• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, the airplane was invented by a Brazilian (for a Paris fair admittedly), so... :)

He did nothing that hadn't been done before, and a lot less than what the Wright brothers did. Only Brazilians claim Dumont invented the aeroplane. :p

He did nothing that hadn't been done before, and a lot less than what the Wright brothers did. Only Brazilians claim Dumont invented the aeroplane. :p

I know :)

I have no idea if this has already been said, but will ports play a role in the economies of their nations? In Vic 1, ports were purely a military structure, and commercial ports weren't represented on the map, but a huge bottleneck in terms of production, infrastructure, and efficiency in trade is port capacity. A England could have all the factories it wanted, but if it does not have the port capacity to import the goods it needs to work all those factories, who cares. New Orleans, New York, Baltimore, Rotterdam, Hamburg, Tianjing, Shanghai, and Canton were all examples of great ports that funneled a nations goods to the rest of the world. This would also allow blockading and necessitate a navy for large trading nations. England was able to throttle Argentina when they tried to default on their loans because all goods left Argentina through Buenos Aires and Argentina didn't have a strong enough navy to protect it. Further, if a country somehow blockaded the Thames, English industry would almost shut down since a majority of the goods that entered England went through London.

*I know this seems off topic, but I'm only it saying since I notice how many ports there are in Japan, and it wouldn't have been economically viable, especially for pre-meiji Japan, to have that many active commercial ports.

<snip>
*I know this seems off topic, but I'm only it saying since I notice how many ports there are in Japan, and it wouldn't have been economically viable, especially for pre-meiji Japan, to have that many active commercial ports.

They have mentioned that you can blockade the enemy to mess with their economy, but I don't know how ports play into this.

And I think those Japanese ports are just fishing ports - non upgraded, but that is just a guess.

I have no idea if this has already been said, but will ports play a role in the economies of their nations? In Vic 1, ports were purely a military structure, and commercial ports weren't represented on the map, but a huge bottleneck in terms of production, infrastructure, and efficiency in trade is port capacity. A England could have all the factories it wanted, but if it does not have the port capacity to import the goods it needs to work all those factories, who cares. New Orleans, New York, Baltimore, Rotterdam, Hamburg, Tianjing, Shanghai, and Canton were all examples of great ports that funneled a nations goods to the rest of the world. This would also allow blockading and necessitate a navy for large trading nations. England was able to throttle Argentina when they tried to default on their loans because all goods left Argentina through Buenos Aires and Argentina didn't have a strong enough navy to protect it. Further, if a country somehow blockaded the Thames, English industry would almost shut down since a majority of the goods that entered England went through London.

Quite right. The merchant fleet and port capacity needs represented.

I know that we can blockade, but what I was saying is that a country doesn't need to blockade the entire coastline of a country to effectively cut off trade, especially if a country only had one large commercial port. A wealthy nation like the USA can support multiple large ports, but I doubt a poor Japan can. A country at war with Japan shouldn't need to have a fleet on every province, and I doubt any but England would be able to do that anyways.

IMO at the very least, coastal provinces should use for calculating it's infrastructural efficiency either port or railroad level, whichever is higher.

Good, this suggests multi-layered sprites
(or whatever the ones are called that change over time)

It could also mean that Irregulars get different sprites.

I want to believe what you said to be true though, and if that is the case, I only hope the amount of sprite levels is moddable.

Would be interesting if each country have some unique units: samurais for the Japanese, redcoats for Britain, cossacks for Russia...

I don't expect it anyway. :rofl:

Come, oh Wednesday!

I'm a bit irked that Prestige tied to researching Culture is still in. Firstly, states don't "research" culture (or much of anything outside the military for that matter); second, just because you are the first to embrace a new artform doesn't mean your work in that artform is the best and most prestigious; third, culture is an many transnational thing, so limiting its effects to the country who has researched it makes little sense; and forthly, it's a wasted opportunity to give the game added depth.

The first point is that it's absurd for a state to direct research, particularly cultural research. For one, research points are derived from having lots of Clerks & Clergy, who know nothing about painting, song and dance. Also, the state cannot just instruct people to discover the next big thing in culture. It brings to mind an image of the Austrian government rounding up artists, locking them in a room and not letting them out until they produce something better then Mozart.
Second and thirdly, chronology of discovery does not reflect quality of work, and that research is a trans-national phenomenon. Consider the Vicky invention "Existentialism". Discovering Existenialism first awards the nation the highest amount of prestige available. However, historically Existentialism was "discovered" across Europe in the works of Kafka (Czech), Dostoyevsky (Russian) & Heidegger (German) who were inspired by the Proto-Existentialists Kierkegaard (Danish) and Nietzche (Prussian 1844-69, Stateless 1869-1900). However, Existentialism did not become well known or "prestigous" until after WW2 with the works of Satre (French), De Beauvoir (French) and Camus (French) yet under the Vicky research system, Austria/Czecheslovakia, Russia and Germany would receive all the prestige, and France none.

A better model for Vicky2 would be for different areas of research be governed by different system.
Army and Naval research would remain laregly as it is. The government would assign areas for the military establishment to conduct research. The speed of research would be influenced by government military policy and spending, being at war, the size of Officer & Clerk PoPs divided by their literacy, etc.
Commerce and Industry research speed would depend upon government policy, overall wealth (GDP PPP), taxes, the size of Artisan and Capitalist PoPs divided by literacy, number of factories, number of railroads, wealth of colonies, etc. Governments could only choose what areas to conduct research if they had a State Capitalist or Planned Economy policy, however those policies would also lower the speed of research. Under Laisse-Faire and Interventionist governments, all research is simultaneous but overall faster.
Cultural research cannot be controlled at all (unless you are a Fascist government). Otherwise, research in all areas occurs simultaneously and the speed of research is effected by reforms (the more progressive the faster), overall PoP literacy, and direct funding from the government (you cannot fund any particular tech, you have to fund them all at once). Inventions would no longer award prestige according to who researched them first. Instead, prestige would constantly increase at a rate influenced by reforms, overall PoP literacy, and government funding.

+1
good ideas
it would be good to see the circumstances of the country impact its reasearch
some circumstances can't be helped eg Switzerland shouldn't become a leading naval innovator
but some could eg the government fosters some kind of free-enterprise society and encourages the smart business men types to come up with economic innovations

could make the game individualised for each country while allowing real control over the direction of that country

Yeah. "Culture" reseach always sounded stupid.

Dostoevsky simply is bloody f**king awesome, yet Russia was seen always as backward. Cultural movements, artistic forms of expression, political development, psychological zeitgeist and et cetera represented in the infamous "culture research" should have a proper separate gameplay system for added historical depth AND historical freedom... Of course, this isn't for now - a super-patch or even expansion pack is a far more appropriate way of doing this, hehehe.

Yeah. "Culture" reseach always sounded stupid.

Dostoevsky simply is bloody f**king awesome, yet Russia was seen always as backward. Cultural movements, artistic forms of expression, political development, psychological zeitgeist and et cetera represented in the infamous "culture research" should have a proper separate gameplay system for added historical depth AND historical freedom... Of course, this isn't for now - a super-patch or even expansion pack is a far more appropriate way of doing this, hehehe.

I don't know, I think it has pretty good outcome, even if the process is unrealistic. If you spend your time coming up with a Dostoyevsky, you've neglected your military and industry, leading your country's economy to be piss-poor and your army outclassed and outgunned.

Yes, that's right. I don't have time at the moment to answer your questions. However I have taken the time to give the thread a quick read through and I'll give you some answers when I get back.

Is the King back?

I would like to get some answers to the many questions in this thread.

Is the King back?

I would like to get some answers to the many questions in this thread.

Hey, we still didn't get the Fellowship or Two Towers and you want the Return of King already? ;)

Which is exactly what you are in all Paradox games. You are never the king/government/anything.

In CK you DO play the king (or duke or count... in the short term at least).

They have mentioned that you can blockade the enemy to mess with their economy, but I don't know how ports play into this.

And I think those Japanese ports are just fishing ports - non upgraded, but that is just a guess.

I thought the port icons were supposed to represent naval bases à la Ricky. Looking the screenshot of Bergen earlier, it was even grouped together with the fort level in the UI. As such, I would expect it to at least affect colonial range, and probably also have an effect on the blockading system as a new feature. The basic wharf sprites seem to be on all coastal provinces, and represent a level 0 port/naval base (fishing wharfs, natural harbours), much like the horse&carriage was level 0 railroads in Vicky.