• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The connect issue is not an issue with the patch, it is an issue with the connect server not recognizing the code from the game. We do not need 5.2 to fix this.

I wasn't thinking only, or mostly, of the connection issue. (In fact, I have never tried achievments, and have no desire to do so). Mostly, I was thinking of the interface issues; the inability to select units, or even provinces, without zooming in very far. That, and the naval retreats which have NOT been fixed (see my bug report, if you doubt).

I wasn't thinking only, or mostly, of the connection issue. (In fact, I have never tried achievments, and have no desire to do so). Mostly, I was thinking of the interface issues; the inability to select units, or even provinces, without zooming in very far. That, and the naval retreats which have NOT been fixed (see my bug report, if you doubt).

I've noticed that the province and unit selection is askew, but last I heard, naval retreats sent your ships unabated to the nearest friendly port. Hasn't acted any differently than that in my experiences. Could you clarify?

I've noticed that the province and unit selection is askew, but last I heard, naval retreats sent your ships unabated to the nearest friendly port. Hasn't acted any differently than that in my experiences. Could you clarify?

I describe it in this thread:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?550057-Naval-Retreats-still-don-t-work-right

In short, they DO retreat when beaten, but they do NOT reliably go to the nearest friendly port. They seem to continue on their paths, as best I can tell from the examples given. This fixes the amphibious landing problem, but it remains an issue for anything else, eg, if you have a port to send an army to.

One of my examples was a Papal transport squadron running through the (very well guarded) Straits, to their ally, Brittany. Not good, that.

When will steam get the update? My version is still 5.0 and I can't find where to manually update it (plus it is set currently to autoupdate).
There were some instructions on how to do that earlier in the thread (I forget the original poster/page, but it was quoted by someone else on page 12).

Where do I complain about the patch? Just one question, was Napoleon a mongol? Sounds like a fair question, since the Golden horde looks pretty much like the french army now. Or maybe Guderian went back in time and trained them to use blitzkrieg tactics. You tell me.

Sarcasm aside, yes... that ridiculous it is.

Where do I complain about the patch? Just one question, was Napoleon a mongol? Sounds like a fair question, since the Golden horde looks pretty much like the french army now. Or maybe Guderian went back in time and trained them to use blitzkrieg tactics. You tell me.

Sarcasm aside, yes... that ridiculous it is.

If I could vote this post up, I would.

The patch breaks the game for me. I can't select armies any more with simply clicking, I have to do an area selection instead, and there's no mouseover info about army size and the direction it's moving to.

This feels like a critical blocking issue but I can't see others complaining about it -- am I missing something here?

When will steam get the update?
Steam have the update, but Paradox have no idea of Steam's release intentions or schedule. You need to ask Steam.

The patch breaks the game for me. I can't select armies any more with simply clicking, I have to do an area selection instead, and there's no mouseover info about army size and the direction it's moving to.

This feels like a critical blocking issue but I can't see others complaining about it -- am I missing something here?
The mouseover thing has been reported many times, but sadly not fixed as yet. I always used the area selection for armies anyway so I can't say I noticed any change there, and I don't recall it being reported as an issue in its own right.

The mouseover thing has been reported many times, but sadly not fixed as yet. I always used the area selection for armies anyway so I can't say I noticed any change there, and I don't recall it being reported as an issue in its own right.
I suspect what he means is that you can no longer select individual armies, one at a time by clicking on them, the way you used to be able to do, and the way you still can at sprite-level zooms.

But I share his surprise that this aggravation never generates the same level of outrage that various naval, horde, or japan issues did/do. It's a far more fundamental issue, in my book. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's game-breaking. But it certainly diminishes its quality, significantly, in my book. Whatever interface tweaks they applied to this patch were miniscule in terms of their desirability; the unintended consequences are severe. If a fix isn't possible, a roll-back should be, depending on how modular things are over at Paradox.

I suspect what he means is that you can no longer select individual armies, one at a time by clicking on them, the way you used to be able to do, and the way you still can at sprite-level zooms.

But I share his surprise that this aggravation never generates the same level of outrage that various naval, horde, or japan issues did/do.

You are right, it seems that at sprite-level things still work. Group selection instead of single units is not the end of the world (while of course quite annoying), I could live with that -- but the missing mouse-over information feels like a game-breaker for me. I guess it's mostly because I never enter the sprite-level view; this far I have only used the strategic view (with diplomatic mapmode) or even the outermost world view to command my armies.

And you are right about my surprise of the issues people are complaining about. Non-optimal hordes? Wrong fleeing behavior for naval units? Unconquerable Japan? I don't even know what's this talk about some achievements. Honestly, all these are cosmetic problems and corner cases. Being able to see the strength of armies and their movements is simply one of the core features.

I think I'll just reinstall the vanilla version of DW. Changelog for 5.1 is really impressive -- thanks for the hard work, devs -- but I'd like to be able to actually play the game :)

Last edited:
I'm playing an entertaining game as Brandenburg, but something is bothering me...

I got into a fight with France, I the HRE, had the same amount of troops, but on attacking France with a horde of vassals on my side, I find that they're only fielding perhaps three major armies and a horde of 1k units only recently built, marching to the same point no matter whether I placed my 20k armies in their path. Meaning they got slaughtered one by one.
That was rather odd...

Second odd thing is the constant wars the ai European powers are waging on all the world. I'm even playing this on low aggressivenes, but nonwithstanding that they're all constantly declaring war on African, Indian or American nations, and consequently spreading their armies even further across the globe, leaving their home countries void of a proper defense...

Now I'm a relatively peaceful Brandenburg (Prussia by now) and don't want to conquer anything unless I have cores on it. So I leave them all alone. But my war with France - and what I've seen of various allies and neighbours actions, the ai isn't considering it's home highly enough.

I really think it would make the game work a lot more logically if the ai only used a certain percentage of their standing forces for colonial wars - and not leave their homes wide open for attack. And also, it shouldn't just send 1k armies marching blindingly to their obvious deaths.

5.1 brings the Intel blue-map...

No way, no how, is my configuration going to get supported, I'm sure, but 5.0 mundane was perfect on my graphics card, and 5.1 brings me the intel blue-map, even though I'm not using an intel card.

Looks like it'll be a great patch, if I ever get to play it. ;)

No way, no how, is my configuration going to get supported, I'm sure, but 5.0 mundane was perfect on my graphics card, and 5.1 brings me the intel blue-map, even though I'm not using an intel card.

Looks like it'll be a great patch, if I ever get to play it. ;)
I'm sure this is not the old Intel blue map issue, or we'd have known about it by now through all those betas. Start a fresh thread in Tech Support and we'll get you fixed up.