• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
here is the 1066 start map

Last edited:
Hmmm ... it seems that the trait Pneumonia have somehow changed name to 'Consumption' .... I am using the DVIP from 10-03-2009. Maybe a find and replace gone wrong?? ;)

ck_consumption.jpg

Nope, a deliberate change. Consumption is the common name for pneumonia and other lung diseases as used in previous centuries (because it seems to consume the sufferer from within). Main reason I changed it is that now tit can stand for multiple respiratory diseases.

Nope, a deliberate change. Consumption is the common name for pneumonia and other lung diseases as used in previous centuries (because it seems to consume the sufferer from within). Main reason I changed it is that now tit can stand for multiple respiratory diseases.

hmmm ...sounds very odd to me :) ... since I just associate it with the modern term 'consumption'. I think I'll just change it to 'lung disease' instead then. Makes more sense to me :)

cool little change. have you thought btw about including Veld's homosexual trait in the DVIP, or are you against that? :)

I won't use it myself or add it in the DVIP.
But since I'm not planning to use any of the three user defined traits, it should be possible to lift the events from Veld (if he allows of course) and use them in DVIP. As I won't be playing with it I won't do it myself but if anyone is up for it, I can add a link to it on the download page or add it up for download in the thread.

@TempestDK: one thing I see I do need to change is the capitalization of the string ;)

jordarkelf, I like your mod, I have just been playing as the duchy of leinster. However I feel the game is much too easy, if you using your advice to make AI agressiveness Coward or Weakling. The first time I played it on agressive, prior to reading your post, and I was getting crushed. The AI was very agressive, so I changed it to Coward, and now it seems much too easy. I managed to unite Ireland and conquor the holyland by 1100, and I was only attacked by 1 other realm in that entire period. Even though multiple other Lords had claims on my lands, including Scotland and Norway. Yet they never acted on them, so it seems perhaps normal settings would be more optimal?

There seems to be an error in the melting pot events - the castillian catalan and portuguese melting pots use condition = { type = region value = number }.
region should be changed to either province or area, since region only uses full names (eg. "Spain") and not province ids.

+Infa (AKA Casablanca): Almoravids conquered it in 1068. Before, it was ruled by an independent and pagan dynasty as you can see here. Unfortunetly, I didn't find any mention of the dynasty name or leader, so I think we could keep the current one and make it pagan. Province religion should also be turn into pagan.

I've been playing around with the Maghrib/Iberia setup and was curious as to why there were pagans in Infa...so I'm quoting this old post.:D

Unfortunately, I think this is one of those instances where wikipedia is inaccurate (and certainly inconsistent). As the following citations from google books (searched anfa and variations of spelling) will attest, Anfa was under the sway of the Barghawata tribe, who were not pagans but rather berbers who followed a heretical version of Islam.

Anfa became the capital of an independent Berber state in the aftermath of the Islamic Arab invasions of the 7th and 8th centuries. The state was known as Berghouata, after the tribe that lived here. The pious Almoravids considered the Berhouata heretics, and commenced a holy war against them in the 11th century. The battle was continued, and finally won, by the Almohads in the late 12th century.

Les Almoravides, encourages pa leur chef, entreprirent ensuite la guerre sainte contre les Berghouata, peuple qui habitait Anfa, le Temsa et le littoral occidental du pays.

During the seventh century Muslim conquest of Morocco, the Berber tribe of the Barghawata, heretics from mainstream Islam, had a base near the hill of Anfa, south of today's metropolis.

Now when exactly Infa should be in Almoravid hands is unclear to me. The following wiki link suggests 1058, which is what I leaned to before I saw the Anfa wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barghawata

but then we see the following on this wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Muslim_presence_in_the_Iberian_peninsula)

1060 - The heretic Berghouata Berbers set up a Taifa in Ceuta, but are eventually crushed by the Almoravids.

So I can't really advise as to whether or not Infa was independent in 1066, but it certainly wasn't pagan.

Also, why does Granada have Algeciras? And do you have any more info about how Granada, Almeria, and Murcia worked together (so much so that they should be allies)? From all texts I could find online, they were constantly at one another's throats.

Really lovely mod. I like the fact that your adding more and more flavour to the game.

There are still certain issues that still have to be dealt with
Almohad-Naples wars: annoying and usually ends up having the Berber incursion occupying most of southern italy.(I know that this is also a vanilla problem)

Hungary: A little suggestion. The succession law of early Hungary should be that salic consaguinity. The Hungarians hadn't established thorough succession laws until the reigns of Bela IV or Charles Robert really. The eldest member of the royal family even at the expense of the previous ruler's children. But given the violent and dynamic nature of Hungarian early succession, I think that salic consaguinity would best represent this.

Another query. I'm not sure I quite understand the kingdom of Tlemcen (which also doesn't have its capital in Tlemcen). As far as I can tell, there really wasn't any cohesion amongst the various zenata tribes in the region. It might make more sense to represent them as independent one-two province counts. Also, were the Zenata actually Kharijites in 1066?

are very strong popes a DVIP/break-free issue?

here's the deal. In my games I typically get a papal states consisting of a couple of dozen counties by mid 14th century. given distribution, it's very rare for the pope to lose a war and lose territories (the AI cannot strategise very well). I am guessing that the Break-free event, accelerates the independence of bishops who probably have a different culture form their lord, and over time, a number of these independent bishops become pope, adding their territory to the domain.

rather than fiddling with break free with a number of bishop related modifiers, is there any way to force the pope to create vassals? especially for counties outside of Italy and especially if he holds Archbishop or Kingdom level titles?

Uberpopes are a vanilla issue -- bishops have no demesne limits, so they will not create vassals. I don't know of any way to get around this.

The break free event will never fire for bishoprics, precisely to somewhat combat the behaviour you describe...

---

@Gharbon: The tribe of the Banu Ifran (which is what Tlemcen represents in CK) were Kharidjite, and remained so until they were conquered in 1067 or 1068 by an alliance of the Almoravids, Benu Hilals, and Hammadids.
I thought about splitting them (possibly adding an alliance to represent the confederacy), but this will mean they will never survive (the AI is pretty smart about attacking an OPM) or will just join one of the neighbouring realms.
While not really ruling over the other Zenatan tribes, the Banu Ifran of Tlemcen were definitely the primary tribe, which is why I opted to have them remain in power there.
The 11th to 13th century berber rebellions lead by Zenatans (or Gaetulians, same people afaik) were sparked at least in part by their religious differences with mainstream sunni islam. When they later regained power as the Wattassids (15th C. Morocco) they were considered heretical by others, which at least in part was reason for the Saadis to rebel and eventually oust them.

Last edited: