• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Before the inheritance Fasq was fielding atleast as many troops as me.

Hah! Highest I ever got was 250k. Mostly 'cuz I had a super-king with 17 stewardship.

Considering what you're fielding now you have a competent king, I'd say Russia has more base tax than Rome.

Also, we should find a proper name for his realm. If we don't stop calling it the "Roman Empire" he'll at some point trick you into allowing him to use the Byzantion title as his primary title, and then we're all doomed! :eek:

The name for my realm for those who don't recognize Rome as Rome is "Gothia". (Due to the aforementioned Visigothic connection.)

And I doubt Russia will be doomed any time in the near future, it being the most significant source of doom in the neighbourhood :p

fasquardon

I think that both Gothia and All the Russias are potential net exporters of doom, but it seems to me that so far only Gothia is pursuing a laissez-faire trade policy in the commodity; the Russias have placed a high tariff barrier on the export of doom, keeping their supplies to themselves to keep the price in the home market low.

I think that both Gothia and All the Russias are potential net exporters of doom, but it seems to me that so far only Gothia is pursuing a laissez-faire trade policy in the commodity; the Russias have placed a high tariff barrier on the export of doom, keeping their supplies to themselves to keep the price in the home market low.

Just working to maintain the balance of trade. We have to export something to pay for all the Antiochene aggression flooding our market.

You were the one who started that trade. And it's up to you if you want to expand it.

fasquardon

Well I for one would welcome some good high-scale ego-class drama between some old veteran marathoners that would dwarf mine and Kolibri's quarrels to some preschool sandbox mudthrowing game:cool:

The Knautschlings - part 9

The troubles of youth

Despite not even a single battle being concluded with the Russians Denmark is forced to
hand over the island of Gotland to the Russians since it has very little means to defend itself.

k0801.jpg

Faste is absolutely appalled by the infamy of the Russians.
Much rather would he hand over land to the Lotharingians who have fought well
and especially fought at all, instead of just blackmailing exhausted and defenceless countries.
At the beginning of August 1134 the bureaucrats finally finish up the paperwork needed to install Faste
as the rightful King of Mercia and Eire

k0802.jpg

and after the coronation ceremony Faste sends the Don* family into exile.
They find shelter in the land of the dastardly, as henceforth the Kingdom of Russia shall be called
in this story.
The King of Russia immediately grants the Don* family authority over rather large tracts of land in
the Baltics and also over an island that goes by the name of Gotland.
Yes my dear readers, it pains me as much as you to see poor Faste humiliated
this much, lets just hope that he will at least learn some valuable lessons out of this.
Or this.

k0803.jpg

OOC: This is a custom event that we modded in and as you see it is quite expensive (option B is even more expensive).
And the MTTH on that event is just sick, I got it 7 or 8 times in 6 years.

When it comes to politics Denmark now enters unusually quiet times
which gives us a bit of room to focus more on Faste´s personal life.
Before we start with that there is still the unfortunate matter of the death of
Marshal Janko, though, which abruptly ends the line of Danish Marshals from the Ragusa dynasty.
Let us hope their successors will lead the Danish army to comparable successes.

k0804.jpg

Although being a warrior at heart like Janko, Faste does not feel ashamed to use his
position as king to fulfil his own pleasures.
And as such it is no surprise that upon being old enough he does not
marry a young woman from a powerful dynasty as his advisors tell him to,
but instead one that he expects to suit his personal needs which would be mainly
-to cut to the chase-
to satisfy him sexually at any given time.

k0805.jpg

Elisabeth von Nordheim is

k0806.jpg

perfect

k0807.jpg

for

k0808.jpg

that.

k0809.jpg

In fact she is almost a bit too perfect for that and does not stop at satisfying just Faste.

k0810.jpg

Or at least that is what the rumours at court are about.

k0811.jpg

What is not a rumour though, is that Faste does not discharge her of her wifely duties during her starting pregnancy.

k0812.jpg

And here my dear readers ends this chapter, and for the future most of it is insignificant.
But we do have to keep one thing in mind obviously.

k0813.jpg

This is a custom event that we modded in and as you see it is quite expensive (option B is even more expensive).
And the MTTH on that event is just sick, I got it 7 or 8 times in 6 years.

You were suffering a bit from a good Czar versus a child King; Aleksandr has high martial and is Zealous, while Faste still had a low Stewardship, all of which decrease the MTTH. Even so you were a bit unlucky. But in hindsight, I was possibly a teensy bit overzealous with the gold sink. :eek:o

THE ROCKS KNEW HIS NAME

The moss was amazing. It was like velvet under her feet, a gentle caress of the woods, first carrying her like she was flying… and suddenly the green carriage would turn out white and grey, gross thick lichen that would crumble beneath her step and tore her bare toes to scratches.

Simply amazing. The richness and texture in these strange new forests made up almost all answers for Dôn when she asked whether she liked here or not. It was alien and new to her, but yet the power of it bowed in no shame against her own memories of her homeland’s old oak groves.

Her trip had brought her in edge of small canyon, a cut off of some sixty feet’s deep into the grey rock, a hidden stony hill under the velvet green and spruces. Stunted trees tried to reach out from its bottom to match their brothers erected on the actual land level, and the grey rock hold no quarter for anyone. It just stood there, revealed from the brushes and the hollow coldness echoed with Dôn’s dreams over this land…

At the bottom of it, the old man waited.

He was not a mortal, but somehow Dôn didn’t see immortality in him like in some more vivid companions she had met in the Islands. He was more of a ghost, unwanted spirit that no one really welcomed home, no one claimed as its own. A bit like someone, who would be expected to dwell in places like these… Dôn landed down from the hills to the canyon. The sky above the trees was grey and unpleasant, but the warmth of the summer still cuddled Dôn as she slowly walked aside the old man and sat in front of him without any invitation. They just stared each other for some time, neither revealing anything from themselves to the other.

“I have wandered through these lands.”
“Oh, and what have you seen my fair lady then?”

And Dôn smiled as the man poorly hid his image of Dôn as some fancy fairy Queen, too couth for the barren wilderness of this land.

“I’ve seen things.”
“Things?”
“That have brought thoughts to my mind”
“Ah, a philosopher? Thoughts with ideas?”
“Ideas and wondering”
“Of…?”
“mortality, immortality, death and divinity…”
“hmm…”

And Dôn let little smile run across her face as she let the old man ponder her words and look her suspiciously enough to reveal that if these lands ever had any “other side”, that old man was there something not so far away what Dôn used to be for the Fair side in Wales.
A King, and now his powers were questioned by a newcomer from faraway.

“And what did these ideas let you realize?”
“Mmmm…”

And Dôn knew how to remain covert enough to tease the man speak out more that he probably wished for:

“That divinity is in spare and sparse in these lands? Perhaps even sparse enough for a one new goddess?”

It made Dôn smile. Goddess…that was a word she had not heard for long, long time…neither of her children had ever used such title for her. She remembered to been one before more subtle title, Queen of Fairland was given to her, after the one god and his son had arrived the Islands.

“Well In my lands, there was only one god left, with her son and a holy mistress. It seems like that god had not yet arrived here.”
“Oh but it is. Just look: A Missionary of foreign faith sits in front of me!”

And now Dôn laughed out aloud.
“Is it me? Or my children? Does this land hold mothers responsible for the sins of their sons?”
“I don’t know? Have you asked the land about it?”

And the man kept her grin longer than Dôn could hold the confidence in her own. She turned her gaze bit elsewhere and the man had to struggle to keep out too smugness out from his own.

“It is actually what I brought you here to discuss.”
“Oh?”
“Yeas. Children of Dôn are seemed to be quite happy to whack any pagan they see.”
“God move in mysterious ways.”
“God moves like a thief raping and ravaging uninvited.”
“Well what do you want me to do? Tell them to stop? To take our…yours faith instead?”
“Tell them to stop would be sufficient for beginning. Another thing would be great…”
“And that is…?”
“That they could …stop taking them into their service, seek out all able man and wife and give them stool in their court…and after that King of the Cross-believers from Milano sends his letters, the axe falls and time to pick another new unbeliever to the strange play.”

And while the old man explained his concerns, Dôn silently agreed with him in all of this. They were strangers, invited guests and now her children were forcing the old folk to accept their strange and fearsome religion, despite perfectly knowing that their own lineage was not so piteous or deeply baptized as their actions might betray to believe.
Gwydion, son of Dôn, Arnoul’s grand-father had the choice to live a mortal life as Prince of Wales, or to come with Dôn to the fair lands and reign there as a king of the fair folk.

Dôn looked at him. Old and weary, as grey cloth as the rocky slopes of the canyon surrounding him. who was he? Dôn wanted to discover his secrets, his identity, his dreams and his goals…and she wanted not to hide her plans that carefully from him. After all, what harm would such petty competition between them bring?

“I have a suggestion to you.”
“speak out.”
“You tell me … something, something about yourself, and I’ll make my children to kill no more pagans in these lands.”
“Very well then. Speak out then…”
“Hmm…I don’t want to ask you, I want you to tell me.”

But the old man just smiled, in such way that Dôn could never wear him down despite all the powers her own glance concealed inside. He had come to her in a dream, in a misty borderland in the fair side, not so sure whether it belonged to the land of the livings anymore. And in that dream the Man had ruled those who ruled England, just like Dôn could see herself as a mother of her line to do as well. And the man had fled away, and by mere suggestion, Dôn had taken his council and followed him, followed into this northern borderland in Russian edges. Clearly a flight back home for him. The Path they had chosen was something that had been walked before, and the weight of those steps still remained in Dôn’s soles.
Who had walked on that trail? When? And where did it eventually lead? There was hidden greatness deeply buried inside that old man, but Dôn had only faint recollection of any great men from these parts of the world…

And with the smile still remaining in his face, the old man and Dôn departed and she felt herself lost and defeated. The old man had not revealed anything. Dôn still didn’t know his name. The grey rocks and the dark green softwood certainly did.

Last edited:
The Fatimid Caliphate: The state of things pt2

islamy.jpg

Thats the minor to medium players, with Denmark on the fence, now for the big dogs:

The Asian Powers, continued:
10statepers.jpg

The kingdom of Persia and Chaldea

The biggest direct threat to my realm Persia is yet again embroiled in civil wars and has ad its dynasty collapse. Edits are being made to bring it back and I expect it will soon reknit itself and retake the Caucasus and Caspian shores, when its done It will be able to field some 200.000 men from its rich provinces. Having snatched Jerusalem from under my nose early in the game and taking Damascus from me in concert with the Greeks during the Syrian war things were set for war last session, with my newfound power and Persia's troubles the province of Damascus would be mine again! It should be noted that this is the only war I have launched on another player, and with quite modest war goals to boot, despite what certain detractors would falsely claim of the Caliphas peaceful ways.

From my negotiations to regain my land I knew Foelsgaard drove a hard bargain, and so hatched a plan to give him an offer he couldn't refuse. Part 1 consisted of a slew of assassinations to maneuver my vassal Crete into inheriting the strongest Persian vassal; the Emirate of Mosul. For some reason the inherited Mosul had 0 loyalty, rebelled and had to be brought back into line, in the confusion KoM made of with Crete!:eek: Knowing Foels would be to stubborn even to trade a mighty duchy for a single province (and exchange some poor ones to tidy up the map) I launched a concerted assault on the Persian demense. Even with all his demense, save Baghdad, (which I didn't take since Mosul occupied some of his provs I was afraid taking all of them might cause some AI forcepeace shenanigance) and Mosul in my hands he was hard to convince that the exchange of 46 basetaxe worth of provinces for 10 basetax worth of provinces was a reasonable peacedeal! A lesser man would have claimed his kingtitles occupied Baghdad and reduced him to a minor princeling, but I got what I came for in the end and the maps look much prettier now. Much to the delight of the Caliphas cartographers.

With our border now finally where it should naturally be I am hoping we can live in peace, but I fear the Greeks will be plotting nefarious things and war will come again to our war torn lands.

The Colossi:
10staterus.jpg

The Kingdom of All the Russias, Alania, Cuman, Georgia, Lithuania, Serbia, Rostov-Suzdal, Kiev, Chernigov and Finland

The great Russian Bear, just looking at a map of it makes the your mind go 'Dun-dun-duuuun!'. Having won King status very early in the game with the Seljuk inheritance it rapidly annexed a fourth of the map, but entered into a massive bb spiral that took several sessions to get out of. It and Persia got entangled with vassal pledging gone wild but managed to extract themselves from each other peacefully. von Rundstedt doesn't say much, as him playing through Hamashi and not using teamspeak means it is impossible for most of us to communicate with him during the game, he has yet to throw his weight around so as long as one doesn't go about annexing somebody I don't expect him to surprisingly come a knocking (que Denmark). Notable for me is the help given to Croatia in taking Hungary, thus creating a balance against the belligerent Greeks in the Balkans. But what of the remaining Russian holdings in the Balkans? Who will von R give them to? Strengthening Croatia will help keep him out of the Empires sphere, strengthening Greece would help balance Persia but KoM might then turn on Croatia. Perhaps he will try splitting it even in a fit of Solomonic justice?

While not juggling conflicts in the Balkans I am not entirely sure what Russia is up to, rumors of impending conflict with the Empire abound. von R has been known for expansionism and so I wouldn't discount the rumors, but he has little to gain territorially. Perhaps it is simply to cripple a potential adversary, his diplomacy in the middle east certainly indicates a wish to divide and conquer. I would have thought the neighbor of my neighbor would be my friend, but Russia seems content in regarding all the Asian powers as potential trouble. Regardless I do not intend to involve myself in European politics, nor expand at my neighbors expense unless attacked, so I foresee peaceful coexistence with the Rus.

10stateempire.jpg

The Empire of Rome, Germany, Bavaria, Burgundy, Toscana, Lombardy, Luangedoc, Beni Helal and Lord High Protector of Jerusalem

The Empire has been the main benefactor of the Caliphate and managed to attain their position through peaceful inheritance and competent diplomacy. On a strategic level the Empire and Caliphate work well together as our spheres of interest do not clash significantly, providing a secure flank for the both of us. On a personal level I like Fasq's playstyle, him being a predictable player not prone to breaking understandings means it is safe for me to rely on what he says and not having to secure alliances in his back just to be sure. This frees up substantial amounts of troops in case of a third Syrian war.

The Empire currently has a quite bloated demense due to an inheritance, giving him 0% tax efficiency. Even with such a severe handicap it is still fields a massive army capable of taking on any European player, when Fasq gets his realm in order it would take a coalition of most the other players to take him down. Fortunately for him most of the possible contenders are tied up in the British isles. I'm not sure where the Empire stands on that issue but presumably he has a preferred outcome, its all the same to the Caliphate however so I havn't inquired to much. Closer to my interests is the Empires attack on Byzantium that netted the the Empire title (our mod also has a separate King of Byz title, which KoM has) and Constantinople, Constantinople was then given to Croatia in what I assume was an attempt both to bring Croatia into the Imperial sphere and weaken the unreliable Greeks. Since I suspect the Byzantion regiment would be on the way to Alexandria as fast as the galleys could carry it if Kom got his hands on it I prefer he doesn't, and I suspect Fasq would agree. Further we have the question of Galicia;

The last viable AI nation around:
10stategalicia.jpg

The Kingdom of Galicia, Leon and Navarre

The Empire is currently at war with Galicia, but for what goal I am not sure as he has no worthwhile claims on them. If Fasq is out to gain something he should declare on Aquitaine, the Galician vassal that holds the entire French half of the AI realm and whose titles Fasq already claims, and forcevassalize it. Thus closing of southern France and linking up to Imperial Brettagne that was purchased from Russia at the exorbitant price of 8000 gold. :eek: Meanwhile Gollevainen, erstwhile ruler of England, petitions for the Galician crown. But that would bring him into direct existential competition with Toledo, vassal Sultan of the Caliphate!

Speaking of whom:
10statecaliph10.jpg

The Caliphate of Egypt, Egypt, Jerusalem, Africa, Nubia, Hammadid and al-Murabits, with vassal Toledo in light green

Egypt (the kingdom so nice I rule it twice!) brought Toledo under its wings when Oddman had to disappear for a month and a half. To this end much blood, gold, prestige and reputation has been expended with the goal to secure Spain in his absence. Having Galicia a player nation would make Toledo a problematic spot to play come conversion time. (Assuming he returns, I have not heard from him for some time) This of course also brings up the problematic point that I will give up a large part of my power on his return, soldiers and gold dearly needed to protect against my eastern neighbors since Africa and the Levant is mostly dirt poor sand. :( We shall see how this develops.

As for the Caliphate itself I am quite happy with my current borders, having needed only a single dow on a human player. And then only to regain a province taken from my personal demense and some tidying up of the map. Short of finishing of some AI in Spain/Morocco and Sicily/Malta I believe I have reached the natural extent of my realm. The Greeks still hold Crete and the Syrian coast, but these are continuous and so look good on the map, if KoM doesn't attack me or some ally I won't move to take them. So if no one starts any trouble I will spend the next couple of sessions building and maneuvering dynasty members into inheriting titles.

Children of the Fatherland, my very first paradox mp game, so far has been quite enjoyable.
Interestingly while I prefer to be quite straightforward I have noticed that quite some of the players have a different way of looking at how to play the game. As a military man from a military family I tend to think in absolutes, express myself in a precise manner and am quite adverse to back down when committed. Thus the reason I stated quite clearly my early intentions and informed on the Seljuk situation when I discovered they'd gone elective, or announced my plans for the Hammadids and al-Murabits. Thus also the reason I can't simply annex Toledo into my realm despite the rules saying I can when he has been gone 3 sessions in a row after having offered to take care of Toledo (in the non-Capone sense of the word). The veterans do not commit themselves clearly, speak in vague definitions that they can extract themselves from, do not easily give up information on their future intentions and allegiances seem to shift with the chance of personal gain with little regard to previous cooperation. But then again I've been dealing with KoM most of the time. :p

-------------

Will the English situation explode into open warfare?

Will the kerfuffle over Constantinople set the stage for a showdown between the Great Powers?

Will there be peace in the middle east?

Will Frosty have to reread his Machiavelli?

Stay tuned for tomorrows Mupdate of session 11, coming tomorrow!

Last edited:
Arkadios had begun his long career with intrigue and murder to place his eldest son Zenobios on the throne of Georgia - and the poisoned fruit of his labours had disappeared into the all-conquering maw of the Muscovite Czar. Perhaps he was chastened by the experience, or perhaps he merely grew more subtle as he aged; for in spite of his reputation, no whisper of scandal surrounded the accession of his youngest son Thomas to the Purple. Leo Dukas, last of that family, had no male heir of his body, but the union of Arkadios and Leo's daughter Pulcheria produced a son, uniting the two dynasties.

The failing Dukas dynasty had not seen an Emperor take the Purple peacefully since Constantine in 1059, and many both within and without the Empire expected yet another exhausting round of civil wars, with competing claimants striving for the throne. That this did not happen may be attributed to the policies of Arkadios. First, in insisting upon the principle of legitimacy - even to the point of supporting Leo against his own courtiers, rather than taking the throne himself, when his army was actually inside the walls of Constantinople - Arkadios had gained the moral high ground, with respect to the Purple if nothing else; and secondly, the same episode had demonstrated that the Theme of Antioch was capable of marching across Anatolia and brushing aside all opposition. Had Thomas inherited while his elder brother Zenobios ruled Antioch, things might have gone differently; but although Arkadios neared sixty, he remained healthy, and men remembered his swift marches and overwhelming descents. No protests were raised when the Senate acclaimed Thomas as the heir of Leo in 1134, nor upon his accession three years later.

The new Emperor - or rather, Arkadios, acting as regent in all but name - immediately took steps to restore the Empire to strength. Leo had at least managed to put down overt rebellion; but in his declining years he had been forced to acknowledge the upstart King of Gothia as Emperor of Rome (a symbolic loss only, but an important symbol) and, still more immediately painful, to admit a German garrison to Constantinople. About these griefs there was nothing immediate that could be done; but many internal matters could be attended to, and the contrast between the strong hand of a Komnenos and the weak grip of the last Dukas was painful to see. Bandits - most calling themselves 'rebels', and at least in name claiming the Purple for themselves - were cleared from the Greek countryside; a renewed trade partly compensated the loss of Constantinople's revenue. The theme of Samos was reduced to obedience; Epirus was reminded of its tax obligations; the Archbishop of Croatia recognised the supremacy of the Patriarch. Even Crete was recovered, the confusion of the Syrian war hindering the Caliphate in protecting its vassal.

The Empire was still weakened, and surrounded by powerful foes. But a new day had dawned; a powerful new dynasty had taken the Purple, and had swept out the old and tired habit of defeat. Alongside the Eagle, the Two Lions emblem of Antioch now roared defiance at the world; and if that lion was wounded, it was also young and strong.

A wounded lion is the most dangerous foe of all, with but one exception: The ruthless mind of a Komnenos.

Last edited:
Toledo would like to remind you that he will be back, and that the taking-care agreement was made in good faith and that people will remember duplicity.

If only because the ghost of Toledo will hang around declaring past transgressions ad nauseam.

That said, see this as an opportunity to gain a friend, not territory.

Hugs, kisses,

Toledo

Toledo would like to remind you that he will be back, and that the taking-care agreement was made in good faith and that people will remember duplicity.

Now, now, I have conquered half of Spain in your name, which counts for some decent care-taking in my mind. We where just getting worried since you didn't make a peep for some time. In any event the GM has ruled Galicia will remain AI, so you're quite safe. :)

The Toulousian Codex:

Emperors of East & West:

An Emperor Mourns:

The Emperor Leo VII, Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans, had reason to mourn. He had been all his life a puppet of the ambitious Komnenid dynasty, who held him powerless from their military stronghold in the Theme of Antioch, which on its own accounted for two thirds of the military strength of the Empire. Strength that cared not for Turks roving across central Anatolia, or Varangians extracting tribute from half of Greece, but very much for the actions of the man wearing the purple. A sad state, to be sure, but far sadder was the state of his sons, each one of whom had been buried before their father. While proof was (as ever) thin on the ground, with his court saturated by Komnenid agents, and given the unsavoury rumours of the Georgian inheritance, when Arkadios Komnenos manoeuvred his own son, Thomas, to succeed Leo, one cannot blame him for drawing the obvious conclusion. Not content with ruining the Empire from his station as overambitious-vassal-in-chief, Arkadios wanted to ruin the Empire while wearing the purple himself.

But what then could a powerless puppet Emperor do? As self-serving as Arkadios was, he was no less so than any other courtier or Theme-lord in the Empire, among such ambitious and venial men, Leo was already yesterday's man, and the Dukas family yesterday's dynasty. Yet if securing support for a Dukas heir was beyond Leo's power, securing support for a third candidate was not, for Arkadios had made many enemies during his rise. Most important of these were the great families of Constantinople, who still remembered with distaste the entry of Antioch's loutish soldiers into the city almost 40 years before, and removal from power that followed as Arkadios had installed his provincial catamites into the offices of the imperial court and the city. Less important, but still of vital import in the events that followed, were the Bagratuni family, many of whom had been disgraced or murdered in the course of Arkadios' pursuit of the Georgian throne. Together, Dukas, Bagratuni and city patrician would plot the undoing of the Antiochine plans.

An Emperor Celebrates:

In the West, Raimond VI, August Emperor of the Romans, had reason to celebrate. Having just concluded a successful war against the Normans in Southern Italy, his (Western) Roman Empire was the strongest it had been in a generation, his cosmopolitan court, filled with Egyptians, Orthodox Bagratuni, Italians, Russian and even Pagan Balts, was the most cultured in the West since the death of Charlemange, and diplomatic lodestone of the Mediterranean.

The Bagratuni were at that time of particular strength, with on of the sons of the family, Rati, presiding as diocese bishop, and by numbers being the greatest branch of their family to live outside the family's Armenian domains. The family had first come West when Ripsme, daughter of Agsartan, petty-king of Kakheti, had married Duke Guillaume IV of Toulouse. When Antiochine intrigue rendered her family landless, she convinced her husband to grant them sanctuary in his then much more humble realm. Since then, the family had nursed a grudge against the Komenid dogs.

TBC

fasquardon

(Edit: Sorry, KoM, I just couldn't wait for you to do it later in the week :p)

Manpower numbers, not counting currently mobilized forces, as read from the Declare War screen:

Great Powers:
Roman Empire - 320k
Egypt - 320k
Russia - 300k

Second-rank powers:
Denmark - 160k
North Germans - 150k
Persia - 140k

Third-rank powers:
France - 110k
Bulgaria - 100k
Croatia - 90k

Minor Powers:
Poland - 40k

Geography hasn't changed much since KoM put these up the first time, if at all (other than Fasq annexing Galicia), so I don't really think there is much more to say about it.

There is one thing to say, though. Rome increased his manpower by over 100k, and Egypt also grew some (due to the vassalship of Antioch, but who knows how long that'll last). The other big up-and-comer is Croatia, who's manpower grew by 50k.

Last edited:
I'm amused by the difference between Fasquardon's account of the Komnenus Restoration, and my own. :D I must point out, though, that Thomas is not only the son of Arkadios but also the grandson of Leo; it is not as though we had completely wiped out the old dynasty, we have merely united the two.

Session 11; In which absolutely nothing goes King of Men's way :D and the Empire ends Galicia! :eek:

session11.jpg

Toledo is a vassal of the Caliphate, there is a Player in Russian Balto-Finland but I'm not updated on how permanent that is...

Of note:

KoM attacks Croatia to regain Byzantion, unfortunately for him Croatia had through competent diplomacy secured the guarantee of every major power around. The Greeks swiftly fold as 100.000 Fatimid and Imperial troops show up to save the day.

Normandie and the Empire scuffle for Galicia and the Empire comes out on top. Normandie is not pleased. The Caliphate expects any administrative confusions south of the Pyrenees to be ironed out soon.

Some dutch provs fall into the hands of the Empire, we are uninformed as to the Empires standpoint on those. Lotharinga is suspected to not be terribly amused.

The Komnenids get into a family feud and the Caliphate is forced to move in and restore order in the Principality of Antioch, for the good of the childrens! :D

Last edited:
I'm amused by the difference between Fasquardon's account of the Komnenus Restoration, and my own. :D I must point out, though, that Thomas is not only the son of Arkadios but also the grandson of Leo; it is not as though we had completely wiped out the old dynasty, we have merely united the two.

Divergence was indeed the aim :D.

And you can't expect the Imperial propaganda department to be entirely up on the messy details. ;)

fasquardon

LOOK TO THE EAST​

”In search of safety, look to the east!”
And Arnoul and Eudes had followed that dream both had seen and fled from their homes, away from their homeland and sought peace and hiding after their war for England had failed.
”Abandon your wealth and lands, abandon your faith! To the far cold forests you shall flee and do not look back!”
And Arnoul looked to the west and the feeling it brought was nothing that words could describe. The longing, the sorrow…
There were times when Arnoul knew nothing other than where his shipbuilders where and how soon a barque would be ready to sail him back to the windy island his heart still belonged. The north was alien, distant and hostile…his liege hold wrong Christianity and all his subjects were pagans…and Sometimes it seemed like there was some invisible power that wanted to direct all his children to take the new faith of this land…the same invisible power that drove the madness to come here at first place…the same power that brought these crazy heatens to his court to council him in matters that didn’t belong to his world.

“Just go away!”
“Whit all my tidings and news, yeas my lord, I shall go away and leave you in peace, unburdened by the knowledge I carry to you in these days.”

“Wait!”
“My lord…”
“Bah, just speak out…”
“Well…those cross-believers…”
“Which kind?”
“I peg your bardon?”
“Orthodox or Chatolics…”
“Hmm…”
“You do know the difference?”
“Yeas.”
“You are certain?”
“Absolutely…”
“Well, carry on then…”
“Well the cross-believers, they have got a letter from the…”
“WHICH KIND of cross-bel…Christians. Which Church? Mine or my liege’s?”
“Mmmm…The Orthodox…yeas, the orthodoxians, In Memel, they got a letter from their p-po-popish-pop…popeposh, yeas from their popeposh to establish again that chivalry thing, that..that”
“Knighthood?”
“Yeas, Knigthood, the Teutonic order there for banishing the …the …other…?”
“Church?”
“Yeas, the Catho…?”
“Catholics…”
“Yeas, Catholics from the Baltic’, and also the folk of the true…hmm…the forest faith.”
“Oh did they?”
“Yeas.”
“So the orthodoxian Pope…popeposh whatever formed an order of knights to drive away the heretics and again stole the land from me?”
“Yeas. That misfortune took place indeed.”
“And so Yet I have to ask more scorn of god upon me when I fougth against the will of the …popeposh.”
“Well not exactly…”
“I don’t?”
“Well, you see…the Tsar, your liege have already took liberty of erasing such thread to their church and took Memel under their personal property.”
“I see..”
“ Yeas…”
“My liege whom’s church was…?”
“Mmm…”
“Speak it out…”
“…mumbles…mmm….east was true…west false, Dôns came…”
“Yeas?”
“Mmmm….”
“Exactly… Now, if you have other fables to share with me, be my guest, but if not, then I deeply recommend you to leave now…leave immediately!”
“Offcourse my lord...”

Arnoul buried his face inside his palms. The silence inside the halls of Visby was deep and yet it was a loud as any sound of sigh that man could pour upon his lungs.
The storm winds flew swiftly cross the World and what were yesterday’s allies and friends might easily become the foes of the tomorrow. Arnoul didn’t want to lose his faith. He didn’t want to baptize himself again to the new beliefs his children already hold, but yet he foresaw them as tomorrow, and if he and his family would ever secure fortunes in their new home, He would have to bend himself and kiss the toes of his Tsar…not only as his liege, but as his patronage as well.

“Oh Dôn the foremother, Where have you brought us? Where is the west that once roamed against the cliffs with power of ever ending ocean? Ireland, Wales, Gwynned and England, will I ever set my foot upon you again?”

there is a Player in Russian Balto-Finland but I'm not updated on how permanent that is...

As Gallicia is now gone, It will be as permanent for me trough this CK period than any place would be.