• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now I will say having your former lover in an affair become your son's wife, they have kids, and you rekindle the relationship and hit it again for another bastard through the might fancy me event, could be an achievement. :)

Or have the illegitimate product of your bastard child favor her/his grandfather (you), that would be rather jawdropping.

It happens, with my wacky Sithrigi family.

Dad has 20+ kids with about six wives and four mistresses, as he had the double whammy of lusty and hedonistic. Married one of his bastard daughters to his grandson.

Grandson has a bunch of kids with his aunt, one was a inbred, the rest mostly normal, he producing tons of kids and his mistress is his grandpa's last wife. He been though a few wives as they keep converting to being a heretic. (and his court will line up to kill heretic queens). But the fertile Sitirgi clan has a issue.

The Heir is homosexual and has produced one daughter. This shall be fun.

My longest-lived and most successful king of Sicily had a lustful turn, as well:

After his mother died, his father remarried and then died himself. This left his father's stepmother-widow in his court... where he proceeded to have an affair with her and produce a bastard! But, being such an even-handed guy ("the Just"), he fully legitimized the bastard son and actually made him the heir to the kingdom.

Twenty years later, in his fifties, he had another affair... with his bastard son and heir's wife! Another bastard born and fully legitimized. I guess he just wanted to let the next generation know that he was still the boss...

My longest-lived and most successful king of Sicily had a lustful turn, as well:

After his mother died, his father remarried and then died himself. This left his father's stepmother-widow in his court... where he proceeded to have an affair with her and produce a bastard! But, being such an even-handed guy ("the Just"), he fully legitimized the bastard son and actually made him the heir to the kingdom.

Twenty years later, in his fifties, he had another affair... with his bastard son and heir's wife! Another bastard born and fully legitimized. I guess he just wanted to let the next generation know that he was still the boss...

sounds like he's a fan of wielding his bastard-sword....

anyone...?

no?

ok.

I have only not had the option once. I don’t think I ever had the option to do a family member, so far.

A lot of time it is your son’s wife though.

I have only taken the option twice in 200 years. It works out to about one bastard every 50 years, so far.

They never turn out well.

Anyone ever had affairs when you had a queen? That would be more interesting.

With this king I had a thing for some girl when I was still a ward. Had the option to continue, but the wife was my spy master. She had like 25 intrigue. It didn’t seem a good idea.

She died and I got betrothed. The girl turned out to be homosexual and inherited a barony.

I needed a few more kids at the time and had an affair, turned out it was my second son’s wife, and he was a loser.

She must have been very fertile. All I needed to do was look at her and she would pop. Then the queer queen started to pop them out too.

I made the mistake of recognizing one of them and the queen got a -50 on me but I could live with that. She was still slightly on the positive side. At least until we had a falling out over the whole mess.

It ended up I had little choice but to divorce the queen, kill the son and find a new wife. Well the mistress was actually the best choice, stat wise, so I married her. But now I have too many kids. I think it is up to like 15. The only ones I can see below are the last ones. They all overlap.

I guess I am going to have to cull a few of the worst ones. The next king gets to bring in primogenitor so too many sons won’t be such a problem. They will just all hate him and each other.

I wonder who in Paradox decides what is appropriate and what isn't.

In CK2 we can kill our own family, torture people, fall in herecy, kill Pope... And sleep with your own daughter as it seems. True, all those things (except maybe killing Pope) wherecommon back then (as they are today, ahem). But what bothers me more are things that are left out. In EU3 Jews don't exist but there were some big events connected to them (banishment from Spain and fleeing to everywhere else at least), and there aren't much race problems in V2 except ACW. Even more strange in HoI3: while USSR has decision "Great Purge FTW" and Japan has Rape of Nankin (not sure about it, haven't really played HoI3 just heard it somewhere) Nazis don't seem to do anything bad at all except being Nazis.

Not trying to start any flame war, just wondering.

But what bothers me more are things that are left out. In EU3 Jews don't exist but there were some big events connected to them (banishment from Spain and fleeing to everywhere else at least), and there aren't much race problems in V2 except ACW. Even more strange in HoI3: while USSR has decision "Great Purge FTW" and Japan has Rape of Nankin (not sure about it, haven't really played HoI3 just heard it somewhere) Nazis don't seem to do anything bad at all except being Nazis.

Most likely has to do with political correctness in certain places around the world. Certain nations have laws against portraying certain historical events of a less than positive nature. Rather than try to make seperate versions or dance along the line of what is/isn't acceptable in those nations the whole issue is avoided. I suspect that if the USA implemented a law banning positive references to the CSA (which some crackpots have suggested over the years) you wouldn't see the ACW either.

You also have to consider just how much the inclusion of the material would improve the game compared to the potential for problems in the public opinion or legal areas.

I wonder who in Paradox decides what is appropriate and what isn't.

In CK2 we can kill our own family, torture people, fall in herecy, kill Pope... And sleep with your own daughter as it seems. True, all those things (except maybe killing Pope) wherecommon back then (as they are today, ahem). But what bothers me more are things that are left out. In EU3 Jews don't exist but there were some big events connected to them (banishment from Spain and fleeing to everywhere else at least), and there aren't much race problems in V2 except ACW. Even more strange in HoI3: while USSR has decision "Great Purge FTW" and Japan has Rape of Nankin (not sure about it, haven't really played HoI3 just heard it somewhere) Nazis don't seem to do anything bad at all except being Nazis.

Anything relating to Judaism and Nazism, both independent of each other and in relation to each other, are treated in a very specific, and to me, peculiar manner in much of Europe, particuarly western Europe and Scandanavia, of which, Paradox springs from. For instance it's considered fine to include the Muslim aspect in the theme of CKII (indeed, the game would be rather silly without it) but Jews are best left completely absent (even though it would add another relevant and logical layer to the game, considering the period). Additionally, in the HoI franchise, it's fine to mention directly the Rape of Nanking, but even simply the word "Nazi" let alone any atrocity connected to it can not be mentioned at all. Western and Northern Europe has its own way of thinking on these matters. I'm not criticisizing this at all, mind you. Just observing.

I'm not so sympathetic towards traitors.

:p don't shoot me

Personally I think its great, really. The game is already over-PC'd, with things like no children before 16, an age at which many women had three already.

The odd incest is great IMO, and enables consanguinity issues that were, after all, quite prominent back in the days.

Finally, morals were different. If you're told you're absolute ruler in your castle and taught everyone but a far-flung liege is essentially you're slave from birth onwards, you will NOT think like we do. I'd rather have the game reflect the facts of the era than modern morality. I can go to church if I want the latter.

This sounds like a bug in the event system. It shouldn't be allowed IMHO.

I'm fine with this but there should be an event where people (let's say, your character's vassals) frown upon this.

I got told 1/2 the Roman emperors were inbred.

I don't think it was so uncommon back then. Personally i find this hilarious. I had a situation where my ruler was a hedonist , lustful , Midas touched. Super fertility. But he had this event happen with some 40 year old ogre. He didn't have kids with his wife till the lover died (and the lover never had kids , too old i guess?). Atleast you might get your girl preg and have an heir O_O....... Inbred is better than game over.

...did I mentioned his bastard-sword is a...

... 2-hander?

Anything relating to Judaism and Nazism, both independent of each other and in relation to each other, are treated in a very specific, and to me, peculiar manner in much of Europe, particuarly western Europe and Scandanavia, of which, Paradox springs from. For instance it's considered fine to include the Muslim aspect in the theme of CKII (indeed, the game would be rather silly without it) but Jews are best left completely absent (even though it would add another relevant and logical layer to the game, considering the period). Additionally, in the HoI franchise, it's fine to mention directly the Rape of Nanking, but even simply the word "Nazi" let alone any atrocity connected to it can not be mentioned at all. Western and Northern Europe has its own way of thinking on these matters. I'm not criticisizing this at all, mind you. Just observing.

Thanks. I thought it's American way of ignoring problems and be polite, I didn't realize it was so global. But now when I think about it, it would be strange to play Germany in HoI3 otherwise. "Dear player, you're about to start a war that will kill dozens of millions people, mostly civilians. Have a nice game." It's still very close to starting nuclear war in Civilization (by the way, this is a game that 10 year old can legaly play. I love censorship) in terms of moral so I still find it strange that in some games I can consciously genocide somebody (like natives in EU3) while referring genocide of other people is forbidden.