• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That is not as intended! I'll take a look at the event later today. As long as a province is held by any christian, the Pope should be happy.

Is it possible that Antiochea used to be a muslim, and recently converted?

Sorry, I dont know. :(

Could be ofcourse, but I did not pay attention to the area until the event fired

I think it is save the say that the only ones who dispute this are Bulgarian sources. In the books I mentioned it is stated as facts. :)

"safe" you mean. And don't give me that anti- attitude, the logic that our sources are biased more than the western or byzantine ones is seriously flawed. And do you take everything you read as a fact?

Anyway I said I won't argue for this, there is some truth of course, after all bulgarians were mixed up and had rulers with vlach and cuman blood. I was simply saying that you can't be certain about the Asens specifically.

Probably been asked before, but:

The Duchy of Aquitaine does not have any inheritance laws at the beginning ogf the 1066 scenario. Is this intended??

Nice map!
Seeing some weirdness there... I'll have to look at some provinces' history a little better (#116 seems strange, as are #577 & #700)

Hi jord,
Sorry for the late answer. I forgot to check this thread again.
As for the provinces, yes they do look odd, but the files really are set up like this. 577 is a Mordvin province smack in the middle of Russian provinces, and 116 is an enclave in the otherwise Germanic speaking region.

577 is especially weird because in some of the later scenarios the Mordvin enclae is moved one province forther north.

I recently re-did the map in a nicer format, and because it was fun I also did the maps for some other scenarios as well as for province income. I will post them when I get back home some time tonight or tomorrow. There are some inconsistencies which I had not noticed earlier, like the enclaves moving to other places, and some cultures being centered on different provinces in the various scenarios.

Hey guys, I just had a quick question and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I recently bought CK+DV as part of that online sale and installed this mod because it seemed to be recommended by folks on the messageboard, promised a more historically accurate start, that's all good and I'm having fun with the game and mod.

It's just that there are a few events that repeatedly do massive damage to the stats of the king's children and other kids in my court. I read that these were put in there to increase the difficulty and only occur for the player and not the AI dynasties. Since this is my first game I would like to get rid of these or at least edit the percentages of losing 3-4 points off a single attribute.

I browsed through some of the text files in the events directory but couldn't find them. Could tell me what file they are in?

cultures setup in the DVIP scenarios:
(click to see full size 2285x1440 GIF images, about 150 kbytes each)

1066:

1187:

1204:

1337:

a map of the province income levels with the DVIP mod:
(click to see full size 2285x1440 GIF image, 150 kbytes)

For the color coding, I chose colors that are fairly close together so that you get a good quick impression of which areas are rich and which are not. A color scale is added on the upper right side.

cultures setup in the DVIP scenarios:
(click to see full size 2285x1440 GIF images, about 150 kbytes each)

1066:

1187:

1204:

1337:

a map of the province income levels with the DVIP mod:
(click to see full size 2285x1440 GIF image, 150 kbytes)

For the color coding, I chose colors that are fairly close together so that you get a good quick impression of which areas are rich and which are not. A color scale is added on the upper right side.
i can i get that map making program from you.

@Leviathan07: awesome!
At a glance:
-Estonian (Finnish) culture missing from 1187>
-Sames in Northern Russia 1187>
-Lithuanian <1337
-Wends in 1337
-Basques 1066/1337 vs 1187/1204
-Arabs in Casablanca 1066>
-Croat province in Bulgaria 1337 (forgot to change this one)
-Croat/Serb province jumping in culture
-Mordvin "enclave" in Russia 1066/1187
-Dutch culture 1187/1204
-Fins (Finland) in 1337
-Trebizond
-Turks (will have to look at their historic spread towards Constantinople -- I suspect some Cuman provs 1187> ought to be Turk)

This will come in very handy for the next update.

i can i get that map making program from you.

Well I can tell you what software I used:

For the actual painting of the map, I used Paint Shop Pro X, which is for sale in Media Markt for 9€.

For extracting a list of the province cultures from the scenario files I used the GNU Emacs text editor which is available for free on the web. (the files are very long so I deleted everything but the lines with "id = ..." and "culture = ...".).

For generating the maps for 1187, 1204 and 1337 I didn't actually go through the whole list of provinces again, instead I had a program compile me a list of differences between the 1066 data and the 1187 data, the program is WinDiff which is also for free on the web.

The template I used was made by Gratianus and is available here http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215713.

The actual painting of the map was done by hand, using creatively some of the Paint Shop Tools such as multiple layers to create maps of the various scenarios (make layer 1 visible to see the 1066 map, then to see the 1187 map activate layer 2 which contains only the respective changes, and so on...) and the vector drawing feature which I used to set up auxillary layers such as the one which holds the province ID numbers. If you want I can send you my base file which contains all of that, it is in Paint Shop Pro format though (*.pspimage) so you'd have to invest 9€ to get PSP X.

Last edited:
@Leviathan07: awesome!
At a glance:
-Estonian (Finnish) culture missing from 1187>
-Sames in Northern Russia 1187>
-Lithuanian <1337
-Wends in 1337
-Basques 1066/1337 vs 1187/1204
-Arabs in Casablanca 1066>
-Croat province in Bulgaria 1337 (forgot to change this one)
-Croat/Serb province jumping in culture
-Mordvin "enclave" in Russia 1066/1187
-Dutch culture 1187/1204
-Fins (Finland) in 1337
-Trebizond
-Turks (will have to look at their historic spread towards Constantinople -- I suspect some Cuman provs 1187> ought to be Turk)

This will come in very handy for the next update.

You're welcome! :)
As for the Casablanca Arabs, I always thought it was meant to represent an Arabic court in the Maghreb or something... :D
Never thought of it as a bug, actually.

My personal view is that province culture should only represent the language and culture of the upper classes because those are the ones from which game characters are recruited... i.e. the families of the local counts, the wandering knights in search of fame, etc. Not necessarily the language of the actual population in the province which lives their lives regardless of what the kings and barons are doing.

I also found the income map particularly useful to realize how poor the main crusading target (Jerusalem and surroundings) actually are. Egypt and Tunesia are so much better areas for the foundation of a feasible crusader country.

Also, how blesses Georgia is in its starting position. It only needs to conquer a few pagan provinces north of its main land and can double its troop strength. Then go take Itil from the isolated Khazars and you are on par with the Flemish or Kievan kings in terms of wealth.

Are Alania, Kasogs and Tmutarakan really meant to be so rich?? I thought it was all nomad land in the middle ages. I know there were a bunch of places that got really rich from the Rus-Arabs trade but it seems a bit exaggerated.

Jord, when will the More Kingdoms with the Wales map be updated (without the dent in the kids education thing that always seems to plaugue me? :eek: )

I havent been able to play really since before. And I can't play without the updated Wales map.

Well I can tell you what software I used:

For the actual painting of the map, I used Paint Shop Pro X, which is for sale in Media Markt for 9€.

For extracting a list of the province cultures from the scenario files I used the GNU Emacs text editor which is available for free on the web. (the files are very long so I deleted everything but the lines with "id = ..." and "culture = ...".).

For generating the maps for 1187, 1204 and 1337 I didn't actually go through the whole list of provinces again, instead I had a program compile me a list of differences between the 1066 data and the 1187 data, the program is WinDiff which is also for free on the web.

The template I used was made by Gratianus and is available here http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215713.

The actual painting of the map was done by hand, using creatively some of the Paint Shop Tools such as multiple layers to create maps of the various scenarios (make layer 1 visible to see the 1066 map, then to see the 1187 map activate layer 2 which contains only the respective changes, and so on...) and the vector drawing feature which I used to set up auxillary layers such as the one which holds the province ID numbers. If you want I can send you my base file which contains all of that, it is in Paint Shop Pro format though (*.pspimage) so you'd have to invest 9€ to get PSP X.
i guess send me the file and i will go head buy the program. Too bad i can't read german.

edit: i guess i can use the culture map 1187 and use paint to change it. thank you for your help anyways.

Last edited:
You know Jord, Galloway and Carrick are not even part of Scotland in 1187 (politically). They are ruled by semi-independent Gaelic lords and are entirely Gaelic in culture. Both Galloway and Carrick are Gaelic speaking until at least the 16th century. Also, the term "Scotland" means the land between the Firth of Forth and Caithness. That is, Strathclyde and Lothian are not part of Scotland (though ruled by the king), and Galloway and Carrick certainly aren't (not ruled by the king until the 1230s, though there was periodic overlordship; and note Donnchad, son of Gille Brigte, the first earl/mormaer of Carrick was given this territory -- taken from Lochlann/Roland -- by Henry II against the will of the Scottish king). I.e. there's neither political nor cultural nor terminological reason to make either province "[Anglo-]Scottish" at this point.

Hate to be a nuisance on this point. :)

Mar is an almost entirely Highland earldom (though such a concept didn't exist for centuries to come), but Buchan (where Mar is on the CK map) is entirely Gaelic-speaking c. 1210. There are some charters from the period William Comyn, husband of the daughter of Mormaer Fergus, and all the locals have Gaelic names. This is likewise the case in Angus and Fife even in the 1250s. There was no extensive immigration to Scotland north of the Forth (Fife and northwards) until the 1170s, so virtually all foreigners in the region. 1204 were born and raised somewhere else. The apparently "Englishness" of the Scottish kingdom is caused by the high visibility of French-speaking mercenaries at the court of the king, his promotion of French and Anglo-French clerics (like William de Malveisin, Jocelin, etc) and the extensive amount of English-speaking demesne in Lothian, Clydesdale, Teviotdale, Northumberland and of course the wealthiest and most populous territory of all, the earldom of Huntingdon. I've probably said this before somewhere, but I don't remember. Those maps just prompted me. :)

Last edited:
i guess send me the file and i will go head buy the program. Too bad i can't read german.

edit: i guess i can use the culture map 1187 and use paint to change it. thank you for your help anyways.

sure, PM me your email adress and I send it to you... it is about 4-5 megabytes though so make sure your email account has enough space.