Do you think capital elimination mechanic should be changed?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BandC

First Lieutenant
80 Badges
Oct 24, 2010
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities in Motion
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
In the games I played, I usually skip other cities of the AI and go straight for the capital. I think capital elimination rule makes the game too easy. Do you think elimination should be based on total conquest instead? It would make the game more challenging.

I like it as is. So I would hope any change would be optional.

To me, it would make the game more of a slog. If you can take their capitol, I think you've proven that you are able to take the rest.

What durecellrabbit and Pax Empyrean said. Having the option for AI to continue to fight but holding their capital city should satisfy the victory condition. Right now it's way too easy to snipe AI's capital cities.

I think optional would be nice. Once multiplayer is out I rather not have to station a ton of units around my capital. So if the other player gets the jump on me I could have a chance at retaking the capital.

Well the AI does try defending it. If you notice a large majority of the AI units are usually around the capital. Also if you get close to their capital they tend to try to make peace with you.

I'd suggest three options, actually
- Player loses immediately after he loses his capital ("Regicide")
- Player loses if he loses his capital and doesn't retake it within 10 turns ("Great Patriotic War")
- Player only loses if he loses all his cities (with settlers being as cheap as they are, this can lead to some long games though)

Also, as an additional checkbox option I'd suggest ability to move one's capital
- For, say, 1000 gold - within Ardania (price increases with each subsequent move)
- For 1000 Mana - to one of parallel worlds (it can be a spell, actually)

Capital killing Conquest rules are good for multiplayer. Not so good for single player if your wanting a longer game. So it should probably be an option when they add them. Also if they ever buff Unity to not be counter spellable which they probably should. Killing the Mages capital to stop it will probably be necessary. Right now 5000 mana for a spell that will just get countered is basically a waste. They need to rework it to take much longer to cast but you can't be stopped unless they kill you.

They could add the Master of Magic mechanics where if a wizard loses his fortress (aka capital) but still had cities left, plus some mana reserves he could cast the spell of return.
During that time he could still use his units but not cast spells or interact in diplomacy. Not sure if city management was still working.

Capital killing Conquest rules are good for multiplayer. Not so good for single player if your wanting a longer game. So it should probably be an option when they add them. Also if they ever buff Unity to not be counter spellable which they probably should. Killing the Mages capital to stop it will probably be necessary. Right now 5000 mana for a spell that will just get countered is basically a waste. They need to rework it to take much longer to cast but you can't be stopped unless they kill you.

I think the point of the Unity victory is to rush research and learn it before any other mages have the ability to counter it. I've come very close to losing to a game because an AI started casting unity before I could counterspell it, but I got lucky and learned it a few turns later. Though AIs also wont counter it if you are at peace, wont apply to multiplayer but I guess it's a nice way to end a game where you don't feel like killing everyone, pay for a peace with the remaining AIs and cast the spell at your leisure.

I do not think it should be removed. Extra Large maps take too long to play that way. The comp just needs better AI. A lot of the civs I have beat don't even station units in their capital, and if they do and it dies, they rarely replace it. The cost of leaving cities behind you should be a fortified capital with some good defensive units in it and tons of the AI mobs attacking you from behind.

It might be okay if there was some kind of scorched earth thing where the AI can't just sneak settlers behind you to the cities you just destroyed.

I think the mechanic should be changed because the computer doesn't exploit it but players do.

I think a better mechanic would be that when the capital falls, the second largest city becomes the capital and then the empire gets split in half. Half becomes neutral and the other half, with the new capital, remains with the archmage.

This would allow much faster killing of an archmage, but it doesn't overly benefit the player over the computer as the current system does.

I could go with that, to be honest, I was pretty surprised the first time I took a capital and the whole empire disappeared. Maybe the capital should have an avatar of the mage.

I'd prefer it as an optional rule, myself. Play the game the way you want! Just because it's possible to take the AI's capital instead of all their cities first doesn't mean you have to. In the future multiplayer, it should be important to keep some units near your cities to defend them, especially the capital. As it works right now, I don't see how implementing a new rule to enforce a style of gameplay is superior to a player choosing to go about things a certain way. I personally like to destroy all of an AI's cities and keep the capital alive while I go do other things, but it can also be fun to march directly on the capital and sunder their empire directly!

I think the point of the Unity victory is to rush research and learn it before any other mages have the ability to counter it. I've come very close to losing to a game because an AI started casting unity before I could counterspell it, but I got lucky and learned it a few turns later. Though AIs also wont counter it if you are at peace, wont apply to multiplayer but I guess it's a nice way to end a game where you don't feel like killing everyone, pay for a peace with the remaining AIs and cast the spell at your leisure.

Maybe. But in most games like this the research victory gives players a chance to stop it but they have to work harder. Like in Civ you would need to invade to stop the rocket from being launched. It's usually a sort of stalemate ending victory that limits how long the game can go on. Where as if it works like you say its just a mad dash to research an generate the 5000 mana. Undead also seem to have a big advantage there. I'm also of the opinion that currently later game spells research too quickly anyway. It seems like I only have need of a couple of research point producing buildings then everything is researching in under 10 turns. That just makes it either end the game just when its really starting or people get counter spell, and that victory condition might as well not exist.