• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((And the bill voting stopped, I assume? AHD came out after all. ))

We're still voting. Just finished downloading AHD - will get back to you.

I need to give IOOA priority so you still shouldn't expect an update until tomorrow.

LIBERTAD

23 November 1889

SANTA ROSA DEAD!

Governor-General Antonio de Santa Rosa, former President of the Third Chilean Republic, and founder and owner of this newspaper, died late last night at his estate. His son, the acclaimed author Francisco de Santa Rosa, discovered the esteemed elder statesmen at his desk, slumped over several notes, the last of which saying "There was never enough time to protect Chile."

The late President was born on the 29th of May, 1804, to Alberto and Maria de Santa Rosa, the former being a successful businessman of Italian descent, and the latter being from one of Chile's wealthiest families. Antonio followed in his father's footsteps and took the helm of the family businesses in 1829, shortly after marrying Isabella Badajoz, a cousin of the future president Michael Badajoz (1836-1845). He was appointed commander of the Grand Army of the North in 1836, largely due to his support of (and relations to) Michael Badajoz, who narrowly beat Senator Romano (who became Minister of the Treasury). Though he was considered by many to be an amateur, the young and energetic Santa Rosa gained a reputation as an inspiring commander, who won the admiration, even love of his troops through word and deed.

Santa Rosa lead the North Army during the course of the First Chilean-Argentine War, commanding General Carrow and future General Carrera, over the course of three years. His men were often outnumbered, but his surprising shrewdness, and incredible luck, time and again saved his forces from utter destruction. With the arrival of Columbian troops, the Grand Army of the North went on the offencive, and seemed poised to march further on, before the war was brought to a favourable end under the newly installed president, Eduardo Romano, who defeated Santa Rosa for the presidency after Badajoz and Minister/General Zepeda attempted to launch a coup. After the war ended, Santa Rosa was formally replaced by Jorges Alejandro Santandera, and the former General returned to Santiago.

From 1848 until 1856, Antonio de Santa Rosa served as Alcade of Santiago, and commanded some militia during the Reactionary Uprising during Romano's administration. However, after Santa Rosa was again beaten by Romano in 1851, he considered retiring from politics and to focus entirely on his business. His allies, and later Fate, would force him to stay. In early 1855, Santa Rosa announced he was running for a third term as Alcade, and won in yet another landslide; however, General Cesar Roseno was elected President and immediately launched a coup to dissolve the Republic, which in the end proved successful. Santa Rosa, who attended the ceremony held by Antonio Disraeli officially announcing the dissolution, rose up against the new 'Prime Minister,' and entered into a tense argument; however, with the arrival of Santandera's troops, all hope seemed lost. Santandera, however, suddenly (and shockingly) declared for the Republic, and ensured that the Congreso, with Santa Rosa at its head, would escape safely out of Santiago.

Throughout the reign of Cesar the Tyrant, Santa Rosa was the most wanted man in the nation, and was constantly organizing revolts and resistance movements against the Empire. At the same time, he entered into contacts with his former rival, Eduardo Romano, who had ostensibly joined the Empire, Sebastian Carrow, the famed general, and Sebastian Roseno, the Crown Prince and recently appointed general, about overthrowing the brutal dictator. In 1861, Santa Rosa launched a counter-coup, backed by hundreds of thousands of Chilean civilians, and by most of the 'Imperial' Army. In 1863, the Third Republic of Chile was declared, with Santa Rosa as president.

His presidency was arguably the most successful of the Third Republic (and possibly of all the Presidents of Chile). During his administration, the economy boomed (a boom that, even today, goes strong), the military was rebuilt and, to a degree, depoliticized, Chile became regarded as a Great Power, was with Brazil was averted twice, he secured Bolivian hegemony, created the Andean League (the forerunner to OTLA), created the Chilean Common Market, and has been the only president of the Third Republic to neither experience a coup (and was, apart from Gogolow and Andonie, the only President never tried for treason, and Andonie only because he died, and Gogolow because it's only his first term).

After his term ended, Santa Rosa served as the Minister of Economic Development under Mario L. Zepeda, and help to further improve the economy. When Zepeda launched a coup, in the middle of his term, Santa Rosa opposed him, but was left out of the new Ministry appointments of then serving Minister of the Interior Alejandro Cortez, who the former President helped get appointed (due to his work in the Radical-Republicano compromise in 1871). During this time out of politics, Antonio began writing for Aurora de Chile and expanding his businesses, to the point where he became Chile's wealthiest man in 1876.

He returned to politics when his former Minister of the Interior, Carlos Andonie was elected that same year to the presidency (and Cortez's presidential coup was defeated), with the post of Minister of Political Affairs. He resigned from that post (officially in 1883, though in actuality in 1881) after a dispute between the General Severino, a well known moderate Nationalist, and Andonie came to blows of the exclusion of the Partido National from the 1881 cabinet appointments (an argument Santa Rosa sided with Severino on, until the General launched a coup).

Santa Rosa spent 1882 until 1886 as the chief writer for Aurora de Chile, and served as one of the most vocal critics of the Andonie administration, especially after the fiasco of the Second Chilean-Argentine War. In 1886 he became the de facto owner of the paper when it's editor, Minister Lorenzo Subercasseaux joined President Andonie's coup to overthrow the Republic, which the Former Presidnent opposed. In 1886, he founded Libertad which has become the fount of liberal ideas in Chile.

In 1886, the beloved former President was appointed to his final post, as Governor-General of the Panama Canal Zone, where he served dutifully. He died at his home in Santiago only because he was on leave to see his family.

This "Hero of the Republic" died as he lived, as a champion of this great nation, always striving to improve and better Chile in any way he could. One of the notes found on his desk was a bill, similar to the Military Reform Act he sponsored for only a few years ago, most likely in the hopes that a new President would sign it.

While we have received little official word from his family, we are certain his body will lie in state in the Congreso before he is buried.

((There will be a funeral/ new character post sometime tomorrow (or tonight if I get bored.))

(I didnt realize Santa Rosa married Badajoz's cousin. I hope you realize some of my back stories has a character killing off old Liberales, and that your character's wife would be one of them. No hard feelings mate ;-).)

It is a tragedy to see the death of the honorable Santa Rosa. He is the perfect example of the Republican. A true defender of the Democratic values of the state, and an ardent supporter of the government. He died as he lived, in staunch support of the freedoms of Chile.

If only there were those in government who still believed in the Republican Democratic values that Santa Rosa helped espouse. His death is not the end of an error, but is a harbinger. A harbinger of the return to sane Republican politics.

“Santa Rosa is dead”

So said the young man with piercing eyes, as he was called upon by his uncle in the spacious, sunlit room.

“Then... the Old Guard has fallen. One by one, and this is the end.”

“It is a time of renewal. It can only begin as the remnants of a Chile that died go along with it. Let the past stay in the past. The Aurora de Chile has returned to its lawful administration. By the way, I was delighted to see the results of reports on the approach we have tried with the unions.”

“We're done about that, it could be dangerous. And wait a second... how can you say something like that about Santa Rosa? Didn't my sister teach you proper respect?”

“As well as she could, señor, yet not so much as to bar my own thoughts of jumping out.”

“You're young and foolish, I can understand it. I once was like that. When my brothers died fighting the Empire... I made so many promises I couldn't keep. I swore I would avenge them. I swore I would stand for an institution that later on would turn its back on us. Rushed judgement, a product of a reckless young mind.”

“You stood by your principles, to say the least. Wouldn't that at least give your memories some peace and calm?”

Lorenzo Subercaseaux, at 45, was still just as imposing as his past self. It could be perceived by the way he stood up and began a stately, reflexive walk while admiring Nantes by the windows of the villa.

“I have blurred memories of those times. My central memory, though, is that I remember taking a walk around Valparaíso and seeing the people cheering as news got to the town that Roseno had fallen. How many years ago?... A couple of decades. I had a sense I could go anywhere and still feel that aura of intense optimism, from my house where my father opened a bottle of good Bordeaux in celebration, to the far reaches of Potosí and Punta Arenas. It had struck a spark everywhere.”

He stopped in front of a painting of Pablo Subercaseaux, admired it for a while, recalling better memories. The walk resumed, a bit more tense.

“Germán was another reckless dreamer, and his grand plan was quashed before he could wake up to what was happening. But Andonie... it was a time when those feelings came back. We had the legitimacy of good deeds on our side, even as others called it unlawful. There was a universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we would win and a new era would come. This sense of inevitable victory against the forces of reaction and communism could have been what maimed us at the end. We were riding free and carelessly on the crest of a beautiful wave... and now, even from here, I can still look at the oceans that separate us from Chile and see the fateful place where the wave broke and our dreams were shattered.”

An awkward moment of silence was shared in the room.

“I must attend to some duties, señor. In a few days, I shall return to Chile. If we don't see each other anymore, I pray that you be well and at peace.”

The young man left hurriedly from the room, as if trying to escape something. Some of the servants in the villa could swear his manners were not as usual that day, especially as he was working the telegraph and exchanging suspicious looks with everyone as he passed them by.

One week later:
34rgggx.jpg

Name: Adrián Navia
Born in: Valparaíso, 1864 (26 years old)
Party Affiliation: Independent, patriotic tendencies
Background: Son of Commodore Juan Manuel Navia and heiress Lara Subercaseaux, he was born on a golden crib. From his teenage years, however, he nurtured a sort of rebelliousness against "the system", of which is family was a key part of, unfortunately. Not unlike his grandfather Pablo, but with higher stakes and a ideological turnaround: Adrián soon discovered he would lead a different life. While encouraged to take on a military career, to which he had a particular talent given his paternal gifts, he only concluded the usual scholar cycle in the Escuela de Oficiales de la Armada in Valparaíso, choosing afterwards to go into a career in Law. The exile of his uncle Lorenzo following the 4th Civil War gave him the opportunity of a lifetime when he was found the most capable member of the family to lead the Aurora de Chile into the future. Sadly for Lorenzo, Adrián didn't exactly make it known his views were much more sided with the Nacionales than with the liberal establishment reigning among the Subercaseaux clan. With the death of his uncle, he looks to make his own mark in Chilean politics.

((Does anyone read these backstories added for flavour? Kudos for whoever picks up on the speech reference in this one :p))

(I read them! You can decipher quite a bit by reading through all our amateur literature! No offense to anyone who is above amateur writer status. I wonder if all the Liberale deaths can be linked in a narrative...)

Welcome Adrián Navia. If your interests are towards protecting the 3rd Republic, I imagine we will get on famously.

Letter from Mario L. Zepeda to Mrs. Santa Rosa (widow)

Estimada Señora De Santa Rosa:

First of all, I am deeply sorry for the death of Antonio. Let me know if you need something, I will be there for you and your family, and I will assist to the funeral.

It has been many, many years since I was last heard of. While years passed and the old order crumbled, I wrote plays and read novels in the safety of my hidden compound in the Andes. A complicated political move ruined my public life, and I was forced to hide myself. I raised a family in the Andes: my two little kids, Marcelo and Antonia, with my hunt dogs and my lovely wife. I never lost contact with the most important friends I ever had though, the Santa Rosas, Lorenzo Subercasseaux and my old brothers-in-arms from the civil war. And while my forced retirement has been harsh, it has been tolerable because of valuable friends like you and your, sadly now dead, husband. But I will come out of this retirement for the funeral of Antonio, I know he deserves it.

I have never believed in god, Mrs. Santa Rosa, atleast YOUR god. Since day one, I have always been a freemason, just like my father and my uncle General Fernando were (though they hid it from the rest). But even without the grace of the church and your god, I have good faith in that your husband earned a place up there. His deeds and his life were full of goodwill and loyalty to his friends. He never betrayed his values and he was always the standard everyone looked up to.

I hate to admit it, but during the glamourous years of the republic, when we were the heroes and we had disposed of Roseno, I was envious of your husband. I felt I had fought as hard as him, having lead the Anarcho liberal rifles and claimed Santiago with him, but he always seemed to be in the spotlight. Maybe that was why I went rebellious and split off to create the Radicales. I just felt I had risked everything for nothing. But I was so wrong, he deserved it most than anyone. I would like to ask your forgiveness for these actions, that seemed to betray what I knew was right: your husband ideals. We all knew he was right, but we just wanted raw power. We were wrong.

But your husband lived a very complete life. He shaped the country, and he represented the -now dead- liberal elite of entrepreneurs, industrialists and intellectuals that was born during Badajoz's term and later defined itself and prospered during the 3rd Republic, and now lies dead in the aftermath of a civil war, it's remains scattered just like you and me. He will enter the history books, he is the man of the century.

We all had good laughs when we saw that Old Man Santa Rosa was getting less relevant and was becoming a living mummy. But just as his influence waned, so did the stability of the nation. It's almost as he represented the liberal republic, and now with him gone, it's no longer a liberal republic. He and liberalism were one, and with one gone the other couldn't go on alone. I honestly believe that he couldn't go on with his friends dead and his ideals destroyed. His party divided and alienated him, his buddies died and became criminals, his enemies became government men and important politicians. The old guy just couldn't handle it. We will all miss him.

I named my daughter after him. It seemed silly back then, but now that he is dead it's really relevant to our family. I hope you understand how important he was for everyone. I am really sorry for your loss.

A big hug

-Mario L. Zepeda, former president and your greatest friend

((Let's have Santa Rosa's body in the congress, just like Lenin is the Kremlin))

Just an update on the AHD situation, folks - it doesn't seem like it will be too much trouble to convert, so this thread probably will. This will give generals the added importance of having a prestige score associated with them - keep that in mind as we go forward. We will also have all other mechanics available to us, including suppression points and movements. Keep an eye out for the next update.

(Just sit his skeleton in a Senate Seat, and assume he will vote no to anything a radical proposes. ;-))

The Interior Ministry is concerned about how the Land Redistribution will be carried out if it passes and the President decides to sign it. I hope he chooses to veto it as I believe it will cause great unrest in the nation. The Interior Ministry will not be involved in using force and violence to evict families from their long held family estates. I know my family and I will not be moving out of our home where my family has lived for many generations. I honestly hope the authors of this bill do not intend to use the army to force people out of their homes. After the recent civil war, I don't think anyone wants to see the Army once again forced to fight its brother Chileans. Once more I urge El Presidente to veto this bill and save our nation from more strife.

Pedro Rivera - Minister of the Interior

As Chief of Staff, I am also concerned about the usage of the army in the process of following this bill, should it pass. As a private citizen of Chile it is my opinion that the bill as it is will lead inevitably toward some kind of strife in some places (where the hacienderos are more attached to their homes, due to love of the area or family heritage, or just aren't in good economic conditions), and the use of soldiers to implement it would escalate things dangerously to the detriment of our men in arms and any aggravated landowners. I urge the President and the Senate to consider ways to alleviate and moderate the actions of the bill to avoid strife, and to not rely on military force for the implementation of the act.

- Eduardo Alvarez

I think land distribution is an important issue, but I do also think the wording of this bill is unfortunate. First of all I think it must be very clear that land redistribution can't happen unless the government re-compensate the slave drivers. The government shouldn't steal, not even from the scum of the Earth. Also, I think they should be allowed to keep their manors, it's after all the land itself that the proletariat of the countryside need to prosper, not some overbuilt house.

((I wish I were sick, then I could miss all of the schoolwork that's keeping me from this AAR))

In a dark alley in Antofagasta two shadowy figures hold down a weeping and twitching man

Figure one: "You should not have come here, you foolish rat"
Figure two: "Yes... truly you made a fatal mistake..."
Bautista: "No! Please! I'll do anything to repay the debts! I'm sorry! I won't try to leave town again!"
Figure one: "Not this time, rat. You have shown that you cannot be trusted and you will pay the consequences..."
Bautista: "No senor! please!"

*bang* *bang*

Thus the life of another young, brave, yet foolish Communista was cut short

((gambling debts... they just kill...))

((Well, what a random string of deaths... and yes, Santa Rosa's spirit would be more than happy to inhabit a Senate seat (or the halls of the Congreso). Also, kind words Zepeda; you can come back to Chile now. On that note, can exiled characters make a dramatic return?))

(( It doesn't seem like a good idea, to return now that Zepeda's friends are all gone. He would return to a Chilean society where the military is too soft to deal with the commies that run the place, and he wouldn't be happy. And he would break his promise about never returning. But he has bred the new generation of Zepedas ;) even though I want the archbishop to do some very important things first.

Who is your next character anyways? Oh and the archbishop wants to lead the funeral procession. ))

Gogołów 1888-1889: A Test of Pacifism​

1888 was a quiet year for the Presidency but a very loud one in the Congreso. In addition to the issue of Women's Suffrage (which all but the most reactionary members of the legislature opposed without question), individual representatives brought a number of new bills to the table that caused uproar throughout the nation. The three most controversial bills - the Internal Security and Militia Act, the Progressive Tax Act, and the Agrarian Land Redistribution Act - would remain in the headlines for months, eclipsing the other meager exploits of the government. The first of these bills, introduced by allies of the Minister of the Interior, Pedro Rivera, called for the establishment of a Department of Internal Security and the immediate disbandment of all militias within Chile. It additionally reaffirmed the illegality of any attempt to overthrow the Republic, but this was the only clause that did not spark immediate controversy. While the Congreso debated the heavy-handed and sinister nature of a "Department of Internal Security" and the relative merits of the militia - the Red Guard in particular - the other two acts were introduced and discussed at length.

The liberal, socialist, and radical communist elements in the Congreso came together to draft the Progressive Tax Act of 1888, an act that - they said - resolved that the majority of the tax burden should be placed on the wealthy. The Tax Act attempted to legislate that whatever the tax burden on the poor, the tax burden on the middle class should be 25% higher. By extension, the upper class should have a tax burden 50% higher than that on the middle class. It sparked debate over what constituted an excessive tax burden and the merits of a progressive tax structure. The Red Star ran an article explaining "a quarter of a working man's income may be the difference between good meals and starvation, while a quarter of a capitalist's income is merely the difference between one mansion or two." Nevertheless, many opponents of the act said it went too far, while many more denied it had any merits whatsoever. Confusion over the particularly of tax policy led to a storm of abstentions over the question.

Lastly, the Agrarian Land Redistribution Act proved to be the most socialist proposal of the trio, mandating an end to aristocratically owned haciendas. The bill sought to seize these lands by eminent domain and return them to worker ownership. While there was tremendous outcry from the radical liberals, their voices in the Congreso had been silenced by Andonie's coup, and this was the only bill of the trio to pass. Scheduled to take effect in 1890 (perhaps not coincidentally shortly before the election) it would join women's suffrage as one of the major landmarks achievements of the socialist government.

The years of 1888-1889 were also noted for their string of deaths, including Antonio De Santa Rosa's. The former President of the Republic and leader of the 1866-1868 Revolution that had overthrown Cesar's Empire of the Andes, De Santa Rosa was a much beloved figure among much of the public, though some of the most radical factions secretly applauded his passing, as they were finally rid of so powerful an opponent. One Valparaiso paper had a different take on things, writing "he was the first President of the Third Republic to die of natural causes." Little did they know that Carlos Andonie's estate might well have contested the point - most of the Andonie cabinet who fled the country following the 4th Civil War, including Andonie himself, had also passed away.

During all this time, while Pedro Rivera and the interior worked to subsidize Chile's growing military rations industries, Gogołów did not remain silent. The Ministry of War under Miramontes continued to dutifully expand the Chilean military, and by the fall of 1889 the army had more than 400,000 personnel under its command, nearly the half million that the President had ordered. This newly gigantic military would remain on high alert throughout the year, as in April 1889, Brazil would once again declare war on Argentina for the region of Santa Fe. There would be calls in the Congreso to intervene, which Gogołów would soundly reject, until October. On October 10th 1889, a platoon of the army of the South, patrolling nearly the Chaco border with Argentina, would be ambushed and destroyed by an Argentinian battalion that mistook them for Brazilian troops. News of the slaughter swept through Chile, and the country once again howled for war.

-------------------------

We've got CB on Argentina (again). Dyranum, in the interests of speed, I'll leave the decision to go to war solely up to you since we're already so far behind on the update schedule. There's no question of victory - they have five brigades and we have ~120 and are still raising more.

We haven't converted to AHD. I tried, but there were several odd crashes after a few years of play and I gave up. We're still using vanilla and it looks like it's going to stay that way for the foreseeable future. Sorry all.

These actions by the Argentinian army are shameful indeed. The question we must as is should we once again send our boys to battlefield to die for what the rich call glory, or should we do the sensible thing and stay out of these disastrous wars?