achievement.
Political views: Marcellus surprisingly holds little anger towards the merchants, but does try to fight corruption and immoral behaviour wherever he sees it. He is a strong advocate of law and order, hoping for a muscular state that policies its subjects strongly and as such has autocratic leanings, favouring order and centralisation over innovation.

Last edited:
((To the leaders of the Populares and the so-far unnamed Merchant Party; I need your party platforms. As I told Maxwell500: I need "Goals, slider opinions, name if the party doesn't have one. General "feel" to the party. Maybe a history. It is up to you."))
Mercators.

Sliders:
+1 Centralised/Decentralised.
+5 Aristocracy/Plutocracy.
+2 Serfdom/Free Subjects.
-3 Innovative/Narrowminded.
+5 Mercantilism/Free Trade.
0 Offensive/Defensive.
+2 Land/Naval.
-3 Quality/Quantity.

Leadership:
as of yet unelected
Pavo Tsharthagion.

Senators:
declare yourself a Mercator for admission
Pavo Tsharthagion.
Solangus Balvaksin.
Alexite Wardoxan.
Erodel Krispin.

The Mercators claim representation of the Atlantean bourgeoisie, primarily the commercial class and traders' guilds: defined by their opposition to the nobility, despite their own proto-aristocratic sentiments, they demand a Merchants' Republic based upon free commerce and scientific innovation with an elite, navally-orientated military.​

"Senators," began Pavo. "How can we doubt the neccesity of enslaving the Urollans? They are barbarous corruptions of the Atlantean ideal, and I assure this hall that they are the nadir of civilisation: animals, brutes, simply managed and coerced into service. Fierce though they may be, their little minds will never understand a state of slavery, and if we must fight for our western sovereignty we must: and gentlemen, I seek an alternative to a state income funded by commercial activity which does not manifest as brutal taxation that no man will clamour in favour of. "

"Senator Llan, would you support a tribute of slaves and gold, or one? I promise this Senate, a ready flow of slaves would sell extraordinarily across the continent."

Pavo thanked the Senators who had declared their support of him for Imperator, and invited them to the Mercator party. He erred on the Eurpanxo issue; he was Eurpan, if only racially.

"I must concur, on Eurpanxo, with Senator Desimodius: the other Atlanteans are our true brothers, and," he winked. "Our loyal customers. The republic must seek an era of peace between the true Atlantean nations, whilst maintaining its guard fast and strong to warn off threats to ourselves and our allies; an era of peace defined by Azlanxo's commercial domination and a continental balance-of-power."

Last edited:
"A tribute of gold. I do not support the enslavement or even conquest of the Urollans. Would it be worth the trouble? If these "barbarians" are as volatile and wild as you claim, would they not simply rebel? Any man can tell when he is a slave, or expected to be one. If we simply forced them into a tributary state, we would have clear, defined borders and leaders to strike at, whilst a slave rebellion would take weeks, months, to discover how to properly deal with them."

-Ostarian Llan

"Is all you care about gold!? They are Atlanteans! They are not products for us to force into slavery and sell, they have their own free will! May I remind you that we have, as you refer to them, a "brute" in our very senate!? How can you call the Urollans brutes when they clearly have an understanding of politics, which would imply they have knowledge of other things, and thus would know they were being enslaved. I fear for our fellow Atlanteans if you are to ever come into power Pavo."- Auron Desimodius

"I am outraged by the sentiments Senator Tsharthagion is espousing; this is precisely the brutish behaviour the merchants and their radical political wing should be avoiding lest they become famed for their self-interest and naivity. The people of Uroll are exactly that, people, and deserve to be treated as such. Military action should not be taken out of greed, but if they attack, we should reply in kind. When we emerge victorious, the people should not be oppressed and enslaved, but given the same political and legal rights as those we enjoy in our fair city, else we will unite the continent against us and become seen as murdering, oppressive, totalitarian fools - though undoubtedly the merchants would think this was 'good for business'!" - Marcellus Smigt

"Is all you care about gold!? They are Atlanteans! They are not products for us to force into slavery and sell, they have their own free will! May I remind you that we have, as you refer to them, a "brute" in our very senate!? How can you call the Urollans brutes when they clearly have an understanding of politics, which would imply they have knowledge of other things, and thus would know they were being enslaved. I fear for our fellow Atlanteans if you are to ever come into power Pavo."- Auron Desimodius

"We have only a few Urollans amongst us here today, not enough to be proof of the savages so called "intelligence", and even so, they are but a few special cases in an otherwise brutal and stupid culture of beasts and animals. I would also like to add, good sir, that I do not take kindly to having them be called 'my fellow atlantians' , you may think what you want of your own relation to them, but I can assure I have no relatives amongst those animals rapeing and pillaging my countrymen!"

"Senator Smigt, your outrageous claims regarding the true motives of the Mercators have no truth to them! We merchants despise bloodshed and war, as it limits our options of trade and commerce. I remember, as a shepard, I would dread the day when the aristocrats and nobles decided to go to war over the most insignificant of slights against their 'honor'" Solangus scoffs "Whenever the nobles and generals wanted to play their games, the peasants and merchants would always suffer most! Everytime the nobles had their wars, bandits and raiders would land ashore and take whatever wasn't nailed down! Would I get compensation from the nobles? No. Would I get it from the generals? No, the nobles and soldiers simply wished for more blood, regardless of who it hurt."

"War isn't good business for merchants, it is good business for the aristocrats and the miliants."

-Solangus

((Also, add me to the Mercators))

Last edited:
"Then why are the merchants fervent supporters of war? Surely, if the interests of the people of Atlantis to avoid bloodshed are the same as your own, then you would prefer dialogue rather than this barbarous typecasting and agression? If the merchants really were looking to help the people of Atlantis, rather than themselves, they would see that their support for the institution of slavery, which would bring suffering to many and economic troubles to far more, is totally illogical? Yet they do not; they are sounding the call to war before it's time, they are being just as imperialist as the aristocracy ever was, not for blood and glory, but for blood money and the glory of gold." - Marcellus Smigt

Last edited:
((Sort of, but it would change how much the government would push them once war has been declared by the horde and how it is approached in story as aggression on our or their part...))

((Well the game hasn't started yet, so really we could be arguing for the starting of a war, but regardless we will be at war by the time the game starts. whether we oppose it or not, I just like to imagine we are having this discussion when the horde makes the choice for us))

Status
Not open for further replies.