• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
These monopolies have created jobs, these monopolies have brought wealth to these United States, and these monopolies continue as a source of ultimate good for this country in the face of other alternatives. You wish to break them up to re-sponsor free trade, which you think has died? Who decides which monopolies are broken up? Who is held accountable for the corruption that would sure follow? There is no solution the government can provide that is acceptable, so let the Invisible Hand dictate the rise and fall of your hated Monopolies.

Honorable Governor Jarvis, my name is Taggarman.

If the government stopped propping up these monopolies, we would see competition return. These government regulations naturally favour the monopolies of businessmen allied to politicians. Do you think the weak regulations of Harrison would fix the problem? Would Hayden's massive spending policies? They are weakening our economy!

Propping up the monopolies? Weak regulations? Please engange that thing at the top of your head Mr Jarvis.

How exactly has interventionism helped the monopolies? More importantly, how would breaking up the monopolies help them?

Our "monopolies" have not restricted competition. We have not forced out competitors. We have participated in no illegal acts.

We have simply created a competitive advantage over our competitors, by creating superior products and services, having more experience and making use of the latest technology.

We have done nothing wrong and must not be punished for making use of every advantage. It was not governments which created us, but our own work, skill and knowledge.

Last edited:
These interventionist policies allowed corrupt government officials back companies that would benefit them, letting those industries expand and using government power to discourage competition. These monopolies arose largely under Jamous, a staunch interventionist, and continued to grow at all times, with only the competition of the Mandrake administration slowing their growth.

Harrison did not 'break up the monopolies;, he merely divided companies, all of whom have the same owner, the people in charge, and the same percentage of control between the lot of them. These trust-busters are nothing more than manipulators, self-righteous but ineffectual! We need competition, and that will only happen when government stops dictating business!

Spitfire. There's showing yourself in a better light, and then there's blatant lies. Tone it down a bit.

As for merely putting a different name on the new companies. Keep in mind, only Rockefeller and Howard got the 30% deal. Harrison's litigation was also more than slightly harmed by the fact that he was doing it in only one state. He could only go so far before the ACP and more pro-trust members of congress could convince even Hayden to step in and say; "Okay. Stop for a second. Banning them from buying shares in new companies?" Probably the main reason he's going for executive office instead of just hoping other governors pick up on anti-trust is because, with the full support of the president, he can put through the anti-trust legislation as it was meant to be: Bloody Effective.

Spitfire. There's showing yourself in a better light, and then there's blatant lies. Tone it down a bit.

As for merely putting a different name on the new companies. Keep in mind, only Rockefeller and Howard got the 30% deal. Harrison's litigation was also more than slightly harmed by the fact that he was doing it in only one state. He could only go so far before the ACP and more pro-trust members of congress could convince even Hayden to step in and say; "Okay. Stop for a second. Banning them from buying shares in new companies?" Probably the main reason he's going for executive office instead of just hoping other governors pick up on anti-trust is because, with the full support of the president, he can put through the anti-trust legislation as it was meant to be: Bloody Effective.

((Well that's what my lawyers will be saying :)
Just because I'm saying it, doesn't mean it's true))

Too bad government is rarely effective, no matter how competent, or hellbent, a leader is on enacting certain policies.

Too bad government is rarely effective, no matter how competent, or hellbent, a leader is on enacting certain policies.

Mr. Jarvis, the key word in that statement is rarely. I implore you, give us this chance to create an effective government policy on monopolies. Because if there is a single nation that can create an effective version of something that is almost always ineffective, it is the United States of America.

These interventionist policies allowed corrupt government officials back companies that would benefit them, letting those industries expand and using government power to discourage competition. These monopolies arose largely under Jamous, a staunch interventionist, and continued to grow at all times, with only the competition of the Mandrake administration slowing their growth.

Harrison did not 'break up the monopolies;, he merely divided companies, all of whom have the same owner, the people in charge, and the same percentage of control between the lot of them. These trust-busters are nothing more than manipulators, self-righteous but ineffectual! We need competition, and that will only happen when government stops dictating business!

Except they don't and they didn't. The monopolies started under the free-market policies of Josiah Bridgeworthy. And Harrison's regulation did divide the companies - with different owners and different people in charge.

Also, Mr. Jarvis, would you oppose or support regulation which would break up the monopolies?

titantakeover.png

((An anonymous pamphlet handed out in key swing states. Not by George Walsh, I just felt like doing this.

((That's taking it a bit far me thinks, and it's not as if the Titans can't just buy out the newspapers and print what they want them to print, since you seem to think they have that sort of power. :D))

((I concur with King here. If you don't like the Titans saying they're perfect, going the complete other way is not a solution)).

I have seen pamphlets distributed in certain "battleground" states that are so vile, so utterly disregarding of the standards of proper political discourse, that I can do naught but denounce them. This election should be kept as clean as possible. The mudslinging of the 60s and 70s should stay in the 60s and 70s.

I want America to wake up and vote for Hayden/ Harrison, the only ones who can stop the takeover of America by Economical Criminals. Every vote counts. It's the fate of the nation at stake. Will we sell it to the crooks or save it for our children? Vote for Hayden and Harrison!

Mr. Khur, corporations and trusts are not citizens. I have no intention of snatching the life's work of these men from them. I intend to strike down the monsters spawned by their life's work, which threaten to snatch away the actual life's work of everyone that is not a part of their trust.

Is voting still going on? If so, I vote Democrat.

You would put workers out on the streets again, just to prove a point that monopolies are bad? How can one justify such suffering, for some ideological gain?

Orleans sees the way the world works, and he does not plan on unemploying so many innocent workers.