• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well then, in a mirror image of my previous post, how do I boost the ability of the Axis/Comintern to make things harder as player UK or USA? Free techs, resources, fiddle with initial builds?

well there is the difficult setting from vanilla hoi to begin with
in order to limit your own country (I always play with normal and never fiddle with the aggressiveness because weird stuff is bound to happen, trust me)
and/or
the AI settings at the start of your campaign at which the mod set some boni for the other countries.

I would suggest (if you ain't a demi-god at hoi ofc)
for areal challenge with US or UK:

- play on normal vanilla difficult
- chose a harder setting at the start of the campaign to give the AI some boost
(you can fire the event again if you're in the middle of an campaign however I don't know if those boni will work as intended
event 780770
(for US)
event 780250
(for UK)

- restrict yourself to some houserules like

-- Save/Reload: No matter how badly a battle unfolds, refrain from going back to a saved game.
-- Slow Down: Since the AI adjusts slowly to deep penetrations, have a "cooling off" period of a few days for your units.
-- No Pause: do not use the pause button during battle, do not slow down time during battle: allow yourself to have a slow response time to changing conditions, to give the AI a chance
-- No Spamming: No massive infantry spamming, no massive CAS death-star, no cruizer-zerg spamming, no factory spamming
-- Acceptall cheat: Often, the AI won't accept a peace deal that it truly should. Thus, use this cheat to save the AI from its own stupidity, only when not accepting peace mean certain and quick annexation.
-- Unit diversity: make an army with a diversity of units, with brigades.
-- Aircraft: do not use ground attack missions
-- Historical: stick to historical events at least until 1939, if not until 1941.

again,
for UK - historic timeline, no Overlord on your own, if SU steamrolls GER then try to deal with SU only after 45, only build some IC prewar.
for US - historic timeline, don't be aggressive before Pearl Harbour, no add. IC buildup, strat bomber campaign > inf. spam on the fun meter
however IIRC with US it won't be a real challenge per se, sleeping giant and such...

I tried the mod33 beta out of curiosity, playing as Germans as I'm most comfortable as them, and the Soviets declared war on me and quickly flooded me. :eek:

It was simply stunning how much men they had in the field. I had an alliance with all the Balkans, Iberia, and Japan, and eliminated all Allies except the African colonies, Indians, Aussies, and Americans. Their landing attempts were pathetic, held back by maybe 36 units total, out of over 200.

Almost all my attention was on beating the bear, ready for Barbarossa.... And they declared war on me, just a few months early, and taking away my deserved bonus. :mad: I think Germany deserves a hefty bonus if they're actually not the aggressors. Maybe not initially, but at some point.

I managed a few good encirclements, taking out maybe 30-40 units, but eventually they started to pile on sheer mass. The only major city I managed to take was Leningrad, largely due to bad AI defense (they had no reason to pull back from it). Besides that, I was only able to hold at the river. They eventually broke through the southern side, puppeted my pathetic Balkan allies, and surged through Bohemia. :eek:o

That extra 18 months or so helps the USSR a hell of a lot more than it helps, well, anyone else. Losing on normal difficulty is hard to take. :( I'll have to try again, with air power abuse, because it doesn't look like a 6 month blitz is viable with 33 beta. If I do somehow beat them next attempt, I'll probably be too late to stop the US from nuking me, but that's the next step. :p

I don't know if the latest (1.0) version is broken or not, but I play with Doomsday 1.3/Mod34 - as U.K.

I have a hard time gettin all my resources in balance; previous versions wasn't hard nor easy, but this is ridiculous! From start, a lot of oil reserves steady going up - then have to trade for others resources; then balance it out so I maybe can go for IC (6.5 each, so only ONE is avaiable)...

But then, BOOM! NO oil reserves, and energy resource -100 - -300 in 3 months of time (per day...), and the oil, almost the same amount of negative figures.

It's same for all scenarios; you start pretty hard, then fail totally 8and I'm not an inexperienced HOI player, usually go hard on difficulty).

The previous version never had these problems. Have I installed it wrong or is the version broken?

I don't know if the latest (1.0) version is broken or not, but I play with Doomsday 1.3/Mod34 - as U.K.

The previous version never had these problems. Have I installed it wrong or is the version broken?
Mod34 is not compatible with the 1.3 beta patches for ARMA -- if you are not using that it should work I think for all earlier versions of HOI2 -- even doomsday 1.3. See the post quoted below:

Is this compatible with ARMA 1.3 beta?

Sorry, but not, because the last 1.3beta remove some features very importants for the mod34.

I will adapt the mod34 to the 1.3 only when the 1.3 restore this features (are very important for the mod34)

Sorry

I have a hard time gettin all my resources in balance; previous versions wasn't hard nor easy, but this is ridiculous! From start, a lot of oil reserves steady going up - then have to trade for others resources; then balance it out so I maybe can go for IC (6.5 each, so only ONE is avaiable)...

But then, BOOM! NO oil reserves, and energy resource -100 - -300 in 3 months of time (per day...), and the oil, almost the same amount of negative figures.

It's same for all scenarios; you start pretty hard, then fail totally 8and I'm not an inexperienced HOI player, usually go hard on difficulty).

You might try scrapping some of the UK's massive fleet. It has lots of clunker ships that are obsolete to start out with, let alone by the time war starts.

Unit values reset upon annexation. That's what the "Standard" is for. Since Mod34 has techs that alter unit values, this is mandatory. The 1.3 Beta Patch removes that feature.

Could you tell us what exactly those features are ?
Tough to read through all these post here... but starting with page 132 or so and on there is a discussion about this...to summarize it:

Mod34 relies on an update unit stat feature of the hoi2.exe engine to update unit stats when certain new techs have been researched. This is one reason why the "standard annexes standard" thing happens every day -- to ensure that units are updated properly. However, this update of units feature of the game turns out to be a programming code remnant from the original hoi1 game, and it was just left in the vanilla hoi2 game by the developers, even though hoi2 did not use it at all. But clever mods like Quintelosky have made use of this old feature for their mods. Unfortunately, the team that made the latest ARMA beta 1.3 updates decided to remove the old feature, perhaps thinking it was no longer needed -- but obviously it is needed for mod34 as Quintelosky and others have said in earlier post in this thread.

hope that helps.

Been playing as Argentina and found out that I've been getting non stop CTDs.

Just went through a game as Germany and the Soviet Union without a crash, while Argentina has been a nightmare. Took a peep into the history file and what did I discover? It was the Festive (i.e. annual celebration) events that were causing all the headaches. Deleted the event file and haven't had a crash since.

You think it could be due to a file corruption or a virus?

Tough to read through all these post here... but starting with page 132 or so and on there is a discussion about this...to summarize it:

Mod34 relies on an update unit stat feature of the hoi2.exe engine to update unit stats when certain new techs have been researched. This is one reason why the "standard annexes standard" thing happens every day -- to ensure that units are updated properly. However, this update of units feature of the game turns out to be a programming code remnant from the original hoi1 game, and it was just left in the vanilla hoi2 game by the developers, even though hoi2 did not use it at all. But clever mods like Quintelosky have made use of this old feature for their mods. Unfortunately, the team that made the latest ARMA beta 1.3 updates decided to remove the old feature, perhaps thinking it was no longer needed -- but obviously it is needed for mod34 as Quintelosky and others have said in earlier post in this thread.

hope that helps.

Just to reference, the Annexation to update stats still works, at least in 1.3b. I was curious because I'd seen other mods use it that also work on 1.3b, so I booted up Mod33 (one of those that uses 1.3b and uses the Annexation function) and it worked just fine.

Edit:
Plus, if they ever did remove it, there is no reference in the changelog for either patch.

ok a new problem. i´m italy and i have a ss fleet stationed in kiel. they sank some convoys and went ( dont know why?) back to kiel. i only noticed it because of a battle in the channel on their way back to the combat zone(argh).
i restarted and brought them back manually but now when i give the order naval interdiction then they sail back to kiel. i have the same problem with a battleshipfleet. some divisions of mine are attacking gibraltar and i gave the order shore bomb. and they set a course bacl to their homebase. i mean the are allready near gibraltar why can these stupid ----- --------- --- -------------------- dogs not do what i ordered them to do.
im sure im missing some supply thing or whatever?

ok a new problem. i´m italy and i have a ss fleet stationed in kiel. they sank some convoys and went ( dont know why?) back to kiel. i only noticed it because of a battle in the channel on their way back to the combat zone(argh).
i restarted and brought them back manually but now when i give the order naval interdiction then they sail back to kiel. i have the same problem with a battleshipfleet. some divisions of mine are attacking gibraltar and i gave the order shore bomb. and they set a course bacl to their homebase. i mean the are allready near gibraltar why can these stupid ----- --------- --- -------------------- dogs not do what i ordered them to do.
im sure im missing some supply thing or whatever?

Are you telling them to stop if their strength/morale falls below a certain point? That's something I usually just set to 0, since I find that if they go down in flames they take down more of the enemy with them. :p It's annoying having a damaged fleet take months to repair; I would rather have a sunk fleet that hurts the AI badly enough to shut them down for a long time. They recover from massive fleet destruction much worse than a human player.

problem

when i install 1.0 whent it downloads the mod 34 exe .an error happens about not reading url or something like this and it starts again downloading.there must be a problem with extras.i tried to download them seperatly and i couldnt

Last edited: